GA-EP45-UD3P / Core 2 Quad / 9800gtx Experience  

406 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Booting SL

• Stable - No Problems
    • Stable - Minor Issues
    • Unstable - Kernel Panics
    • Not Booting

2,371 posts in this topic

I'll try to build you guys another package and maybe a boot cd too, assuming you all have purchased a retail copy of snow. I've just been a bit busy with work and all.

Later,

-Stell

That sounds excellent Stell!

Some of my build is mid-ship right now.

If you want a guinea pig, I'd gladly volunteer!

My differences to this build are:

Q9550 proc (Instead of Q9650)

4GB of 4-4-4-12 Patriot Memory instead of the 8GB of 5-5-5-12 Patriot Memory

Using the onboard NICs

Let me know, you can PM me or catch me here.

(My build should arrive Weds, or Thurs at the latest)

hi everyone....

followed instructions and everything seems to be (?) working so far (thanks stella!)...it was easier than i expected.

i still have a couple questions though that i would be really really thankful for any answer to...

has anyone used DigitalDJ's CPUinjectorkext successfully with this setup? can it be done after everything is installed?

does anyone have time machine working correctly?

My TimeMachine works just fine (Restored from it twice to test). I am also using DigitalDJ's patched Chameleon for the CPU name etc.

Pretty much the only thing that needs tweaking for me is sleep...If I tell it to sleep it does, but then after about 5 seconds it wakes back up!

My TimeMachine works just fine (Restored from it twice to test). I am also using DigitalDJ's patched Chameleon for the CPU name etc.

Pretty much the only thing that needs tweaking for me is sleep...If I tell it to sleep it does, but then after about 5 seconds it wakes back up!

Ok. I haven't tested TimeMachine yet, just from what I've read on here so far, it backs up EVERYTHING every time rather than just changes. So that's good to know if it's working for you. So for Chameleon, you just download and install even after everything is done? That doesn't mess up Stella's stuff? Not so clear on what Chameleon is/does (I know I need to read more).

Actually, I haven't even tried sleep yet. If you figure it out, please post...

My TimeMachine is definitely not backing everything up. I used Stell's package from here and tweaked the NVCAP string in the DSDT.aml file for my VGA/DVI output and other than one .kext file for my ACHI/IDE Optical drives and the sleep problem it worked "Out of the Box".

I sent a PM but I'll post here in case someone else wants to take a stab at it. So I used Stella's magic installer...and that's now on my hd so everything is working. If i want to add digital dj's cpuinjectorkext, what do I do? Do I modify stell's thing or do I just run digitaldj's modified chameleon once and that's it? I know I probably sound like an idiot to everyone who knows what they're doing, but I can't be the only one who is lost here. I just don't want to f up what seems to be working pretty well, but having the system id the right processor seems like it'll come in handy.

Thanks D-an-W and anyone else who can help...

I have gotten the cpuinjectorkext working. The easiest thing is to get the "Kext Utility" app. Then just drag the kext to that app. It will install and set up the permissions correctly.

Just reboot afterwards and everything was fine.

I have gotten the cpuinjectorkext working. The easiest thing is to get the "Kext Utility" app. Then just drag the kext to that app. It will install and set up the permissions correctly.

Just reboot afterwards and everything was fine.

nice...i'll try this when i get home. thanks!

*EDIT* worked!

Ran into a little problem. I used the exact hardware as listed and can boot up until I get to the verifying DMI pool data part. It used to say the update succeeded but now it doesn't. I've checked and rechecked the BIOS settings. What else could it be?

EDIT: Pulled two sticks of RAM and got it back to the update succeeded part. Watching it boot up, it'll get there, access the USB stick, and then do nothing. I'm pretty sure I did that part correctly, but I'll redo it now. Could it be anything else?

I need someone to try out a test version. Only someone who has a successful installation already or someone with an ATI 4800 series video card need apply.

Hit me up on AIM at starterrunner.

Later,

-Stell

Stell-

came back and you were offline on iChat/AIM. I zipped by Extra folder and deleted the original. Then I ran the installer you sent... I did before and after screenshots (and a bonus for me at least)

Before

http://img136.imageshack.us/i/before1w.jpg/

After

http://img136.imageshack.us/i/after1s.jpg/

Bonus Round

http://img106.imageshack.us/i/bonusround1.jpg/

What was different between this and Test1, 2, and 3?

I noticed that the splash screen seemed to be bigger (lower rez?)... and it took a while of thinking for the bar and menu to become available, but I think it did that the first time before.

Stell-

came back and you were offline on iChat/AIM. I zipped by Extra folder and deleted the original. Then I ran the installer you sent... I did before and after screenshots (and a bonus for me at least)

Before

http://img136.imageshack.us/i/before1w.jpg/

After

http://img136.imageshack.us/i/after1s.jpg/

Bonus Round

http://img106.imageshack.us/i/bonusround1.jpg/

What was different between this and Test1, 2, and 3?

I noticed that the splash screen seemed to be bigger (lower rez?)... and it took a while of thinking for the bar and menu to become available, but I think it did that the first time before.

Hey, the reason the splash screen is bigger is because of people using VGA input. Those people had issues where their monitor wouldn't display any image or they would have a message saying something along the lines of "monitor cannot sync to this resolution. So because of this, I lowered the resolution to something EVERYONE can use. You're welcome to set the resolution in the theme's info.plist. Currently it's set for 1280x768.

Glad it worked out for you. It's defaulted to a Quad core in the smbios.plist because the cpu auto-detection wasn't working for some people.

-Stell

Stell,

I have a question about RAM speed in this build (which I have done and is working great!):

The guide recommended we buy 5-5-5-12 800 Mhz DDR2 RAM. The board can support 1066 DDR2, would using this RAM not work?

Just curious, I did buy the 800Mhz.

Stell,

I have a question about RAM speed in this build (which I have done and is working great!):

The guide recommended we buy 5-5-5-12 800 Mhz DDR2 RAM. The board can support 1066 DDR2, would using this RAM not work?

Just curious, I did buy the 800Mhz.

Get any ram that is supported by this motherboard, it'll work.

-Stell

New installer available here: http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/21398368...lloween-edition

Read the instructions before proceeding.

Thanks,

-Stell

Cool! Is this the same one that you had me test or are there additional mods? The only thing I seem to need to work on is my optical drive. It had the same issue before last night, though. My Hack Pro seems to forget it is there. When I reboot, a disk can be read... but this morning, for example, it didn't see the disk. Not sure why this is the case. It is a Blu Ray reader (cheap from newegg). I actually wanted to see if I could get the new version of parallels to use it as I have heard of some people being able to use the bluray drive from within a virtualized machine. I can't even get parallels to know that there is a drive it can use, though. I can see the disk on my SL desktop, so the computer has decided to recognize it, but parallels just doesn't want to see it. Weird. I will have to install windows on a second drive (sigh... really didn't want to do that) to see if I can use it that way. Still, wish I could figure out why the computer suddenly decides it is not there any longer.

Anyone know of a kext, fix, DSDT reason for this behaviour (not parallels but SL in general...I'd be willing to chalk parallels up to wishful thinking that it would work)??

Spoke too soon :-( It booted the 1st time and then I rebooted and it now hangs after the DMI Pool...I don't receive the bootloader window at all...it goes to the cursor spin the the top left corner then hangs.

Well back to my old Extras...

Is the proper hdd selected in bios?

Is the proper hdd selected in bios?

Yep...after some troubleshooting, I decided to disconnect all of my HDD's except the Boot drive. Worked fine. So I slowly added each drive then rebooted and found that my Time Machine drive was causing the issue. I disconnected that drive from the SATA port and everything worked great!

Now, troubleshooting my Time Machine drive...I will completely reformat and partition this drive and start over after I pull a few things off of it.

I will update this process once I have completed it.

Thanks Stellarola!

Would I expect to see any problems if I substituted a different graphics card, say a GTS 250 like this one at NewEgg?

EVGA 512-P3-1153-TR GeForce GTS 250 512MB 256-bit DDR3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130513

My EVGA GTX 260 Core works beautifully with the LifeHacker guide and the install package put together by Stellarolla. I didn't have any luck with my original 9800 GTX+, so I returned that for the GTX 260.

BTW... Thanks to stellarola for this most excellent installer.

Stell,

I had a quick question. Is this installer still only for Nvidia cards?

thanks,

Justin

You could get an ATI card to work, but it's totally not worth doing. ATI cards/OSX86 don't play nice together. Please don't buy an ATI card, because I won't help support it. You'd be on your own, brother.

-Stell