• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

garem

garem

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Had to reinstall over the old install to fix the no USB issue - reference for other ppl with the same issue, problem happened from a restore of the drive rather than a new install on a second go at it. So a new install worked right on top keeping the user settings but dumping the os - worked (the installer automatically does this).

Also noticed that if you run extra.sh without being a superuser you get Kernel Panic after a reboot, so be sure to sudo -s before running extra.sh, saw other users had the same issue. You will need to backup and use an old Extra/Extensions.mkext if you get KP.

-->What I did NOT install was:
IOATAFamily.kext <- overwrite IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext
IOUSBFamily.kext <- overwrite IOUSBFamily.kex/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBEHCI.kext

Why do I need these? I have all functions except for the ability to adjust brightness with F4 and F5 keys and OS X on the Vaio seems touchy to install. Why do I need these?

Are these obsolete extensions for 10.6.1 and only needed for 10.5.X?

ummacles

ummacles

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I don't know what is wrong with me.
I have built computers and done computer repair for years...

...but I CAN NOT get this working.

I got my VGN-P530CH/R about 10.5 months ago, and have been desperate to throw Leopard on it since about 10.49 months ago.

I haven't found an extremely detailed walkthrough for how to do the whole setup to get Snow Leopard as functional as possible, so I'm probably missing something small along the way.

My steps so far:

• Format my 8 GB USB drive in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format.
  • Used Disk Utility to select the Snow Leopard disk as the restore source and my USB formatted partition as the destination. Restored.
  • Ran Chameleon 2 RC3.pkg, selected to install Chameleon to the USB drive (that now has the Snow Leopard install files on it).
  • Copied boot, DSDT.aml, and Extra from vaiop20090910 to the root of the USB drive.
  • Plugged the USB drive into my Vaio P.
  • Turned the Vaio P on.
  • Pressed F2, opened the BIOS settings, activated booting from an external device, and set External to the top of the boot list.
  • Saved the BIOS settings and restarted.
  • Tried to boot the install (just by letting it boot as normal). It just keeps booting Windows 7.
Suggestions? I'm sorry if this is answered somewhere, but I have looked through all of the disorganised material that is scattered everywhere on these forums for the Vaio P (Snow) Leopard installation process, and I have found nothing that specifically mentions this problem.

Thanks!

beermacht

beermacht

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
since i've done this different (as anybody can read in this and the other vaio topic) i can't say anything about your way doing it - but you can always use the boot image i've made - it's uploaded and pretty easy to use
if you use it as described - you will be able to install the kitty on your vaio
but think about the partitioning - if windows is there and should stay there - you have to change the OSInstall.mpkg to be able to install osx on a mbr partition

ummacles

ummacles

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ahhhhhh! I got it!

It's so simple, once one knows exactly what to do.

I still don't have sound, but I haven't worked at that yet. Oh, and obviously the GMA500 QE/CI junk isn't working... YET.

SO, once I get as much as I can working, I'll be writing a tutorial for all of this in English/French/German/(upon request) using very detailed, very simple instructions, as that is how I love to do things, and is probably what is holding most people back. That, and the fact that a lot of info for the Vaio P is spread over a good three threads.

beermacht

beermacht

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
the point is: once one knows exactly what to do !
i'm also no computer noob (had my first one almost 30yrs ago) - but some stuff drove me almost crazy.
but once you get this stuff - it's almost to easy (made my triple boot eee after the vaio)

well - write the instructions - i would request yucatec maya but i think that would go to far :)

Th3G4mbl3r

Th3G4mbl3r

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
having trouble getting snow leopard to boot up on my vaio vgn-p35gk. I keep getting the "waiting for root device" error. I have all the kexts set up in extra as per original ryuu message and did the thumb drive install following the methods listed in the original thread in leopard forum using a retail DVD. i am even able to boot up my original macbook using the thumb drive but not the vaio. any help as stuck at this step for a while now....

beermacht

beermacht

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
well - booting the original with a boot pendrive won't say anything - the problem is the missing kext for your controller
(and don't forget - never install chameleon on a apple system ;) )

i wrote in another topic about the installation: CLICK
all the needed files are there and all the steps are explained - but if you do it with that guide - do your self a favour and use the stuff as described (and only with the files from the posting)
(explanation: it's really bad to explain something 4 times and the other one still uses other stuff with different programs - even if some might think "where's the difference?" - well - my vaio bootimage works, it worked on the vaio p and on the eee1101ha)

Th3G4mbl3r

Th3G4mbl3r

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

well - booting the original with a boot pendrive won't say anything - the problem is the missing kext for your controller
(and don't forget - never install chameleon on a apple system :) )

i wrote in another topic about the installation: CLICK
all the needed files are there and all the steps are explained - but if you do it with that guide - do your self a favour and use the stuff as described (and only with the files from the posting)
(explanation: it's really bad to explain something 4 times and the other one still uses other stuff with different programs - even if some might think "where's the difference?" - well - my vaio bootimage works, it worked on the vaio p and on the eee1101ha)

Well i've all the kext's from the posting by Ryuu right at the start of the thread you have mentioned. I want to try out your image as a last resort as for now i am still trying to do a clean install straight from a retail DVD. Do not worry, not planning to install chameleon on the apply system itself. ;) but i guess since nobody else has any suggestions i might as well go ahead and try and out your boot image and get going.

beermacht

beermacht

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
well - my image has only the files from ryuu - the purpose of my image is only the ability to get it easyly done on a windows machine

beermacht

beermacht

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
any news on the gma500 ??
i've extracted the graphics driver from the iphone 3gs firmware package (i was not the first one with that idea - but none here postet something about it)

maybe some of the talented people are able to play something with that file

Attached File  IMGSGX535GLDriver.bundle.rar   353.05KB   12 downloads

nickday

nickday

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Hi,

Has anybody managed to get anywhere with sleep or hibernate? This is the most annoying thing for me and it definitely makes the system less usable having to shutdown and restart and reopen all apps all the time.

