Installed SL, now need a way to boot into it

msingh

10 posts in this topic

Hello,

Getting tired of the repeated issues booting into SL, I decided to go the reverse route.

I dug out the SATA HD out, connected it to the USB port using a convertor cable and power supply, and installed SL on it using the guide at:

Installation of Snow Leopard

Used just the SL installation parts, specifically.

I have used a bunch of different discs to try to boot (I have tried cdboot), but I get a kernel panic each time.

However, if I follow the remaining instructions (the added kexts etc.) in the link above, I get to a stage that cdboot just leads to the apple wheel spinning and spinning (waited for an hour before losing patience). So, I get a hang. Then I reinstalled - now cdboot just KPs as well.

This means that some of the added kexts in S/L/E there prevent the KP but cannot prevent the hang. Can someone with cdboot knowhow (perhaps the author ?) look the link above over and suggest what might be going on ?

I have tried both ATA and AHCI modes.

Obviously, I want to modify the existing installation of never booted virgin SL as little as possible.

I have read that I might have to add the EFI string for my Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M card. I thought Chameleon RC3 (the latest version) could detect this automatically.

This laptop has never had any version of OSX installed on it.

I had the same issue with my Dell M4300, it would KP when trying to load IOATAFamily.kext. Apparently there is an issue with the kext that is causing the KP. I replaced it with the one attached here and that resolved the issue.

Edit:

Here is the link to the original post that got me working:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186609

IOATAFamily.kext.zip

I had the same issue with my Dell M4300, it would KP when trying to load IOATAFamily.kext. Apparently there is an issue with the kext that is causing the KP. I replaced it with the one attached here and that resolved the issue.

Did you use ATA or AHCI modes ?

I tried adding it to the /Extras/Extensions directory but it didn't seem to work, so I put it in /S/L/E and overwrote the existing files.

Thanks for that kext. It was not the solution to my immediate problem, but once I got past my initial "Unable to find drivers" problem by adding kexts to /Extra, this fixed the PIIXATA panic.

Now I have a different problem - "No HPETs available...CPU(s) configured incorrectly ... AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement/...-90/pmThread.c:148

Upon reading that this is caused by a faulty dsdt.aml, I did the following:

1. Used a Linux Live CD to get dsdt.aml from the laptop (cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > dsdt.aml).

2. Transferred this to the macbook.

3. Disassembled it.

4. Edited it to fix the RTC length 2.

5. Compiled it.

6. Gave me an error that *pnp0c14 had to be purely alphanumeric.

7. Deleted the *.

8. This time it compiled correctly.

9. Copied this dsdt.aml to / and /Extra.

I still get the same problem.

Am I missing an /Extra kext ?