GA-EP45-UD3L Snow Leopard Install Guide v1.0 for Newbies

Gurujee

544 posts in this topic

same drive. I am trying something hope it works, I booted a linux partition cd and mounted the c drive and put it as boot which it wasn't before , then I put back the win7 install dvd to fix errors and so far it is at least attempting to fix or go through it.Hope it works.Thks

That is good news........it is safer to have Windows 7 and OS X on separate HDDs.......

I see that now about the hard drive thing (I have another old hard drive which is ide and only 5400 rpm and putting snow on that might not work,and might be slow).

I think the osx snow is pretty much finished. All it does is kernel panics. I have it backed up to a external drive but have no clue how to restore it if I can't get in to snow?

I see that now about the hard drive thing (I have another old hard drive which is ide and only 5400 rpm and putting snow on that might not work,and might be slow).

I think the osx snow is pretty much finished. All it does is kernel panics. I have it backed up to a external drive but have no clue how to restore it if I can't get in to snow?

Install Leopard using a distro such as iPC 10.5.6, or iATKOS v7, or iDeneb 10.5.8 etc. to set up your IDE HDD in two volumes......one for Leopard and one for Snow Leopard......install Leopard using the distro DVD and use Leopard to try restore SL from the external HDD.........

Thks for reply , you mean use that slow hard drive to install 10.5.6 and then restore snow on there. Wouldn't that be too slow ?

How about that problem in windows ,it boots but desktop has no picture.Thks

It will be slower than a 7200 rpm drive but at least you have a chance of sorting out Snow Leopard using Leopard........

As Windows, have you tried

1) Reboot and press F8

2) Select "Repair my computer"

3) Select the keyboard layout and language

4) Under System Recovery Tools, select System Restore.

5) Select the restore point when it last worked 100% and reboot

I did all this exactly and to be true it worked that way only! Kext Helper the first time didn't help me.. something about placing AppleHDA inside mkext cached extensions breaks it, so i cleared caches, did a disk utility check/perms, touched extensions to be new, rebooted and i got that..

i haven't tried removing the tv card, but i think it's going to be the same, cause clicks and pops, i had'em before the tv card but then i was using voodoohda.. hm.. need to test more.. :S :(

Heh, now you see how awful is the situation.. ;)

I never used the voodoo method and never heard the clicks and pops here and we have same ALC888 in our boards, so, technically, it should work same way, right?

Well, testing is a way to realize what's happening. Try removing the TV Card and using the AppleHDA.kext from tmonkgol kext to see what happens.

Let me know the results.

Cheers,

bb.

I ran sfc and it says csi area is corrupt and cannot fix errors.

I found this procedure in Microsoft Answers forum, which may help you:

Hi ayjayar,

If the System File Checker tool cannot repair a file, follow these steps:

1. At an elevated command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

takeown /f Path_And_File_Name

For example, type takeown /f E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll.

2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER to grant administrators full access to the file:

icacls Path_And_File_Name /GRANT ADMINISTRATORS:F

For example, type icacls E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll /grant administrators:F.

3. Type the following command to replace the file with a known good copy of the file:

Copy Path_And_File_Name_Of_Source_File Path_And_File_Name_Of_Destination

For example, type copy E:\temp\jscript.dll E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll.

Refer the link below for more information:

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

If the issues are not fixed after the above process, the next step would be to do a startup repair:

Startup Repair is a Windows recovery tool that can fix certain system problems that might prevent Windows from starting. Startup Repair scans your computer for the problem and then tries to fix it so your computer can start correctly.

Refer:

Startup Repair: frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Startup-Repair-frequently-asked-questions

Additional info:

What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Gokul - Microsoft Support

Thks for that but I don't know the path or the file nmae so I don't know what to write down in command prompt?Thks anyways.

Try accessing the CBS.log......see here..........

I lost everything I tried everything and did a clean install of win7 ,it was needed anyways I had not done it in years.I now need to set up osx again on different hard drive but ide drive is a pain right now. Thks

As for booting in 32bit mode vs 64bit mode..........I would recommend that you initially get the system working 100% in 32bit mode........

This is because the 64-bit kernel is only used by default in the 2008 and later Xserve rack mounted servers capable of using up to 48 GiB of memory, but also 2008 and later Mac Pros and the mid 2010 Mac Mini when running 10.6.x Server. All other Macs (apart from the mid 2010 Mac Pros) use the 32/64-bit hybrid kernel by default because their hardware doesn’t support more than 32 GiB of memory, and since Snow Leopard is completely backwards-compatible with 32-bit applications and runs 64-bit applications regardless of whether it boots into a 64-bit or a 32-bit kernel, running the purely 64-bit kernel has little significant advantage........

