Need help installing Snow Leopard on P6T-SE

kungfupanda

87 posts in this topic

I tried many different guides but I cant boot into the Snow Leopard installer for some reason.... when booting with -v -f, the installer always hangs at "AppleAHCIDiskQueueManager Timeout" Update: Now it hangs at "AppleRTL8169Ethernet : Ethernet address 00:26:18:5a:94:1e" Please Help.

EDIT: Here is a quick summary of what i did:

1) I restored the Snow Leopard Installer image to my pendrive

2) I installed Chameleon RC3 and PC EFI 10v3

3) I placed my kexts (snow leopard ready) and rebooted

4) The installer hangs at booting

PS: I don't have an already working Leopard Installation but I have a MacBook with Snow Leopard installed. Your Help is very much appreciated.

I'll attach my kext pack when I get home tonight. It works flawlessly on my machine (except sleep)

When i boot the installer it hangs differently sometimes it hangs at "REALTEK: Set MAC Reg C+CR Offset 0xE0: bit-3" now it hangs at "AppleRTL8169Ethernet : Ethernet address 00:26:18:5a:94:1e". Previously it hangs at AppleAHCIDiskQueueManager Timeout". Can you tell me how you managed to get Snow Leopard installed on your system?

I saw one of your previous posts saying that you used this guide "http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=183751" but you modified it with the kexts needed for the P6TSE. Are those the kexts you mentioned above? One more question: did you use chameleon RC3 or RC2?

Thanks,

kungfupanda

Hey man, I totally forgot I promised to post those kexts last night. Dunno what sparked my memory just now, but whatever...

Ok, so I'm using RC3. That's a must.

Attached are the kexts I use. It took me a while to figure out what I needed, but once I did it was smooth sailing. Enjoy!

Oh yeah, let me know if you want my DSDT.aml too. Dunno if you've already patched for HT and 4 cores.

kexts.zip

Hey man, I totally forgot I promised to post those kexts last night. Dunno what sparked my memory just now, but whatever...

Ok, so I'm using RC3. That's a must.

Attached are the kexts I use. It took me a while to figure out what I needed, but once I did it was smooth sailing. Enjoy!

Oh yeah, let me know if you want my DSDT.aml too. Dunno if you've already patched for HT and 4 cores.

Thanks a lot for the kexts. :thumbsup_anim: I will try them out this weekend when I have the time. I just tried them out a minute ago but unfortunately the installer still hangs at "AppleRTL8169Ethernet : Ethernet address 00:26:18:5a:94:1e". I haven't managed to patch my DSDT yet so I will certainly need yours, especially if your DSDT is patched to work with HT and 4 cores (i'm assuming you have nearly the same components as I do) Can you please tell me exactly how you managed to get your setup working? It is becoming really frustrating for me as I have tried for over a week nonstop but I haven't succeeded. Yet. I haven't even been able to boot into the Snow Leopard Installer but with your help I think it can be done. I am hoping that I can get Snow Leopard installed by this weekend. Thanks for all your help so far.

I have two more questions:

1)Do I need to patch the UUID.kext with the UUID of the hard drive I want to install Snow Leopard on?

2)Did you use PC EFI 10v3 with Chameleon RC3 or did you use PC EFI 10v2?

kungfupanda

First to answer your questions:

1) No

2) I've used both Chameleon RC3 and now I'm using PC EFI 10v3. Works fine either way.

Attached you'll find my DSDT.aml. If you don't get up and running I'll start a new thread with exact steps to how I got my SL up and running. You found the original thread I used, so you could probably piece it together, but I like writing guides, so I may give it a shot on Saturday while I'm watching college football.

dsdt.zip

First to answer your questions:

1) No

2) I've used both Chameleon RC3 and now I'm using PC EFI 10v3. Works fine either way.

Attached you'll find my DSDT.aml. If you don't get up and running I'll start a new thread with exact steps to how I got my SL up and running. You found the original thread I used, so you could probably piece it together, but I like writing guides, so I may give it a shot on Saturday while I'm watching college football.

Ok I will give it another try with the DSDT you provided. I've been looking for a guide on how to install Snow Leopard on P6T-SE since there isn't one available right now. I am looking forward to reading your thread. (if you start one) Thanks for all your help.

EDIT: I tried the original thread you used and added the kexts and dsdt that you attached but I still get stuck at "AppleRTL8169Ethernet : Ethernet address 00:26:18:5a:94:1e". Hope your thread will get my SL up and running.

kungfupanda

Ok here's one last trick to try:

Download the attached zip file. Use the 3 files included along with the DSDT.aml and put them in your /Extra folder. Hopefully that'll allow you to boot. Delete any other kexts that you're using (with the exception of anything that might enable your HD4870...but it looks like it might be natively supported).

So your extra folder should contain 4 files: DSDT.aml, Extensions.mkext, smbios.plist, com.apple.Boot.plist

extra.zip

Ok here's one last trick to try:

Download the attached zip file. Use the 3 files included along with the DSDT.aml and put them in your /Extra folder. Hopefully that'll allow you to boot. Delete any other kexts that you're using (with the exception of anything that might enable your HD4870...but it looks like it might be natively supported).

So your extra folder should contain 4 files: DSDT.aml, Extensions.mkext, smbios.plist, com.apple.Boot.plist

Ok, will try with the new extra folder you attached. Are you planning on starting the thread you were talking about?

I have an Asus P6T SE, installed 10.6.0 on it

The biggest problems are

a. SATA

b. Sound

For SATA, make sure you have drives on SATA channels 1 and 2 ( and DVD ROM on channel 3). Otherwise it is really flaky. Get a decent DSDT.dsl and make sure you have the SATA fix for IRQs ( check out the thread by TheKing ) http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=564

b. Sound => Nothing yet :thumbsup_anim: But I use an external USB headset so at least Skype etc can work

Prep: Make sure BIOS is set to AHCI mode. Turn off HT from BIOS. Get DSDT patcher from anywhere installed on installer USB key, you'll also need a basic minimum of kexts - fakesmc, openhaltrestart, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector, AHCIPortInjector, NullCPUPowerManagement - in the /Extra folder on your SL installer USB key. You can via DSDT patcher try to generate the DSDT manually from a terminal in SL installer, but first try to get one that works.

Booting to Installer : I used Chameleon RC2, RC3 should also work. Use any DSDT that let's you boot (attached mine) and make sure it has the SATA IRQ fixes. Use -v and -x32 or arch=i386 for boot time arguments. This lets you see what is going on. I got hangs at the "AppleRTL8169Ethernet : Ethernet address XX:XX:XX:XX ". The hangs are due to the SATA drive.

WAIT patiently when it hangs ... it hangs for 20 ~ 30 mins and then proceeds to the GUI installer. If the GUI does show and doesnt let you select your HDD - or if DiskUtility beachballs - you know it is a problem with the SATA drives. Try switching SATA drive channels and turning off JMicron controller in BIOS.

Installing: The Installer will warn you at the end that it ' Cannot Restart / Cannot set Startup Disk ' and ' Installation Failed ' - this is normal and SL will work fine. Don't worry about it.

Post Install: Boot back with Chameleon /PC EFI. Run the chameleon installer, chose the SL drive and install. If not already done, generate your own DSL, edit with the fixes. Reboot and check system logs to see that you dont have error messages. Check forums for UUID and SMBIOS patches. Create the /Extra folder on the SL drive and copy kext extensions there. I don't use Extensions.mkext as the difference in boot speed is hardly noticeable ( It is when you have 50 ~ 60 kexts ). Get the system stable before you decide to have your video card working. You can install and run in 1024 x 768 mode so not a problem.

