Anyone got the old SMC MBPro firmware? Also, any success returning re: whine?

10 posts in this topic

Hey :D

So I have a MBook pro from the original batch and its been pretty much perfect. I'm now getting very close to the end of my 'free tech support' warranty period, and only two niggles:

One is that it was never too hot to start with, and the new SMC firmware keeps the fans on unnecessarily. Its noisy and I'd rather run with the originally shipped firmware if anyone has it.

The second is the 'idle CPU' whine solved by QuietMBP and the mirror widget. Has anyone had any success getting apple to fix this? Given the fact the thing is otherwise perfectly acceptable I'm loathe to return it and get a refurb with all the other issues folks have talked about; heat, mooing, flickering screens ,etc.

Cheers!

Heh, yeah, I know, but its ugly having QuietMBP eating my CPU :D I'd guess it has to have some kind of battery impact keeping the CPU's busy too, stopping speedstep dropping below 1333mhz.

And its ugly.

Did I mention its ugly? heh :D bugs me to have a big old program running ;)

No, I agree with you. You shouldnt HAVE to keep the CPU's from idleing.

I would hold off untill apple release the new MacBook Pro range, and THEN complain :) If they have new stock which doesnt whine, then you should be entitled to have one.

One is that it was never too hot to start with, and the new SMC firmware keeps the fans on unnecessarily. Its noisy and I'd rather run with the originally shipped firmware if anyone has it.

You can download that from Apple here: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/fir...ationcdv10.html

But Apple says it will not work unless your current firmare is corrupted.

I've been workign on EXACTLY this issue. I have NOT upgraded my MBP because of exactly the issue you are talking about. Its mostly fine, a bit too hot, but i dont want my fans on all the time.

So im trying to extract the original SMC firmware from the boot rom before I go upgrading it with the new one. the aptly named "hfsplus.ef" thread has a bunch of my exploits on it, and sort of the state of the state with respect to efi firmware extraction, disassembly and reflashing.

I will let you know as I progress, any ideas you might have would certainly help.

-manch

mine was sent in to apple because of the whine. they replaced the logic board and the thermal sensor, and now it runs great. no whine, no excessive heat.

I wonder if I should go ahead and get my mobo on it replaced as well..

• 2 weeks later...

Well, believe it or not, I went to the apple store as my MBPro had started randomly shutting down. They looked at it, ran some load tests to try and force heat and CPU to max, hmmde and hahed a bit, then looked at the battery - macbook reporting 55% charge, battery just 1 flashing light when button pressed.

He took it out and the metal on the back of the battery was lifting away; apparently they've had a few go 'pop', literally, not metaphorically... actually physically fail and bubble the packaging. Battery replaced and on conditioning now but.. MBPro running cooler , and oddly, now with no whine. Im wondering if all along the whine could have been caused by irregular power output from the old battery. Guess we'll see if it comes back with time.