EP35-DS3R Tips

poofyhairguy

33 posts in this topic

Glad to see this has worked out for you hopefully I can pick your brain on this and it might get me over whatever the heck it is that I'm doing wrong.

I'm trying to get my EP35-DS3R board to run either Leopard or Snow Leopard. When I use the Boot CD method ( using blackosx's boot cd), Snow Leopard doesn't even get to the point where I can get to the desktop and perform an install - it simply throws a KP. This could be because I have the 5 license upgrade disk and not the full disk so I figured I would try my hand with Leopard. Leopard does indeed get much further, going through the full install - but at the very end flags a fault saying that it couldn't set the boot disk * nothing in the PDF from blackosx's tutorial indicates that I should see this fault (so am I just doing something wrong?)

Additionally, and this is probably a real n00b question, can the *.kext files that you have for Snow Leopard be used for Leopard or do I need to hunt down a whole host of Leopard kext files.

Although I would like to install SL, it seems that I may have to install Leopard - is that fair to say?

Thanks

If SL is giving you KPs on install. it might be due to a RAM issue- OSX gets pickier and pickier about RAM and installation. When I had this issue I took out all my RAM sticks but one, and even then it took a few tries with SL.

Once you get SL or Leo installed the way you get around the boot disk message is you use the boot cd to boot your HD. Just interrupt its default boot sequence by hitting the left key a lot at boot, then select your HD in the chameleon menu.

Then download chameleon EFI from the net and install it, then put the kexts you need in the E/E. Then it should boot without the disk.

For now you can use SL kexts on Leo as long as you stick to the list...

If SL is giving you KPs on install. it might be due to a RAM issue- OSX gets pickier and pickier about RAM and installation. When I had this issue I took out all my RAM sticks but one, and even then it took a few tries with SL.

Once you get SL or Leo installed the way you get around the boot disk message is you use the boot cd to boot your HD. Just interrupt its default boot sequence by hitting the left key a lot at boot, then select your HD in the chameleon menu.

Then download chameleon EFI from the net and install it, then put the kexts you need in the E/E. Then it should boot without the disk.

For now you can use SL kexts on Leo as long as you stick to the list...

Well, I've moved forward (somewhat).

I have at this time installed Snow Leopard and have performed the update so that I'm running 10.6.1. I haven't really tried to get the full video working as I have ordered a 9600GT with 1GB of RAM so, I figured I'll wait for that to come in before I fiddle with the graphics any more.

Sound is also giving me a problem though. I have dropped the ACL889.kext file into my E/E path, but it never seems to load. I've even tried the loadkext command and it looks like its loading the kext only the kext cannot be found with a kextstat, nor does the audio work. It's kind of weird. At this point I also don't have a DSDT.aml file (everything seems to run well - other than the sound, including no CMOS reset).

Any thoughts on what could be preventing the sound from working?

Poofyhairguy, Thanks for this! Got snow working quite nice on my DS3R. Got a KP after updating to 10.6.2 but added the sleepenabler from blackosx's post and it boots again. The down side is my sleep doesnt work like another poster mentioned. When you move the mouse or hit the keyboard to wake it starts to boot just like it would from a cold start. I have a little more to go to get this perfect, but your DSDT cut out 98% of the leg work.

E8400@3.89/EP35-DS3R/4GB@800/8800GTS 512/on board:Sound, NIC: all working

(I know gigabyte is infamous for not waking on o/c machines, so I've tried factory settings also and got the same result)

• 2 months later...
Well, I've moved forward (somewhat).

I have at this time installed Snow Leopard and have performed the update so that I'm running 10.6.1. I haven't really tried to get the full video working as I have ordered a 9600GT with 1GB of RAM so, I figured I'll wait for that to come in before I fiddle with the graphics any more.

Sound is also giving me a problem though. I have dropped the ACL889.kext file into my E/E path, but it never seems to load. I've even tried the loadkext command and it looks like its loading the kext only the kext cannot be found with a kextstat, nor does the audio work. It's kind of weird. At this point I also don't have a DSDT.aml file (everything seems to run well - other than the sound, including no CMOS reset).

Any thoughts on what could be preventing the sound from working?

Try dropping alc889.kext on kext utility icon. Hopefully it will work. I have a headache from the ep43-ud3l that i finally got 100% Snow Vanills install. Now to try booting into 64-bit kernel.

Hello poofyhairguy. I need to make sure I get your steps right. I just completed a ep43-ud3L for my girl and we are both happy with the outcome. Now its time for my ep35-ds3R. I already have Leopard 10.5.6 working pretty good, however, its not snow. I followed the life hacker guide to do hers and I still have the USB drive I prepared. I also downloaded the boot cd. The install failed quite often. I had to keep retrying. As a matter of fact, the install she is using now, reported that it failed. But it still works and I updated to 10.6.2. I have a couple of questions. Do you know how to patch the dsdt(without gfx) you provided the link for? Was asking due to the alc889a. It could be input in the dsdt and is supposed to work better. It would be nice, but I guess if it works pretty good as is, no prob to me. I use Ableton Live a lot. Next question. Does sleep work for you with your provided kexts? I can do without it if it does not. Just might wanna save electricity at times. If it does not work, is it ok if I get rid of sleepenabler.kext or does snow really need it? Should I add all your kexts into the E\E folder or should any be added with kext utility/kexthelper? I got your pm about the 4870, I will try efi 10.5 and an evoenabler.kext for it. But I do have on last very important question. Could you give some tips on installing Chameleon RC4 after I am booted into Snow. I have snowbootloader which includes RC3. Would it be safe to just use the Chameleon rc4 installer packege? or Should I just stick with rc3?

Nevermind. I got it. 4870 with VGA cable. 1680x1050. 64-bit. 4Gb Ram. 10.6.2 and no issues at all. I have not tried sleep yet though.

If you get KPs on this board, be sure to repair permissions in the disk utility!

Poofyhairguy, Thanks for this! Got snow working quite nice on my DS3R. Got a KP after updating to 10.6.2 but added the sleepenabler from blackosx's post and it boots again. The down side is my sleep doesnt work like another poster mentioned. When you move the mouse or hit the keyboard to wake it starts to boot just like it would from a cold start. I have a little more to go to get this perfect, but your DSDT cut out 98% of the leg work.

E8400@3.89/EP35-DS3R/4GB@800/8800GTS 512/on board:Sound, NIC: all working

(I know gigabyte is infamous for not waking on o/c machines, so I've tried factory settings also and got the same result)

Yeah, I too have had trouble with sleep since 10.6.2 Looking for a solution....

• 6 months later...

iAtkos s3 + GA-P35-DS3L

I have seen a lot people using iAtkos S3 to install SL on the DS3R version, just have not seen anything for the DS3L.

Here is what I am running:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L

P35 + ICH9 Chipset

AL888 Audio

RTL8111 Nic

(all the standards on this board)

XFX GeForce 9800 GT 512mb

Nothing else added at the moment.

I read to enable AHCI in the bios so I have done that. Starting to run the installs now.

Anything I need to be aware of, kexts to use, kexts to not?

In the OSX86 Wiki for 10.5.7 (GA-P35-DS3L + iAtkos v7) it listed all the exact options to choose during install. With NVDarwin, I had a fully functional system, just hadn't upgrade to 10.5.8. yet.

So, I didn't want to blow that working install, so I am using a separate HD and trying S3.

Any help is greatly appreciated! I love the Insanely Mac community and it has helped me so much!

Thanks!