Snow Leopard 10.6 Bad Axe 2 Guide..

Logicpro9_user

47 posts in this topic

got the right boot file for SL?

I think so, I used this way of doing it

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185823

But it didnt work.. I done it about 6 times, made sure everything was done 100% and get KPs when booting. weird!

Just wanted to know if anyway has SL running on their Bad Axe 2 and how they done it.

• 1 month later...
Anyone know of the best way to install with a guide?

I now understand that the KP i get when trying to boot from my DVD install partition is caused by AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext from IOATAFamily.kext

Does anyone have any more info regarding the best way to install on a bad axe 2?

Did you ever find a good guide for installing Snow on a Bad Axe 2 ?

Thanks

My advice is to give it up. I tried every method under the sun to get SL working 100% on my BadAxe2 and I'm convinced it cannot be done. Especially the 64-bit kernel.

BA2's still one of the best boards for running Leopard 10.5, as everything works either OOB or with a simple kext added. But take it from me, forget SL on this board. Get a newer Gigabyte like the UD3P and enjoy immediate, stress-free, 100% perfect 64-bit SL.

Tomorrow Weaksauce is releasing his UD3P installation package for SL and I can tell you as a beta tester that it makes installing vanilla retail 64-bit SL on this board almost too easy.

Hi Guys,

I have 10.5.8 rock solid on my system, not I am trying 10.6 I have tried many ways to do it on this forum but all give KPs the 1st second I boot to install.

Does anyone have any tried and tested ways to install 10.6 on a bad axe 2 system?

I used the method below. I used a separate hard disk. All the kexts I needed to get SL working were present in the first post, although a few have been changed/updated since the install. Important points were repairing permissions at the right time and having a running Leopard system to use to resolve problems as they arose. I haven't used the EFI partition to boot.

The difference with SL is that the people who used dists to set up Leopard are expecting the same for SL. I think the momentum has moved to using retail installs to overcome issues with updates later on, so it's more of the case of fighting through the problems as you go until you pop out in the sunshine.

All the problems that you will meet installing on a BA2 have been overcome and documented by someone or another around here. The only issue I have, which is the same as the other largely successful BA2 SL convertees, is {censored} sound after sleep. I use a Griffin iMic to get round that. I can switch between 32 and 64 bit running without issue now after updating a few of the original extra kexts. I have 10.5 of PC EFI from Netkas, after starting with 10.1 and Chameleon RC1 I think. The original post has been updated to use Chameleon R3 since I did my install.

SL is stable, fast (the SSD helps), and surprising few of the things I ran on Leopard needed updates to run on SL. I have the Parallels 5 beta running with a few minor issues, although v4 worked fine. I was waiting for the ultimate solution to arrive, and I will probably redo the install when it's ready, cos I'm sure I've got stuff in the boot.plist that duplicates stuff in the dsts.aml, which I don't understand too well, and it will almost certainly fix the sound problem, but in the meantime, as they say in the McCain ad - It's all good!

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182227#

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Still waiting to hear the details of how you got SL running "100%" on the BadAxe2 when nobody else has been able to.

I now have it running 100% with DSDT! only using 2 kexts. Myself and ntsmkfob work on the DSDT.

1. Fakesmc

2.Gforce.kext (this will be removed soon)

All working 100% no problems at all! everything works, sleep, restart, shutdown, native speed stepping.

Its not all that hard to get it working 100%. My system is rock solid and i use it everyday for Audio work, making music. Never gave me any problems at all.

to install snow leo an bad axe 2:

Phase 1:

- get myhack final

- follow the instructions (means work with usb stick)

- install Snow Leo vanilla

- reboot your vanilla snow leo with usb stick

Phase 2: Reformatting the EFI System Partition.

- Open Terminal

- sudo -s (and type in your password)

- diskutil info / | grep Identifier - this tells you the values for diskXsY for '/', which is the currently-booted system. (If you're doing this on a disk other than the one you've booted from, you need to modify accordingly.)

- diskutil list - diskXs1 should be called EFI. this is the hidden EFI partition on your target drive.

- diskutil eraseVolume "HFS+" "EFI" /dev/diskXs1 - now, be *VERY* sure this is the correct drive. this will format the EFI partition as HFS+. (NB After erasing it will try to mount it, but will fail with "Could not mount disk0s1 with name after erase". Ignore this).

Phase 3:

- install myhack on EFI Partition

- you can use Extensions for DSDT with my DSDT, but you have to change DSDT to your Graphics or

- use just Extensions on your EFI part, but you have to delete the Graphics in the DSDT

- Make the disk bootable

- 1) ./fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX (NB: Ignore any fdisk: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory error)

- 2) f 1

- 3) w

- 4) q

- run pfix in terminal

- reboot and cross fingers

it is very important to install myhack on hidden EFi part, because you would otherwise have problems with time machine backups

as you can see, most of my guide is Munki's methode taken from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127330

Extensions_for_DSDT.zip

DSDT.aml.zip

Extensions.zip

@'elRey' date='Jul 9 2010, 11:44 AM' post='1507952']

to install snow leo an bad axe 2:

Your 3 Phases are great. I noted them in the knol here:

http://knol.google.com/k/george-anton/-/2y...32jt0v6/11#edit

Cheers and Props to you elRey.

This is the best and most explicit Snow Leopard installation on BadAxe2 to date.

Unfortunately is not enough. It is still too heavy to understand and follow by noobians like me and others.

Also, even if you are versed, you can do one mistake in al those steps to mess it up and then you will just wander for hours what you did wrong.

Is there any way that you guys can create, one script, one package for these Phases similar to Lifehacker's Guide?

Something like:

Step 1: Restore Snow Leopard on USB

Step 2: Install "The BadAxe2 Package on USB"

Step 3: Install Snow Leopard from USB

Let the script do all the work.

Peace!

Hi Georgiles,

I am sure me and elRey can put togther the "Only" guide to follow for the bad axe 2. Not sure if eLRey has the time?

I have a guide already for myself, I am sure I can add all the DSDT stuff to it.

Logicpro8_user

yes perfect

btw, what stepping is your q6600?

Im gonna have to get a better card that my 7300GS. Cant get it to work with DSDT, something up... The GeForce GTS 250 card seems nice but £$£$. Any others you know of working 100% from DSDT?

As far as stepping goes on my Q6660 I have it working but not sure if its the G0 version n the B3 stepping version... I hope its the G0 stepping Q6660....

How can I tell? CPU-Z?

@LogicPro8 & ElRey

I am sure me and elRey can put togther the "Only" guide to follow for the bad axe 2. Not sure if eLRey has the time?

Well guys, creating a simple installer would be such a noble gesture from you guys. Your time put into it will be well worth it.

I built my brother over seas a badaxe2 system Leopard based. I would be able to install Snow but he has limited knowledge dealing with the terminal and all that.

So you imagine what a great help wuld be for him to be able to install Snow "the simple way".

And I'm sure there are plenty of other BadAxe2 owners that need the same thing.

Im gonna have to get a better card that my 7300GS. Cant get it to work with DSDT, something up... The GeForce GTS 250 card seems nice but £$£$. Any others you know of working 100% from DSDT?

9800GTX+ won't work? Is fast. I use it with success for a while on my Gigabyte rig (see signature)

something like this $90 after $35 in rebate:

EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Promotion here

Thank You guys!

Logicpro8_user

yes perfect

btw, what stepping is your q6600?

I found out that I have G0 version of the Q6660 with 11 stepping with CPU-X

and Voodoomonitor reports

Speed Stepping working Lowest has been at 33C at x6 Stepping with 1.148V

I have 4 p-states.

Hi elRey

I followed your guide but no success.

I used a 8GB USB drive. It boots up to the Chameleon boot screen. When I choose install disk the gray apple logo appears in the white back ground for a split second then it Kernel Panics. What have I done wrong? Do I need to use pacifist to remove IOATAfamily kext?

I have a badaxe2 mobo with Bios loaded with optimal defaults.

Thank you for your help.

@ Georgiles and all others

I'm not a coder or something else, I'm just a normal user, who is happy to have OSX and Logic to make my Musik.

All I know results of a lot time and lot of try and error and a lot of reading the forums.

So there is no way that i can make a script wich will install just by one click.

I started with the release of JaS 10.4.7, i cant remember if it is 2 or 3 years ago.

I only can give you the way i have it done.

I can take a look if I can find the Ultimate Leopard.iso from buildsmart, maybe it is a little bit easyer to use.

@ Logicpro8_user

The GeForce 9800 GTX Video Card should be a good choice.

@ kalabala

it can not be the IOATAfamily.kext.

What GPU do you use?

Link for the Ultimate Bad Axe CD: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QCMN9QIP

Burn the dmg to cd

Boot the CD, select PrePost, at the installer select the drive you wish to activate with EFI booting, when the installer is done the drive is ready for use that's about as easy as it gets.

From the new boot loader you can boot the retail DVD by pressing a function key to perform the installation so no swap disk is required, once the installation has been completed and before you configure this new installation you boot the CD and install the audio driver and sound is activated so when you boot the HD to complete the installation process you can listen to the music.

After this installation your EFI-Part should be activated.

Now you install myhack to your EFI-Part change the kext's and DSDT you need to change run pfix in terminal and reboot.

@ kalabala

try the ultimate bad axe cd

I dont know what panics on your machine without the complete specs

@ kalabala

try the ultimate bad axe cd

I dont know what panics on your machine without the complete specs

Sorry for my ignorance;

XBX2 mobo, Q6600 CPU, Geforce 9400GT, 4 SATA HDDs, 1 IDE HDD and 1 IDE CDROM. I also hook up a TASCAM FW-1082 and a ProFire 26/26 for Logic Pro use.

I saw some where that Snowl Leopard will not boot with IDE devices. So I tried taking all my IDE devices off. Today I tried Buildsmart's CD with no luck. After doing the Pre/Post Install on the drive I booted in to snowleopard and in about a second screen goes black and monitor sleeps. Capslock light remain on.

for $25 apparently you can get the latest Buildsmart Ultimate CD after proving purchase of SL. That doesn't sound right, does it? There is serious breeches of privacy there; people post their bills with names and addresses to prove the purchase of SL to bofors. If bofors is Steve Jobs he gonna know the identity of all the donators :)