[GUIDE] Minimalist retail install of Snow Leopard on Dell D830

msingh

Did this guide work as advertised for your Dell D830 ?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Did this guide work as advertised for your Dell D830 ?

• Yes.
    • No, and I am posting the problem I have.
    • Something else - see my post.

85 posts in this topic

Third update (Sep 30, 2009)

----------------------------------

I am wary about calling this an update. Those of you who have been following me know that I screwed up the install somehow and had to reinstall. Upon reinstallation, I used the latest version of the Extra kexts, and found that I did not have QE/CI. And that Pages (for one) shows blank documents without QE/CI. That was a major bummer, until I found a modification that Gallus Longus had made to com.apple.Boot.plist. That fixed it - full QE / CI (the display looks slightly purple though and some apple things (like highlights) that are normally blue, appear as purple). However, there is a price to be paid here. You can get sleep working, but hibernation does not. Neither does shutdown / reboot (and its pretty obvious that the thing that is keeping the machine from hibernating is also the thing that is keeping shutdown and reboot from working). Yes, I am using OpenHaltRestart.kext.

Installation procedure - no difference from earlier guide (which is why I am pitching this as an update, and not a new guide). Just the contents of /Extra are different.

What saved my hide ?

The fact that I had all my data on a separate partition (the TrueCrypt one). So, while I still spent about 3 hours reinstalling everything I need, I did not have to worry about 45 gigs of data being lost. Do yourself a favour. Scratch that. This is mandatory ( :blink: ). You must partition the hard disk before installing anything. Save the dmg files etc. of what you install in that second partition.

And I want to give a shout out to the makers of Carbon Copy Cloner, which has saved my hide more than once.

Second update (Sep 26, 2009)

-----------------------------------

Used software update to install 10.6.1. Rebooted. No issues. A first for my hackintoshes since 10.5.6.

Also fixed the missing mouse problem by replacing the VoodooPS2 kexts with 64 bit ApplePS2Controller and AppleACPIPS2Nub kexts. The last mentioned might be the same, but why take a chance ?

Uploaded updated Extensions.zip.

First update (Sep 24, 2009)

-------------------------------

Got my wireless card (Dell 1390) in the mail today. I installed it. As soon as I powered up the system, it was detected as an Airport card. Easy. Thanks to EricCW for the suggestion.

As promised, here is the update:

First the files - I have updated the Extensions.zip file. Feel free to grab the new one. In addition, I have included a com.apple.Boot.plist. This goes into /Extra. Leave your system com.apple.Boot.plist untouched. It will be overridden. This is essential for getting the massively improved display (mine is 1920x1200).

-----------

I like vanilla installs that do the least possible amount of violence to a retail OS X install. You carry out the following steps at your own risk. If anything happens as a result of following this guide, I am not responsible. Caveat emptor.

Before you start, you will need:

1. A working macbook / hackintosh with two free USB ports (you will need one of them for just a moment).

2. DVD containing Snow Leopard (dmg on the above mac will do).

3. One USB thumbdrive (1 GB will do).

4. One Linux live CD (I suggest Ubuntu).

5. SATA-USB connector with power supply. Borrow one from a friend.

6. Intel's iasl. Save it to your macbook / hackintosh. (Its attached.).

7. Bluetooth / USB keyboard and mouse (ACPIPS2Nub.kext does not load and as a result, the built in keyboard etc. do not work.).

8. SATA mode set to AHCI (do not know if ATA would work, but this is what I used).

Ok ?

This is how I did it:

Removed the SATA hard disk and connected it to my Macbook (any Hackintosh will do) using a SATA-USB convertor.

Partitioned it into two parts (GUID map) - Macintosh HD and User Data. The second partition is for my data, and will be encrypted using Truecrypt. That way, if I screw up my install, I do not have to re-copy everything over.

From Guide to Perfect Vanilla Snow Leopard install.,

Use Disk Utility to partition in using GPT - GUID Partition Table

Important: Right click on the new volume on your desktop, Get Info, Click the little lock icon in the bottom right corner to authenticate and UNCHECK 'Ignore ownership on this volume' or else the permissions will be all screwed up after you install.

What follows next can be made to sound complicated. It is not. I will just include the steps that matter.

1. Install Snow Leopard Mac OSX. Before doing anything:

$ sudo chown 0:0 /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD\ 1
$ open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

The first bit assumes that your HD on the Macbook or the Hackintosh on which you are doing this is named "Macintosh HD" (hence the 1). Otherwise, the target disk will simply be named "Macintosh HD".

That last bit above assumes that you burnt a DL DVD from the dmg. If not, substitute accordingly.

Using Disk Utility, select the target volume, and click info. Note down the UUID somewhere on the macbook.

2. Install chameleon 2 RC3. Get it from the attachments. This one comes as a pkg. One important point here. Install it to the right Macintosh HD if you know what I mean :(

3. This will create a folder named /Extra. Open a Terminal. Type:

$ sudo mkdir /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD\ 1/Extra/Extensions

4. You will note one thing in whatever follows - you will be asked to authenticate repeatedly whenever you copy or delete anything from the target volume. That is a necessary result of setting the disk permissions above in the info box (see above). Possess your soul in patience. Now:

Take the Extensions folder, unzip it, and copy its contents to /Volume/Macintosh HD\ 1/Extra.

Next, using the Terminal, change directory to that folder, and change ownership to root:wheel and set permissions recursively to 755.

5. Symlink some extensions and move some.

$ cd /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD\ 1
$ cd System/Library/Extensions
$ sudo mv IOATAFamily.kext ../../.. 

Now symlink (using sudo) some extensions so that you can see (in /System/Library/Extensions):

To Unix newbies, symlink is the same as windows shortcut. Use command line ln -s file1 file2 to create a link of file1 to file2. The following has been edited by hand, so ignore the dates.

This has changed in the update.

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel    42B Sep 29 21:45 IOATAFamily.kext -> ../../../Extra/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel    40B Sep 29 21:45 VoodooHDA.kext -> ../../../Extra/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel    38B Sep 29 22:36 AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext -> /Extra/Extensions/AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel    41B Sep 29 22:36 ApplePS2Controller.kext -> /Extra/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel    38B Sep 29 23:35 OpenHaltRestart.kext -> /Extra/Extensions/OpenHaltRestart.kext
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel    35B Sep 30 20:23 SleepEnabler.kext -> /Extra/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext

Why use symlinks ?

The files sit in /Extra/Extensions. A future update can at worst destroy the symlinks. Except for one kext (IOATAFamily.kext), no OSX kexts are affected.

Maybe someone can make it even more clean. This is the cleanest I could make it at my first successful shot.

Now, go to /Extra/Extensions/PlatformUUID.kext/Contents/Info.plist (you will have to use Terminal). Scroll down and replace the PlatformUUID key with the UUID you noted above (this currently has mine).

6. Now we grab the dsdt. You do not need windows or mac to get it. Pick up your live CD, pop it into the DVD drive of the D830, and do the following:

a) Wait for the system to boot up (you do NOT need a hard disk in the laptop - I know you have already removed it).

:rolleyes: Start up the linux terminal.

c)

ubuntu $ cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > dsdt.aml

d) Copy this file on to the USB thumbdrive. The file will be about 25K in size.

e) Transfer this file on to the Mac.

You will not need that extra one USB port on the Mac any further.

7. Disassemble the DSDT. I am new to this, but what I did, works:

$ cp dsdt.aml dsdt.aml.orig
$ ./iasl -d dsdt.aml
$ cp dsdt.dsl dsdt.dsl.orig

8. Let us fix the DSDT.

Open dsdt.dsl. Being a long-term unix user, I just use vi. You can use whatever you want. Just save the dsl file at the end as a text file.

Search for the RTC block. Make it look like:

Device (RTC)
               {
                   Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
                   Name (RT, ResourceTemplate ()
                   {
                       IO (Decode16,
                           0x0070,             // Range Minimum
                           0x0070,             // Range Maximum
                           0x10,               // Alignment
                           0x02,               // Length
                           )
                       IRQNoFlags ()
                           {8}
                       IO (Decode16,
                           0x0072,             // Range Minimum
                           0x0072,             // Range Maximum
                           0x02,               // Alignment
                           0x06,               // Length
                           )
                   })
                   Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)

The length on the first part is changed to hex 2, the second one remains hex 6. If you change that to hex 2 as well, you will get HPET errors probably.

9. Compile it.

$./iasl -ta dsdt.dsl

You will get an error on line 7030 regarding alphanumeric strings (error 4001). To fix that error, scroll down to that line, and just delete the * character there.

Run compile again. This should compile without errors.

For your convenience, I am attaching the two files (dsl and aml). Copy that dsdt.aml, or your own to /Extra and / (I do not know if both are necessary.).

10. That is it (so far). Unmount the two partitions you made using eject and eject all. Disconnect the disk from the adaptor and insert it into the laptop. Boot. It should take you to welcome screen.

What does not work:

The mouse, trackpad and keyboard do not work. I used a bluetooth mouse (bluetooth works out of the box - yay !) and a USB keyboard. Neither does the BCM5755 ethernet card. I think that might have something to do with having the right plist in the kext. If you have the Intel 4965 AGN, that does not work, get a Dell card off ebay. The sound does not work either (though it should with VoodooHDA - I will get back to this later). Sleep does not appear to work, but then I just tried it once. The screen grays after a few seconds, and the system just sits there. Pressing the power button once brings up a screenlock password box.

Surprising stuff that does work:

Nvidia Quadro NVS140M works out of the box with QE/CI if System Profiler is to be believed. Did not see any artifacts. The resolution is the highest I have ever seen on any Mac.

Bluetooth.

To do (in decreasing order of importance):

1. Fix mouse, trackpad and keyboard. The Voodoo kexts fixed the trackpad (its hypersensitive) and the keyboard. No luck on the trackpoint / mouse yet. Got the 64 bit PS2 kexts, all three work now.

2. Fix ethernet / try to use another card instead of the 4965. Got Dell 1390 - works natively. Ethernet still does not work. System refuses to load the 32 bit kext that is floating around. Any idea where I might get a 64 bit kext ?

3. Fix sleep.No luck. When I kextunload NullCPUPowerManagement, the system crashes within a few seconds. System sleeps but does not hibernate.

4. Fix the resolution of the display to a higher number. Fixed using the modified plist in /Extra (see above).

5. Fix sound. Fixed with VoodooHDA (version 0.2.2 - version 0.2.1 makes crackling sounds).

6. Fix poweroff and hibernate.

----

Optional:

This is for those that depend on TrueCrypt.

There is no TrueCrypt version for Snow Leopard. Yet. The reason is that the underlying MacFusion open source library has not yet entered stable distribution.

I found a workaround (you may not want to emulate this - I get occasional errors with hdiutil when trying to mount the encrypted partition):

1. Compile TrueCrypt for yourself (you will need Xcode and some Macports).

2. Get a specially modified version of MacFusion (this must be installed and loaded before you start up TrueCrypt).

Chameleon_2_RC3.zip

iasl.zip

dsdt.dsl.zip

dsdt.aml.zip

com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

Extensions.zip

I added a custom com.apple.boot.plist to /Extra to get 1920x1200.

This is the clearest and sharpest hackintosh display I have ever seen. In terms of resolution, it beats the pants off my Macbook. System profiler reports full QE/CI support. Zero artifacts as far as I can tell.

I have ordered a Dell 1390 card off ebay (thanks to EricCW for that suggestion). In the meantime, I can report the following news:

1. Keyboard and trackpad work (trackpoint does not work).

2. Sound is working through speakers. When I scratch on the case, I can see the microphone respond in system settings - no systematic test though.

3. Display is now set at 1920x1200 as above. I did not use Natit or Nvkush. Maybe NVS140M is internally identical to one of the natively supported cards.

4. Network - wireless - waiting for the card to arrive from ebay.

5. Network - wired - the BCM5751 kext does not load (complains about architecture - I am guessing it was compiled for 32 bit - anyone have a 64 bit version ?).

6. Sleep does not work. I found a Sleepenabler.kext somewhere. It grays the screen, but once you tap the power button, it just comes right back up. Anyone who has a working sleepenabler for SL 64 bit ?

