[GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard Install on eeepc 901

• Please log in to reply
288 replies to this topic

Poll: Guide Works (80 member(s) have cast votes)

Is this guide working on your eeepc 901?

1. Yes. Perfectly. I'm in eeepc Nirvana. (50 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

2. Yes, but I had to install additional drivers. (13 votes [16.25%])

Percentage of vote: 16.25%

3. No (17 votes [21.25%])

Percentage of vote: 21.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

moly82

moly82

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Great to hear that my setup works on yours! I know it isn't quite perfect yet; but we are getting closer :-)

Are you sure it's "hanging"? I get those messages too, as it is watching for all the pid (processes) to close before actually shutting down; but mine ALWAYS shuts down successfully. It sometimes just takes a bit.

yes I confirm it does shutdown and reboot, but it takes a lot, before also shutdown was almost istantly (about 5 seconds and no such messages at all..)

I really don't know what is causing these problems, if I discover something I'll let you know, otherwise I'm afraid I'll have to go back to my previous config.. :P (in this case I hope I will remember how to get to my previous status.. ;) :P )

bye!!

MK500

MK500

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:All things technology.

yes I confirm it does shutdown and reboot, but it takes a lot, before also shutdown was almost istantly (about 5 seconds and no such messages at all..)

I really don't know what is causing these problems, if I discover something I'll let you know, otherwise I'm afraid I'll have to go back to my previous config.. :) (in this case I hope I will remember how to get to my previous status.. :) :P )

bye!!

Don't give up! Help me find the source of the slowdown :-)

I'm sure it's something simple.

MK500

MK500

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 80 posts
Note: I have added instructions to the [GUIDE] for building your own DSDT. This allows you to fix the backlight after sleep issue; and there are other modifications you can also make after understanding this process. Let me know if the instructions make sense.

moly82

moly82

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
there are other very useful fixes you can apply to the dsdt.aml file (power button fix so that after pressing it the reboot/shutdown dialog appear, automatical sleep when closing the lid so you don't need anymore the clamshelldisplay kext etc)
I will post the link to the fixes tonight as I have it at home..

bye!

MK500

MK500

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 80 posts

there are other very useful fixes you can apply to the dsdt.aml file (power button fix so that after pressing it the reboot/shutdown dialog appear, automatical sleep when closing the lid so you don't need anymore the clamshelldisplay kext etc)
I will post the link to the fixes tonight as I have it at home..

bye!

I think I put the DSDT link (Infinitemac; right?) in the zip. I wasn't sure if I could post it here; as some links get rejected.

On the "waiting for DSMOS" issue....my latest thought is it might be the bluetooth; as I saw another post about slowdown at boot due to not fully recognized bluetooth. There should be a modification somewhere to make it fully recognize our bluetooth (so you can turn it off; for example)....I wonder if this pause goes away if we fix this. Anyone have those instructions handy?

moly82

moly82

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

I think I put the DSDT link (Infinitemac; right?) in the zip. I wasn't sure if I could post it here; as some links get rejected.

On the "waiting for DSMOS" issue....my latest thought is it might be the bluetooth; as I saw another post about slowdown at boot due to not fully recognized bluetooth. There should be a modification somewhere to make it fully recognize our bluetooth (so you can turn it off; for example)....I wonder if this pause goes away if we fix this. Anyone have those instructions handy?

no I'm almost sure it is not the bluetooth.. I forgot to tell you but I'am already using the kext you are speaking of that properly recognizes our bt card so you can turn it off (if you need it I can send it to you tonight so you can update your zip file :( )

bye!

MK500

MK500

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 80 posts

no I'm almost sure it is not the bluetooth.. I forgot to tell you but I'am already using the kext you are speaking of that properly recognizes our bt card so you can turn it off (if you need it I can send it to you tonight so you can update your zip file :( )

bye!

I fixed it!

If you are experiencing slow boot time; where you see message in verbose mode "Waiting for DSMOS..."; simply open your Terminal and do the following:

sudo chown root:admin / <return>

The first restart after doing this will be very slow (extra 2 minutes). After that, it should be super fast. My system now boots in 30 seconds to login screen, 3 seconds to shut down. I have made a change to the [GUIDE] to fix this problem; so it should not happen for new users.

moly82

moly82

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

I fixed it!

If you are experiencing slow boot time; where you see message in verbose mode "Waiting for DSMOS..."; simply open your Terminal and do the following:

sudo chown root:admin / <return>

The first restart after doing this will be very slow (extra 2 minutes). After that, it should be super fast. My system now boots in 30 seconds to login screen, 3 seconds to shut down. I have made a change to the [GUIDE] to fix this problem; so it should not happen for new users.

trying tonight.. if you really did it you are simply the best! :D thank you!!

ps: where did you find the solution? :D
pps: you installed SL on the stock SSD card right? the second one which is 8GB? or you did swap it with a faster Runcore or supertalent one? because I have always known the second SSD is much slower than the first but if you get those timings it is perfect!!
ppps: yes exactly the link was from infinitemac, you could just post the content and write the link to the site, I have seen that stuff in many places :D

moly82

moly82

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

ps: where did you find the solution? :)
pps: you installed SL on the stock SSD card right? the second one which is 8GB? or you did swap it with a faster Runcore or supertalent one? because I have always known the second SSD is much slower than the first but if you get those timings it is perfect!!
ppps: yes exactly the link was from infinitemac, you could just post the content and write the link to the site, I have seen that stuff in many places :)

I confirm it works!! thanks a lot!! :)

I would say everything works 100% but I am still experiencing just some delays during shutdown sometimes, but it could be just temporary anyway it is not a big problem at all..

ciao and thanks again for your great work :)

richarda

richarda

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
Wahouuuuu !
I did it all and everything works like a charm.

EXCEPT: Microphone. Not sure but Skype sees 2 Mics and no one seems to work. Any test on other eee901 are welcome.

Richard

dmbardal

dmbardal

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
ooh. finally!
I got an 1000HE, so Im giving this a go first thing in the morning :-)

cpress

cpress

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Web Development in PHP/MySQL. Linux, Mac, Hackintosh, iPhone jb.

I cleared the kext cache per your instructions. Still no luck.

Any Suggestions?

MK500

MK500

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 80 posts

ps: where did you find the solution? :)

I noticed something about kexd not being able to write to root in the system log. Using Terminal ls -lash, I compared root on my eeepc to my desktop hackintosh. I noticed the owner:group was different for .. and so I changed it. I tried rebooting and it took like 2 minutes at "Waiting for DSMOS..."; so I was thinking "Great! I made it WORSE!!", but then on the next boot it just totally skipped over that part and was wicked fast. I tested this on a clean build; and found the same thing. This is after about 20 hours of just testing all kinds of kext combinations; so I was a bit surprised it was just a permissions issue (hits head on wall). I told you it was something simple ;-)

Unfortunately I don't have the internal 8GB installed right now. I have a Super Talent 32. Looking at the tests here: jkkmobile speed tests, the regular 8GB doesn't seem too horrible. Depending on the model you end up with, it looks like around average 10MB writes and 20MB reads. Since we do a lot more reading than writing; that should be usable. Obviously it's insanely fast on mine; but it's kind of overkill....to be honest. I was just lucky to be able to trade someone for this 32GB SSD. Can someone report on their boot time using the ASUS 8GB SSD? I'm betting around 40 seconds or so.

ppps: yes exactly the link was from infinitemac, you could just post the content and write the link to the site, I have seen that stuff in many places :)

Great; I'll add the link to the DSDT section of the [GUIDE]

Any Suggestions?

For the others that tried hybrid solutions; the only thing that worked was to start over using my guide steps exactly. So that's my only recommendation. If you have a spare USB hard drive or 8GB or greater USB thumb drive; you can test everything without wiping out what you already have on your machine.

Sorry I don't have a simpler idea. If I think of anything else to try; I'll let you know.

richarda

richarda

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Wahouuuuu !
I did it all and everything works like a charm.

EXCEPT: Microphone. Not sure but Skype sees 2 Mics and no one seems to work. Any test on other eee901 are welcome.

Richard

Got the mic working !
Only the first mic works and you have to go in the VooodooHDA pref pane in the speaker section and set the recording level to a non-zero value.....

My last "problem" my SD card that is seen as wrongly ejected each time I wake from sleep.
I believe I have to mess with the DSDT file probably in the HPET section...any luck anybody ?
[Edit] No, this is not the HPET section that fixed the SD card. I have no more lead. Any help welcome.

Executivul

Executivul

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello all,
I've read the whole topic, followed the guide step by step except the clearing of kext cache which i ommited :(, the "host" was a pcwiz vmware leopard, the host a Linux 901 2b ram, the usb drive WD Passport 80gb.
IT WORKS!!! Thank you so much!
It's the first Leopard which works oob :(

Questions:
1. is it possible to use the function keys for volume? DSDT.aml maybe? I want no more chud or 3rd party apps like in the eeemac.journey tutorial for 10.5, i've not had the time to install voodoo control panel
2. does the Ralink rt2860 leopard driver work on 10.6 too or where can i find a driver?

boot time is about 30-40 sec.
Thanks again

moly82

moly82

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Hello all,
I've read the whole topic, followed the guide step by step except the clearing of kext cache which i ommited :( , the "host" was a pcwiz vmware leopard, the host a Linux 901 2b ram, the usb drive WD Passport 80gb.
IT WORKS!!! Thank you so much!
It's the first Leopard which works oob :)

Questions:
1. is it possible to use the function keys for volume? DSDT.aml maybe? I want no more chud or 3rd party apps like in the eeemac.journey tutorial for 10.5, i've not had the time to install voodoo control panel
2. does the Ralink rt2860 leopard driver work on 10.6 too or where can i find a driver?

boot time is about 30-40 sec.
Thanks again

for the keys I am using spark.. not a big deal I like it.. by the way if you don't want 3rd party apps I know for the eee 1000 exists a kext (ACPI4ASUS.kext) don't know if it can be used or modified to suit the eeepc 901 also..

bye

Marius M.

Marius M.

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

This guide modified for a EEE PC 1000he

Here's my experience with the EEE PC 1000he:

1) Desktop hackintosh or real mac for setup
2) USB hard drive that you are OK erasing
3) Retail Snow Leopard DVD or image of it
4) ASUS eeepc 901
5) Files here: [url="http://"http://www.sendspace.com/file/g3g20h""]EEE PC 1000he Files[/url] (rev.2, forgot about VoodooHDA)

Getting Started:
1) There's No Step One!
2) Connect the USB hard drive to your desktop machine and Partition the drive. One partition GUID (let's call it "OSX").
3) Install Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658 onto the USB hard drive. Just install Chameleon 2.0 RC3 following the directions in doc -> readme. There are basically only three command lines you will need to enter to install, as you will see in the doc.

NOTE: If you have never installed Chameleon RC3 before; now is a good time to test. You should be able to connect the drive to your eeepc 901 and hit esc at boot to boot off the drive. You should get the Chameleon boot loader. If you don't; go back and figure out what you did wrong. If it looks good, connect your USB drive back to your desktop and continue with your install.

4) Either insert your retail Snow Leopard DVD or mount your image now.
5) Finder -> Go Menu -> Go To Folder
/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages
double click OSInstall.mpkg
Follow the Menus to install Snow Leopard onto OSX. I de-selected the printers to save space and selected everything else. You may want to deselect everything to save even more.
6) Turn on owners so permissions transfer correctly:

sudo /usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/OSX
7) Place the Extra folder (from included zip in EEE PC 901 files) in the root of OSX, also put the dsdt.aml file in there
8) Copy all the Extensions (from the included zip) into /Volumes/OSX/System/Library/Extensions/
9) Repair Permissions

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/OSX/System/Library/Extensionssudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/OSX/Extrasudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/OSX/System/Library/Extensions
10) Remove kext cache

sudo rm -rf /Volumes/OSX/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext
11) Make sure your eeepc is connected to Power for the first boot. Boot up the eeepc from this USB hard drive and go through the normal OS X Welcome stuff and set up your user. When you power up your eeepc 901 with the USB drive connected, you will want to press Esc key until the boot option menu shows up. This will allow you to select your USB drive to boot off of it.
12) After installation; you should run Repair Permissions from Disk Utility. You can also improve your sound quality by installing the VoodooHDA prefpane, which is included in the PrefPane folder. Just double click to install for all users.

What works Now:
  • Video (1024x600), Video Playback, etc.
  • Webcam (Photo Booth and iChat) - XP version only (Linux version used different webcam; and we don't have drivers) (I got the XP version...)
  • Sound
  • Wifi (all models have the same card, at least in the US. I heard Europe got the Broadcom chip)
  • Trackpad (plus two finger scroll, three finger right click, double-tap drag)
  • Keyboard
  • Bluetooth
  • Battery Display
  • Processor on-the-fly Speed Reduction (for increased battery life)
  • Hardware buttons control backlight (but no on-screen indicator)
  • Shutdown
  • Restart
  • Ethernet
  • Time Machine

Things To Fix:
  • Brightness automatic on wake
    The solution is available; but it's cumbersome. It involves installing CHUD and a couple other programs. I prefer just hitting the brightness key. Creating your own DSDT.aml is probably the best solution for this.
  • Boot is slowed by 60 second at
    Waiting for DSMOS...
    This happens every time; I'm assuming if we create a custom DSDT this will go away? - This happened the first boot for me, after that it boots like normal
  • Sleep: Any form will lock up the computer.

Once your system is working to your liking; just copy it over to your internal HDD drive. Partition your HDD just like the hard drive, and Install Chameleon 2.0 RC3 on your HDD. Then just use SuperDuper! to clone your hard drive over to your SSD. You can now boot off your internal HDD!

thanks! ;)

but.. which kexts should is use for the battery and the microfone?

btw.. the original wlan card works perfect without installing an extra kext :)

dmbardal

dmbardal

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
So. I've been giving this a go since 11AM today on my Eee 1000HE.
So far I have encountered alot of problems, but I am getting there.

Using the 901 Kext ONLY doesnt work.
But the 1000HE Kexts that Branhower posted (those are from the 1008HA Guide I suppose. I havent compared, but they seem to be the same.)
My problem now is that I HAVE to use an USB-Stick or another HDD to boot my partition.. Wich is annoying.
I dont know why, but when I try to use the Chameleon on my SL partition, I get an KP.
It also says that its RC2, but it is RC3. I installed it myself.
Using a custom RC3 installer fails every time tho.

I now tried to install with the RC3 installer, and onto the EFI partition. But that failed Im afraid.
Now my boot is stuck on "ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out"

Any ideas?
I might be giving it another go, and preinstalling RC3 with the custom installer. That worked for my Ext. HDD.
But I dont want to boot my Ext. HDD :-)

In advance. thanks

Executivul

Executivul

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
So for the volume keys I'll use spark, ok.
Problem(s):
-I have no bluetooth... (about this mac, detailed, bluetooth: no hardware detected)
-if I get bluetooth to work where can I find the pairing info? I have a Microsoft 5000 bt mouse and pairing to snow and back to xp 2-3 times/day it's a bit annoying so maybe I can manually add the pairing key from osx to the xp's registry.

LE: right now the battery is at 62% and i get 2:10 estimated running time, that is about 3hours on a full battery which is half than xp (6hr with the passport connected)

Doraemon

Doraemon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
Has anyone had any luck with the WiFi chipset in the 900HA?

Atheros AR5007EG
PCI ID: 168c:001c[1a3b:1026]
IRQ: 10
Module: ath5k

I have Snow Leopard installed. It boots, albeit slow, the sound output works, and seemingly the input as well. (Actually sound input isn't working correctly: All static.) Graphics are displaying properly with acceleration. My remaining problem is WiFi. Also Ethernet seems to work and then not. I'm far more concerned about WLAN though. ;D

Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy