• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

beermacht

beermacht

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
anybody done this on a windows machine ??
i have all the files, but the copied dvd image wont start

²thangbinh
look at the other thread

²adamj09
use google to find a whole website about dell mini's mith osx

elbeewee

elbeewee

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
hello everyone!

I just got Snowleo working on my VGN-p15g!

This is what I did:

1. restored a SL retail dmg to a 8gig kingston usb drive with diskutility (can also be done with the ''dd'' command in terminal)

2. installed Chameleon 2 rc3 to the usb drive after restore

3. put the "boot", "DSDT.aml" and "Extra" files from vaiop20090829 (cant find vaiop20090910) on the usbdrive * to copy the "boot" file use terminal: "sudo cp /boot /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD" when boot file is in your root directory.

4. copy the Chameleion 2 rc3 installer on the usb drive as well, we will be using that later.

5. now you should be able to boot from the usb drive! just install.

6. after finishing the install boot from usb but at the Chameleon boot screen select you HDD... welcome to snowleo

7. to make your HDD bootable do the same as you did to you usbdrive... install Chameleon and copy those 3 files on the root of your drive.

8. thats it!

I also installed the newest voodooHDA.kext with kext helper b7, after installing and reboot u can ajust the format to a lower frequentie at the MIDI audio setup to 44100.0 Hz to fix the cracking sound!

changed keyboard layout to english now the only thing that I need are driver for the GMA500!! hope the will be available very soon=)

ajuuhe

beermacht

beermacht

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

anybody done this on a windows machine ??
i have all the files, but the copied dvd image wont start

yeah - i actually did it (man - i hate qouting myself :) )

setup is working at the moment - why the heck is installing os x so hard compared to windows :D (i had every windows since 3.1 (and ms dos before that, and a c64...and a zx81 before that :) ))

beermacht

beermacht

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
newsflash - i'm stupid :)

i don't get it in my head, how to copy the boot (and the other stuff) to my hdd ?
i've seen a few ways - but none worked for me (not with sudo, not as root)

at the moment the kitty works, but no sound, no usb, no wwan, no bt, only 1024x768 resolution...

beermacht

beermacht

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
grmpf - resolution is fixed, usb works - maybe i'll get the rest now ;)

beermacht

beermacht

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
well, i think that i'm done
as far as i can see - "everything" works (within the limitations of the vaio p)

beermacht

beermacht

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
"Bueller? ...Bueller? ...Bueller?" ............. "Anyone? Anyone?" :whistle:

:(

and now back to topic

i've postet this also in the "old thread" - don't ask - it's the same file ;)

hiere ist my Vaio Boot Image - it's dirty cooked with stuff from the "old thread" and an image i found on the net (deleted some stuff and saved the needed files in it - it works - didn't care about the useless stuff in it - the compressed image is in a 2mb rar file - but you need a 512mb pendrive (480mb image).
Vaio Boot Image

her are some notes about it:

format the boot stick (512mb min.) with fat and use mbr (no hfs and guid!!)
use transmac to format the stick with the image
also use transmac to transfer the original sl dvd as and dmg image to your hdd
this image should be placed on a 8gb stick (also fat and mbr) - same here, format the stick with the dvd image

use fast pendrives - installing with a 30mb/s stick is far less painful than with a 8mb/s :wacko:

boot as described in this and the "old thread" (cpus=1 -f) and install it like described there.
if you do it right, you can have it like that: my P11Z

i've made a clean install, nuked windows and installed SL to the hdd - but i wanted to use the gps feature, so i needed windows again :censored2:
rightyright, i changed the size of the hfs partition with SL, made a GUID/MBR hybrid on the free partition and installed 7 on it - installed all the drivers to get the wwan and gps working (fiddled around with the drivers - i found the asian driverpacks for the p after i was done :censored2: :censored2: :censored2: )
but - it's working - so i give a {censored} about the days (and night's) i've spended on getting this done without a real mac :angel:

nickday

nickday

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
This thread is really interesting. :angry2:

Can anybody tell me if sleep or hibernate work in SL on the Vaio P?

Does the WLAN that ships in the Vaio P work? Or does it have to be swapped out for another WLAN card (if that's even possible)?

Thanks,
Nick

beermacht

beermacht

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
hi nick
the only thing i use is the display off setting - that works - afaik - hibernate doesn't work
i didn't change any hardware on my p11z - wlan, wwan, bt is working, lan and vga out doesn't work
i didn't try gps - there is no useful software for osx on the market - i installed windows only to use autoroute :angry2:

beermacht

beermacht

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
morning everyone, it's cold outside - but i had to try it :D

bad picture quality - but i think some of you will get it :P

Attached File  05122009.jpg   105.55KB   83 downloads

gps is working on the vaio p
too bad that there is no good software on the market and running a routing software on a virtual machine would be real slooooooooow :wacko:

edit:
yes, i know that anyone can find the place where i live with those coordinates - but i couldn't care less ;)
no, i don't live in that crappy house you can see in google earth, that hut is long gone :(

flashhead

flashhead

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm a total newbie and I read a lot of threads here to find out how to install SL on my Vaio. But right now I'm stucking with starting the installation. I want to keep my preinstalled Windows 7.

In the beginning there were 3 partitions on my 128 GB SSD. One (1,5 GB) for Restoring Data, one (100 MB) I think it's for Instant Mode I want to keep and the W7 partition. I've resized the W7 partition to 40 GB and want to use the remaining empty space for SL in a new fourth partition.

First thing I've tried was the gparted-Linux-CD. I've created a new HFS+ partition in the free disk space. When I start the SL installation with the prepared USB stick I'm unable to use this new partition. I get the message "To install on this disk, open Disk Utility by choosing Utilities > Disk Utility, and repartition this disk using 'GUID Partition Table'. Important: you will lose all data on disk by repartitioning it."

But I don't want to lose my data. So I've tried to erase the HFS+ partition with Disk Utility and created a new Mac OS Extended partition but I get the same error if I try to use it for SL installation.

Is there a way to install SL on my system without losing my old W7 installation? Where is my mistake?

Thanks for help!

beermacht

beermacht

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
ok, keeping windows as it is, why not - installing all the drivers and stuff from sony is annoying
BUT - with a normal copy of SL you will not be able to install it onto a MBR partition (thats why it does not work at the moment) - you have to change the OSInstall.mpkg in:

/System/Installation/Packages/
and
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/

use the search engine to find a modified SL package - there are "a few" here on insanelymac

emip

emip

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the hard work getting SL to work on the Vaio P, I'm typing this message very happily on it now.
I followed fr3z3rburn's instructions and everything was very smooth and easy.

Although there is no QE, the graphics performance is very good! youtube works and dragging windows around is very smooth and responsive. OS X can render pdfs and transparencies so much faster on this hardware than windows or ubuntu. I really can't wait for full QE though.

The thing I'm really after now, just to make this truely useful is sleep. Ryuu mentions in the first post that sleep might work without USB? I'd find sleep more important then USB devices, how can I change this to get it to work? I tried kextunload'ing usb kexts but it always said they were in use. Is there some way I could script unloading USB, sleeping and then reloading USB? This would be ideal!

Thanks again!

emip.

tl;dr: This is amazing, it works a treat, thanks so much Ryuu for the intense coding and effor and to fr3z3rburn for the clear instructions. Pretty please can I have sleep?

nickday

nickday

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
My Vaio P is arriving tomorrow - the first job I'll be doing is backing up the hard drive and getting Snow Leopard installed :)

Sleep would be a massive bonus for me too - and if it means disabling USB then that's not a problem. I remember reading on another forum (about Acer netbooks - I used to have one but sold it to get the Vaio P instead), that installing SmartSleep (http://www.jinx.de/SmartSleep.html) sometimes got sleep to work. It allows you to change between different modes of sleep and hibernate.

Any help or advice anybody can offer would be great!

Cheers,
Nick

emip

emip

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I've just tried smartsleep and it doesn't help unfortunately.

The hibernate mode just makes the screen go grey until the mouse is moved or a key is pressed, and regular sleep modes just turn the screen off until an input-event.

Oh well, I guess something more sophisticated does need to be done :)

Thanks for the tip though!

nickday

nickday

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
I've got my Vaio P set up with OS X now - it's great! Everything works apart from QE on the graphics (I can live with that as i'll be using the laptop mostly for programming), and sleep/hibernate.

Ryuu mentioned disabling USB makes sleep/hibernate work? Anybody got any ideas how to do that?

Cheers,
Nick

emip

emip

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried removing IOUSBFamily.kext but sleep was just as ineffective... I'll continue to research.

Also, have you noticed how good the un-accelerated graphics are? A transparent terminal can be dragged around so smoothly... It's pretty suspicious. It hints we may be able to implement video acceleration and basic CI without any knowledge of the graphics card. (also the linux valib stuff for the gma500 is all open-source I think)

Anywho, even without sleep, CI or QE OS X is still the most functional of all the OSs I've tried for the Vaio P.

flashhead

flashhead

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks to beermacht, I was able to install SL. But if I boot to SL now, I can't access any USB device, they are not recognized by finder. So I can't install Chameleon to my ssd and of course I want to use USB in the future. What can I do?

Is it maybe because I didn't enter "cpus=1 -v -f" during the reboot between the installation and the setup? I've tried it but if I press F11 while booting nothing happens where I could enter it.

Thanks in advance for help!

emip

emip

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
@flashhead
Did you remember to apply the same patches to your installed volume that you did to the install DVD? (I mean copying the /Extras directory from the vaiop20091014us or similar archives by Ryuu123)

I was able to install these on my Vaio by using the wifi to get them off my other macbook, or from the internet. Then USB, webcam, bluetooth, sound, brightness keys etc worked.

Good luck!

garem

garem

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Lost USB and SD cards - cannot seem to get them back, I have sound though. Any help would be appreciated, a week so far and no luck getting 10.6 going.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy