[GUIDE] Minimalist retail install of Snow Leopard on Dell D830

msingh

Did this guide work as advertised for your Dell D830 ?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Did this guide work as advertised for your Dell D830 ?

• Yes.
    • No, and I am posting the problem I have.
    • Something else - see my post.

85 posts in this topic

thanks for the info msingh, very helpful as always. yeah i used to not care about sleep because my laptop was basically a desktop at home, but now i'm in college and carrying it around everywhere, so it would be useful to be able to sleep it and save battery without shutting down (which takes a little longer cuz we have to hold down the power button to do so).

do you guys have a problem where you can manually get the computer to sleep, but not by closing the lid? before using sleepenabler.kext, i was able to get it to go to sleep (though unsuccessfully) by closing the lid, but not anymore...i did install insomniax at a point, but removed all the files, so it's probably something else. any ideas? not a big deal, but i like my hackbook pro being as close to a mac as possible.

do you guys have a problem where you can manually get the computer to sleep, but not by closing the lid? before using sleepenabler.kext, i was able to get it to go to sleep (though unsuccessfully) by closing the lid, but not anymore...i did install insomniax at a point, but removed all the files, so it's probably something else. any ideas? not a big deal, but i like my hackbook pro being as close to a mac as possible.

My machine does not sleep on closing the lid. The issue is that the LID0 event does not affect the sleep state in the DSDT.

There is a MSI wind specific workaround that may or may not work for a Dell D830. It involves a kext called Clamshell.kext, which from the description may do this. But I have not tried since I am happy enough getting any sort of sleep to work by clicking on the apple icon in the toolbar.

Now, if you find a way to get hibernate to work, it would be great.

My machine does not sleep on closing the lid. The issue is that the LID0 event does not affect the sleep state in the DSDT.

There is a MSI wind specific workaround that may or may not work for a Dell D830. It involves a kext called Clamshell.kext, which from the description may do this. But I have not tried since I am happy enough getting any sort of sleep to work by clicking on the apple icon in the toolbar.

Now, if you find a way to get hibernate to work, it would be great.

Sleep works for me on closing the lid but not if I have a webcam or some external hard drives connected (in those cases it comes straight back out of sleep again).

I upgraded to 10.6.2 without issue.

here is a list of the KEXT's I'm using in 32bit mode:

In /System/Library/Extensions

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

HDEFEnabler.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

NVkush.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

VoodooBattery.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

VoodooPowerMini.kext

and in /Extra/Extensions

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

IOPCIFamily.kext

IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

fakesmc.kext

I've also upgraded to 10.6.2 with no problem except sleepenabler.kext, but turns out I didn't have the latest version so I got that and it's smooth sailing now.

msingh, can you try out 10.6.2 on your real-mac with the choppy expose? because I think it mighta gotten a bit smoother, but it still lags with too many kinds of windows open. Also, do macs even have a hibernate option? All I've found in my menu items are "sleep," but no hibernate-type thing where the computer shuts off completely.

oh, and it looks like the "memory" section in my/our system profiler is broken...anyone know how to fix this? really unimportant, but I like aesthetics and am mildly OCD.

Just before anyone tries this, update 10.6.2 came out yesterday.

It breaks this setup as (I think) one or more kexts get overwritten. My first guess was that it is the ATA kext. It appears its simply Sleepenabler.

I will look at it tomorrow and hopefully get back with a fix to the problem.

This is an important update as it fixes multiple problems with Snow Leopard.

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

HDEFEnabler.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

NVkush.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

VoodooBattery.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

VoodooPowerMini.kext

and in /Extra/Extensions

IOPCIFamily.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

fakesmc.kext

Good to hear. Let me see if one of them got overwritten yesterday.

I've also upgraded to 10.6.2 with no problem except sleepenabler.kext, but turns out I didn't have the latest version so I got that and it's smooth sailing now.

msingh, can you try out 10.6.2 on your real-mac with the choppy expose? because I think it mighta gotten a bit smoother, but it still lags with too many kinds of windows open. Also, do macs even have a hibernate option? All I've found in my menu items are "sleep," but no hibernate-type thing where the computer shuts off completely.

oh, and it looks like the "memory" section in my/our system profiler is broken...anyone know how to fix this? really unimportant, but I like aesthetics and am mildly OCD.

My bootup breaks at SleepEnabler as well. Can you provide a link to the latest one that you are using ?

I upgraded to 10.6.2 on my Macbook. No issues. The system feels a little snappier, or maybe it is just my imagination. Expose is not choppy.

For macs, hibernate = deep sleep. Use SmartSleep widget. Its self-explanatory.

Has anyone noticed that they have really screwed up insanelymac ? Sometimes, it takes me via a redirect to an ad page while I am still typing. Darn irritating. This takes ads to a whole new level of obnoxiousness.

Has anyone noticed that they have really screwed up insanelymac ? Sometimes, it takes me via a redirect to an ad page while I am still typing. Darn irritating. This takes ads to a whole new level of obnoxiousness.

Yeah, I noticed that. But it only happens if I am not using Safari. It seems rampant on Firefox.

Yeah, I noticed that. But it only happens if I am not using Safari. It seems rampant on Firefox.

You are lucky then.

I have not used firefox for a few months now. This happens to me on Safari. Not very often. But when it happens, you feel like punching the screen in.

Here's the new sleepenabler.kext:

http://netkas.org/

That worked. Thanks.

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

HDEFEnabler.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

NVkush.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

VoodooBattery.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

VoodooPowerMini.kext

and in /Extra/Extensions

IOPCIFamily.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

fakesmc.kext

Uhhhm, I am running what I believe to be the exact same laptop. I am running 10.6.2 and the only kext in S/L/E I have of the ones you listed are IOATAFamily.kext. I have none of the others. I have the same 5 in /Extra/Extensions.

Sleep works for me on closing the lid but not if I have a webcam or some external hard drives connected (in those cases it comes straight back out of sleep again).

How did you get the closing the lid sleep to work?

• 2 weeks later...
How did you get the closing the lid sleep to work?

use clamshelldisplay.kext.

also msingh (or anyone really), is this new 0.2.2 voodoohda kext for 64 bit? also, how do you reload a kext after the system has started?

btw, after upgrading to chameleon 2 rc3 and using graphicsenabler, i no longer need graphic kexts and nvs135m is supported natively (sweet). expose is a lot smoother now, but it still drops frames when i have a lot of windows open. much better than before though. also when i click on the hard drives on my desktop, sometimes i see intermediate images still, but that's not as much of a problem as slow expose.

Hey guys!

On my Dell D830 I've upgraded to the 64-bit VoodooHDA and 64-bit Pref Pane, compiled for Snow Leopard. See sweec's post on:

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,687.0.html

or direct download link (login required though) from:

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php?...87.0;attach=512

The 64-bit Preference Pane is great, now my System Preferences doesn't have to restart / switch into 32-bit mode every time I access the sound settings.

But after that, I've discovered something even better: a fork form the original VoodooHDA project, continued by Slice on:

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=355

His latest version is VodooHDA 0.2.52 as I write this, and guess what... he has finally solved the sound after sleep problem. I can positively confirm this, no more sound problems after sleep with this new version!

I've kept the 64-bit PrefPane linked above (for the aforementioned reasons), as Slice's release comes without one, but integrates perfectly with an existing Pref Pane.

I hope this helps.

And maybe in turn someone could point me to a working kext for my O2Micro Cardbus controller. :)

Which doesn't seem to get recognized out of the box on Snow 10.6.2, unfortunately, not on my laptop at least. I think it's an "O2Micro OZ711EZ1", and here's what lspci says under Ubuntu:

03:01.0 CardBus bridge [0607]: O2 Micro, Inc. Cardbus bridge [1217:7135] (rev 21)

Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:01fe]

Flags: bus master, stepping, slow devsel, latency 168, IRQ 19

Memory at f1a00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Bus: primary=03, secondary=04, subordinate=07, sec-latency=176

Memory window 0: f0400000-f07ff000 (prefetchable)

Memory window 1: f0800000-f0bff000

I/O window 0: 00002000-000020ff

I/O window 1: 00002400-000024ff

16-bit legacy interface ports at 0001

Kernel driver in use: yenta_cardbus

Kernel modules: yenta_socket

Thanks a lot, and keep up the good work! :)

That sounds a bit like my guide :)

I just did a complete reinstall. Following my guide, I was unable to get QE/CI with the current version of kexts. But by adding one element to com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>GraphicsEnabler=Yes</string>

(Thanks to Gallus Longus, the chicken novelist ?)

I was able to get full QE/CI. The colours just seem more vivid (a purple tinge). Or is this flag killing my display ? :)

Hey msingh,

to get back the old Color of your Monitor is easy.

Just open the System Panel, goto Monitors, Colors and change your Profile.

For me works sRGB IEC61966-2.1 fine. But you can Calibrate your Monitor by yourself.

Adobe RGB looks also fine...

Have right now trouble with sound after update to 10.6.2 :)

VoodooHDA gives crash...anyway.

Anyone have a solution for Halt/Restart/Hibernate ?

Cheers,

Gallus

hey s0nykus, by any chance can you upload the new voodoohda kext for 64 that fixes the sleep wake-up problem?

thanks in advance!

Just follow (click away on) the links in my post above, the stuff is all there. :)

That way you'll always get the latest version.

cool I got it, except i get a kernel panic as the kext is loading and then my system is unbootable. is there something I have to do to my system to make it ready for it?

also, anyone with the D630 (although the two graphics cards should be quite similar), do you find that you can only use a max resolution of 1280x800 on external monitors that should go higher? whenever i click a higher res, i get a little notice that says "useable resolution 1280 x 800." i can't seem to find any help from google either. kind of strange. i'm hoping it's the monitor i'm using's problem and not my laptop, cuz my monitor is a cheapo 20 dollar acer monitor after all.

Hey Eric,

what kind of graphic card you have in your D630 ? And what´s the native res for your cheapy crapy Monitor ?

For me, everything works fine im my D830 / NVS140. Internal up to 1920x1200 native and same res on externel Monitor.

P.s. nice fast finger {censored} on your Jackson Video on Youtube, i´m also guitarist in a Metal Band. Right back from a little Japan Tour :D

Hey Eric,

what kind of graphic card you have in your D630 ? And what´s the native res for your cheapy crapy Monitor ?

For me, everything works fine im my D830 / NVS140. Internal up to 1920x1200 native and same res on externel Monitor.

P.s. nice fast finger {censored} on your Jackson Video on Youtube, i´m also guitarist in a Metal Band. Right back from a little Japan Tour ;)

i've got the NVS135m, which should support all the resolutions the NVS140m does, and the specs on the nvidia site says i should be able to go up to 1600x1200 digital (dunno the difference between that and analog, but digital is the lower maximum resolution). the native res for my acer monitor is 1680x1050. the max my laptop monitor goes to is 1280x800, but that shouldn't be the limit for external too right?

and ahh you're a metal guitarist on tour! respect! that's a dream right there. do you have a myspace/youtube for your music?

But after that, I've discovered something even better: a fork form the original VoodooHDA project, continued by Slice on:

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=355

His latest version is VodooHDA 0.2.52 as I write this, and guess what... he has finally solved the sound after sleep problem. I can positively confirm this, no more sound problems after sleep with this new version!

Thank you!!!!!!!!

You made my day, it does indeed fix the corrupted audio after sleep mode.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey msingh,

to get back the old Color of your Monitor is easy.

Just open the System Panel, goto Monitors, Colors and change your Profile.

For me works sRGB IEC61966-2.1 fine. But you can Calibrate your Monitor by yourself.

Adobe RGB looks also fine...

Have right now trouble with sound after update to 10.6.2 :P

VoodooHDA gives crash...anyway.

Anyone have a solution for Halt/Restart/Hibernate ?

Cheers,

Gallus

So far, I've followed most of the advice in this thread and in another D830 thread and what I have so far is that when booted in x86 mode all devices work, and sleep/hibernate work.

I have a modified DSDT to support closing the lid to sleep and enabling AppleHDA with legacySTAC9205.kext. I don't use the HPET fix because it kills my USB. The only problems I'm having right now are shutdown/restart.

I got hibernate to work by taking a WAG at it. Given that when hibernatemode is left untouched, the system writes memory off to disk on sleep by default, I tried just pulling the battery once the system entered sleep. To my surprise, Chameleon attempted to restore but complained about the hibernate file being encrypted. After turning off "Secure Virtual Memory" in System Preferences, I rebooted and tried my experiment again. It worked. Kind of ghetto, but it works. Now, when I sleep my machine, I pop the battery loose for a few seconds, plug it back in, and it resumes on the next boot. Pretty cool.

Has anyone else tried this? Does it work for you?

• 2 weeks later...
I got hibernate to work by taking a WAG at it. Given that when hibernatemode is left untouched, the system writes memory off to disk on sleep by default, I tried just pulling the battery once the system entered sleep. To my surprise, Chameleon attempted to restore but complained about the hibernate file being encrypted. After turning off "Secure Virtual Memory" in System Preferences, I rebooted and tried my experiment again. It worked. Kind of ghetto, but it works. Now, when I sleep my machine, I pop the battery loose for a few seconds, plug it back in, and it resumes on the next boot. Pretty cool.

I tried your suggestion but Chameleon won't use my sleepimage file due to an 'incorrect signature'. I tried deleting /var/vm/sleepimage as suggested elsewhere, but while the file is re-created when entering sleep mode, chameleon still wont restore from it.

• 2 weeks later...
I tried your suggestion but Chameleon won't use my sleepimage file due to an 'incorrect signature'. I tried deleting /var/vm/sleepimage as suggested elsewhere, but while the file is re-created when entering sleep mode, chameleon still wont restore from it.

Fixed!

The standard Chameleon bootloader won't restore a sleepimage file if it is greater or equal to 4GB (I have 4GB of memory).

A patched boot file to solve this problem can be found here http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php?topic=743.0.

You can either build you own file or just use the pre-compiled 'boot' file and put it in your root directory (after taking a copy of your current working file). That plus turning off "use secure virtual memory" on the control panel gets recovery from hibernation working (handy if your battery runs flat while in sleep mode).

• 3 weeks later...
So far, I've followed most of the advice in this thread and in another D830 thread and what I have so far is that when booted in x86 mode all devices work, and sleep/hibernate work.

I have a modified DSDT to support closing the lid to sleep and enabling AppleHDA with legacySTAC9205.kext. I don't use the HPET fix because it kills my USB. The only problems I'm having right now are shutdown/restart.

This sounds exciting. Can you explain what you precisely did ? (What is WAG ? - sorry about the ignorance.)

• 3 weeks later...

first of all - thanks to everyone for providing so much infos about the d830...

in the last 4 weeks i tried to install snow leopard on my dell d830.

being an only-microsoft-user till now, made it a bit hard.

but reading through a bunch of guides without posting till now, trying 5 different DVDs (kalyway, iatkos, iPC,...) i finally ended up in a successfull installation!

i installed 10A432, booting from dvd never was a problem, but the first boot-attempt did fail constantly, because of APPLEPIIXATA Problem.

i do only own windows-machines and so i connected my HDD via SATA-USB-connector with my windows-machine, installed macdrive and simply deleted the folder IOATAfamily.

now booting in macosx works like a charm...

then i installed a customized kext especially designed for D830, which you can find here D830 KEXT

then i installed:

APPLEBCM5751ETHERNET

VOODOOHDA

nvkush_installer

now, i got only a few open answers left...

1) when i shutdown - the notebook/fan/powerled stay still on and i need to push powerbutton 5secs to kill - howto fix? only a kext?

2) afaik my NVS140M works correct, support from 1024x768 to 1680x1050.

but how about to add a resolution which i wanna use to ones chooseable?

i want to to use 1440x900, but cannot choose - only 1280x800 or 1344x???

how about to constantly add the choice of 1440x900?

3) a very mac-noobish question - can i raise the global fontsize in mac like in windows - if i could, i would use 1680x1050 with bigger fontletters...

*EDIT* found out, that it should work with tinkertool - i'll try it...

4) how to check if my system has been installed in 64bit mode?

i could not choose 32/64 during install...

5) can someone explain me, for which hardware/function some kexts are?

because i don't really know if i need them and don't want to mess up my system cause of a unnessesary kext-install. kexts.com is really a good archive, but without description for any kext. thats lame...

the ones i'm especially interested are...

...HDEFENABLER (it is for audio, but do i need it when installed VOODOOHDA?

...VOODOOBATTERY (does what?)

...OPENHALTRESTART (does it fix my shutdown problem?)

...IOATAFAMILY (since i had to delete it for a successfull install, do i have to reinstall it later for using my internal multibay-PATA-HDD or DVD?)

...SLEEPENABLER

would be very thankful for some tips...

since i did never touch MACOS till now, i'm really positive surprised of it till now.

i only want to run TRAKTOR on my hackintosh - nothing more (cause of delays in windows) - but MACOSX looks really cool - maybe change completely...