[GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard Install on eeepc 901

• Please log in to reply
288 replies to this topic

Poll: Guide Works (80 member(s) have cast votes)

Is this guide working on your eeepc 901?

1. Yes. Perfectly. I'm in eeepc Nirvana. (50 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

2. Yes, but I had to install additional drivers. (13 votes [16.25%])

Percentage of vote: 16.25%

3. No (17 votes [21.25%])

Percentage of vote: 21.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

MK500

MK500

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:All things technology.
NOTE: DO NOT UPGRADE TO 10.6.2! 10.6.1 is max for now.
This guide is for an Asus eeepc 901, but may work with others similar hardware.
I have swapped out my stock wifi card with an Apple (Atheros) card. If you are using the stock card; you will need to install special drivers for that card (RT2790) after completing this guide. A complete system using this guide (before trimming stuff out) will run around 6.4GB, so will fit on 8GB internal flash.

This is my first guide, but I have tested it multiple times with success each time. Comments and discussions are welcome so that I can continue to improve it.

Process Notes:
My process for building a system for the eeepc is to set everything up on an external USB hard drive connected to my desktop hackintosh (or real Mac). I do this because the SSD on the eeepc can be very slow for initial installs, and this technique also allows a lot of testing and trimming by moving the USB drive back and forth between the eeepc and desktop. Total installation is about 6.4GB in my setup before trimming any files.

I realize not everyone has all the equipment to follow this guide; but I wanted to get it out there because I hadn't seen a fully working guide for the 901 yet; and I really love this machine on Snow Leopard. I think it's much better on Snow Leopard then regular Leopard.

User Level:
This is a guide for users who understand the command line and have the necessary equipment.

What you will need:
1) Desktop hackintosh or real mac for setup
2) USB hard drive that you are OK erasing
3) Retail Snow Leopard DVD or image of it
4) ASUS eeepc 901
5) Files here eeepc901_guide_files zip

Getting Started:
1) Upgrade the BIOS on the eeepc 901
You will want to get a BIOS that has corrected DSDT information. I recommend you use the modified one included. There are notes on how to upgrade BIOS in my zip. Make sure all your devices are activated in BIOS, and hyper-threading works fine. Feel free to try this guide with other BIOS versions and report back your results, but I haven't had much luck with the regular ASUS bios (you would likely need DSDT).
2) Connect the USB hard drive to your desktop machine and Partition the drive. One partition GUID (let's call it "OSX").
3) Install Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658 onto the USB hard drive. Just install Chameleon 2.0 RC3 following the directions in doc -> readme. There are basically only three command lines you will need to enter to install, as you will see in the doc. Example_Video

NOTE: If you have never installed Chameleon RC3 before; now is a good time to test. You should be able to connect the drive to your eeepc 901 and hit esc at boot to boot off the drive. You should get the Chameleon boot loader. If you don't; go back and figure out what you did wrong. If it looks good, connect your USB drive back to your desktop and continue with your install.

4) Either insert your retail Snow Leopard DVD or mount your image now.
5) Finder -> Go Menu -> Go To Folder
/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages
double click OSInstall.mpkg
Follow the Menus to install Snow Leopard onto OSX. I de-selected the printers to save space and selected everything else. You may want to deselect everything to save even more.
6) Turn on owners so permissions transfer correctly:
sudo /usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/OSX
7) Place the Extra folder (from included zip) in the root of OSX
8) Copy all the Extensions (from the included zip) into /Volumes/OSX/System/Library/Extensions/
9) Repair Permissions
sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/OSX/System/Library/Extensions
sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/OSX/Extra
sudo chown root:admin /Volumes/OSX
sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/OSX/System/Library/Extensions
10) Remove kext cache
sudo rm -rf /Volumes/OSX/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext
11) Make sure your eeepc is connected to Power for the first boot. Boot up the eeepc from this USB hard drive and go through the normal OS X Welcome stuff and set up your user. When you power up your eeepc 901 with the USB drive connected, you will want to press Esc key until the boot option menu shows up. This will allow you to select your USB drive to boot off of it.

NOTE: First boot may take 2-3 minutes. If you boot verbose, you will see "Waiting for DSMOS...". Subsequent boots will be MUCH faster. My system boots off SSD in 33 seconds.

After Installation (on eeepc itself):
1) Run Repair Permissions from Disk Utility.
2) Improve your sound quality by installing the VoodooHDA prefpane, which is included in the PrefPane folder. Just double click to install for all users. Then go in the VooodooHDA pref pane in the speaker section and set the recording level to a non-zero value; this will activate your mic.
3) I also recommend opening System Preferences -> Mouse and setting Tracking Speed all the way to the left (or one notch up) and Scrolling Speed all the way to the left.
4) Get rid of the extra 1GB or 2GB sleepimage file forever. Open Terminal:
sudo pmset hibernatemode 0
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage

What works Now:
  • Video (1024x600), Video Playback, etc.
  • Webcam (Photo Booth and iChat) - XP version only (Linux version used different webcam; and we don't have drivers)
  • Sound
  • Wifi (at least if you have the right card)
  • Trackpad (plus two finger scroll, three finger right click, double-tap drag)
  • Keyboard
  • Bluetooth
  • Battery Display
  • Processor on-the-fly Speed Reduction (for increased battery life)
  • Hardware buttons control backlight (but no on-screen indicator)
  • Sleep (after wake; hit ALT-F3 to get screen back)
  • Automatic Sleep on Clamshell Close (hit key to wake)
  • Shutdown
  • Restart
  • Ethernet
  • Time Machine

Things To Fix:
  • Brightness automatic on wake
    Hitting Fn-F4 on wake isn't too painful; but a solution exists for the brave: Creating your own DSDT.aml (see below) is probably the best solution for this.
  • Ethernet : If you boot up with ethernet cable installed; it works fine, if you connect later it sometimes doesn't get a link. Anyone have a solution for this? I usually use wifi, so hadn't noticed the problem.

The Finale: Moving Install To Internal SSD:
Once your system is working to your liking; just copy it over to your internal SSD drive. Partition your SSD just like the hard drive, and Install Chameleon 2.0 RC3 on your SSD. Then just use SuperDuper! to clone your hard drive over to your SSD. You can now boot off your internal SSD!

Upgrading to 10.6.1:
After upgrading, your screen will revert back to 800x600 with no acceleration. Install the following two kexts from "Extensions" in my zip file to your /System/Library/Extensions folder to fix this:
AppleIntelGMA950.kext
AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
You will then need to run "Kext Utility" included in my zip file. This will clean up permissions and rebuild mkexts.

NOTE: DO NOT UPGRADE TO 10.6.2! 10.6.1 is max for now.

This Section OPTIONAL for Advanced Users:

How to create DSDT (and fix "backlight after sleep" issue):
1) Open Terminal. You will need to get into the folder that includes the iasl program. It is included in the newest version of my zip under DSDT_Fun/Tools
cd <space> <drop Tools folder here> <return>
Verify that you are in the right place:
$ ls <return>
getDSDT.sh				you_need_iasl_to_get_change_dsdt
iasl
2) Do the following to get an editable version of your DSDT
sudo ./getDSDT.sh
sudo ./iasl -d dsdt.dat
4) You now have a "dsdt.dsl" text file that you can edit in TextWrangler or your fav editor. Modify the following:
Method (WAK, 1, NotSerialized) //WAKE up
{
\_SB.PCI0.SBRG.EC0.EC0W (Arg0)
\_SB.PCI0.NWAK (Arg0)
\_SB.PCI0.SBRG.SWAK (Arg0)
LPWK (Arg0)
Store(\_SB.ATKD.PBLG(),local0) //---> Get Brightness level from NVS
\_SB.ATKD.PBLS(local0) //---> Set Brightness level.
}
5) Create your dsdt.aml with the following command
./iasl dsdt.dsl
6) Drop the newly created dsdt.aml into /Extra. Reboot. Note: you may not be able to boot if you screwed it up! Best to have some alternate boot device for testing like this (USB drive?)

List of DSDT mods/hacks here.

Other Notes on DSDT and BIOS:
If you do not flash the patched BIOS I included in my zip file, and instead use the newest ASUS bios, you will have (at least) the following problems:
  • Sleep will not work.
  • Bluetooth will not work
However, if you then apply a dsdt.aml file created with the patched BIOS installed; the above problems are fixed. Basically the dsdt.aml file overrides the BIOS. In a perfect world, we would patch the current ASUS BIOS; but that is beyond my skills right now. I need a list of all the stuff Kabyl did to the BIOS. If anyone has a link to this, let me know please.

hansboy

hansboy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi

Finally I got my 901 worked.
Share a bit experiment...

My 901 is totally original one(Linux 4G+16G), only the 4GB SLC was changed by ASUS to a faster 16G MLC, so I have 16G(new and faster)+16G(original one), I installed OSX86 on the new one.

I think it's necessary to have a USB disk which installed Chameleon to rescue your system.

list of my process
1.use another mac restore a SL DVD to a USB harddisk, mine is SATA with a USB adapter. And I was installed a SL on it, so it has two partitions 1:SL dvd 2:SL
2.make a Chameleon USB stick with all of those kexts in /Extra/Extensions.
3.boot 901 from the USB stick and choose the SL DVD partition.
4.install.................and done.(I have no error.)
(5.)if someone want to watch the welcome video, can boot into another SL first to install the kexts to 901's /S/L/E
5.now you can boot into 901's SL
6.install WIFI driver
7.update OSX 10.6.1
8.after reboot, install these kexts to /S/L/E
AppleIntelGMA950.kext
AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext---these two for video
AttansicL1eEthernet.kext---for "WIRE" ethernet
Natit.kext---seems for VGA output
VoodooHDA.kext---for sounds
use Kext Helper b7.app to install these kexts
9.until now, we still use the Chameleon USB stick to boot up uor eeepc, now we install the Chameleon into the eeepc that we don't need to plug a stick for bootup.
Install
Chameleon 2 RC3.pkg
after install finished, drag all of the files under USB stick's /Extra into 901 SL's /Extra
unplug the USB and reboot
and now cross your finger to wait it reboot

now you get a almost full functionally 901 which runs SL!

now I'm working on DSDT...
so far I'd success for
power button
fixed no backlid after wake from sleep (no more need to press fn+f3)
close lid to sleep

and working on function keys and native audio patch.

remember to update to bios to the latest one.

sorry for my poor ENG, feel free to ask if have any problems.

moly82

moly82

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
hi guys, I have installed SL on my eeepc901 too, using a similar procedure but different kexts (see my blog http://sampdorianodo....-on-eeepc.html )

the problem is that I can not make sleep to work!! I did try everything but no way.. :)

what could be the problem? I did try also with the kexts by mk500 but they don't work as well.. so I think it is not due to the kexts but it can be a problem of the BIOS.. can you tell me exactly which one are you using mk500?

I'm on the latest vanilla one by asus (2103) with no DSDT.aml file.. hansboy: are you using the same revision? If yes, can you send me your working DSDT.aml file please?

thanks bye!

MK500

MK500

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 80 posts

hi guys, I have installed SL on my eeepc901 too, using a similar procedure but different kexts (see my blog http://sampdorianodo....-on-eeepc.html )

the problem is that I can not make sleep to work!! I did try everything but no way.. :(

what could be the problem? I did try also with the kexts by mk500 but they don't work as well.. so I think it is not due to the kexts but it can be a problem of the BIOS.. can you tell me exactly which one are you using mk500?

I'm on the latest vanilla one by asus (2103) with no DSDT.aml file.. hansboy: are you using the same revision? If yes, can you send me your working DSDT.aml file please?

thanks bye!

I had much trouble using the latest BIOS from ASUS; and went back to the one I specified in my post. It seems to be the best if you are not using a DSDT (I don't have one yet).

The one I'm using is the EeePC 901 from this link.

Hi

Finally I got my 901 worked.
Share a bit experiment...

