[Guide] 10.6 Snow Leopard on GA-EP45-DQ6

genzai

44 posts in this topic

Hello again.

I did follow the "lifehackers" guide. Not very difficult :-) osx 10.6.1 up and running in two hours.

But i made a copy of my "old" installation on an exstern drive....luckily, because in SL I could not have my Fire wire ports or wireless (D-link 650 wireless) work at all.

To bad since I use FW souncard and mixer.

So now back to 10-5-8 and my EFI-X dongle :-)

Hello again.

I did follow the "lifehackers" guide. Not very difficult :-) osx 10.6.1 up and running in two hours.

But i made a copy of my "old" installation on an exstern drive....luckily, because in SL I could not have my Fire wire ports or wireless (D-link 650 wireless) work at all.

To bad since I use FW souncard and mixer.

So now back to 10-5-8 and my EFI-X dongle :-)

Something is wrong with your settings then. I have no problem using firewire in SL on the DQ6. You should try booting in 32bit kernel mode ( type "arch=i386" without quotes at the chameleon boot screen). If it is still not working, try another install method, make sure your using the DSDT file from this thread, etc.

/g

• 3 weeks later...
Something is wrong with your settings then. I have no problem using firewire in SL on the DQ6. You should try booting in 32bit kernel mode ( type "arch=i386" without quotes at the chameleon boot screen). If it is still not working, try another install method, make sure your using the DSDT file from this thread, etc.

/g

Thanks Genzai. I have tried without luck. I will add my hardware as I am am not very experiensed with ktext etc. I would be happy if you could have a look and see if some of my hardware is not compatible.

I mixed this installer, Chameleon 2 RC3 r658 installer with Netkas boot 10.5. Worked perfect for me!

Get it here -but I do not how long the link will work... And you fiddle with this on your own, Im not responsible :angel:

Thanks, I have downloaded it, and will try it soon. Can I ask about your hardware combination and bios version (I use beta 13D)?

Bios version beta 13D - Boot 10.5 - nVidia 8800GTS 640mb - dual screen - 8gb ram of ? brand. My system was very unstable until I removed all the "invisible" Chameleon kext and only left one set of newer kext in the "visible" Extra folder.

I can easily boot in 64bit mode, but then no network - the rest works fine. Anybody seen 64bit drivers for the 8111c network chip? No more crashes under heavy network load when using the Realtek R1000 8168/8111 64 bit drivers from kexts.com Now running 100% stable in 64 bit mode

• 2 weeks later...

Installed using the guide and the RC3 from a few posts back and all is working well. Also have 10.5.7 on another hard drive that was inadvertently updated to 10.5.8 that now crashes when booting. Using the DQ6 motherboard. Does anyone know what I have to do to rescue that disk to functionality again? I do have another box with the same motherboard running 10.5.7. I know it has something to do with the powermanagement.kext or something just not sure of the details. Need to be pointed in the right direction.

• 3 weeks later...

I am also having trouble getting my firewire going from this guide. I'm running F12 bios. No windows install to flash it. :)

Everything runs fine under EMPIRE EFI boot disc. I'm going to have to figure out how I can imitate that boot setup on my EFI partition. Any ideas?

Currently on 10.6.2

EP45-DQ6 F12a

Q9550 Intel Core 2 Quad

WMP600N wifi card (worked under 10.5.7 and works under 10.6.2 when boot from Empire EFI.)

Disabled onboard audio (using MOTU Traveler through firewire - again - works under Empire EFI.)

OK guys, I updated my BIOS by preparing a flash drive on a PC and then followed this guide and everything seems to be working perfectly. I would like to add that Empire EFI boot disk was a great tool for me during the upgrade to Sno Leo.

The only thing left.... My EFI partition keeps showing up on my desktop when I reboot. I need to figure out how to hide it by default.

• 2 weeks later...
Anybody having this issue? My CPU Fan will randomly increase in speed for about 30 seconds and then go back down to idle. I have monitored my CPU in activity monitor and it seems to do this even under very little to no CPU usage.

I am fine with 10.6.2 and all programs is fine.. I was running the EFI-X thing, but had problems with dualboot, so I installed all the bootloaders there is without adding one single k-text or whatever......I do not know what happened, but everything is fine, running better than ever ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Anybody having this issue? My CPU Fan will randomly increase in speed for about 30 seconds and then go back down to idle. I have monitored my CPU in activity monitor and it seems to do this even under very little to no CPU usage.

I am having the exact same issue as well. I have my system running for over 6 months now and I did not follow this guide so it seems to be an issue with either a kext or something. Or maybe even BIOS settings? Anyone have a fix for this?

• 11 months later...

This thread hasn't been touched in sometime but I am just trying to get an install going for 10.6.3 and having a hell of a time.. For starters, the boot.iso i downloaded from here doesn't read in my pc (tried 2 different drives) and then if I get it to boot with another loader, I am getting the firewire issues others were having and a ton of other issues (the voodoo files lister here seem to load VERY slow from startup and then crash, etc.... Does anyone have this running on 10.6.3 or greater and with vanilla kernel?? If so, can someone please touch up this guide? I am really anxious to get this running on this PC as I just finished building it (father life..)

Thanks for the time and consideration.

TVO

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello,

I have a Razer Copperhead mouse and a Wave Logitech keyboard.

Everything works fine for boot.iso, I then insert Mac OS X DVD, it loads and I get the screen in which I need to choose my language.

But the cursor won't move! And if I hit tabulation still nothing...

Any help to activate detection of these peripherals?

Thanks,

• 4 years later...