I've just seen this post - http://www.insanelym...howtopic=209441 - which mentions using Console, dmesg and IOUSB to determine which device was preventing the system from sleeping. Maybe somebody can try something like this so we can at least identify the offending device? I'll try and give it a go in a few days time.

Nick

L@u27

L@u27

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

morning everyone, it's cold outside - but i had to try it :D

bad picture quality - but i think some of you will get it :)

gps is working on the vaio p
too bad that there is no good software on the market and running a routing software on a virtual machine would be real slooooooooow :wacko:

edit:
yes, i know that anyone can find the place where i live with those coordinates - but i couldn't care less ;)
no, i don't live in that crappy house you can see in google earth, that hut is long gone :)

And this is where Codeweavers Crossover comes into place, because with this program you don't have to run a virtual machine to run Windows-programs ;)

Hello everybody i'm yet another noob and ordered my Vaio P today, and i'm also planning on putting Snow Leopard on this ubergadget :)

beermacht

beermacht

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

And this is where Codeweavers Crossover comes into place, because with this program you don't have to run a virtual machine to run Windows-programs ;)

Hello everybody i'm yet another noob and ordered my Vaio P today, and i'm also planning on putting Snow Leopard on this ubergadget :)

crossover didn't work with autoroute 2010 & igo8 (pc version)

L@u27

L@u27

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

crossover didn't work with autoroute 2010 & igo8 (pc version)

Hmm okay, as soon as my Vaio P arrives i'll try it out too. Are there any more navigation-programs available for windows we can test?

Edit: Okay i got the Igo8 pc version working with Crossover. As far as i know you can only download pre-installed versions of Igo8 (no installation needed just click on the .exe-file inside the downloaded folder).

Anyway first you have to let Crossover create a ''bottle'' for Windows XP by opening Crossover and then selecting from the top bar ''configure'' and then ''install software''. Then you click on ''install unsupported software'' followed by ''continue'', then the required bottle is created and you can click ''cancel''.

After that you can just close Crossover and go to your downloaded folder of Igo8 and click on the .exe file (if there are multiple .exe files like in mine click on ''iGo_pc.exe''). And thats it!! now you can run the program without having it installed on your computer :)

Maybe there's also a version which you can actually install but i haven't found it yet, this works for now so i'm happy :D

Ps: i haven't been able to get Autoroute 2010 to work because it requires .NET Framework 3.5 (you'll notice when you try to install it), and when it try's to install it nothing happens and it kindoff hangs :(

flashhead

flashhead

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
My Vaio SL installation was running without any problems for 2 months. Now I've installed Little Snitch, made the necessary reboot and got this:

Posted Image

Is there any way to rescue my installation (lots of stuff and time) or do I have to reinstall everything?

Please help me if you have any idea!

Thanks in advance!

flashhead

DxTRLaBs

DxTRLaBs

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
im having a hell of a time instaling snow on my P its a mexican version vgn-p650t/q
but everything is basicly the same.i needddd your help

well anyways heres where i am i hope you can help me.

i tried everything the way described on the snow leopard vaio p thread......but i can get it to read the usb.....ive tried many usb drives some flash some hd...but it wont read the install.........ive tried a couple thinks.......it will take windows 7 on a usb and any install dvd....i tried ideneb 1.4 and it starts but gets errors im guessing because of the chipset.......but fails......

so i know im getting somewhere but i guess im doing something wrong so this is what im doing....

1. format my usb in hfs+ Guid
2. i restore SL to the USB
3. Run chameleon 2 Rc3 Installer on the USB
4. copy the files in vaiop20091014us and the boot from the vaiop20090910us as superuser
5. poping it in the Vaio P......

with no response it boots directly into windows......the bios is modified to that externals boot first.....but no response

i tried beermachk method but also doesnt work for me either...what am i doing

beermacht

beermacht

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
maybe you should try it again, but different

arrogantly quoting myself:
here are some notes about it:

format the boot stick (512mb min.) with fat and use mbr (no hfs and guid!!)
use transmac to format the stick with the image
also use transmac to transfer the original sl dvd as and dmg image to your hdd
this image should be placed on a 8gb stick (also fat and mbr) - same here, format the stick with the dvd image

use fast pendrives - installing with a 30mb/s stick is far less painful than with a 8mb/s

boot as described in this and the "old thread" (cpus=1 -f) and install it like described there.

Attached File  VaioBootImage.rar   1.91MB   37 downloads

DxTRLaBs

DxTRLaBs

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ok got it to boot the boot usb....

then i get to the install i do and format my HD to HFS+ GUID with disk utility from the install....

then i remove the printer drivers and the languages im not ganna use and i install....everything is fine till the end when i get an error msg

Install Failed

Mac OS X could not be installed on your computer

The installer could not start up the computer from the disk "Mac HD"

try selecting your disk using the startup disk utility.

Click Restart to restart your computer and try instaling again

so. i try selecting the disk in the startup disk utility ....and i get

You cant change the startup disk to the selected disk.
the bless tool was unable to set the curent boot disk

what do you guys think

p.s. thanks for the vaio image beermacht worked like a charm

beermacht

beermacht

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
you're welcome :)

forget the startup disk utility - you habe to install chameleon

and maybe you should also take a look here

DxTRLaBs

DxTRLaBs

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ok i am now typing to you from my snow leopard P........thanks to everyone here......i tried to get WWAN working now any help

i got a mexican version of the P

its a novatel EVDO ...... i tried the globtroter link but it fails when its instaling opotium72.kexts or something like that.....

anybody

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2015 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy