[GUIDE] Maximus/Rampage Formula - Retail Vanilla Install

Dismounted

75 posts in this topic

Thanks Dismounted! Another satisfied customer...

So far everything seems to work. I'm using a Maximus Formula, 4G, E8400, GTX260. I'm really surprised how well the sound works.

I did the initial install from a MacBook Pro to a USB attached HD. Removed the HD before reboot. Then followed your guide to install Chameleon/Boot to the EFI partition. I also used your dsdt because I am a lazy slob. But, I am going to extract my own and do a code compare just to make sure nothing was missed.

Please update your guide with the missing line about formatting the EFI partition. (my only gripe) I did see you updated the wonky USB hex digits. thnx.

I have not updated to 10.6.1. Does this go ok?

Thanks again

AR

10.6.1 flawless update no problems for me. Since we are all using different memory and processors should we not run our own DSDT's? Or is this an easy mod or fix?

10.6.1 flawless update no problems for me. Since we are all using different memory and processors should we not run our own DSDT's? Or is this an easy mod or fix?

Good point. It's far easier to extract your own and do the mods. What I would like to know is where does the info for the mods come from? Spec sheets?

You could also extract your own and use a text editor (like TextWrangler) with code compare to insert the juicy bits.

Cheers,

AR

I used eV0sXPatcher also known as DSDTSE. It has a dropdown choice with all the hacks in it. Get the latest version. The tricky part is where to insert for example a full mod not in your main DSDT.dsl and where to insert the mod script that seems to be partially there in the main DSDT script.

I have found a few places that show where they go like the RTC, HPET and DTGP. Some DSDT patchers have an option in their installer, you tick those options and it will place the script into your final DSDT.dsl.

Koalala has his patcher but runs in windows. Not sure what the advantage of getting your DSDT from windows would be? I know you can run a Linux Live CD like Ubuntu. Boot CD go into a terminal window and just type cat command "cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > dsdt.aml" without the quotes, which will extract your DSDT and I am sure that DSDT would be as good as the windows version of the DSDT extractor?

Another very very confusing point is if you are running chameleon with a DSDT somewhat patched and boot into OSX, then run the patcher, it takes some of the patching from the existing DSDT that is already loaded into the OSX. At least that is what I have read at the chameleon site and also on the efiusers site as well as the infintemac site. The last two sites have some great threads on DSDT. There is even a few people who will make your DSDT for you but mostly for the Gigabyte boards.

I am very happy with Dismounted's DSDT and guide. All I had to do is run the patcher again and it came out as an exact copy as his DSDT. For some reason though his DSDT gave me a kernel panic. Maybe because my memory and processor is different from his?

I really really appreciate your work in this guide!!!

I also have a Rampage Formula motherboard but I have already a Snow Leopard vanilla installation running without sound. Do I only need the kext for the sound or should I modify the DSDT also?

Thx again for this great guide (my only struggle was to get the sound working)!!!

Grtz

Edit:

I'm trying to modify my DSDT (with only the sound mod) but I keep getting the same error (first there where over 40 errors, now I still have 1 and I can't help it...)

This is the log file:

log.txt

So if anyone can help me out here, it would be much appreciated!

(sorry for my bad english, I'm from Belgium)

Grtz

Dismounted did you basically extract your DSDT using the ev0sX86 patcher (DSDTSE) and insert those Hack scripts from the DSDTSE menu?

Very difficult task to do. if I were to start from scratch what other tools would I need besides the ones you had posted? Would I have needed additional information from my IoregExplorer in OSX for example?

Trying to do this from scratch with a Linux Live Ubuntu 9.04 CD using the cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > dsdt.dat command and go from there. Probably too complicated I now but just curious how you started?

I have read that if you extract a DSDT from an OSX running Chameleon with DSDT override your extracted DSDT will be from the already loaded DSDT so thats why I think people are first extracting the DSDT in a vanilla way via Linux or Windows I suppose?

Could I extract a virgin DSDTin a Leopard using chameleon but a non DSDT loaded OSX such as 10.5.5? WOuld that DSDT file that was extracted be almost the same as the one you extract from linux Live CD or not?

Thanks

I managed to solve the error (I needed to add the method DTGP)

But now I still don't have any audio working. Does this really work with you guys? (You are using the seperate Supreme FX II sound card right (that came with the motherboard)?)

Yes same card. Works very good. Both analog and digital I/O are recognized in System Preferences. I've only tried the analog though...

Anyone tried the digital?

Hi all this is the first time I'm editing a dsdt file and i can't seem to get it to compile.

i've followed the guide as best i could and i took Dismounted's pre-made dsdts and compared the edits line by line. My formating appears exactly the same as his yet i cannot finish the compile.

I get "Error 4095 - Invalid character (0x0D)". 22 of them///

Do spaces matter in the formatting even if it's to match the structure of the code? Because thats the only thing that comes to mind as to what that synax error can mean. Please Help~~!

That is realy weird. My installation doesn't recongnize any input our output device. See this topic:

AD1988B Problem

Do you use 32 bit or 64 bit? (I can't boot in 32 bit for some odd reason...)

Read your other post...

Have you been removing kexts as you try things?

Both 32 bit and 64 work for me. VoodooHDA worked for me as also.

Bad Card? Does the audio work in Windows?

My SL install works fine (except for sleep).

But, how do I get Chameleon to boot my WindowsXP drive? What do I need to add to the Windows drive? (i.e. boot0 or something ??)

All I get it a blinking cursor when I choose the drive in Chameleon.

My XP install uses AHCI so this is not the issue. I've tried writing boot0 to the MBR but all that did was corrupt the MBR. The MBR is now repaired using fixmbr from the recovery console.

The Windows drive will boot on it's own if I change the boot priority in BIOS.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

AR

But, how do I get Chameleon to boot my WindowsXP drive? What do I need to add to the Windows drive? (i.e. boot0 or something ??)

All I get it a blinking cursor when I choose the drive in Chameleon.

My XP install uses AHCI so this is not the issue. I've tried writing boot0 to the MBR but all that did was corrupt the MBR. The MBR is now repaired using fixmbr from the recovery console.

The Windows drive will boot on it's own if I change the boot priority in BIOS.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

AR

Chameleon probably lists a 'Reserved' porttion of the NTFS drive as well as the Windows installed portion. Eg. Mine says Snow Leo, Macintosh HDD (Leopard), Reserved and NTFS. Try choosing the reserve when you boot up. If that doesnt work, try installing the latest Chameleon on a USB stick and boot that as primary and see if the effect is there.

Chameleon probably lists a 'Reserved' porttion of the NTFS drive as well as the Windows installed portion. Eg. Mine says Snow Leo, Macintosh HDD (Leopard), Reserved and NTFS. Try choosing the reserve when you boot up. If that doesnt work, try installing the latest Chameleon on a USB stick and boot that as primary and see if the effect is there.

Nope.

This is what diskutil shows:

Ace-Raiders-Mac-Pro:~ aceraider$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *320.1 GB disk0

1: Windows_NTFS Win_XP 320.1 GB disk0s1

/dev/disk1

0: GUID_partition_scheme *320.1 GB disk1

1: Apple_HFS EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS Snowy 319.7 GB disk1s2

/dev/disk2

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *320.1 GB disk2

1: Windows_FAT_32 Data_disk 212.6 GB disk2s1

2: Windows_NTFS Old_NT_data 107.5 GB disk2s2

I've been reading various threads from voodoolabs, netkas.org, and here and nowhere is there a clear answer.

This guide seems to follow the basic install to EFI (non-raid). For single boot to OSX this obviously works very well. The missing piece for me is what needs to be done to the WinXp drive to make Chameleon boot it correctly. I used chain0 previously and it worked fine with Tiger / Leo. Is that what I'm missing?

I tried Boot Think running off of a USB Flash disk. Using the Kexts from here and customized dsdl file. It does boot Both partitions without a hitch.

I would rather use Chameleon as this Boot Think thing is a blatant rip off of the VoodooLabs work. Any suggestions?

So im trying to run OS X on my system. I have the Rampage Formula, and all the boot-132.iso's i have tried on the website dont work, the only boot iso that has worked it the boot-kabyl-bumby.iso (dont remember where i got it). It gets me to the bootloader screen, in which case i hit esc, eject cd and put in mac os x v10.5.1 retail, wait for green light to go off, then hit enter. it brings me back to the bootloader page. im still looking and going onto my 3rd hour of searching. any ideas?

Asus Rampage Formula

Q9400

OCS Reaper DDR2 1066 4gb (2x2gb)

Nvidia Quadro 1400

160gb SATA2 HDD

Sony DVD+R/RW

What happened to Dismounted?

I've been a bit busy over the past week or two - I promise I'll get around to updating everything and answering questions. B)

So im trying to run OS X on my system. I have the Rampage Formula, and all the boot-132.iso's i have tried on the website dont work, the only boot iso that has worked it the boot-kabyl-bumby.iso (dont remember where i got it). It gets me to the bootloader screen, in which case i hit esc, eject cd and put in mac os x v10.5.1 retail, wait for green light to go off, then hit enter. it brings me back to the bootloader page. im still looking and going onto my 3rd hour of searching. any ideas?

Have you tried using the ISO included in my package? It should be straight-forward:

1. Burn the ISO.
  2. Boot into it.
  3. Eject the CD, and insert a retail OS X DVD.
  4. Hit enter.
  5. Hit enter again when you see a "Enter hexadecimal" prompt.

