How to install Windows after OS X?

hnorbi

12 posts in this topic

My hard drive's partitions look like this:

1. windows

2. data

3. os x

I cleared both os and then I installed OSX first with Chameleon 2 bootloader.

Now I want to install Windows 7 too but when the computer restarts after loaded files from dvd and I switched to windows ntfs drive in Chamelon bootloader I got an error message:

"BOOTMGR is missing, Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"

I tried to make windows partition to active and os x partition to inactive in command prompt using DISKPART, but I still got error message:

boot0 error

boot0 mbr done

BOOTMGR is missing

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

Is there any way to install windows after os x without destroy Chameleon?

My hard drive's partitions look like this:

1. windows

2. data

3. os x

I cleared both os and then I installed OSX first with Chameleon 2 bootloader.

Now I want to install Windows 7 too but when the computer restarts after loaded files from dvd and I switched to windows ntfs drive in Chamelon bootloader I got an error message:

"BOOTMGR is missing, Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"

I tried to make windows partition to active and os x partition to inactive in command prompt using DISKPART, but I still got error message:

boot0 error

boot0 mbr done

BOOTMGR is missing

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

Is there any way to install windows after os x without destroy Chameleon?

If you can, in your BIOS settings try setting the HDD mode to ATA instead of AHCI. However, this might not resolve the problem and it may lie in your OSX partition being inactive. You should make the OSX partition active with Chameleon RC3, and everything should work fine.

Use fdisk in terminal from your OSX Install DVD to set your OSX partition active.

If you can, in your BIOS settings try setting the HDD mode to ATA instead of AHCI. However, this might not resolve the problem and it may lie in your OSX partition being inactive. You should make the OSX partition active with Chameleon RC3, and everything should work fine.

Use fdisk in terminal from your OSX Install DVD to set your OSX partition active.

Thanks, I will try this. :)

OK, I set the HDD mode in BIOS to IDE mode. I could finish the Windows 7 installation and now I can enter to Windows smoothly.

Then I booted in from OSX install DVD and in the terminal I made OS X partition active:

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk2

flag3

write

y

exit

After reboot I didn't get the Chameleon back I just can enter to Windows.

Any advice?

i have everything set as ahci, what i did was go into my bios make OSX disk my 1st read HDD. install OSX and Chameleon 3. then go back into BIOS set windows drive as 1st read. install windows 7 or whatever windows. then go back to bios, set OSX as first read, and chameleon can go between either drive flawlessly

i have everything set as ahci, what i did was go into my bios make OSX disk my 1st read HDD. install OSX and Chameleon 3. then go back into BIOS set windows drive as 1st read. install windows 7 or whatever windows. then go back to bios, set OSX as first read, and chameleon can go between either drive flawlessly

This is not a solution in my case because the Windows and the OS X are installed on same HDD.

After reboot I didn't get the Chameleon back I just can enter to Windows.

Any advice?

Windows wiped out your Chameleon first-stage (MBR-resident) boot loader. You need to re-install it. Consult its documentation, or I believe there are many endless threads here on the topic.

Folow steps:

HDD must in mbr format

Install macosx first! boot into osx ok? if ok install windows 7 on next partition, you can boot into win 7 and can't boot into Mac.

OK. in win 7 run CMD as Administrator. type diskpart

list disk //for see disk number, remember this

select disk x (x is number above)

list part //for see parttiton number of osx partition, remember this

select part x (x is number above)

active

exit

ok, reboot and you get an error? put hackintosh DVD and set as first boot device (do not press any key!!!!)

you can boot into Mac OSX ?

ok reinstall Chameleon RC3

Done.

Windows 7 boot mamager is actually located on a hidden patition. Point Chamelon to that partition instead

Hello all. So, can anyone guide me to how to get this working? Please forgive my ignorance as I am new to this.

1. Install SL on one partition.

2. Install Win7 on second partition

3. Boot into SL usb install (lifehacker guide)

4. Reinstall Chameleon and "point chameleon to hidden partition"? (How do I do this?)

My setup EP45 UD3R lifehacker installation. I have one HD. I haven't installed yet but planning on today. I have read many EasyBCD solution etc.I have looked at so many guides but none seem to really address my issue specifically with lifehacker install and chameleon/SL/Win7 dual boot. If there is a guide I missed, I'd appreciate a link.

Thanks for your help in advance.

• 1 month later...
Hello all. So, can anyone guide me to how to get this working? Please forgive my ignorance as I am new to this.

1. Install SL on one partition.

2. Install Win7 on second partition

3. Boot into SL usb install (lifehacker guide)

4. Reinstall Chameleon and "point chameleon to hidden partition"? (How do I do this?)

My setup EP45 UD3R lifehacker installation. I have one HD. I haven't installed yet but planning on today. I have read many EasyBCD solution etc.I have looked at so many guides but none seem to really address my issue specifically with lifehacker install and chameleon/SL/Win7 dual boot. If there is a guide I missed, I'd appreciate a link.

Thanks for your help in advance.

you should simply point chameleon to the System Reserved partition that windows 7 creates automatically.