Windows won't boot after a failed Snow Leopard Install

1 post in this topic

OK. Here we go.

So I've been on a rather stable Leopard/Win7 dual boot on my Asus S96S laptop for the last week. A few days ago I got the idea that I just had to get Snow Leopard on there. I tried out a bunch of the Vanilla install guides, each of which resulted in an instant kernel panic when it tried to boot from the installer (the image was restored to an external USB hard drive). The same thing happened with three different guides and I decided I was happy enough just having Leopard. I gave up on Snow Leopard (for the time being) and went to boot Windows: this is where the problems start

Apparently at some point I made Chameleon my primary bootloader, rather than a temporary one for the Mac install. As it exists now, I have the choice between Leopard and a Windows NTFS, which, when selected, brings me to the EasyBCD menu I had been using before I tried to get Snow Leopard working.

When I select Windows 7 from the EasyBCD menu, I get a glorious black error screen telling me that Windows could not, in fact, boot, because a "required device is inaccessible: 0xc000000e." It kindly suggests that this could be due to a hardware change, and that I should run the Windows repair utility from the Windows disk. When I try to do that, it doesn't find a Windows install on my computer.

There's been no hardware change since I started my Snow Leopard installation attempts. Anything that I switched around in the bios is back to what it was before. The only thing I can think of is that Chameleon is conflicting with EasyBCD, although I could be wrong. I don't see how my Windows installation could have even been touched by anything I was doing to install Snow Leopard; I didn't even get as far in the installation as to choose a partition to install it to.

It's been my experience here that most of you people are incredibly intelligent and helpful. I'd really appreciate some thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Relevant system specs: Laptop, Asus S96S mobo, dual booting Win7 and Leopard from two separate partitions on one 150gb hard drive