I will post an updated guide once my network card comes in.

One disappointment though - Truecrypt does not work with SL completely. You can decrypt volumes, but you cannot create new ones. Attempt to install truecrypt on the D830 failed. Its a known problem with SL. I am working around it by using the SATA-USB connector to create the volume using my Dell Mini 9 (10.5.8). Old volumes work on SL if you have truecrypt already installed (that is something I have no workaround for on the new machine - maybe a direct copy to Applications ?).

Has anyone gotten ACPIPS2Nub.kext to load on SL ?

Nevermind. Fixed using VoodooPS2 controller. Edited guide coming up in a few days.

oh wow, 1900x1200. that's pretty high. can I ask what you added to your boot.plist and how that works? I'm still very new to the DSDT scene, so I'm not quite sure how people get their graphics fixed up with no kexts. Is the DSDT you posted good to go for the graphics, assuming I edit the boot.plist, and will one DSDT work for all machines of the same make or is each DSDT unique to the computer?

oh wow, 1900x1200. that's pretty high. can I ask what you added to your boot.plist and how that works? I'm still very new to the DSDT scene, so I'm not quite sure how people get their graphics fixed up with no kexts. Is the DSDT you posted good to go for the graphics, assuming I edit the boot.plist, and will one DSDT work for all machines of the same make or is each DSDT unique to the computer?

Use a Graphics Mode block in the /Extra plist (leave your system plist untouched).

<key>Graphics Mode </key>

<string>1920x1200x32</string>

I will post my plist in the upcoming updated guide.

Yes, I am using the dsdt I posted. However, IIRC, your system is a D630. That might have a different dsdt.

You can use my procedure to fix yours. You just need a Ubuntu live CD and a USB thumbdrive (but probably not a second mac/hackintosh).

great! thanks for this guide, I'll try it out for the D630 as soon as I can. if you know of any other good guides for learning about DSDT, please link! because for some reason I'm doing a pretty lousy job of googling for good research.

a random question: the d630 monitor normally only goes up to 1280x800, including on windows...would a patched DSDT allow it to get as high as 1900x1200, or is resolution a hardware limitation?

great! thanks for this guide, I'll try it out for the D630 as soon as I can. if you know of any other good guides for learning about DSDT, please link! because for some reason I'm doing a pretty lousy job of googling for good research.

a random question: the d630 monitor normally only goes up to 1280x800, including on windows...would a patched DSDT allow it to get as high as 1900x1200, or is resolution a hardware limitation?

The resolution is limited by the physical LCD panel, the limitations of an external monitor or by the graphics card. The LCD resolution is shown in the BIOS setting page. It is fixed and cannot be changed (when you change resolutions on an LCD panel the image is just rescaled, the actual resolution of the screen does not change)

When using an external monitor, the laptop asks the monitor what modes it supports (using DDC). The laptop then shows those resolutions that match the capabilities of the graphics card.

Obviously the graphics card has physical limitations with resolution typically being link to how much memory it has.

I added by configuration here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1273213

Some of the info and KEXTS might help you

hey msingh (and disneysw, since you seem to be pretty knowledgeable on this subject), I tried your guide out and got my own DSDT from the DSDT gui patcher by pcwiz, but strangely, even when i'm not using the DSDT and just put a "graphics mode" key + string into my system's boot.plist (didn't work in the extras folder for some reason), I've got my native 1280x800 resolution. what's up with that? however, there's no QE/CI, since my menubar isn't translucent and when i add widgets it doesn't do the cool ripple effect.

can you (either of you) post a brief guide, or point me to one, of how to edit the DSDT to put in the graphics card to support QE/CI? thanks in advance if you can. i'm excited to finally see graphics work without shutdown problems.

hey msingh (and disneysw, since you seem to be pretty knowledgeable on this subject), I tried your guide out and got my own DSDT from the DSDT gui patcher by pcwiz, but strangely, even when i'm not using the DSDT and just put a "graphics mode" key + string into my system's boot.plist (didn't work in the extras folder for some reason), I've got my native 1280x800 resolution. what's up with that? however, there's no QE/CI, since my menubar isn't translucent and when i add widgets it doesn't do the cool ripple effect.

can you (either of you) post a brief guide, or point me to one, of how to edit the DSDT to put in the graphics card to support QE/CI? thanks in advance if you can. i'm excited to finally see graphics work without shutdown problems.

The graphics mode string will set a resolution if your graphics card + monitor support it. So without anything special, you can get the VESA mode.

For QE+CI, you need to have right module / kext loaded. What is your graphics card ?

The graphics mode string will set a resolution if your graphics card + monitor support it. So without anything special, you can get the VESA mode.

For QE+CI, you need to have right module / kext loaded. What is your graphics card ?

hmm I see, my card is the NVIDIA Quadro NVS 135m, which I think is pretty similar to the 140m that you have. Or at least I assume that, since our computers are supposed to be identical except for the monitor size. what is VESA mode by the way? right now the only kexts that get QE/CI working for me are the shutdown-breakers...how did you do it? I'm hoping that whatever works for you should work for me.

hmm I see, my card is the NVIDIA Quadro NVS 135m, which I think is pretty similar to the 140m that you have. Or at least I assume that, since our computers are supposed to be identical except for the monitor size. what is VESA mode by the way? right now the only kexts that get QE/CI working for me are the shutdown-breakers...how did you do it? I'm hoping that whatever works for you should work for me.

VESA is a set of video standards that all display manufacturers are supposed to follow to ensure interoperability.

I am not a DSDT expert and have learnt what I know through trial and error. Someone can correct me on this but I do not think that simply fixing ACPI will make a non-accelerated card, accelerated if the right kext is not available. Still, if the right kext is available, the right hardware info available to the kext, like chipset info, may increase chances of the setup working.

Give it a try - just do not go by product numbers alone as the underlying chipset may be very different.

I am not a DSDT expert and have learnt what I know through trial and error. Someone can correct me on this but I do not think that simply fixing ACPI will make a non-accelerated card, accelerated if the right kext is not available. Still, if the right kext is available, the right hardware info available to the kext, like chipset info, may increase chances of the setup working.

Agree, I think your going to need a KEXT to use the NV140 or NV135 graphics chips if you want full support. As for the shut-down issue, the problem is I can't find any info in what causes it. I know some people have had problems with USB ports (see openhaltrestart.kext) but that is not the issue here. The fact it also happens just when the machine is about to switch off makes it hard to get info on what is actually happening.

I do know that when I had a minimal install of KEXTs I could shut-down.

As far as I can see the only way to solve this is with a second mac running an external debugger, unless someone has additional info?

Agree, I think your going to need a KEXT to use the NV140 or NV135 graphics chips if you want full support. As for the shut-down issue, the problem is I can't find any info in what causes it. I know some people have had problems with USB ports (see openhaltrestart.kext) but that is not the issue here. The fact it also happens just when the machine is about to switch off makes it hard to get info on what is actually happening.

I do know that when I had a minimal install of KEXTs I could shut-down.

As far as I can see the only way to solve this is with a second mac running an external debugger, unless someone has additional info?

I have read elsewhere (it might have been your post) that the presence of openhaltrestart.kext makes sleep impossible. Is that true ?

NVS140M appears to be natively supported as two NV* kexts that I did not put in, were autoloaded.

I have read elsewhere (it might have been your post) that the presence of openhaltrestart.kext makes sleep impossible. Is that true ?

NVS140M appears to be natively supported as two NV* kexts that I did not put in, were autoloaded.

I've come to the conclusion after a bit more testing that openhaltrestart has no discernible affect on my system and it was nullcpupowermanagment.kext that stopped the laptop entering sleep.

So with sleep now working I discovered the next problem, voodooHDA does not recover properly and I believe the system is running slower than it should after awakening from sleep. I had a look at VoodooHDA and this is a well know problem, under Leopard you could just reload the driver but that hack has not worked since 10.5.6. I had a look at the VoodooHDA code and I have some thoughts on what the problem might be but I really need to setup another system so I can debug the driver (on hold for the moment).

As for the performance issue after sleep, I'm investigating the need to use the VoodooPower.kext........

Update:

After installing 'MSR Tools' (http://forums.msiwind.net/osx-software/cpu-msr-tools-for-snow-leopard-t14424.html) I discovered my CPU was never running at full speed. So I tried VoodooPower.kext and it works. CPU scaling seems to work as its supposed too.

Except after a few hours it is clear the system has become slightly unstable, possibly due to overheating. Yet more testing required......

Update:

Ok, think the problem was down to the option 'VoltageProbe' being set in the VoodooPower.kext I downloaded. Setting this to false seems to have improved the systems stability again.

I've come to the conclusion after a bit more testing that openhaltrestart has no discernible affect on my system and it was nullcpupowermanagment.kext that stopped the laptop entering sleep.

To test this, I kextunloaded NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. That induced a press-power-button crash within a minute.

Is there a way to keep this kext, and somehow enable sleep ?

To test this, I kextunloaded NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. That induced a press-power-button crash within a minute.

Is there a way to keep this kext, and somehow enable sleep ?

You could try VoodooPower, I'm still testing it and recommend you edit its default Info.plist to disable tstates in battery mode (two places) and turn off 'voltageprobe', these features are described in the documentation that accompany the kext (they can cause problems and are enabled by default).

My machine will run ok with nullcpupower but at a reduced speed and from reading your posts the only difference between your system and mine is the dsdt.aml where I used the 'gui patcher' to create one and you built it manually.

I keep meaning to mention that going into sleep mode takes around 30secs, first the screen goes blank, then nothing seems to happen for the next 25seconds then the hard dish light flashes before final sleep mode.

I also discovered that while my machine will sleep for a number of hours it does wake itself up if left overnight for no obvious reason (I see reports of macs doing this as well, so who knows).

You could try VoodooPower, I'm still testing it and recommend you edit its default Info.plist to disable tstates in battery mode (two places) and turn off 'voltageprobe', these features are described in the documentation that accompany the kext (they can cause problems and are enabled by default).

My machine will run ok with nullcpupower but at a reduced speed and from reading your posts the only difference between your system and mine is the dsdt.aml where I used the 'gui patcher' to create one and you built it manually.

I keep meaning to mention that going into sleep mode takes around 30secs, first the screen goes blank, then nothing seems to happen for the next 25seconds then the hard dish light flashes before final sleep mode.

I also discovered that while my machine will sleep for a number of hours it does wake itself up if left overnight for no obvious reason (I see reports of macs doing this as well, so who knows).

Thanks for the hints.

Can you post your dsdt.aml ? There may have been other things changed as well. Are you using Disabler ?

In my case, the system shows some hard disk activity initially, but the screen goes gray within 5 seconds. The only way to bring the system back at that point is to press the power button (which brings up a screen saver password prompt). I have waited for up to a minute with the gray screen.

I am guessing the system does not go into sleep, but just locks up until interrupted in some fashion.

Did you get your (blue) trackpoint / mouse working ?

I am using VoodooPS2 with ACPIPS2Nub (see my extensions), but while the trackpad and keyboard work, the trackpoint remains unresponsive.

I cannot load VoodooPower. It quits complaining about libkern/kext lack of architecture support. I am guessing it is a 32 bit kext.

Thanks for the hints.

Can you post your dsdt.aml ? There may have been other things changed as well. Are you using Disabler ?

In my case, the system shows some hard disk activity initially, but the screen goes gray within 5 seconds. The only way to bring the system back at that point is to press the power button (which brings up a screen saver password prompt). I have waited for up to a minute with the gray screen.

I am guessing the system does not go into sleep, but just locks up until interrupted in some fashion.

Did you get your (blue) trackpoint / mouse working ?

I am using VoodooPS2 with ACPIPS2Nub (see my extensions), but while the trackpad and keyboard work, the trackpoint remains unresponsive.

I cannot load VoodooPower. It quits complaining about libkern/kext lack of architecture support. I am guessing it is a 32 bit kext.

I'm using a 32bit kernel so that is one difference and no I am not running Disabler.kext as turns off one of the cores in my processor. I also discovered after a lot of playing around since yesterday that 'sleep' is dependant on the stock AppleIntelCPUManagment.kext running. This is one of the kexts disabled by Disabler.

So where does that leave me, if I ignore disabler and let the normal Apple power managment software run my laptop is fine and I have sleep, but the CPU is never clocked at full power. To get the CPU running properly I need to use something like VoodooPower - but its never a good idea to run to processes that are trying to do the same thing (voodoopower & AppleIntelCPUManagment). However that's what I'm doing at the moment until I find out more and the only issue I see is the odd KP crash on battery power (about once a day).

I posted my dsdt.aml in another post which you should be able to find easily by looking at my past messages. As for the keyboard/mouse/nipple I have all of them working but I'm using the ApplePS2Controller.kext.

Like you I'm trying to perform minimal changes to a retail install but still have it work 100%. I started with a bare booting system and have been adding KEXTs to enable the missing functionality.

BTW, you need to excuse me as only started using osx until about four weeks ago and am still on a learning curve about its internal workings. It wish I knew more about the third-party kexts, what exactly they do, why and what interactions they have with the rest of the system, but tracking that information down could take months......

I'm using a 32bit kernel so that is one difference and no I am not running Disabler.kext as turns off one of the cores in my processor. I also discovered after a lot of playing around since yesterday that 'sleep' is dependant on the stock AppleIntelCPUManagment.kext running. This is one of the kexts disabled by Disabler.

So where does that leave me, if I ignore disabler and let the normal Apple power managment software run my laptop is fine and I have sleep, but the CPU is never clocked at full power. To get the CPU running properly I need to use something like VoodooPower - but its never a good idea to run to processes that are trying to do the same thing (voodoopower & AppleIntelCPUManagment). However that's what I'm doing at the moment until I find out more and the only issue I see is the odd KP crash on battery power (about once a day).

I posted my dsdt.aml in another post which you should be able to find easily by looking at my past messages. As for the keyboard/mouse/nipple I have all of them working but I'm using the ApplePS2Controller.kext.

Like you I'm trying to perform minimal changes to a retail install but still have it work 100%. I started with a bare booting system and have been adding KEXTs to enable the missing functionality.

BTW, you need to excuse me as only started using osx until about four weeks ago and am still on a learning curve about its internal workings. It wish I knew more about the third-party kexts, what exactly they do, why and what interactions they have with the rest of the system, but tracking that information down could take months......

Thanks for your helpful response.

I took a look at the extensions are loaded when the system is running, and Disabler, even though it is present in /Extra, is not loaded. Using kextunload confirms that (I get a not found error.). On the other hand, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (version 90.0.0) is loaded. I will try removing Disabler.kext from /Extra and see if that makes any difference (it shouldn't, given these facts).

I could never get ApplePS2Controller.kext to give me a working keyboard, trackpad and mouse. Can you please post your ApplePS2Controller.kext and AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext ? Maybe I had the wrong versions.

I started using Hackintoshes only about 9 months ago. Its only recently that I started playing around with any seriousness, so I guess we are in a similar situation.

Thanks for your helpful response.

I took a look at the extensions are loaded when the system is running, and Disabler, even though it is present in /Extra, is not loaded. Using kextunload confirms that (I get a not found error.). On the other hand, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (version 90.0.0) is loaded. I will try removing Disabler.kext from /Extra and see if that makes any difference (it shouldn't, given these facts).

I could never get ApplePS2Controller.kext to give me a working keyboard, trackpad and mouse. Can you please post your ApplePS2Controller.kext and AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext ? Maybe I had the wrong versions.

I started using Hackintoshes only about 9 months ago. Its only recently that I started playing around with any seriousness, so I guess we are in a similar situation.

Nevermind. Found the 64-bit PS2 kexts. They are present in the updated Extensions.zip.

I have to assume that I am doing something wrong now, since 100% of the poll respondents are reporting success and I am also running a D830. (Edit: just read there was ONE vote.. could explain it..) Here are the EXACT steps I followed:

1. Attach disk via USB.

2. Partition, GUID.

3. Right click disk -> get info -> unlock -> uncheck (Ignore Permissions)

4. sudo chown 0:0 /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD

5. $ open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

6. Complete installer

7. Install Chameleon

8. Copy extensions folder over to /Extra on Macintosh HD

9. chown root:wheel/chmod 755

10. mv /S/L/E/IOATAFamily.kext /

11. symlink all files showin in the box.

12. /Extra/Extensions/PlatformUUID.kext/constants - Edit Info.plist, put in drive UUID.

13. copy dsdt.aml to Extra and /

14. copy com.apple.boot.plist into Extra and /

Boot on PC.

Issues: Startup video EXTREMELY choppy. No QE/CI reported in system profiler. NO sound (system reports no built in audio). Trackpad does not work. I ordered a 1390 for network.

Did i miss something or do something wrong? This is not my first hackintosh and I have some experience with this but the video performance is awful and the sound does not work for me. Is this what others experienced?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have to assume that I am doing something wrong now, since 100% of the poll respondents are reporting success and I am also running a D830. (Edit: just read there was ONE vote.. could explain it..) Here are the EXACT steps I followed:

1. Attach disk via USB.

2. Partition, GUID.

3. Right click disk -> get info -> unlock -> uncheck (Ignore Permissions)

4. sudo chown 0:0 /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD

5. $ open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

6. Complete installer

7. Install Chameleon

8. Copy extensions folder over to /Extra on Macintosh HD

9. chown root:wheel/chmod 755

10. mv /S/L/E/IOATAFamily.kext /

11. symlink all files showin in the box.

12. /Extra/Extensions/PlatformUUID.kext/constants - Edit Info.plist, put in drive UUID.

13. copy dsdt.aml to Extra and /

14. copy com.apple.boot.plist into Extra and /

Boot on PC.

Issues: Startup video EXTREMELY choppy. No QE/CI reported in system profiler. NO sound (system reports no built in audio). Trackpad does not work. I ordered a 1390 for network.

Did i miss something or do something wrong? This is not my first hackintosh and I have some experience with this but the video performance is awful and the sound does not work for me. Is this what others experienced?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It looks like the KEXTs required to make the machine run correctly are not being loaded. The files in /Extra must be fine or you would not have been able to boot the OS fully.

So I guess the problem is the cached copy of the files in /System/Library/Extensions/ folder has not been updated, so you have to run the the magic command:

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.paale.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

(it may complain about one of two files but not very many) running the 'verify disk permissions' from within the disk utility should also have the same effect.

Then re-boot after re-creating the cache to see if it works.

For some of the files you can manually load them by using the

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/kextyouwanttoload

command

It looks like the KEXTs required to make the machine run correctly are not being loaded. The files in /Extra must be fine or you would not have been able to boot the OS fully.

So I guess the problem is the cached copy of the files in /System/Library/Extensions/ folder has not been updated, so you have to run the the magic command:

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.paale.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

(it may complain about one of two files but not very many) running the 'verify disk permissions' from within the disk utility should also have the same effect.

Then re-boot after re-creating the cache to see if it works.

For some of the files you can manually load them by using the

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/kextyouwanttoload

command

I wrote this guide and just discovered a problem.

Ever since update to 10.6.1, the system profiler no longer reports Quartz Extreme enabled. Or maybe it is the PS2 driver. I need to recheck.

I definitely had QE/CI working initially. Something happened during the course of removing kexts or upgrading the system.

Damn.

PS : The display looks as sharp as ever. Probably the reason why I did not notice this until Pages started opening up blank documents.

I wrote this guide and just discovered a problem.

Ever since update to 10.6.1, the system profiler no longer reports Quartz Extreme enabled. Or maybe it is the PS2 driver. I need to recheck.

I definitely had QE/CI working initially. Something happened during the course of removing kexts or upgrading the system.

Damn.

PS : The display looks as sharp as ever. Probably the reason why I did not notice this until Pages started opening up blank documents.

Well, just so that we're not looking at the wrong targets here, I'm installing off an actual store bought 10.6 DVD that was bought on release day, so I'm at 10.6. I'm goign to try repairing permissions and updating the kextcache this time before booting (doing it again on a new drive) so I'll let you know if I have QE/CI on boot. If so, we can probably isolate the older compatible that's being overwritten. If not, then maybe something like nvinkect, nvkush, etc might work?