Thanks for the post hansboy! I'll integrate some of your findings into my tutorial once I have time to test them. We 901 users have to stick together :-D

moly82

moly82

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

I had much trouble using the latest BIOS from ASUS; and went back to the one I specified in my post. It seems to be the best if you are not using a DSDT (I don't have one yet).

The one I'm using is the EeePC 901 from this link.

I have already tried with that bios also, I am using it now (1502 by kabyl) but sleep does not work here :( dunno why I am using the same kexts as you and same bios.. when I close the lid or press fn+f1 the screen becomes black but the eeepc seems to be still on (blue led for wifi stays on) and I can not get back any signal on the screen.. it can be a problem of the OpenHaltRestart kext? It doesn't load here..

bash-3.2# cat /var/log/system.log |grep psystar
Sep 15 21:44:13 Robinho com.apple.kextd[12]: Load com.psystar.driver.OpenHaltRestart failed; removing personalities.
Sep 15 21:52:51 Robinho com.apple.kextcache[144]: kxld[com.psystar.driver.OpenHaltRestart]: The following symbols are unresolved for this kext:
Sep 15 21:52:51 Robinho com.apple.kextcache[144]: kxld[com.psystar.driver.OpenHaltRestart]: 	_kdreboot
Sep 15 21:52:51 Robinho com.apple.kextcache[144]: Prelink failed for com.psystar.driver.OpenHaltRestart; omitting from prelinked kernel.

...and if I try to load it manually....

bash-3.2# kextutil /path/to/OpenHaltRestart.kext
Warnings: 
	Kexts with a kernel library < v6.0 must set MODULE_VERSION the same as CFBundleVersion to load on kernel < v6.0.
	Kexts with a kernel library < v6.0 must set MODULE_NAME the same as CFBundleIdentifier to load on kernel < v6.0.

(kernel) kxld[com.psystar.driver.OpenHaltRestart]: The following symbols are unresolved for this kext:
(kernel) kxld[com.psystar.driver.OpenHaltRestart]: 	_kdreboot
(kernel) Can't load kext com.psystar.driver.OpenHaltRestart - link failed.
(kernel) Failed to load executable for kext com.psystar.driver.OpenHaltRestart.
(kernel) Kext com.psystar.driver.OpenHaltRestart failed to load (0xdc008016).
(kernel) Failed to load kext com.psystar.driver.OpenHaltRestart (error 0xdc008016).
Failed to load /path/to/OpenHaltRestart.kext - (libkern/kext) link error.
Check library declarations for your kext with kextlibs(8).

can you type in a terminal this command and let me know what it shows you?

cat /var/log/system.log |grep psystar

thanks bye!

MK500

MK500

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 80 posts

I was thinking a USB hard drive would do the trick (I'm on a 1000he by the way), and other than the dsdt.aml and the modified BIOS, it should work the same in theory, since the hardware is so similar.

I would definitely try it with my instructions; you can just use the USB hard drive elsewhere if it doesn't work. You would need to use a different modified BIOS of course. The site I link to gives a whole bunch of modified BIOS. There is one for the 1000H and 1000HD; I'm not sure if one of those is identical to yours?

Note that once you get it working perfectly on the external USB drive; it is VERY easy to move it onto your internal SSD. When you get to that point; I can walk you through it.

thanks bye!

I'm getting the exact same messages as you. However, my machine does shut down and restart properly. Maybe the OpenHaltRestart isn't needed; but I am pretty sure shutdown is hanging without it.

As for sleep; what happens when you go to Apple -> Sleep? When I do this it goes to the blinking lightbulb and no other lights (if plugged into AC, then also the red battery light). When I hit space bar or power button, it wakes; but I MUST then hit Fn-F4 or Fn-F5 to get the screen back.

I do not hit the Fn-F1 for sleep; as I had problems with that once. I am able to close the lid to put it to sleep also.

AttansicL1eEthernet.kext---for "WIRE" ethernet

Can you link me to this file? When I tried to install it with my build; I had the following problems:

1) Ethernet interface shows up, but I can't get a link
2) There are various delays during boot and various other times that weren't there before
3) Sleep is no longer working right

Maybe you have a different version of this file than I found? Mine comes as AttansicL1eEthernet_0418_64.zip and is supposed to be for snow leopard.

If I can get this to work correctly I'll include it in my guide and files zip.

moly82

moly82

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

I'm getting the exact same messages as you. However, my machine does shut down and restart properly. Maybe the OpenHaltRestart isn't needed; but I am pretty sure shutdown is hanging without it.

So I am pretty sure it doesn't load for you too and you are not using it ;)

btw you can check very easily, from the terminal:

kextstat |grep Open

it should not show you anything..

I confirm I am not using it and shutdown and restart don't hang almost all the time here, just a few times this happen.

I have just installed a different OpenHaltRestart.kext a guy sent me which loads perfectly no errors and it shows up in kextstat:

bash-3.2# kextstat |grep Open
   17	0 0x14e4d000 0x2000	 0x1000	 com.psystar.driver.OpenHaltRestart (1.0.3) <4 3>

you can find it here: http://cid-8b65993ef...x/.Public/OSx86
(in "Snow Leopard > Fixy > OpenHaltRestart.kext_for_snow_64")

..I will see how it works and if the rare hangs will disappear completely I will continue using it.. for sure it did not fix my sleep problem ;)

As for sleep; what happens when you go to Apple -> Sleep? When I do this it goes to the blinking lightbulb and no other lights (if plugged into AC, then also the red battery light). When I hit space bar or power button, it wakes; but I MUST then hit Fn-F4 or Fn-F5 to get the screen back.

I do not hit the Fn-F1 for sleep; as I had problems with that once. I am able to close the lid to put it to sleep also.

I tried also from the apple menu same problem.. first led on the left and last one on the right stay on (solid green and solid blue respectively), the second one for the battery blinking slowly.. just the images disappear from the screen that becomes black and I can not get them back in any way.. space bar, power button, fn+f3, fn+f4 don't do anything :) what I can do is just a brutal shutdown with the powerbutton..

Can you link me to this file? When I tried to install it with my build; I had the following problems:

2) There are various delays during boot and various other times that weren't there before

Maybe you have a different version of this file than I found? Mine comes as AttansicL1eEthernet_0418_64.zip and is supposed to be for snow leopard.

I am using attansic kext as well and it works perfectly, I am pretty sure it is not the cause of my sleep problem as I did try sleep only after I unloaded the kext.. if you want to try it you can find it in the link below, which is the zip file containing the kexts I was using before to read this thread
http://www.filefront...9323/Extra.zip/

unfortunately I can not confirm it works properly also after sleep (it did not in leopard, had to manually unload and reload the kext) as sleep here is not working.. :|

please help! just sleep remain to fix here :(

bye

EDIT: PS: boot is very fast here, 40 seconds or seomthing like that.. so I start thinking there must be some other differences between my and your eeePC.. (maybe HW? dunno... I am using the same kexts and bios as you now, just the Attansic kext and OpenHaltRestart are different..)

MK500

MK500

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 80 posts

please help! just sleep remain to fix here :)

bye

EDIT: PS: boot is very fast here, 40 seconds or seomthing like that.. so I start thinking there must be some other differences between my and your eeePC.. (maybe HW? dunno... I am using the same kexts and bios as you now, just the Attansic kext and OpenHaltRestart are different..)

Couple questions:
Are you currently testing with an external USB; or are you on your SSD drive now?

I'm wondering about this because sleep is acting a bit finicky for me while testing on the USB drive; then works perfectly once I have transferred to the internal SSD.

Do you have a DSDT.aml file in your /Extra?

I'm guessing this is what causes my 60 second hang "Waiting for DSMOS...". I currently DO NOT have a DSDT.aml, but plan on creating one soon.

moly82

moly82

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Couple questions:
Are you currently testing with an external USB; or are you on your SSD drive now?

I'm wondering about this because sleep is acting a bit finicky for me while testing on the USB drive; then works perfectly once I have transferred to the internal SSD.

Do you have a DSDT.aml file in your /Extra?

