[GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard Install on eeepc 901

• Please log in to reply
288 replies to this topic

Poll: Guide Works (80 member(s) have cast votes)

Is this guide working on your eeepc 901?

1. Yes. Perfectly. I'm in eeepc Nirvana. (50 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

2. Yes, but I had to install additional drivers. (13 votes [16.25%])

Percentage of vote: 16.25%

3. No (17 votes [21.25%])

Percentage of vote: 21.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

demerzel

demerzel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi,
I have a Asus EeePC 900 and I would like to install Snow Leopard. I have everything ready to install but I wonder whether if the BIOS update in the first message will work for 900 too. It says that it is for 901, but I have a 900. Anyone has any idea on this?
Also, this tutorial applies for the 900 too, right?

Thanks.

Firstly, no the BIOS will not be ok. Never load BIOS or firmware that is not for your model pc. Chances are you'll brick it unless the hardware is very similar. 900 to 901 is similar, but do you really want to risk it?

My advice is NO, do not use the 901 BIOS on your 900.

If your 900 has a 900mhz celeron processor, then no this guide is not applicable.

If you have an Atom 1.6 Ghz processor, then you should be able to do it, with a few tweaks and changes to this guide. I have successfully installed to a 904HA, but had to use a couple of kexts for the 1000HE.

Good luck!

ps - i am using STANDARD ASUS BIOS on both of my hack's, not the modded one available in this guide. The 904HA is running 1803 and my 901 is running 2103, both downloaded straight from ASUS.

SimpleData

SimpleData

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,
Thank you for your answer. I bought it from eBay-like online auction website for 180$ and in the specs page of the auction, the seller states the processor as Intel Atom but afaik 900 comes with 900MHz Celeron. I will take a look at it over CPU-z when the product arrives. If it is not Atom, I will send it back.

If it is not Atom, is it possible to use Snow Leopard without a problem? I guess KP80526NY900128 Celeron 900MHz has the ability to run SSE3 instructions.

demerzel

demerzel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi,
Thank you for your answer. I bought it from eBay-like online auction website for 180$ and in the specs page of the auction, the seller states the processor as Intel Atom but afaik 900 comes with 900MHz Celeron. I will take a look at it over CPU-z when the product arrives. If it is not Atom, I will send it back.

If it is not Atom, is it possible to use Snow Leopard without a problem? I guess KP80526NY900128 Celeron 900MHz has the ability to run SSE3 instructions.

Hi.. Yeah, if it 'aint an atom, send it back. Life is too short for sub-1Ghz CPU's!

The issue with the 900Mhz Celeron is apparently one of timing. I haven't even attempted it on a 900 (it would be too slow and gutless, even if it worked) but from everything i have heard, there is an inherent timing issue with those processors and OS X. Do a search and you'll find specific info..

SimpleData

SimpleData

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I recieved the Eee PC and it turns out that it has a Celeron M 353 processor, which is not capable of understanding SSE3 instructions. Therefore, I will return it and buy another netbook. Which netbook do you suggest?

demerzel

demerzel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I recieved the Eee PC and it turns out that it has a Celeron M 353 processor, which is not capable of understanding SSE3 instructions. Therefore, I will return it and buy another netbook. Which netbook do you suggest?

Well, the 901 of course!! But good luck getting your hands on one.. Most owners know that there isn't anything on the market similar, even considering the plethora of netbooks out there. I love the 9" form, and i love that it is all SSD.

But I have a friend with a 1008, and he loves it. It also has the N280 1.66 Ghz Atom, for a tad more grunt. So, choose away, but if you plan on putting OS X on it, just make sure that someone else has done it so you know it works.

Good luck bro...

moly82

moly82

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
just to inform you that I switched to Hazard 10.6.2.. you maybe lose the advantages of using a retail version, even if I wouldn't know what exactly, but the install is much much easier.. partitions, no clonings, no swaps etc just boot the eeepc with the DVD and install with the options:

Chameleon RC3 PC 10.5
Voodoo Battery
Voodoo Monitor
Voodoo Power
PS2

then to get everything to work you just need to install the video (AppleIntelGMA950-AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer-Natit), audio, ethernet, open/halt/restart and bluetooth kexts provided in this thread..

ps: in the installer is present a GMA950 option.. it doesn't work here so don't install any graphic drivers during the installation but install them later along with the other above-mentioned kexts

pps: the installer comes also with a newer voodoohda kext, but it seems it works worse than the old one here.. you can always hear a hateful background sound unless you go to the voodoo pref panel and decrease the volume in one channel (don't remember exactly the name).. but you have to do that everytime you reboot the system.. :

bye!

gopowergoh

gopowergoh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have sl running on my 901 with runcore. Voodoohda works but the settings reset after sleep... Does anyone have a solution to this? I have been trying to run voodoohdahelper with sleepwatcher but I can't get it to work.. If anyone has any thoughts I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

richarda

richarda

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
Hello all,

I was so successful using this guide back in October last year that I bought myself of eBay a used eee901GO in order to enjoy the 3G goodness.

First things first, it's time for me to give back. So, after a little search, I found the driver and software to use on 10.6 to run the Huawei EM770 (the 901GO built-in 3G modem). It can be downloaded from here:

http://www.huaweidev.../...74&treeId=0

Also, if you purchased (like me) your GO with a SIM lock to a carrier, you can SIM unlock it (Windows XP only) using the software here: http://downloads.k0k...php?dir=Huawei/

Happy ?

OK, now my problems/questions:

On my new GO, I have XP installed on the SSD and SL on a SD card. The SD card is a bit slow but it's OK.

My problem: whenever I go to sleep and wake-up from sleep, I guess the SD card (my "boot drive") gets brutally ejected and.....well, it's bad.

My question: is there any DSDT mod that would allow my SD card to stay mounted (powered maybe) during all the cycle wake-sleep-wake ?

Also, in that setting, the boot booster on the eee is disabled (no big deal but if someone knows why, I'd be happy to know)

cricri21

cricri21

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there.
I'am really new with this stuff and I have some issues.
I followed all the steps of the guide to install Snow Leopard on my EEEpc 901 but when I try to boot from the HD on the EEEPC, It stays on the apple screen loading.. Nothing happens after.

Any idea of whhat I made wrong ?

Thanks for you help.
Cricri21

Gothnet

Gothnet

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there!

Firstly, a massive thanks to the author of this guide, installing on my eee was (pretty much) a breeze with this.

The only thing I did differently is that instead of installing on an external drive and trying to clone anything, I removed the runcore SSD from my eee and used its mini USB port to attach it to another mac for the install. That neatly eliminated messing around with transferring the install around.

I also updated to 10.6.2 with the teateam kernel, which is working wonderfully. As we speak the kext util is just checking over everything after I put in the updated SleepEnabler. I'm doing this because I had to remove it to install 10.6.2 and when I put the new one in somehow I put the contents and not the kext itself. Probably because of using windows to download it or some such...

Anyway, as ever, there are problems and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me.

1. Ralink is flaky. I have to go into the BIOS and disable the wireless card, save and exit, go back in and re-enable. OR I can boot into the failsafe linux on the old 4G partition and reboot into SL. Then it works. This isn't too much concern as I've just ordered a genuine apple atheros card (the two antenna type) to replace it.

2. Overheating/BIOS versions
I've noticed the 901 getting quite hot since installing SL. I was playing music from iTunes in the car today and after while I saw that the screen started going weird (flickering stuff jumping about). It's ok now its cooled down. CPU Scaling definitely works because I can dump out the CPU speed on the command line (forgot the command off the top of my head, think it was a hwcontrol thing) and see it changing.

Anyway, there have been a lot of BIOS updates since 1502, so I gave vanilla 2103 a try. All works as well as it did before, and the backlight level buttons work now when they didn't previously. But I've lost bluetooth. In short -

1502 + your dsdt = overheat
2103 + your dsdt = Bluetooth fine but external mouse goes crazy
2103 + no dsdt = no bluetooth

Does anyone know what to put in a dsdt to get it to pick up bluetooth?

Also not I'm not saying here that it's definitely the 1502 bios that's causing the heat issue, it may just as well be the ralink drivers or some other thing, but I wanted to try a newer BIOS to see if it helped because ASUS claim to have adjusted the heat profiles a lot.

3. Keyboard
Having alt as the apple key is annoying. I assume there's a way to remap?

Any help appreciated, and I'll return any that I can though I'm much more of a debian linux geek and pretty much an OSX n00b.

(It strikes me that my poor little 901 is going to have very few original parts left soon, with the new RAM, the runcore SSD, the apple wireless card, the chicony camera I've just ordered to replace the gensys and the keyboard replacement I had to buy after a little accident trying to get the last one off...)

(that's a point, anyone know if the chicony camera is linux friendly? I want to be able to run both and at the moment the linux install is my failsafe for skype...)

zkirill

zkirill

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Confirmed 10.6.3 running on Eee PC 901 4GB SSD +16GB SSD and 2GB w/ 1024x600 on laptop and 1400x900 on external VGA.

Blazing fast.

Installed using this guide. Updated to 10.6.1 and then went through Apple Software update to get to 10.6.3. Before pressing "reboot" I applied 10.6.3 kernel patch and SleepEnabler.kext from http://www.insanelym...p...197020&st=0

For 10.6.3 used these patched Intel GMA 950 kexts http://www.infinitem...5816/page3.html

Thank you!

Gothnet

Gothnet

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

For 10.6.3 used these patched Intel GMA 950 kexts http://www.infinitem...5816/page3.html

Thank you!

I too have it working, but a quick question - does sleep work properly for you?

It was working fine for me with 10.6.2. On 10.6.3 it goes to sleep fine, but when it wakes up the screen doesn't come back on. It wakes up, sure, because I managed to switch voiceover on and have it describe what was going on, but I can't get the screen to come up whatever I press.

The brightness buttons work before sleep too. But not after. Any ideas?

EDIT - I should mention that the screen flashes on very briefly and then goes black again

EDIT2 - Solution found here - http://ipis-osx.wiki...sleep-in-10-6-3

The problem appears to be the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext. I had to replace it with the older one that worked with 10.6.2.

There's also a problem with ClamshellDisplay.kext not working any more, but I haven't found a fix for that yet.

EDIT 3 - after applying the above fix t waking up, the clamshell close-to-sleep also appears to work. Weird...

Dima90

Dima90

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Confirmed 10.6.3 running on Eee PC 901 4GB SSD +16GB SSD and 2GB w/ 1024x600 on laptop and 1400x900 on external VGA.

Blazing fast.

Installed using this guide. Updated to 10.6.1 and then went through Apple Software update to get to 10.6.3. Before pressing "reboot" I applied 10.6.3 kernel patch and SleepEnabler.kext from http://www.insanelym...p...197020&st=0

Thank you!

I have a question when you installed the 10.6.3 update, you 1st installed it and then simply double cliked on the patched kernel provide by tea-team and then replaced the sleep enabler with the 10.6.3 compatible one? and tahts it? or you had to type some things in the terminal like we had to do for the 10.6.2?

Gothnet

Gothnet

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I have a question when you installed the 10.6.3 update, you 1st installed it and then simply double cliked on the patched kernel provide by tea-team and then replaced the sleep enabler with the 10.6.3 compatible one? and tahts it? or you had to type some things in the terminal like we had to do for the 10.6.2?

Errr... It was a bit more complex than that for me. From memory (i.e. don't take as gospel truth) -

Download teateam kernel and 10.6.x SleepEnabler.
Go to terminal,
sudo cp /user/<yourusernamehere>/Downloads/mach_kernel_atom /mach_kernel_atom
sudo chown root:wheel /mach_kernel_atom
sudo rm -r /Extra/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext
sudo cp -R /User/<yourusernamehere>/Downloads/SleepEnabler.kext /Extra/Extensions/

Then run the kext utility to fix up permissions. No idea if this is necessary but it makes me feel safer.
Then run the appel update to 10.6.3

When it's done, at the Chameleon boot screen type mach_kernel_atom to boot the teateam kernel. When t boots go back to the terminal and -

sudo mv /mach_kernel /mach_kernel_vanilla
sudo mv /mach_kernel_atom /mach_kernel

Then apply the grapics kexts mentioned above to get your proper resolution back. And run the kext util. Then if you have trouble on waking up from sleep like I did reapply the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext from 10.6.2

Think that covers it....

zkirill

zkirill

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
1. Download zip to Desktop
2. Unzip by double click
3. Open Terminal.app
4. sudo -s
5. Enter your root password
6. cd /
7. mv mach_kernel mach_kernel_1062
8. cp ~/Desktop/mach_kernel /
9. chown 0:0 mach_kernel
10. reboot

Original

After I did this it wouldn't startup so I booted off of my SD card where I had Mac OS 10.6.1 mirrored, downloaded the graphics drivers, put them into Kext and rebooted. Froze after first reboot and worked on the second one (must have been rebuilding caches). Good luck! :)

williamsonoma

williamsonoma

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Great tutorial!!

I got almost everything up and running.

When I close the lid, I still get the black SHUTDOWN screen. Any fixes on this?

I am running 1502 bios on my 901 (2 gig memory). No custom dsdt file. I followed the instructions to the T.

I also want to mention for others that are doing this that using a usb flash drive as your installer "DVD" and a usb flash drive as your external drive took a long time. Expect about 2.5 hours for the installation of osx.

Then when imaging your working usb external to your SSD internal using SuperDuper took about 4.5 hours.

Be sure to set aside time for this install if you have taken my route. Follow mk500 exactly and you'll have no problems.

As of right now I am on 10.6.1

I'm afraid to upgrade to any higher till I resolve the clam close/shutdown issue.

Thanks again to all for this helpful post!

Big high-5 to mk500 for his dedication.

williamsonoma

williamsonoma

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm also using the stock wifi card along with the ralink drivers. I am using the ralink utility whenever I want to log into wifi. Is there a way to change from using ralinks software to using the default osx software? Basically where the utility is on the upper right next to the time.

Thanks in advance!

baldwithglasses

baldwithglasses

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have SL 10.6 installed with a hodgepodge of kexts, and it runs... okay. I think it could be snappier, considering my original install felt snappier before I bodged it and had to redo it.

My questions:

Can someone list the necessary kexts for optimal SL operation?

Is there a way for me (besides a screen shot of what's listed in my Finder) to list the kexts that I currently use?

I notice there's a bunch of kexts that don't look pertinent to the install, like weird video card kexts. May I remove them with impunity, or will the operating system collapse in on itself?

williamsonoma

williamsonoma

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm getting " Service Battery" in the battery icon.

ANyone know how to resolve this?

onexsilence

onexsilence

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the Tutorial, I got everything working fine but i am unable to get the screen resolution to 1024x600. Can anyone help me out with this issue?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2015 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy