[How-to] Vanilla 10.6 Install for Dell Vostro 410

tagavor

7 posts in this topic

I am a rookie. This is the first time in my life I’ve used a mac, and as of this writing I have been using a mac for less than 72 hours. That said, I think I can give some pointers to other Vostro 410 users to get them on their feet with a shiny new 10.6 install.

This is not so much a guide in its own right as it is a quick reference sheet to many other guides and posts which I have shamelessly gathered this information from.

Step 1: Have a running OSX install already.

You need an existing OSX install. If you don’t have one, install 10.5.6

You can install iPC OSX 10.5.6 PPF5 in about 15 minutes by using the following options in “customize install”

§ Audio: ALC888 (Legacy)

§ ICH* SATA Patch

§ DSDT SMBIOS Patch

§ UUID Fix

§ OpenHaltRestart Fix

Step 2: DSDT.aml file

Start with the most painful process first. You need to make your dsdt.aml file.

This is the key to success if you want a vanilla install where you don’t touch any of the base OSX files.

I am very confused by the DSDT, but I was able to muster one together that is actually working pretty well for me. There are many posts on DSDT on insanelymac, and remember, I’ve only been doing this for 72 hours so if my steps don’t work I probably can’t help you J

Here is the process I used:

1. Download DSDTSE from here: http://www.osx86.es/?p=610

2. Click Tools > Extract DSDT

This will pull together a DSDT for your running 10.5 system

3. Now go ahead and click Tools > Compile DSDT

4. You will get several errors. Look at the errors, then fix them one at a time by finding the errors in the dropdown on the left that says “DSDT Fixes” and manually editing your DSDT.dsl. Go ahead and recompile until you have no more errors (I had 0 errors and 2 warnings, which seems ok so far)

5. Once you’ve got a fixed up DSDT, we need to add some hacks to it to prepare it for 10.6. Click on the DSDT Hacks Dropdown, and open up the following hacks:

a. HPET

b. _WAK

c. Snow Leopard CMOS

6. Follow the instructions on each of those hacks to get them properly inserted into your DSDT.dsl file

7. Recompile, check your errors, and fix them one by one by using the Fixes dropdown.

8. We need to get the audio setup in the DSDT, which took me forever but here is where I finally found the answer

a. Download this guide: http://www.mediafire.com/?iwyzmjggwjm

b. His PDF is for gigabyte boards, and covers lan and audio fixes. LAN works by default on the Vostro so ignore his instructions that relate to lan.

c. Note that you can edit the DSDT.dsl file you are working on, don’t follow his instructions to use the command line patcher.

d. Open up his code.txt and follow the pdf to cut and paste the HDEF lines in the appropriate places. You’ll also want to put the DGTP method in. But ignore the lan-related codes he puts in

e. In the bottom of his code.txt he has the proper hex codes for the ALC888 which is what I have in my Vostro, so you should edit the lines accordingly, as he wrote the guide for the 889A.

9. Now that you’ve doctored up your DSDT.dsl file, go ahead and click compile, fix any errors, and you’re done.

10. The asl file is stored in /Library/DSDT/DSDTFiles/ and you can access that folder in Finder by hitting shft+cmd+G

11. Go ahead and copy your dsdt to whatever your working folder is (I have a folder called SNOW on my desktop)

Congrats, you now have a DSDT.aml file! This is our golden nugget .I know I am going to spend a lot more time learning about it, and you should too, because this install method can probably be improved if I was smart enough to make a better DSDT file

Step 3: com.apple.Boot.plist file

1. Grab a copy of blackosx’s install guide and support files here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...topic=%20180954

2. He has a com.apple.Boot.plist in both 32bit and 64bit versions. You can choose whichever you want to use. I originally used the 64 bit and it was working fine, but vmware doesn’t work yet on SL 64 bit so I reverted to the 32bit and there was no issue.

3. His guide is very very detailed, and very pretty. You should read it from beginning to end to get an overview of what is going on, but follow the details of this guide to make it work on your Vostro.

4. Download EFI Studio, select your video card (mine is an 256mb nvidia 8800gt), click add, then the hex will pop up in a new screen, cut and paste it, and add it into your com.apple.Boot.plist file you chose (either the 32 or 64bit one) as shown in blackosx’s pictures.

NOTE: he added both the lan and graphics into his EFI string, you don’t have to! Just the video!

Step 4: Install 10.6

1. Format and partition your drive as in step 1 of blackosx’s guide

2. Install 10.6 using blackosx’s 2B USB memory stick method, however DO NOT USE THE KEXTS HE PROVIDES IN HIS SUPPORT FILES.

3. His support file kexts are for his gigabyte motherboard �" use the kexts I’ve attached to this post for your usb stick, it includes a crucial fix which allows osx to read your sata drives in IDE mode (in your BIOS settings your SATA mode should be set to IDE, not RAID).

4. Install 10.6 and then boot back into 10.5

Step 5: Install Chameleon and modify PlatformUUID.kext and smbios.plist

1. Follow BlackOSX’s instructions number 3, and 4c

2. Ignore his information about his support files, they aren’t relevant to us.

3. Follow his instruction 4d and input your UUID in the info.plist of the PlatformUUID.kext included in my support file, as well as in the SMBIOS.plist file.

4. Copy your dsdt.aml and your modified com.apple.Boot.plist into /Extra (in Cham)

5. Copy the kexts I’ve collected in my support file into /Extensions (in Cham).

Also copy your SMBIOS.plist file into /Extensions

Note that my legacyHDA file is for the ALC888. If you have another card, visit this forum link: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140941

Also note that you should edit your SMBIOS to your specific needs. Please read this post:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1156867

Step 6: Reboot, hit F12 and select your SnowLeopard disk �" run it in verbose mode to see what is happening, and cross your fingers.

Once your up and running you can run the update to 10.6.1 without any problems

If you have any problems, kernel panics, etc. I can not help you, I am only a rookie.

I take no credit for this information as I gathered it all from the gurus on this forum, but hopefully it will help you.

Best wishes,

Tagavor

vostro_kexts.zip

Thanks for the great how-to. I got 10.6 running on my Vostro 410 but the graphic card i have is the ATI Radeon HD 2400 so the i'm stuck at 1400x1050.

-avaya

Thanks, avaya! I couldn't find any help with the vostro so I decided to put up my experience.

There have been a lot of posts regarding the peculiarities with ATI cards here on insanely. I'm using the NV-gt8800, but I had an ati card laying around and tried playing with it but couldn't get it working.

I'm positive if you search around you'll be able to fix it though.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks, avaya! I couldn't find any help with the vostro so I decided to put up my experience.

There have been a lot of posts regarding the peculiarities with ATI cards here on insanely. I'm using the NV-gt8800, but I had an ati card laying around and tried playing with it but couldn't get it working.

I'm positive if you search around you'll be able to fix it though.

Best of luck to you!

my vostro 410 boots its Vanilla Snow Install with 64 bits kernel and uses an ATI4850 with success, thanks to Netkas !

Great write up. I'll give this a try soon. Can you give me a run down of what is and isn't working? I have 10.5.7 on my 410 right now and sleep doesn't work as well as 5.1 surround sound, but I've been able to live with that so far. Thinking of upgrading to 10.6.

• 3 weeks later...

Great guide, worked beautifully once I picked up a GeForce 9800 GT 1GB DDR3 @ BB for like $130.

HOWEVER, after 10.6.1 update lost audio. Sound system preferences shows "no output devices found".

Did you have the same problem with audio and how did you (or should I try to) solve it?

So far I tried to use kext helper to put your ACL888 kexts on Snow volume, tried replacing DSDT.aml with the one I prepared, no luck.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Great write up. I'll give this a try soon. Can you give me a run down of what is and isn't working? I have 10.5.7 on my 410 right now and sleep doesn't work as well as 5.1 surround sound, but I've been able to live with that so far. Thinking of upgrading to 10.6.

I second this request. Please let us know which devices work and which ones do not. I gave up on my Vostro 400 a long time ago because I could not get shutdown to work properly (not sure if it was related to my 8800GT video card drivers or not). If shutdown/restart/sleep are working properly, I will give it a second shot even if I have to replace my 8800GT card. Also, any chances you would provide us with your DSDT file so that we do not have to reinvent the wheel, or is that specific to your device IDs?

Thanks for a great guide, BTW! You have restored hope in my Vostro to see the light again.