Retail Snow Leopard on P5Q - Closest to the real Mac Pro yet!

Panther1

117 posts in this topic

I have the same board. I've had a heck of a time getting snow leopard to work...but it works. The only thing that stops me from using it is that I can;t seem to find a driver for my ATI Radeon 2400 HD pcie card. The driver I have works great for Leopard right up until 10.5.8. The only resolution I can get is 1400x1050 which ain't cutting it.

Also I don't see that Quartz Extreme is enabled either.

I tried with the EFI studio but that gives no results either.

Anyone in the same boat? Any solutions?

On a side note Panther, you say "Open CL 1.0 enabled"...but I don;t see anything in your screen shots that suggest it is enabled. How do you know? In my Leopard install it actually says it in the list...but not on snow leopard.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello to everyone,

Today I want to share with you my experience with installing Snow Leopard on an Asus P5Q motherboard with absolutely no kernel panics whatsoever! Defaults to 64bit enabled too!

1. Obtain the modded bios for this motherboard here:

Modded Bios for P5Q

2. Download and burn the bootcd here:

SL Boot CD - Chameleon RC3

3. Boot system with bootcd and eject when menu appears

4. Insert your retail SL dvd into drive and wait a few seconds then hit F5 and it will now show Mac OSX Install Disk

5. Hit enter and it will boot up into the setup

6. Open up Disk Utility and partition your drive for SL with GUID format

7. Exit out of Disk Utility and then proceed with install picking the defaults or removing unecessary items from list

8. Once install finishes it will state that it did not install successfully (hint it really did, it just could not bless the booting of the installation with out the help of the cd)

9. Reboot system with boot cd and then arrow over to your SL install and hit enter

10. Once you are at the setup screen finish setting up your system.

11. After setting up your system you will have just a few more steps to go for your perfect retail install

12. Download the Kext Helper app here:

Kext Helper App

13. Download the VoodooHDA 64bit kext file here:

VoodooHDA 64Bit Audio driver for ALC1200

14. Install VoodooHDA kext with Kext Helper

15. Reboot system with BootCD still in drive and pick your SL install

16. Voila! At this point you can update as normal and get up to 10.6.1 without any hassles or kernel panics.

* No drivers are needed for the graphics, they are native with full Open CL 1.0 enabled!

* Time Machine works out of the box!

* The only thing missing from this near perfect retail install is a way to get the BootCD boot loader installed on the SL install. Once this is achieved, you will have the perfect Mac Pro using your retail disk unmodified!

Below are the screen shots of my Mac Pro with Snow Leopard 10.6.1 installed:

First of all, let me say "Thank you" a hundred times over. This was by far the easiest Hackintosh build i've ever encountered, and the only one i've actually been happy with the results... well... almost. Any chance you can give me some guidance getting my MSI N9600GT card to work? I cannot change resolutions at all... i'm stuck at 1024x768x32, which is a tad underwhelming to say the least.

Hey, great news and I am looking at buying a more compatible MLB for my Mac/W7 rig.

Few questions for the original poster:

1> Perhaps you could clarify exactly which P5Q MLB you have from Asus, I go to look up my choices and there seems to be 10 models of it (http://usa.asus.com/Search.aspx?SearchKey=P5Q)

2> That modified bios link is dead, do you have an updated one?

I plan to get this board, use a Core2 with 4 gigs of ram and nVidia 9800GTX so im sure I will have to work with the video a little.

Hey, great news and I am looking at buying a more compatible MLB for my Mac/W7 rig.

Few questions for the original poster:

1> Perhaps you could clarify exactly which P5Q MLB you have from Asus, I go to look up my choices and there seems to be 10 models of it (http://usa.asus.com/Search.aspx?SearchKey=P5Q)

2> That modified bios link is dead, do you have an updated one?

I plan to get this board, use a Core2 with 4 gigs of ram and nVidia 9800GTX so im sure I will have to work with the video a little.

You can get the 2101 bios update by juzzi for p5q HERE

:rolleyes:

I have the same board. I've had a heck of a time getting snow leopard to work...but it works. The only thing that stops me from using it is that I can;t seem to find a driver for my ATI Radeon 2400 HD pcie card. The driver I have works great for Leopard right up until 10.5.8. The only resolution I can get is 1400x1050 which ain't cutting it.

Also I don't see that Quartz Extreme is enabled either.

I tried with the EFI studio but that gives no results either.

Anyone in the same boat? Any solutions?

On a side note Panther, you say "Open CL 1.0 enabled"...but I don;t see anything in your screen shots that suggest it is enabled. How do you know? In my Leopard install it actually says it in the list...but not on snow leopard.

Hi,

The easiest way to check if your graphics card is working is to read that article:

http://prasys.co.cc/page/6/

I came to the point with my ASUS P5Q18L mobo that everything is working except sleep. Did you managed to sleep your computer?

Regards,

• 4 months later...

I just installed retail Mac OS X on my P5Q Pro mobo with E8500 CPU and GF9600GT GPU. Everything is working(sound, video, etc), except for CPU recognition. Mac OS X thinks, that my CPU is 3.13Ghz Core 2 Solo. With only one core. iStat menus shows, that i have 2 CPUs, standart Mac OS X monitoring tool shows two load graphs, which also means that i have two cores. I have dsdt.aml in my / and also modded p5q pro bios.

How to fix it?

• 1 month later...

will this also work on a p5kc motherboard? or is my motherboard incompatible?

i just went through 2 snow leopard installation guides, but neither of them worked. does anybody have a guide i could try to install snow leopard onto my pc desktop?

i already have a macbook pro, but want my desktop to run in osx as well.

i have an intel core quad q6600 cpu, 2x2 ddr3 rams, nvidia geforce 9800 graphics card and a p5kc motherboard.

• 3 months later...

can i ask you what kexts i need for P5Q motherboard? im not talking about drivers(graphic,lan etc) im talking about kexts to system like iopcifamily and that kind f texts

i have a full retail install and updated but sometimes i feel the sistem doenst run like it should... or i have problems in shutdown

or aplications fail to run... or crash

maybe im missing a kext here...

can you post the kexts you used in one zip please? or just say the names i download from some where else

thanks.

Hi xpertvision

Delete your Extra folder, install this package and finally use Utility kext. Now you can reboot! Enjoy it !

see ya :)

looks like its working good with just this 2 kexts

thanks ;)

i was using 4 or 5 kexts more for nothing LOL

i will test the stability of my pc now , i will keep in touch if i found some problems ;)

thanks again

looks like its working good with just this 2 kexts

i was using 4 or 5 kexts more for nothing LOL

i will test the stability of my pc now , i will keep in touch if i found some problems :thumbsup_anim:

thanks again

Ok!!

I'm happy for you :D