I am not saying that there are no advantages, just that they are not as yet critically significant to the majority of OS X users...........the advantages being that the 64bit OS X kernel has the ability to [1] set up a memory address space for itself greater than 32-bits (4GB) and [2] access the full x64 register set of 64-bit CPUs..........hence, Apple is gradually increasing the number of Mac models that boot by default into the 64bit kernel.........

This Mac uses the 64-bit kernel by default in Mac OS X v10.6.

• Mac Pro (Mid 2010)

These Macs use the 64-bit kernel by default in Mac OS X Server 10.6.

• Xserve (Early 2008) and later
  • Mac Pro (Early 2008) and later
  • Mac mini (Mid 2010)

These Macs support the 64-bit kernel, but do not use it by default.

• iMac (Early 2008) and later
  • MacBook Pro (Early 2008) and later

And, as for the Mac Pros (Mid 2010) using the 64-bit kernel by default in Mac OS X v10.6:

4 x 2.8 GHz cores with 4 RAM slots supporting up to 32GB RAM Price: US$2499

6 x 3.33 GHz cores with 4 RAM slots supporting up to 32GB RAM Price: US$3699

8 x 2.4 GHz cores with 8 RAM slots supporting up to 64GB RAM Price: US$3499

12 x 2.66 GHz cores with 8 RAM slots supporting up to 64GB RAM Price: U$4999

would you call the "buyers" of these Mac Pro computers, "regular users", or "power users".........? :D

Furthermore, regarding Windows 7:

Pros and Cons of a 64 bit system:

• You can address much more than 4GB of memory, which is ideal for avid gamers, CAD, video editors and heavy multi-taskers. However, any 32 bit software you use will still be restricted to 4GB memory – you need a 64 bit CPU, OS and applications to take full advantage of the extra RAM.
  • 16 bit applications will no longer run. Although this is unlikely to be a problem, if you use very old software (from the Windows 3.1 days!) then it will not work under a 64 bit OS.
  • Existing 32 bit drivers no longer work.If you have older or poorly supported hardware you may find that it can no longer be used. Got a 7 year old scanner that just about works in Vista? You may not be able to get it working in 64 bit Windows 7.
  • Unsigned kernel-mode drivers no longer work. Along with the issue above, the inability to run unsigned kernel mode drivers will cause problems for old hardware. (There is reportedly a way to bypass this check).
  • Running some 32 bit applications on a 64 bit OS could actually be slower. The additional overheads in running 32 bit software in 64 bit mode could cause a slight degradation in performance. It will take some time for 64 bit software to become the norm.

The Windows system needs a full 64bit kernel to work at its best because the 32bit kernel Windows system is very limited, whereas Mac OS X is different because the 32bit kernel is capable of launching and running 64bit processes, i.e. applications.......... :(

Latest and bad news..

Cartri, the mac custom bios for ga mobos creator, has stopped the development and support to his project/s. It is "closed" as a project (quote)... So now I (and others using his bios') will try rolling back to stock bios and the use Kexts and stuff, well slower boot and patches and fixes and strings, damn.. I loved that project..

People pushed'im too much, he was feeling like an employ or something. He is right in some point, but, when there is a project like that, you can't decide in an day "I'm dropping the whole thing up" find someone to sustain or continue it.. Anyways I'm not trying to be pushy too.. It's his to control, we follow his decision..

I'll commit my self now to other projects (kakewalk/[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]-[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]) and help/support'em as much as I can..

Hope you change your mind man..

A loyal subject !

Latest and bad news..

Cartri, the mac custom bios for ga mobos creator, has stopped the development and support to his project/s. It is "closed" as a project (quote)... So now I (and others using his bios') will try rolling back to stock bios and the use Kexts and stuff, well slower boot and patches and fixes and strings, damn.. I loved that project..

People pushed'im too much, he was feeling like an employ or something. He is right in some point, but, when there is a project like that, you can't decide in an day "I'm dropping the whole thing up" find someone to sustain or continue it.. Anyways I'm not trying to be pushy too.. It's his to control, we follow his decision..

I'll commit my self now to other projects (kakewalk/[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]-[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]) and help/support'em as much as I can..

Hope you change your mind man..

A loyal subject !

Well mate, it's really a shame that this project is closed.

It's an amazing project for the Gigabyte mobo owners.

But sometimes people doesn't have the time to support a huge project like that.

I won't stop using his BIOS for now.

Until 10.6.7 LION is out, I'll be using it.

Maybe in LION we will need different stuff to boot system or you can just keep using his BIOS... we don't know the future in the next version of OS X.

We used to have DSDT's, lots of kexts, patched kexts, strings and none of this stopped us on searching for the perfect rock solid system. So, the close of his project, won't stop us anyway.

Let go ahead. IM won't stop because of that. Another ways of having OS X will come up. ;)

The project was amazing but for now it's over. This is not Michael Jackson, but THIS IS IT. LOL !!

Cheers,

bb.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...