DSDT.zip

I have an Asus P6T SE, installed 10.6.0 on it

The biggest problems are

a. SATA

b. Sound

For SATA, make sure you have drives on SATA channels 1 and 2 ( and DVD ROM on channel 3). Otherwise it is really flaky. Get a decent DSDT.dsl and make sure you have the SATA fix for IRQs ( check out the thread by TheKing ) http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=564

b. Sound => Nothing yet :thumbsup_anim: But I use an external USB headset so at least Skype etc can work

Prep: Make sure BIOS is set to AHCI mode. Turn off HT from BIOS. Get DSDT patcher from anywhere installed on installer USB key, you'll also need a basic minimum of kexts - fakesmc, openhaltrestart, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector, AHCIPortInjector, NullCPUPowerManagement - in the /Extra folder on your SL installer USB key. You can via DSDT patcher try to generate the DSDT manually from a terminal in SL installer, but first try to get one that works.

Booting to Installer : I used Chameleon RC2, RC3 should also work. Use any DSDT that let's you boot (attached mine) and make sure it has the SATA IRQ fixes. Use -v and -x32 or arch=i386 for boot time arguments. This lets you see what is going on. I got hangs at the "AppleRTL8169Ethernet : Ethernet address XX:XX:XX:XX ". The hangs are due to the SATA drive.

WAIT patiently when it hangs ... it hangs for 20 ~ 30 mins and then proceeds to the GUI installer. If the GUI does show and doesnt let you select your HDD - or if DiskUtility beachballs - you know it is a problem with the SATA drives. Try switching SATA drive channels and turning off JMicron controller in BIOS.

Installing: The Installer will warn you at the end that it ' Cannot Restart / Cannot set Startup Disk ' and ' Installation Failed ' - this is normal and SL will work fine. Don't worry about it.

Post Install: Boot back with Chameleon /PC EFI. Run the chameleon installer, chose the SL drive and install. If not already done, generate your own DSL, edit with the fixes. Reboot and check system logs to see that you dont have error messages. Check forums for UUID and SMBIOS patches. Create the /Extra folder on the SL drive and copy kext extensions there. I don't use Extensions.mkext as the difference in boot speed is hardly noticeable ( It is when you have 50 ~ 60 kexts ). Get the system stable before you decide to have your video card working. You can install and run in 1024 x 768 mode so not a problem.

Thanks very much for the reply. You seem to have experienced the exact problems I am facing now regarding the "AppleRTL8169Ethernet : Ethernet address XX:XX:XX:XX". I got it to boot to the installer once but then Disk Utility beachballs like you said. I am assuming your DSDT has the IRQ fix you were talking about? Also, how do you run DSDT Patcher from Terminal in the SL Installer? What fixes do I need to apply to a newly generated DSDT?

Thanks very much for the reply. You seem to have experienced the exact problems I am facing now regarding the "AppleRTL8169Ethernet : Ethernet address XX:XX:XX:XX". I got it to boot to the installer once but then Disk Utility beachballs like you said. I am assuming your DSDT has the IRQ fix you were talking about? Also, how do you run DSDT Patcher from Terminal in the SL Installer?

Yes the DSDT I attached has the fix.

Use the forums here - plenty of posts on where to get and how to use the patcher. Get the script version not the GUI version.

If you wish to use the patcher under SL installer, boot with -s ( single user mode ) and remount SL installer disk as read/write. Run GetDSDT or similar and get the dsl file. Then run sync and reboot ( so your USB stick isn't corrupted ) and you can complete the DSDT editing & compiling somewhere else ( like your MacBook ) with the tools. Or you can use nano / ed / vi ( if installed ) to do the same on the installer USB itself

The changes to the DSDT involve deleting IRQs for HPET, TMR, PIC and RTC0 devices. The thread linked above has the info.

I didn't need to perform any of those steps. How superfluous!

My BIOS is 0504. Dunno what you guys are using, but it may make a difference.

@harshw: My audio works with the kexts I attached in an earlier thread. Try them out (HDAEnabler and AppleHDA)...

I didn't need to perform any of those steps. How superfluous!

My BIOS is 0504. Dunno what you guys are using, but it may make a difference.

@harshw: My audio works with the kexts I attached in an earlier thread. Try them out (HDAEnabler and AppleHDA)...

Will you be starting the thread that you mentioned? I haven't had any luck with the installation yet. I'm not sure but I think that my bios is 0403 if I upgrade my bios, will the install be smoother?

Yes the DSDT I attached has the fix.

Use the forums here - plenty of posts on where to get and how to use the patcher. Get the script version not the GUI version.

If you wish to use the patcher under SL installer, boot with -s ( single user mode ) and remount SL installer disk as read/write. Run GetDSDT or similar and get the dsl file. Then run sync and reboot ( so your USB stick isn't corrupted ) and you can complete the DSDT editing & compiling somewhere else ( like your MacBook ) with the tools. Or you can use nano / ed / vi ( if installed ) to do the same on the installer USB itself

The changes to the DSDT involve deleting IRQs for HPET, TMR, PIC and RTC0 devices. The thread linked above has the info.

Ok. I will give your DSDT a try first but if it fails i will attempt to generate my own.

Will you be starting the thread that you mentioned? I haven't had any luck with the installation yet. I'm not sure but I think that my bios is 0403 if I upgrade my bios, will the install be smoother?

Yep. Midday Saturday.

Ok thanks very much. I tried again but now it's hanging at "AppleAHCIDiskQueueManager: set power state timeout"

Is this with the fixed DSDT.aml ? Are you on BIOS 0503 ? Make sure the drive you wish to install is the FIRST drive in the SATA port. Disable or disconnect all other SATA HDD & DVD drives and also disable HT in BIOS. If you're overclocking either type busratio=xx ( where xx is the mult ) in the chameleon / PC EFI startup, along with the -v & -x32/arch=i386 options or then get down to stock speeds.

Looking forward to it as well. I've tried so many installation methods but can't seem to find one that works.

The P6T SE and SL don't get along well as far as SATA is concerned. That's the only problem. Once you get over that, SL 10.6 is great on this motherboard. I'm running 10.6 64 bit with PC EFI 10.3 and it is very stable

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=189052

Go ahead and start posting there if you have any issues (or alternatively if it's successful for you). There may still be some kinks I missed when following the guide during my reinstall.

Thanks for the excellent guide man. It is very detailed. I will give it a try. (right now) Hopefully it will get my setup up and running.

kungfupanda,

I recommend just giving my guide a run through and see if it works for you. Hopefully it will. I followed the steps today and did a fresh install on a spare hard drive. It worked great. The only thing I would recommend that I may have left out in the guide is to plug in your OS X hard drive to SATA port 1. I've had ZERO problems with any of the SATA ports on my board installing this way. It's been very nice.

@harshw: You know that booting with the arch=1386 or -x32 flags means you aren't running 64-bit mode, right? You can see this under the Software section of the System Profiler. It'll say that you're running 64-bit kernel and extensions.

kungfupanda,

I recommend just giving my guide a run through and see if it works for you. Hopefully it will. I followed the steps today and did a fresh install on a spare hard drive. It worked great. The only thing I would recommend that I may have left out in the guide is to plug in your OS X hard drive to SATA port 1. I've had ZERO problems with any of the SATA ports on my board installing this way. It's been very nice.

@harshw: You know that booting with the arch=1386 or -x32 flags means you aren't running 64-bit mode, right? You can see this under the Software section of the System Profiler. It'll say that you're running 64-bit kernel and extensions.

Can I plug in my Windows Hard Drive into SATA port 2 while installing?

@harshw: Yes, I was using the DSDT you attached and I had 2 Hard Drives plugged in but they were in SATA 1 and 2 like you told me earlier. Regarding the bios, I am using 0403. I am going to upgrade my bios soon. I am not overclocking (at the moment) I just want to get SL installed before attempting anything else. I always boot with (-v -f arch=i386)

kungfupanda