But now I still don't have any audio working. Does this really work with you guys? (You are using the seperate Supreme FX II sound card right (that came with the motherboard)?)

audio working with AnalogDevicesAD1988b.kext in EFI partition /Extra/Extensions

Asus Rampage Formula

Q9400

OCS Reaper DDR2 1066 4gb (2x2gb)

Nvidia Quadro 1400

160gb SATA2 HDD

Sony DVD+R/RW

i use this tutorial to get my dsdt.aml file and make a bootable usb and install image in it. i had to add my own video card EFI string i acquired from OSx86TOOLS to the com.apple.boot.plist. i think adding the nvkush.kext to the EXTRA folder might work also. i basically use the instructions from this thread and the other thread i mentioned earlier to make both my HDD and USB drive boot from EFI partition. so i think the other way you can go is through bootable usb as i never have to burn the boot-132.iso from the leopard folder.

Dismounted glad to see you are ok. I basically have generated a fresh DSDT from linux and Leopard 10.5.6 without DSDT override so my DSDT which are not influenced by your DSDT override in Snow. Both the Linux and Leopard 10.5.6 have the exact same freshly extracted DSDT.

I am having problems with orange icons and shutdown/restart maybe they are related with my freshly generated DSDT since none of the fixes are in place.

At first when I installed your DSDT I got a kernel panic after about a 1 minute. Then I updated to Chameleon RC3 now and then Netkas 10.3. The RC3 stopped the kernel panic.

Now I have to figure out why Your Rom version verus My rom version gives a different OperationRegion Address?

There are also address differences in the CPU0-3 sections of the OperationRegion Address which I have not listed here. Here is the one for now near the top of the DSDT file.

OperationRegion (STBL, SystemMemory, 0xCFF8E0D0, 0x0190) <<< Your DSDT

OperationRegion (STBL, SystemMemory, 0xCFF8E0D0, 0x01D2) <<<< Mine generated in Linux/OSX without DSDT Override.

I have someone helping me tweak a fresh vanilla DSDT generated without any override in place. I over looked the differences in your DSDT and my fresh one which was pointed out to me by the person helping me fix up my new DSDT.

What is even more confusing is your DSDT which I got working after RC3 and a freshly extracted DSDT with your DSDT in place works fine. I was told though that memory address difference is BAD!! I have not seen anything happen like kernel panic except the one I saw with my 7300 GT 256MB Graphics card. I got a kernel panic when I launched Chess. When I placed a New Graphics card in the 9800 GT 512MB that panic went away. So I don't think it was related to the OperationRegion Address difference?

So what this all comes down to is:

1) What DSDT extractor did you use initially

2) WHich OS did you extract it from and was there a DSDT already in place on that system you extracted it from?

3) Which Exact Motherboard do you have and which Bios version? I have the Asus Maximus Formula Special Edition. Just has ports for water cooling otherwise its identical to a MF non SE version.

If I still have some tweaking issues can I send my DSDT to you to see what exactly is missing or still needs tweaking. Is it just the USB fixes and the ICH9/10 Sata drive fixes that will fix the restart/shutdown/sleep/wake?

The person working on my DSDT had dought in that theory but said Quote:

"Maybe it has something to do with the ICH9 southbride and if you fake the ID to ICH10 then it works. But this is speculation. You have to try it out?"

So for the one he has completed with Bios version 1302, boots up, has Audio and Ethernet. Fixed some Mutex Warning message and some timing issue Millisecond wise that needed tweaking. That part I am totally lost on but have the information if you need it. I still have orange Icon, No Sleep/Wake or Restart/Shutdown Functioning which was working with your Initial DSDT overide that I re-extracted in in Snow.

I just updated to Bios 1403 which came out 9/22/2009 over a week ago and he is tweaking a fresh DSDT based off a freshly extracted DSDT from Ubuntu 9.04 Live CD I sent to him.

I am having problems with orange icons and shutdown/restart maybe they are related with my freshly generated DSDT since none of the fixes are in place.

The orange icons are fixed with the SATA DSDT patch. It can also be fixed by using AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext. Obviously, the DSDT patch is "preferred".

Now I have to figure out why Your Rom version verus My rom version gives a different OperationRegion Address?

Different BIOSes, different board revisions, etc. can all affect addresses. That's why I recommend you patch your own DSDT.

So what this all comes down to is:

1) What DSDT extractor did you use initially

2) WHich OS did you extract it from and was there a DSDT already in place on that system you extracted it from?

3) Which Exact Motherboard do you have and which Bios version? I have the Asus Maximus Formula Special Edition. Just has ports for water cooling otherwise its identical to a MF non SE version.

1. I actually don't remember which one I used initially. However, I know that DSDTSE worked for me, and produced the same result as DSDT Patcher, etc.

2. Leopard, it was booted off a boot-132 disk (i.e. no DSDT loading).

3. Mine is the same board, however, I have loaded a Rampage Formula BIOS onto it (0803). I'm an overclocker, you see. :(

Is it just the USB fixes and the ICH9/10 Sata drive fixes that will fix the restart/shutdown/sleep/wake?

I know my system wouldn't sleep properly without the USB patches.

Dismounted, Can you save your BIOS Profile and upload it here. You had no problem flashing a Rampage Formula BIOS onto the Maximus Formula?

I want to try that, then use your profile then boot your DSDT. Just curious if you would not mind?

Bios 0902 is out. When I updated my Bios from 1302 to 1403 and extracted a fresh DSDT there were no differences as I suspect there will be none with the Rampage.

I am serious I really would like to try.

MAIN REASON:

The DSDT for my Motherboard breaks shutdown/restart. Everything else works. With your DSDT everything works PERIOD!!

I cannot figure out why?

Here is my DSDT. maybe you can see why?

EDITED:

It won't accept the Bios because it said Wrong BIOS ID. Using EZ flash. Do I need to Hex Edit the Rom and if so what did you edit to make it work?

Thanks

EDITED AGAIN:

Found out the way you did it with some Googling. XtremeSystems.org forum and ran the AFUDOS script at the DOS prompt and it worked.

Now I have the 0803. Anyway I can get your profile to test a few things?

That OperationRegion Difference has nothing to do with the ROm Bios at all. Its the tweaking you did that changed it so I just wanted to put those values in or get your profile to I can verify that.

Will you be updating to the New Bios 0902 anytime Soon? Even if you do I believe when you generate a Fresh DSDT from it you get the same exact DSDT. At least I did when I updated Maximus Formula 1302 to 1403.

Thanks

EDITED ONCE MORE 10-4-09

Dismounted I went ahead and Converted my Maximus to a Rampage BIOS. I also extracted a fresh dsdt.aml on a non DSDT overide system either linux or leopard 10.5.5

I noticed from your DSDT file you got rid of the Mutex and T_0 T_1 warnings. What did you do to get rid of them? The FGET, VGET and TGET warnings are still there but those others you got rid of. Just wondering if you fixed the script to get rid of them or if you had someone help you fix them. here is the Log of the warnings.

Please have a look and let me know what I need to do to fix the T_O and T_1 erros. I am wondering if I am getting those because my profile is different from yours? I am using the Q-Fan Performance and In Tweaker I just manually changed Dram VOltage to 2.10 and that is it. I wonder if that is why I am getting those Warnings? I will try to set to auto and extract again but I don't think its that. That is why I need your profile. You can save it to a flash drive and attack please?

Here is my Log for Rampage conversation BIOS 0803. I get the same erros with Maximus 1302 as well. So maybe its my profile?

EDITED for the LAST TIME:

You must have used Fassl GUI DSDT Patcher because that gets rid of the Mutex and _T_0 and _T_1 warnings and leaves me with a DSDT.aml as yours is with a few warnings like FGET, VGET nad TGET warning only. The evOsx86(DSDTSE) editor/compiler nor windows based Koalala Patcher 2.0 Beta 5 fixes the _T_0 and Mutex Warnings

AserBLN_PLUS_Dismounted_SATA_HACK.dsl.zip

Rampage_0803.txt

• 1 month later...

Dismounted, I'm happy to see that you used a Rampage conversion on your maximus and got it to work, because that's what I have so I have hope that I can get it to work. However, I am completely unable to boot after the install. I have my own DSDT, a minimal amount of kexts, and only necessary BIOS features turned on. However, my boot always hangs when it tries to initalize powermanagement, and then it says "timed out" and boot doesn't progress past that. What did you do for your power management? Did you turn it off, or leave it as is?

Because as far as I know, the rampage formula has issues with c-states, as that feature is not in the BIOS.

If you could please post your BIOS settings, that would really help me a lot. I'm on BIOS 0403 BTW, although I can upgrade if needed. Thanks!

Dismounted, I'm happy to see that you used a Rampage conversion on your maximus and got it to work, because that's what I have so I have hope that I can get it to work. However, I am completely unable to boot after the install. I have my own DSDT, a minimal amount of kexts, and only necessary BIOS features turned on. However, my boot always hangs when it tries to initalize powermanagement, and then it says "timed out" and boot doesn't progress past that. What did you do for your power management? Did you turn it off, or leave it as is?

Because as far as I know, the rampage formula has issues with c-states, as that feature is not in the BIOS.

If you could please post your BIOS settings, that would really help me a lot. I'm on BIOS 0403 BTW, although I can upgrade if needed. Thanks!

bump