[GUIDE] Maximus/Rampage Formula - Retail Vanilla Install

Dismounted

75 posts in this topic

Dismounted, any idea why the Supreme FX II card doesn't work for me? DSDT is patched with HDEF and I've tried both the regular kext and ad19880b (whatever the number is, don't remember off the top of my head) fix kext, neither one gets audio recognized. Furthermore, when using voodoohda (DSDT patched or not) I get a KP on boot. Any ideas?

Dismounted, any idea why the Supreme FX II card doesn't work for me? DSDT is patched with HDEF and I've tried both the regular kext and ad19880b (whatever the number is, don't remember off the top of my head) fix kext, neither one gets audio recognized. Furthermore, when using voodoohda (DSDT patched or not) I get a KP on boot. Any ideas?

How did you get past the power management error during boot?

Done everything here to the letter and can't get past that.

Specifically it hangs at boot on:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTDATA - CST evaluation failed

Rampage Formula (actual not flashed) 803 bios

q6600, 4gb ram, ati 4870...

Hi, I was wondering if you have any solution to the usb problem under snow leopard, it works, but not as it should be, for instance, when using pen drives, external usb drives, and usb bluetooth, they present some issues. (mount/dismount and read/write problems)

Also, I am not using any DSDT fix, everything is working out with kexts in S/L/E...

I have snow leopard installed, using Retail DVD / BootDVD method, and a collection of kexts, do you have any specifically related kext for fixing this usb issues?

I have in my com.apple.Boot.plist using Chameleon 2 RC4

<key>USBBusFix</key>

<string>Yes</string>

For UHCI and EHCI Fix, but that does not make devices work 100% issues free...

Any Idea?

• 4 weeks later...
took me the whole day with trial and error but glad to say got it working on my Asus P5E Deluxe flashed with Rampage Formula bios, q9650, and 8600 GTS.

Did you have to change anything in your DSDT for your processor to work properly? I also have the QX9650 and don't want to muck around with modifying anything if I don't have to. I assume you just used his dsdt which was for his 6600.

• 2 weeks later...
Did you have to change anything in your DSDT for your processor to work properly? I also have the QX9650 and don't want to muck around with modifying anything if I don't have to. I assume you just used his dsdt which was for his 6600.

i actually used a DSDT i acquired by following another post which instructions include generating the DSDT file in Windows XP.

Hey man,

You said you got your audio working with the AnalogDevicesAD1988b.kext in this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...86707&st=40

Could you tell me where you got it? Can't seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks a million!

i got this kext on EFI/Extra/Extensions working

DSDT_aml.zip

AnalogDevicesAD1988B.kext.zip

• 2 months later...

I've gotten everything to work except microphone and sleep.

I'm using the AD1988b.Fix.kext for sound, but the microphone volume seems too low to be usable. :)

Can anyone confirm his microphone working normally?

Also sleep doesn't work, I can hear the hard drives go down, the screen goes black and the led of my usb mouse goes out too but the fans keep spinning and the leds on the motherboard stay on.

Dismounted said sleep worked for him, so it must be possible ...

Unfortunately I have no idea how to start debugging sleep problems.

I'm so close to having everything working so I'm willing to donate $100 to whoever can help me fix either of these problems. :) (not kidding)

If anyone's interested, drop me a PM and I'll send you my dsl, aml, codecdump and whatever files you need. ;)

I've gotten everything to work except microphone and sleep.

I'm using the AD1988b.Fix.kext for sound, but the microphone volume seems too low to be usable. :)

Can anyone confirm his microphone working normally?

Also sleep doesn't work, I can hear the hard drives go down, the screen goes black and the led of my usb mouse goes out too but the fans keep spinning and the leds on the motherboard stay on.

Dismounted said sleep worked for him, so it must be possible ...

Unfortunately I have no idea how to start debugging sleep problems.

I'm so close to having everything working so I'm willing to donate $100 to whoever can help me fix either of these problems. ;) (not kidding)

If anyone's interested, drop me a PM and I'll send you my dsl, aml, codecdump and whatever files you need. -_-

I have the same issue with sleep. Fans still spin.

I have an issue with the sound driver it works fine but when i connect my usb soundcard/headset it is not shown in the Auidio option but when i remove the audio kext from the Extra\extensions that u supplied temporarily the Usb Soundcard/headset shows and work is there any way to get them both working at the sae time?

when i remove ur supplied audio kext and restart what happens is that the usb headset now relies on the audio kexts in System\Library\Extensions and works fine. so is there a way to get them both working?

i attached the audio kexts supplied in ur post and also the 1 in ystem\Library\Extension.

Audio Kexts link Here

I have the same issue with sleep. Fans still spin.

What other hardware do you have?

Here's mine:

MSI VGA R4890-T2D1G-OC

Intel® Core"2 Quad Q9550 (12M Cache, 2.83 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB) LGA775

2 x HDD/Raptor/150GB SATA 3Gbps 1

2 x Maxtor 300GB HDD

memory 4GB 1066MHz DDR2

I'm going to mess around with the my DSDT some more, remove the soundcard, switch the graphicscard and see if it makes any difference.

• 1 month later...

Well. I really tried following this guide step-by-step seeing as i almost got the same gear.

Ive gotten as far as installing Leopard, and i can boot it up. However the next couple of steps where i am supposed to change the DSDT i dont think worked out just as good. I belive i followed the guide, pretty spot on, and i ended up having like 100 errors when i draged it ontop of the iasIMe.

I also draged your preset DSDT that was included within the zip (under DSDT folder). I got no errors when i used yours, however i extracted it using the program to see if i had the changes needed (listed steps around 10). However this was not the case, as far as i could see nothing had changed from the original.

So what im saying is, i guess im stuck trying to get leopard to bootup without using the boot132 CD. because thats what im trying to do, right?

If anyone is still browsing this thread, id appriciate any help.

Thanks

Hi guys can anyone help, i'm getting the following error

bash-3.2# mkdir /Volumes/EFI

mkdir: /Volumes/EFI: File exists

bash-3.2# mount_hfs /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/EFI

mount_hfs: Not a directory

bash-3.2#

Did anyone get firewire to work?

For me it says "firewire Bus: Max speed 400mb/sec" under "My mac info", however when i plug in a soundcard through firewire It pops out, but whenever i try to run a program to play a soundfile it crashes.

So im curious if your firewires are working flawless and if anyone know whats up with mine?

/Eric

• 4 months later...

For those who have the Maximus Formula, Maximus Formula SE and Rampage converted Forumla. We no longer have to edit our DSDT. There is a thread going on which will auto patch it and you can use DSDT Editor to even fixes errors in a DSDT.

Anyhow I am going to soon upload to that thread a Vanilla DSDT (untouched) Ubuntu Live CD extracted DSDT for both my Maximus Forumula Bios Versions 1302 and 1403 and my converted Rampage DSDT. I think I have Rampage 0803 and 0902 and there is now a 1001. I try and grab DSDT for each one of these.

If I don't downgrade back to a Maximus Formula Bios I may ask one of you guys to upload a vanilla Untocued DSDT to that site as soon as it can be done.

From this link I got the script below:

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=359

I boot using Ubuntu Live CD 9.04 and install ACPIUTILS then run this command at the terminal prompt:

mkdir ACPI && dmesg | perl -we '$n=0; while (<>) { if (($t,$a,$l,$o) = (/^[^a-zA-Z]*ACPI: ([-._A-Z0-9]{4,4}) +([0-9A-F]{8,8}), ([0-9A-F]{4,4})+(?:\s*\(([^)]+))?/)) { $o && $o=~s/[^-._a-zA-Z0-9]+/-/g; ($cmd="acpidump -a $a -l $l > \"ACPI/${t}".($o?"_$o":"").".aml\""); print "Running command: \"$cmd\"\n"; system($cmd); ++$n; } } die("No match") unless $n;' && zip -r ACPI-Tables.zip ACPI

I can't really go into the details but there are other ways of getting an untouched or non DSDT override Operating System DSDT like in 10.5 Leopard you should be able to extract one using DSDT editor as long as 10.5 Leopard is not set at DSDT override in the Chameleon Bootloader. You can do this in Snow Leopard to but you have to make sure you don't use DSDT Override in Chameleon Boot Loader and use NullCpuPowerManagement. If you try and boot to SNow Leopard without HPET fix or without NullCpuPwerManagement kext you will end up with a HPET CPU error and kernel Panic.

Here is the link to help on three ways to grab the Vanilla DSDT:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1572089

I am sure though Mald0n's patch will work for Either Bios Version 0803 or 0903 but will have to have a separate DSDT from a Rampage converted Maximus Formula.

Link to Mald0n first thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...235523&st=0

Link if you ever dare want to convert your formula to a rampage:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showth...Bios+Conversion

DSDT Editor Link:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=223205

These guys have done a Masterful Job on the DSDT project and its because of them we can now enjoy a nearly 100% Mac clone working like a Real Mac and in ways better than a Real Mac!!!

Sorry dismounted if I kinda moved the topic a bit away from here but it looks like this thread is no longer supported.

can someone test? :)

DSDT Auto-Patcher ASUS Maximus/Rampage Formula

DSDT_Auto_Patcher_ASUS_Maximus_Rampage_Formula.zip

folder Extra

Asus_Extra.zip

Tested the Auto-Patcher on my MF/Q9450/8600GT with BIOS 1403 with my current (large) set of kexts in E/E. The auto generated dsdt.aml made sleep work for the first time :D

However, there are side effects: Restart now hangs after sleep and sound is cracked after sleep. Shutdown works fine.