I'm guessing this is what causes my 60 second hang "Waiting for DSMOS...". I currently DO NOT have a DSDT.aml, but plan on creating one soon.

1. everything is installed in my SSD, snow leopard and bootloader ;) I know it could give some problems if running from USB, but this is not my case.. :)

2. no DSDT.aml file, only kabyl bios 1502 here.
As far as i know dsdt.aml file is only needed in case you are using a asus vanilla bios, or if you want to modify something wihtout touching the bios again (powerbutton support, brightness fix after wake etc etc)

right now I tried all the following configurations with snow leopard:

- old bios from kabyl/osrom.net (don't remember the revision), no dsdt.aml file
- vanilla bios 2001 + dsdt.aml file for 2001
- vanilla bios 2103, no dsdt.aml file
- vanilla bios 2103 + dsdt.aml file for 2001

with all of the above mentioned configurations everything was working except for sleep.. really don't know what else to try.. :)

about your 60 seconds delay, the very strange thing is that here during the first reboot after installing all your kexts replacing my old ones, I had the same delay, after the second reboot and from that time on, no delays anymore here, boot is very fast as before....

bye

MK500

MK500

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 80 posts

with all of the above mentioned configurations everything was working except for sleep.. really don't know what else to try.. :)

about your 60 seconds delay, the very strange thing is that here during the first reboot after installing all your kexts replacing my old ones, I had the same delay, after the second reboot and from that time on, no delays anymore here, boot is very fast as before....

bye

I bet the difference between our systems is your WiFi card. Which exact model are you using? The original? I'm using an Apple Airport card from a MacBook Pro (as I note at the beginning of my tutorial).

moly82

moly82

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

I bet the difference between our systems is your WiFi card. Which exact model are you using? The original? I'm using an Apple Airport card from a MacBook Pro (as I note at the beginning of my tutorial).

I have a broadcom wifi card recognized natively by osx as an airport card (bougth on ebay..)

I have another one from my mac mini (atheros) but I don't think this can be the problem, the card I have now always worked perfectly on leopard.. also the sleep.. :)

Branhower

Branhower

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

I would definitely try it with my instructions; you can just use the USB hard drive elsewhere if it doesn't work. You would need to use a different modified BIOS of course. The site I link to gives a whole bunch of modified BIOS. There is one for the 1000H and 1000HD; I'm not sure if one of those is identical to yours?

Note that once you get it working perfectly on the external USB drive; it is VERY easy to move it onto your internal SSD. When you get to that point; I can walk you through it.

Booyah, fool! Finally got a working SL install on the EEE. Very happy. :( Haven't tried the dsdt.aml idea yet, but from what I read; it saves a lot of issues

And I'm apparently stuck in 800x600, but I can add an entry into com.apple.boot.plist that force-boots it into 1024x600 and 32 bit color mode, so that's an easy fix.

MK500

MK500

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 80 posts

Booyah, fool! Finally got a working SL install on the EEE. Very happy. :( Haven't tried the dsdt.aml idea yet, but from what I read; it saves a lot of issues

And I'm apparently stuck in 800x600, but I can add an entry into com.apple.boot.plist that force-boots it into 1024x600 and 32 bit color mode, so that's an easy fix.

Great! You did this build following my instructions? Did you have any problems with any steps? (looking to improve here).

Did you move to your internal SSD yet?

The 1024x600 issue is handled by three kexts in the Extensions folder: AppleIntelGMA950.kext, AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext, and Natit.kext

If you copied these into your /System/Library/Extensions and your resolution isn't working, then your video chip might be using a different device ID. Please download and install OSX86Tool.app and click View PCI Device/Vendor ID; then click Run LSPCI and tell me what your video chip. On the eeepc 901 it looks like:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:27ae] (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller [0380]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:27a6] (rev 03)

If you send me that info; I might have some suggestions to fix it.

hansboy

hansboy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

the problem is that I can not make sleep to work!! I did try everything but no way.. :(

I use the "official 2103 ROM" with my DSDT.aml
attachment is my every thing in /Extra ;)

Thanks for the post hansboy! I'll integrate some of your findings into my tutorial once I have time to test them. We 901 users have to stick together :-D

:)

Kexts with a kernel library < v6.0 must set MODULE_NAME the same as CFBundleIdentifier to load on kernel < v

I have nothing with this command?? :wacko:

HERE! is where I got my ethernet worked, use the newest one. I haven't try a lot on this due to I only need WIFI... :P

kextstat |grep Open

it should not show you anything..

maybe you can try my kexts?
I can sleep by 1.push fn+F1 2.just close the lid 3.select from the menu after push power button
and it's wake without any problem

I have no delay at boot, but it's takes me about 1min when first time I use ATL1E kext, after that, every time I boot do not have any delay time.
Now my 901 boot、restart、sleep、wake、shutdown are very fast and no any problems.

good luck with my attachment!
I just packed /Extra under my root!
Attached File  Extra.zip   413.79KB   193 downloads

hope you guys can fix your problem :)

by the way

1.UUID problem
modify
/Extra/Extensions/PlatformUUID.kext --/Contents/Info.plist
change the string of this key
PlatformUUID
you can replace your MAC address or just make a UUID on internet (ask google)
also replace the same string into
/Extra/smbios.plist
the string of SMUUID should as same as PlatformUUID

this fixed a bit of problems...

kexts of 1.display 2.audio 3.ethernet should install into /S/L/E
no work if install to /E/E
I have no idea about this...

MK500

MK500

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 80 posts

I have a broadcom wifi card recognized natively by osx as an airport card (bougth on ebay..)

I have another one from my mac mini (atheros) but I don't think this can be the problem, the card I have now always worked perfectly on leopard.. also the sleep.. :)

Hey Moly82; If you are still having problems with sleep -- and you have a few minutes -- please try:

Turn off ethernet in your BIOS (temporarily). Download my newest zip. Use an external USB drive and follow my instructions EXACTLY (the order matters in several places). Boot off the USB drive and do the startup stuff. If all goes smoothly, close the lid. If it goes to sleep and the blue light goes out; then I think all you would need to do is copy that install over to your SSD to have working sleep. It will probably wake after your test; but might not mount the USB HD again; so you'll have to force shutdown once. From there you could re-install your ethernet extension and other improvements one by one; but at least you'd have a known working sleep.

I know you may not want to do this because you have probably done a bunch of changes to your setup already; but I've tested this exact process like 3 times and sleep is working perfectly once on SSD.

Branhower

Branhower

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Don't be surprised if I don't get back to you all for a long time, got a full day of college ahead.

I'll go ahead and PM some of the mods I made for your guide when I get the time.

moly82

moly82

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
ciao mk500 and hansboy and thanks for your help, I'm glad to see you are trying to help me, I really appreciate :( :)

Hey Moly82; If you are still having problems with sleep -- and you have a few minutes -- please try:

Turn off ethernet in your BIOS (temporarily). Download my newest zip. Use an external USB drive and follow my instructions EXACTLY (the order matters in several places). Boot off the USB drive and do the startup stuff. If all goes smoothly, close the lid. If it goes to sleep and the blue light goes out; then I think all you would need to do is copy that install over to your SSD to have working sleep. It will probably wake after your test; but might not mount the USB HD again; so you'll have to force shutdown once. From there you could re-install your ethernet extension and other improvements one by one; but at least you'd have a known working sleep.

I know you may not want to do this because you have probably done a bunch of changes to your setup already; but I've tested this exact process like 3 times and sleep is working perfectly once on SSD.

a part from the fact I have already tried many different configurations and reinstalled/restored images many times as you said, I am in Brazil for work now so I wouldn't like to break my install until I come back home where I have all I need to eventually fix my install, btw I will try again to install on the external USB hard disk following your advice step by step when I go home and let you know, next Monday I think, thanks again!

@hansboy: if that command doesn't show anything probably your OHRestart kext is loading properly, just run this to confirm:

quetion: I am not using the PlatformUUID.kext (I think you don't as well mk500 as I'm using your exact kets right now).. do we need it? Can it be the reason of my sleep problem?
If yes, I understood what to modify in the two Info.plist files, but I did not understand what to write exactly inside them.. can you advice hansboy please?

My airport and wired lan MAC addresses are respectively 00:14:a5:f4:ad:6c and 00:22:15:64:f6:ba ....

ciao e grazie!

hansboy

hansboy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

@hansboy: if that command doesn't show anything probably your OHRestart kext is loading properly, just run this to confirm:

it's seems not very properly loaded this kext?
	 16	  0 0x14e5d000 0x2000	0x1000	 com.psystar.driver.OpenhaltRestart (1.0.3) <4 3>

PlatformUUID.kext fixed "_CFGetHostUUID String: unable to determine UUID for HOST error 35" problem which let me install from official DVD without error, also reduce strange problems in system. It sign a UUID for your OSX86 system (your PC)

there's two ways to get your unique UUID
1.use this generator by time
UUID Generator
like this
<key>SMUUID</key>
	<string>650123e0-a2fe-11de-8a39-0800200c9a66</string>

2.use your ethernet MAC address to replace mine in my attachment
like this
<key>SMUUID</key>
	<string>00000000-0000-1000-8000-0014a5f4ad6c</string>
or
like this
<key>SMUUID</key>
	<string>00000000-0000-1000-8000-00221564f6ba</string>

pick one of three I list. and put it into those two plists~

BTW
I removed the ATL1E kext.
it seems let my 901 random freeze...

I'm in Taiwan and now it's 4:26AM...

MK500

MK500

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 80 posts

BTW
I removed the ATL1E kext.
it seems let my 901 random freeze...

I'm in Taiwan and now it's 4:26AM...

I haven't had any freezes in 24 hours of use with the ATL1E kext included in my zip. I wonder if it's different from the one you have? I know the first one I was using was causing freezes. Maybe try the one in my zip?

We're really spread out across the world; I'm in San Francisco, California.

ciao mk500 and hansboy and thanks for your help, I'm glad to see you are trying to help me, I really appreciate :) :rolleyes:

a part from the fact I have already tried many different configurations and reinstalled/restored images many times as you said, I am in Brazil for work now so I wouldn't like to break my install until I come back home where I have all I need to eventually fix my install,

quetion: I am not using the PlatformUUID.kext (I think you don't as well mk500 as I'm using your exact kets right now)..

Happy to help; I'm learning here too. With my newest zip file I have ethernet working as well as fixed OpenHaltRestart thanks to you.

I was also able to get my backlight to come on automatically after wake (no need to hit Alt-F4). I did it by creating a custom DSDT for my machine. This isn't in my guide yet because it's a bit complicated. It's better to make your own vs trying to use anyone elses; as each machine is different. I'll post the steps I used when I get home.

I'm not currently using the PlatformUUID.kext.

I'm always worried about breaking my machine while I'm away from home also; so I keep an updated build of eeebuntu on my 4GB SSD. It works great as an emergency backup OS. I was thinking it would be even better if I could get a slimmed down Snow Leopard on there for emergencies; but 4GB is pretty small.

moly82

moly82

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
@ hansboy: thanks for the info, it seems I don't have that error here at boot so probably I won't install that kext now but it is good to know just in case :(
as per the OHRestart kext don't worry it seems properly working as it shows up in kextstat :D
also, I confirm I have been using the Attansic kext for long without any problems, so your freezes can be due to something else unless you are using a old kext..

@mk500: about the dsdt.aml file it can be shared between eeepc 901 users without any problems if the amount of RAM we have is the same, it is sensitive especially to this not so much to other things.. btw my sleep problem does not seem due to the bios/dsdt.aml file I am using as I have already tried many different configurations and the problem is always the same... :)

question: for the CPU scaling, are you using the GenericCPUPMControl app from superhai web site?
as I'm having some problems while listening music on iTunes on battery and not interacting with the system.. sometimes the audio disappear, does this happen to you also? can you try to leave iTunes running playing some songs without touching anything for a few minutes and let me know?
I remember I had this exact problem in the past when the CPU scaling was not working properly..

bye!

ps: I'm from Italy! :(

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy