Can't get my Ethernet (Realtek RTL8111D/RTL8168) working in SL 10.6.x

maumiller

8 posts in this topic

Has anyone been able to get (stable) Ethernet working in Snow Leopard 10.6.x on a motherboard that has Realtek RTL8111D/RTL8168 ethernet chipset?

I have tried a modified IONetworkingFamily.kext which ocassionally works, but the .kext fails to load every other time you boot into SL or if you change user accounts.... to fix this issue, it requires you to unplug power for a minute or two before you're able to restorer link connectivity.

My specs are as follows:

OS: 10.6.1 Retail x64|Vanilla Kernel Chameleon RC3|MB: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P (F10D) — Core i7 920 (C0)|RAM:12GB Corsair XMS3-1600Mhz|Video: DIAMOND ATI Radeon HD 4870 1024MB GDDR5 |DVD:Double Layer LightScribe|HDD:WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3Gb/s 32MB Cache, 7200RPM|Ethernet:Realtek RTL8111D/RTL8168|Audio:ALC889A

realtek1000 works in 64 bit mode but i have the same ethernet card and it works natively with osx 10.6

So i am speaking specifically about 64bit SL related ethernet issues and what tends to happen is during the boot process the realtek1000.kext has a 50/50 chance of sucessfully loading and when it does it tends not to grab a proper DHCP address but times out with a 169.x.x.x address.

Is the realtek1000.kext you had sucess with from Pystar!? if not can you include a link to the kext you used...? Also, where did you place the kext? in /Extra/Extensions (if using Chameleon)? or in S/L/E?

My motherboard has Realtek RTL8111/8168 and works out of the box. No kext needed. In fact, using the RTL1000.kext on <EFI>/Extra/Extensions caused me a KP. Without it and other kexts, the system works fine on 32/64bits.

Try to remove any third party kext related to ethernet and check if it works.

My motherboard is a Foxconn G31MV-K.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...
Has anyone been able to get (stable) Ethernet working in Snow Leopard 10.6.x on a motherboard that has Realtek RTL8111D/RTL8168 ethernet chipset?

I have tried a modified IONetworkingFamily.kext which ocassionally works, but the .kext fails to load every other time you boot into SL or if you change user accounts.... to fix this issue, it requires you to unplug power for a minute or two before you're able to restorer link connectivity.

My specs are as follows:

OS: 10.6.1 Retail x64|Vanilla Kernel Chameleon RC3|MB: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P (F10D) �" Core i7 920 (C0)|RAM:12GB Corsair XMS3-1600Mhz|Video: DIAMOND ATI Radeon HD 4870 1024MB GDDR5 |DVD:Double Layer LightScribe|HDD:WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3Gb/s 32MB Cache, 7200RPM|Ethernet:Realtek RTL8111D/RTL8168|Audio:ALC889A

I see you were/are having the same annoying problem as me. Did you ever get it resolved? I, for the life of me, cannot get it to work no matter what I try to do. I also experience the issue on boot up where it will not work unless I boot into my Windows partition first then restart into my Leopard partition. I have a separate HD for SL and cannot get ethernet to work no matter how I boot. :rolleyes: Very frustrating to say the least.

Any help would be appreciated. Thx in advance!

Cheers

Dray