Using the Asus_Extra.zip set of kexts only, I had little success. No sleep, low-res display, no sound, etc.

Tested the Auto-Patcher on my MF/Q9450/8600GT with BIOS 1403 with my current (large) set of kexts in E/E. The auto generated dsdt.aml made sleep work for the first time :D

However, there are side effects: Restart now hangs after sleep and sound is cracked after sleep. Shutdown works fine.

Using the Asus_Extra.zip set of kexts only, I had little success. No sleep, low-res display, no sound, etc.

The cracked sound after sleep sounds familiar to me. If I'm not mistaken you can use a script to reload the audio driver to fix this problem. (though it's not the perfect solution)

Would you mind, uploading your set of kexts somewhere? I'm gonna give this a go, as soon as I get home. Hopefully I'll get similar or better results. :)

Tested the Auto-Patcher on my MF/Q9450/8600GT with BIOS 1403 with my current (large) set of kexts in E/E. The auto generated dsdt.aml made sleep work for the first time :(

I finally got the change to test the Auto-Patcher with very good results.

So far everything is working except the following:

- Restart hangs (even before sleep), no problems with shutdown.

- Cannot fully sleep when WD MyBook II is connected to USB, reboot needed hereafter.

(I worked around this by daisy chaining my MyBook and MyBook II on Firewire.)

My sound works perfectly no crackling or hiccups after sleep.

Attached are the extension in my "Extra" folder. Extensions.zip

• 2 months later...

I almost gave up trying to install but was having kernel panics.

Found out that these need to be disabled in the bios.

"execute disabled"

"disable CPUID"

anway the guide now worked fine and i'm running 10.6.0

as of today. No doubt i will have issues but am relieved to have installed it

for the moment

My hardware

Asus Rampage Formula X48

Intel q9450 CPU

Asus 8800 GTS 512MB G92

Cosair Dominator XMS2 4GB in dual channel mode.

Creative Audigy PCI sound card - Sound works with kXAudioDriver-1.11b0 great work buy Eugine.

MaLd0n

I used your autopatcher for the DSDT.aml file it worked great (used it in leopard)

thanks to the OP, MaLd0n and eugine for the information and software.

• 5 months later...

Has anyone successfully patched Ethernet (88e8056) into DSDT on a Maximus Formula (Rampage BIOS preferably)? I can get sysprefs to recognize the devices but it's always stuck on "Cable unplugged". If anyone can share their working DSDT, as well as any other changes they had to make to get it working, that would be awesome.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone successfully patched Ethernet (88e8056) into DSDT on a Maximus Formula (Rampage BIOS preferably)? I can get sysprefs to recognize the devices but it's always stuck on "Cable unplugged". If anyone can share their working DSDT, as well as any other changes they had to make to get it working, that would be awesome.

I have the same motherboard I didn't use the Dsdt I used the kext located in the package at the start of this forum it worked fine when place in extra folder using the kext utility. it has worked fine through10.6.3 - lion 10.7 also. if when you apply the kext you don't get a new hardware prompt just open up safari, preferences, advanced, change settings, hit cancel and you should be on the network page ....at the top open location click add.... name it home then you should see the ethernet/s on the left in red..... manually set the dhcp to 192.168.1.21 if you have a second ethernet hooked up 192.168.1.45 and you should be all set

I'm looking for answers on the sound for lion can't seem to get that to work

also wanted to add this I used the DSDT.aml when I saw that the kext worked for network thinking it would work without modifying it..... I ended up getting stuck on the apple logo with no wheel..... to correct this for me what worked was to reboot and at the chimera boot prompt typing in -f -F DSDT= /DSDT.aml once it loaded i removed the DSDT file... I really need a working sound kext

• 2 weeks later...
I found a working kext in [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 3.8.0 for sound voodooHDA 2.2 not the best but I have sound!!

My setup is similar:

Q6600

Asus Rampage Formula (Bios 1001)

4gb Gkill RAM (2+2)

2x 8800GT (For SLI in windows, only one is used correctly in OSX)

Sata WD 160gb Drive

Generic Sata dvd-writer

Everything works, except sleep. I've used the DSDT auto patcher, and put it in /E

Also, i cannot for the love of god boot in x64 mode. It just halts after a Fintek blablabla unknown chip id.

This error also apears in x86, but does not prevent boot.

Edit: Nervermind that, x64 booting fine after removing the legacyAppleRTC from /Extra/Extensions.

Just sleep missing :)