Gigabyte EP45C-UD3R, 9800GT, Excellent Installing Directions from Lifehacker

MacModifier

99 posts in this topic

Yea, I am not sure either, I am running the onboard nic card so that is one difference between your install and mine. I can't see where that would cause the problem, however, you could test this to make sure by turning you onboard nic card on in the BIOS and removing the external one and trying to see if that is the problem. Since little snitch works extensively with the internet that might be worth a try.

Date of Update October 15, 2009 ***** UPDATE, Well installed the ESATA Card that came with my Gigabyte motherboard and it is working like a champ, nothing to install extra.*****

Well plugged the two sata connections into the two PURPLE sata slots on the mother board. Plugged the power connection to the Power Supply also ran a second power cord out the back of the Hackintosh for powering a second drive since there are two connections. Powered up the computer, plugged in a sata drive sitting outside the computer and the Hackintosh recognized it right away. Man the transfer rate on this is smoken FAST! Here is an image of the esata card that came with this motherboard.

post-333172-1255656090_thumb.jpg

is there a reason to use the purple ones vs. the orange/yellow ones for this? are they different?

is there a reason to use the purple ones vs. the orange/yellow ones for this? are they different?

Probably not, I just stuck them in the purple ones since others have had problems when they tried using both purple one's at the same time with the main hard drive and a second drive attached in these slots.

Try the orange connections, if there is no difference and everything works great, I will edit the main post saying use either orange or purple does not matter.

Let me know?

Probably not, I just stuck them in the purple ones since others have had problems when they tried using both purple one's at the same time with the main hard drive and a second drive attached in these slots.

Try the orange connections, if there is no difference and everything works great, I will edit the main post saying use either orange or purple does not matter.

Let me know?

I would, but i have no esata drive to test it with, lol. I haven't hooked it up for this reason, but I guess I may as well for the future. I guess I'll hook up to the orange and post if I eventually do get one.

I would, but i have no esata drive to test it with, lol. I haven't hooked it up for this reason, but I guess I may as well for the future. I guess I'll hook up to the orange and post if I eventually do get one.

You don't need a special drive that is the beauty of this. You can plug any normal SATA drive up. So you can back up stuff to a sata drive that has no case or you can get stuff off the sata drive without having to open the computer up from the inside or mount the drive anywhere. Just set it close to the back of the computer and plug it into the connections on the back of the ESATA Card that you installed and the Hackintosh will recognize the hard drive. All the cables are included with the one that came with the motherboard.

Yea, I am not sure either, I am running the onboard nic card so that is one difference between your install and mine. I can't see where that would cause the problem, however, you could test this to make sure by turning you onboard nic card on in the BIOS and removing the external one and trying to see if that is the problem. Since little snitch works extensively with the internet that might be worth a try.

Pulled the NIC card out and enabled the onboard LAN, booted back up and tried to install LS again but got the same result. Are there any other alternatives to LS?

• 2 weeks later...

Just as an FYI to some of you that are getting KP's: I've got the ga-ep45c-ud3r board and an 8800gts, so my config is not quite the same as Pash's, but close enough I used his install method. It worked great, but I would get these random kernel panics when I was under heavy loads. For instance, Folding@home would only ever make it to about 15% (if it was lucky) and then I would get a KP. The same would happen for other tasks that would max out the CPU and/or RAM (MATLAB simulations, benchmarks, etc..)

After many many reboots and configuration tests, I finally got a stable system. The biggest thing is to manually make your DSDT specific to your hardware. Although that helped, I still got KP's under load. In the end, I ended up removing all the kexts from the /Extra/Extensions except for fakesmc and openhaltrestart. With the others removed, my system seems very stable, and everything seems to be working including graphics, sleep, sound, and shutting down/restarting.

Just thought I'd throw that out there since it took me a few weeks to get that stupid bug figured out. But once you get things fine tuned, these hackintoshes are extremely stable; I haven't been able to make it crash yet even with these MATLAB simulations running along side Folding@home.

• 2 weeks later...
Just as an FYI to some of you that are getting KP's: I've got the ga-ep45c-ud3r board and an 8800gts, so my config is not quite the same as Pash's, but close enough I used his install method. It worked great, but I would get these random kernel panics when I was under heavy loads. For instance, Folding@home would only ever make it to about 15% (if it was lucky) and then I would get a KP. The same would happen for other tasks that would max out the CPU and/or RAM (MATLAB simulations, benchmarks, etc..)

After many many reboots and configuration tests, I finally got a stable system. The biggest thing is to manually make your DSDT specific to your hardware. Although that helped, I still got KP's under load. In the end, I ended up removing all the kexts from the /Extra/Extensions except for fakesmc and openhaltrestart. With the others removed, my system seems very stable, and everything seems to be working including graphics, sleep, sound, and shutting down/restarting.

Just thought I'd throw that out there since it took me a few weeks to get that stupid bug figured out. But once you get things fine tuned, these hackintoshes are extremely stable; I haven't been able to make it crash yet even with these MATLAB simulations running along side Folding@home.

I posted some updates to the main page so I am talking the time to respond. Good news that you got everything working. As far as my build, it is rock solid! Everything is working perfectly. It is the most stable build for me so far. I was reading Stellarola's blog tonight http://stellarola.tumblr.com/ and agree, "I think OSx86 has really hit it’s stride in the last year or so" The hackintosh is right there on the cutting edge.

To contrast what you had to work around, As far as load on my Hackintosh. Just to give you an idea of the stability and performance of my current machine.

1. I have had HD movies playing.

2. Downloading 6 Torrents at once.

3. Watching Eye TV.

4. Running Photoshop and Dreamweaver.

5. Having 6 Applications all open.

6. Playing Pokerstars.com

All these running at the SAME TIME, using iStat Menu, seeing all four processors moving right along with tons of processing power still left in reserve on all 4 cores. AND,

NOT A SINGLE HICK-UP, NOT A SINGLE PROBLEM!

I posted some updates to the main page so I am talking the time to respond. Good news that you got everything working. As far as my build, it is rock solid! Everything is working perfectly. It is the most stable build for me so far. I was reading Stellarola's blog tonight http://stellarola.tumblr.com/ and agree, "I think OSx86 has really hit it’s stride in the last year or so" The hackintosh is right there on the cutting edge.

To contrast what you had to work around, As far as load on my Hackintosh. Just to give you an idea of the stability and performance of my current machine.

1. I have had HD movies playing.

2. Downloading 6 Torrents at once.

3. Watching Eye TV.

4. Running Photoshop and Dreamweaver.

5. Having 6 Applications all open.

6. Playing Pokerstars.com

All these running at the SAME TIME, using iStat Menu, seeing all four processors moving right along with tons of processing power still left in reserve on all 4 cores. AND,

NOT A SINGLE HICK-UP, NOT A SINGLE PROBLEM!

Have you tried updating to 10.6.2?

Any success?

Have you tried updating to 10.6.2?

Any success?

Pablo,

Here is my experience with 10.6.2. I updated 3 days ago. Or it was a day after the update came out. Update download went find. Did the update and re-booted. When I got to the hard drive Icon, I tired to get out of it with hitting the esc key twice so I could get to the text prompt and type -v -f but that did not work. It went to the normal boot up. So, I re-booted again. This time when I came to the hard drive, I hit the esc key but I did not hit it again, I remembered it was the TAB key I needed to hit for the second key. This will bring you to the bios text prompt. Then I selected the hard drive and typed -v -f and let it do it's thing. Now:

When it got back up to the desktop I went to the Disk Utilities to run disk permissions and I got a Kernel Panic on the screen. This was a let down and thought I made a mistake updating! So, I force rebooted. Just use the normal boot up method, the bios text method is only after every update and only needs to be done once as far as I can tell. Again, I went to the Disk Utilities to run disk permissions repair and this time there where NO kernel panics.

Since that one kernel panic, It has been running as stable as it was before the update, so, who knows why the kernel panic happened but I believe it is safe to update. At least it is working fine now on my set up.

Hope this helps.

P.S. On a side note. If your auto sleep does not work, the script that is posted in the main thread does make it work, I tired it about 4 days ago. If you do use the script, just put it in your hard drive and then go to the accounts pane and select it as a start-up item so that it will work every time you boot your Hackintosh.

Answer to psystar's EFI Bootloader and it's Free!

I posted a new section in the main part of this thread. I was reading where psystar lost one of the battles with Apple recently. I starting reading more about the EFI Bootloader they are selling for $50 and looking at Youtube video on people using it.

Then I came across this, the Empire EFI Bootloader. It looks like someone has created a similar bootloader that psystar has and is offering it for free. Go free! Anyway, if anyone tries this out, please post your experience with using the Empire EFI Bootloader.

Answer to psystar's EFI Bootloader and it's Free!

I posted a new section in the main part of this thread. I was reading where psystar lost one of the battles with Apple recently. I starting reading more about the EFI Bootloader they are selling for $50 and looking at Youtube video on people using it.

Then I came across this, the Empire EFI Bootloader. It looks like someone has created a similar bootloader that psystar has and is offering it for free. Go free! Anyway, if anyone tries this out, please post your experience with using the Empire EFI Bootloader.

If this works does this mean you can just install vanilla without the need for such things as the Lifehacker tutorial? How is that different? Will I get the graphics card support and wireless out of box?

Another question...Recently i noticed my clock in the menu bar would stop and when I put my mouse cursor over it, I get a spinning beach ball. All other apps run fine and its only when I put the mouse of the clock in the menu bar that I get the beach ball. When i went to the BIOS, i noticed the clock is always 5 hours forward. I change it back and save it but then when I got back to BIOS, its still 5 hours forward again....

Any of you with the same issue? Any solutions?

Thanks.

If this works does this mean you can just install vanilla without the need for such things as the Lifehacker tutorial? How is that different? Will I get the graphics card support and wireless out of box?

Pablo,

Well, I have not used this technique myself. I have been very happy with the Lifehacker tutorial. Everything is working perfectly on my machine currently and have no need to try this at this time. I posted this for new people if they are starting off and want to give this a try on there machine. Also, a friend asked me to convert his Dell Computer and I was looking for something that would be easy. I will be trying this later on his machine. I also posted it for my own records if I need this down the road.

I was reading about the Psystar and the EFI Rebel and what people thought about it, and that is when I came across this. Others have used this saying it works like the EFI Rebel. If you decide that you are going to try this, feel free to post your results.

As far as the clock changing, that is weird. I have not had that problem with my computer.

• 1 month later...

So today I finally did my SL install on my PC and it went really well, specs are as follows:

EP45C-UD3R

intel E8400

8GB of ram, 2x4 GSKILL 1066 (shows as 800)

320GB HDD, with 640GB HDD for time machine, another 640Gb for storage

Onboard lan and audio works good so far, haven't tried the bonjore yet. But I am running Win & 64 bit home prem in VMFusion 3, with no issues.

Do you guys know if I can get a win 7 running on a separate drive and do a dual boot?

Thank you to everyone for all the great posts, lifehackers guide seems to be the easiest so far, at least for me. As for for the first day, super stable.

Keep up the good work.

So today I finally did my SL install on my PC and it went really well, specs are as follows:

EP45C-UD3R

intel E8400

8GB of ram, 2x4 GSKILL 1066 (shows as 800)

320GB HDD, with 640GB HDD for time machine, another 640Gb for storage

Onboard lan and audio works good so far, haven't tried the bonjore yet. But I am running Win & 64 bit home prem in VMFusion 3, with no issues.

Do you guys know if I can get a win 7 running on a separate drive and do a dual boot?

Thank you to everyone for all the great posts, lifehackers guide seems to be the easiest so far, at least for me. As for for the first day, super stable.

Keep up the good work.

Daxxkidd,

Good to hear you got it working. Doing a dual boot with two drives is fairly easy. You just have to shut down your computer, unplug the mac HDD. Next install windows on the other hard drive. Afterwards, shut down and plug back the mac drive and go into BIOS and make the Mac HDD first priority in booting. Chamelon should list the two drives now.

For Bonjour, I found that installing the new kext SL compatible newtork kext from kexts.com with the B7 kext utility will work.

Daxxkidd,

Good to hear you got it working. Doing a dual boot with two drives is fairly easy. You just have to shut down your computer, unplug the mac HDD. Next install windows on the other hard drive. Afterwards, shut down and plug back the mac drive and go into BIOS and make the Mac HDD first priority in booting. Chamelon should list the two drives now.

For Bonjour, I found that installing the new kext SL compatible newtork kext from kexts.com with the B7 kext utility will work.

Thank you, I'm not that worried about Bonjour, if I understand it right, it is mostly for sharing, is that right?.

I will try the windows that way, hope it works, I will keep you posted.

Not sure about the noise level, mine is loud, but it has always been that way, I'm goning to soundproof my case soon ans loose all the loud fans.

• 1 month later...

Well it has been a while since I have posted on my thread, but I got to say that I love my Hackintosh. Since updating to Snow Leopard everything has been running great, NOT A SINGLE PROBLEM, knock on wood.

I use my Hackintosh everyday and am really happy with it! It can only get better from here:

If you want to post your experience with your Hackintosh using Life Hacker feel free.

• 3 months later...

I have this same configuration but I installed a genuine apple NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 graphics card and is working like a champ, even though it says it requires ddr3 1066Mhz I am running the system with ddr2 800Mhz, no problem.

I did bought ddr3 1066Mhz and installed it but it is recognized as ddr2 800Mhz (very weird!!!).

Anybody with similar experience running ddr3 modules?

I love the NVIDIA GeForce GT 120, it is very small and quite which is perfect for me that I have a project studio.

Cheers!

:)

• 4 weeks later...

Update July 9, 2010

Well it has been over a year and everything is working great. I needed to get wifi working on my hackintosh so I could sync it up with my ipad. After breaking two of my installs I finally figured it out. Got it working and am in the process of getting it install right now. I just finished re-installing snow as I am a perfectionist and wanted to clean the drive and only install exactly what I need on the Hackintosh to make it work. I will post the drivers I used and the USB Wifi thumb that I bought in the next hour.

Update July 9, 2010

Well it has been over a year and everything is working great. I needed to get wifi working on my hackintosh so I could sync it up with my ipad. After breaking two of my installs I finally figured it out. Got it working and am in the process of getting it install right now. I just finished re-installing snow as I am a perfectionist and wanted to clean the drive and only install exactly what I need on the Hackintosh to make it work. I will post the drivers I used and the USB Wifi thumb that I bought in the next hour.

Okay got it working, am in the process of updating to the latest Snow Leopard. If I don't report back everything was a go. Here is the link to the driver that I used.

Ralink Drivers

Download and install this one first USB(RT2870 /RT2770 /RT307X /RT2070 /RT3572)

Then Download and install this one second. On the reboot you shoot see it appear on your hack.

Download this one too and install it second USB(RT257X/RT2671/RT2500)

Install it and reboot as it says.

Here is the exact thumb USB wifi I am using with it:

Belkin G Wireless USB Network Adapter Basic Home Connectivity (Bought this at Fry's Electronics for $29.95)

I am guessing that others might work too, but I know for a FACT that this one will as I have it setup now.

post-333172-1278640342_thumb.png

UPDATE AUGUST 19th 2010

Belkin G Wireless USB Network Adapter Basic Home Connectivity (Bought this at Fry's Electronics for $29.95)

Well this has been working great so far, been using it on my Hack Pro with not a single problem, decided that i would add another one to my work computer and went on ebay to save a few bucks. Well, there is a difference on these I have since found out. The one I bought on Ebay had a earlier version of the firmware installed on it and my Hack Pro would not work with it. I called Belkin and they explained to me that it was a older version based on the code numbers on the back of the unit. SO, if you are going to use this one, make sure you buy one with the latest firmware installed on it.