How to bypass /Extra from Loading?

9 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Is there a way to bypass "/Extra" from loading at boot-up with a kernel flag?

The reason I want this is that I have installed Snow Leopard and Leopard in my external hdd.

This is how I configured my External HDD:

Partition 1 = 30gb Snow Leopard Installed and this is where /Extra is installed (Chameleon RC3 Installed)

Partition 2 = 30gb Leopard and there is no /Extra

Partition 3 = 20gb NTFS

I'm having problems booting in my Leopard partition because it loads the /Extra from the Snow Leopard partition as it was designed like that. Of course, my Leopard will have errors from the Snow kext.

If it is not possible to bypass /Extra, what other methods do you suggest?

Thank you.

Hi all,

Is there a way to bypass "/Extra" from loading at boot-up with a kernel flag?

The reason I want this is that I have installed Snow Leopard and Leopard in my external hdd.

This is how I configured my External HDD:

Partition 1 = 30gb Snow Leopard Installed and this is where /Extra is installed (Chameleon RC3 Installed)

Partition 2 = 30gb Leopard and there is no /Extra

Partition 3 = 20gb NTFS

I'm having problems booting in my Leopard partition because it loads the /Extra from the Snow Leopard partition as it was designed like that. Of course, my Leopard will have errors from the Snow kext.

If it is not possible to bypass /Extra, what other methods do you suggest?

Thank you.

I dont have this problem!

My /Extra folders are loaded from the partition I boot.

Did you install Chameleon RC3 on the Leopard partition?

Thanks for your reply.

I tried installing Chameleon in my Leopard partition but it overwrites the one from my Snow Leopard. My Leopard becomes the active partition. If I do that, my problem now switches. So instead of having problems in Leopard, I now have problems with Snow leopard because it is loading the /Extra from my Leopard partition.

I guess you have a successful dual boot (snow leo and leo) in your hdd as well? Where did you install Chameleon RC3?

Both of your Snow Leo and Leo partitions, have /Extra?

THanks.

Thanks for your reply.

I tried installing Chameleon in my Leopard partition but it overwrites the one from my Snow Leopard. My Leopard becomes the active partition. If I do that, my problem now switches. So instead of having problems in Leopard, I now have problems with Snow leopard because it is loading the /Extra from my Leopard partition.

I guess you have a successful dual boot (snow leo and leo) in your hdd as well? Where did you install Chameleon RC3?

Both of your Snow Leo and Leo partitions, have /Extra?

THanks.

my install is weird so here it goes

on a 200g Maxtor I have

Leopard as the 1st Partition

SL install cd restored 2nd partition

Snow Leopard 3rd partition

I installed rc3 on all partitions

all the drives have /Extra folders

I have kext in the /extra on install and snow but not leopard.

Sorry I cant help anymore then that.

Hey,

I almost have the exact same thing except the SL Install (Which I had before, but removed it).

I also tried

rd=diskXsX (replaced X with the right ones) and it still doesn't work.

Now, I tried booting to Leopard using the /Extra of Snow (because bootloader RC3 is installed in Snow Partition), which made it reach the deskotp, but my Leopard is unstable. I remembered seeing some yellow lines when booting in -v. I know that those errors were the cause of instability.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

Did you use a rc3 install pkg?

I did not. I used a rc2 install pkg then I d/l the Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-bin and copied out the boot file.

So on my system that boot file loads from the leo partition then im in the choice screen & which one I choose boots with that /extra folder.

You are not the only person to have this question on this forum.

I wonder why mine works diff then yours?

I used the RC3 installer by Dr. Hurt. I'm going to try what you suggest! That would really make sense. I never thought of it though.

I really don't know why my other partitions load the /Extra from the Snow partition. I just did a clean install, now it is from my Hard drive. It does the same thing. :(

I'll try the RC2 Package and install the boot file from 658. Did you chown/chmod the boot file? Or just copy it?

I used the RC3 installer by Dr. Hurt. I'm going to try what you suggest! That would really make sense. I never thought of it though.

I really don't know why my other partitions load the /Extra from the Snow partition. I just did a clean install, now it is from my Hard drive. It does the same thing. :(

I'll try the RC2 Package and install the boot file from 658. Did you chown/chmod the boot file? Or just copy it?

Just copied it.

Chameleon_2.0_RC3_r658_bin.tar

Chameleon_2.0_RC2_r640.pkg.zip

Not Yet Solved! But almost fixed.

I also posted here in the Chameleon Site Forum:

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/...34.html#msg3434

Thanks to hernandito!

The /Extra/10.5 doesn't load. The 10.6 does.

Another problem is:

I have two dsdt.aml - My dsdt.aml from Snow leopard doesn't work in Leopard. It kernel panics in Leopard. The kernel panic is probably caused by the CMOS Reset fix from Snow dsdt.aml.

The dsdt from Leopard, works on both but the cmos reset will not work in Snow (as expected).

So I need to know how to load two dsdt.aml files in two separate folders, without typing DSDT= as a kernel flag.

Thanks!

Just copied it.

Thanks for uploading the files. But I think there is a way to bypass it using some tricks that are new features in RC3. I've partially solved it with the help of hernandito from chameleon forum. I still have some problems though. I hope it can be fixed.

Cheers!

:rolleyes: