[How To] Windows Vista and OSX!

17 posts in this topic

One more operating system to go and I've got my do-everything box finished... But right now I'm excited.

Getting Vista and OSX to both load is a bit difficult using only the Vista bootloader, but possible.

You've got to use bcdedit, a clunky commandline tool included with Vista, because boot.ini is no longer used.

Okay. So start an administrative shell--you'll have to go to the command prompt in the start menu and right click on it, and choose run as administrator.

This will bring up an administrator shell. From here, type bcdedit /enum active

This will print out the active boot entries. If you have one for an "Existing windows installation" pay attention to the ID--it'll probably be {legacy}

If you've got a {legacy}, follow these instructions. If not, skip past this bit.

Next, we'll copy that entry. To do this, we use the command:

bcdedit /copy {legacy} /d "Mac OS X"

Now we're going to set up the chain0 loader. You need to make sure chain0 (you can get it from many places on this site) is on the root of the drive your existing windows install is on. Now type:

bcdedit /enum active

You'll get all the active entries again. Look for the one with the description "Mac OS X." Keep track of the ID--you'll need it for the next step. Use the command:

bcdedit /set {ID OF YOUR OSX ENTRY} PATH \chain0

If you had an existing installation, that's it. You're done.

If not, here's the instructions for you (a little less detail)

bcdedit /create {MACOSX} /d "Mac OS X"

bcdedit /set {MACOSX} PATH \chain0 (make sure chain0 is at the root of your windows drive)

bcdedit /set {MACOSX} device boot

That should work-- I'm not entirely sure because I don't have a Vista-only box.

Any suggestions? Attempts?

I'm pretty sure this won't work as well with a Macbook as you'd be using the Mac's boot loader instead of Vista's. In any case, there are already existing instructions on how to install Vista with Boot Camp (though I'm not sure that Aero works).

Otherwise, it works great for getting Vista/Mac OSX to play together.

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to use the Vista bootloader too. Here's where I'm at. I've got a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop. Here's my partitions

- Dell diag

- XP Media Center 2005 (NTFS)

- Vista Beta 2

- OSX

My OSX partition was initially created by installing to a blank hard drive. Then I imaged that to a server with Acronis True Image. Next I put my original hard drive back in with the Diag, XP and Vista partitions. Then I restored my OSX partition after my third partition, the Vista partition, into unallocated space.

Using the bcdedit commands like above I tried to get it to work. There were no entries related to the OSX partition because it didn't exist when I installed Vista. I used the commands like the ones at the bottom of the first post. Had to modify the first one a bit:

C:\Users\Joe>bcdedit /create /d "Mac OS" /application osloader

The entry {3af771a9-fe5b-11da-98b0-adee5d1fa074} was successfully created.

C:\Users\Joe>bcdedit /set {3af771a9-fe5b-11da-98b0-adee5d1fa074} PATH \chain0

The operation completed successfully.

C:\Users\Joe>bcdedit /set {3af771a9-fe5b-11da-98b0-adee5d1fa074} device boot

When I tried booting I got no new OS listed in the bootloader screen. I suppose there's a command I missed to add the entry?

OK, tried the copying existing entry and used these commands:

bcdedit /copy {ntldr} /d "Mac OS X"

bcdedit /set {3af771a9-fe5b-11da-98b0-adee5d1fa074} PATH \chain0

Now I get an entry showing up on the Vista bootloader, but when I select it I just get thrown back to the bootloader again.

If I select "Previous Windows" I get to my boot.ini for XP and there's an entry for "Mac OS X" (I added chain0="Mac OS X" to boot.ini). If I select that the screen goes black then it reboots. I put chain0 in the root directory of the XP and Vista installs. Maybe it's my partition for OSX, not active or something. I believe I restored it as a Logical partition from it's image as that's what it was on the clean install.

• 1 month later...

@timeshifter This is the command that you missed:

C:\Users\username>bcdedit /create /d "Mac OS" /application osloader

C:\Users\username>bcdedit /set {3af771a9-fe5b-11da-98b0-adee5d1fa074} PATH \chain0

C:\Users\username>bcdedit /set {3af771a9-fe5b-11da-98b0-adee5d1fa074} device boot

C:\Users\username>bcdedit /displayorder {3af771a9-fe5b-11da-98b0-adee5d1fa074} /addlast

Now I get an entry showing up on the Vista bootloader, but when I select it I just get thrown back to the bootloader again.

When I set this up as shown above when I boot to OSX I get passed to Darwin. Now because I edited my com.apple.boot.plist to have a timeout of 10 seconds by adding this key:

<key>timeout</key>

<string>10</string>

Because of this I was able to see that the default partition was set to the active windows partition and NOT the OSX partition. It's simple enough to select the right partition but if you don't have the timeout set it defaults to the active windows partition and throws you back to the Vista bootloader. LOOP de loop

So anyone know how to change the default boot partiton in Darwin?

• 3 weeks later...

I seem to have it all set up, the bootloader and the OS X install, but it just throws me back into the bootloader after appearing to start Darwin for a second. (the loading cursor is "spinning")

Any ideas?

try pressing F8 as soon as Darwin comes up. (you gotta hit it just right) I think the same thing happened to me. Darwin seems to want to boot the active partition by default which is the Vista partition in my case. This has the undesired effect of "throwing you back into the Vista bootloader" The only solution I found was to edit the com.apple.boot.plist as shown in my previous post adding a timeout value. This makes darwin stop (without having to press F8) and lets you choose the correct partition that OSX is installed on. I have not yet found a method that does this automatically. Ideas?

ok that worked. now I have another problem.

While OS X is booting, it hangs when the mouse turns into the busy cursor. It goes through the "Starting Mac OS X" screen, loads all the way through, I have a couple seconds with the normal black cursor, it changes to wheel, spins for second, and hangs. Any suggestions?

I still have to adjust my timeout so I will do that hopefully right now.

• 1 month later...

Is there a way to UNDO this??? It didn't work. Here were my steps:

1) Install OSX on empty partition. System boots to OSX.

2) Install Vista on main partition (fresh formatted). System now boots to Vista.

3) Run commands above from Vista.

4) Got boot menu, OSX option returns back to boot menu, Vista option boots vista.

5) Installed Acronis from Vista.

6) Acronis now can not see Vista partition as an OS no matter what I set it to (from running the commands in this thread).

7) Attempting a fresh format of the Vista partition and reinstall of Vista gave an error, that the partition I was attempting to install vista on was corrupt. Even putting XP back on did not fix this partition.

What commands can I run to get my main partition back to normal? Something's really screwed the system up by using this method above, since even after completely deleting the Vista partition, and starting over, it still can't be seen (or added) by Acronis Bootloader.

HELP???

• 2 years later...

2 years have passed since this was written, but amazingly the following worked for me. I had done a retail OSX 10.5 install on a drive I had GUID partitioned with multiple partitions. I had made a FAT partition for Vista in anticipation of it.

It was easy to install Vista from the DVD... it booted from the DVD and showed the partition I set aside for it. I merely formatted that partition and installed... naturally it "killed" the Darwin loader and I did not know how to get back to the Mac side... Vista automatically loaded on each restart.

This method worked perfectly to get me back to Mac. I ran the command-prompt as administrator....got a copy of chain0 and put it at Vista's C: root. I didn't have legacy entries in bcdedit /enum active ... nor did I even have a listing for my installed Mac OS.

However, the following commands worked perfectly...of course you replace their number with yours (I did a select-all on my command-prompt window and ctrl-c to copy...pasted to a text document....then was able to copy/paste my long number each time I needed it.)

Without any further shenanigans, I am in dual-boot bliss. THANK YOU! jjhare for presenting this genius, timeshifter for clarifying, schale01 for helping timeshifter ;) and the rest of the genius bar!

C:\Users\username>bcdedit /set {3af771a9-fe5b-11da-98b0-adee5d1fa074} PATH \chain0

C:\Users\username>bcdedit /set {3af771a9-fe5b-11da-98b0-adee5d1fa074} device boot

C:\Users\username>bcdedit /displayorder {3af771a9-fe5b-11da-98b0-adee5d1fa074} /addlast

• 4 weeks later...
2 years have passed since this was written, but amazingly the following worked for me. I had done a retail OSX 10.5 install on a drive I had GUID partitioned with multiple partitions. I had made a FAT partition for Vista in anticipation of it.

It was easy to install Vista from the DVD... it booted from the DVD and showed the partition I set aside for it. I merely formatted that partition and installed... naturally it "killed" the Darwin loader and I did not know how to get back to the Mac side... Vista automatically loaded on each restart.

This method worked perfectly to get me back to Mac. I ran the command-prompt as administrator....got a copy of chain0 and put it at Vista's C: root. I didn't have legacy entries in bcdedit /enum active ... nor did I even have a listing for my installed Mac OS.

However, the following commands worked perfectly...of course you replace their number with yours (I did a select-all on my command-prompt window and ctrl-c to copy...pasted to a text document....then was able to copy/paste my long number each time I needed it.)

Without any further shenanigans, I am in dual-boot bliss. THANK YOU! jjhare for presenting this genius, timeshifter for clarifying, schale01 for helping timeshifter :thumbsup_anim: and the rest of the genius bar!

Hi Hackaroni - hope you look at this thread occasionally!!

Do you know if there is a way to do what you've done for Win XP rather than Vista? Is there an application like BCDEdit that can be used for XP??

Thanks

Rob

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

Thank you for the info. I managed to dual Vista-Mac OS X 10.5.6 using this method. The only difference is, I use "chain0" from Chameleon 2 RC1 because I need to use Boot-132 USB to boot Mac OS X 10.5.6.

kizwan