MacBook Wireless Issues

12 posts in this topic

Hi All,

My brand spaking MacBook seems to found a dislike for Linksys WRT54G wireless routers. It wont stay connected to them. It hooks up, works, then will drop the connection for no reason.

I connected to a Netgear Wireless router, and (touch wood) its being ok. Whats causing this?

rich

I have intermitten problems with my WRT54G at home. It seems to be a signal issue as it only happens when I am upstairs and not downstair (where the router is). Also I have the antenna booster on as well... And it only happens occasionally - other times it is ok (even in the exact same location).

Perhaps it is interference or something else with the signal. I will try to change the Channel. The Firmware version is V3.03.1.

I also have an WRT54G at the office with the same set up and have no problems. ACtually not quite the same: the office is on WPA encryption whereas I am on WEP at home.

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your new baby. I cant help but I have a Linksys WAG354G and the MacBook is happy to talk to it so I guess its not a brand issue. Maybe updating the firmware as suggested may help (if you are not running the latest)

Yeah, I could drop it back to original Linksys FW.

Im having no issues on the Netgear router though, which is bizzare. Ive never had an issue like this in a long time of setting up wireless networks. :S

Anyway, I'm sure I will find a work around.

Rich

Update: I fropped back to Linksys EU firmware and enabled WPA2 Personal ont he Wireless.

This seems to be working fine!

I think it was a router issue and not a macbook one :blink:

Thanks for the advice all.

Rich

I tried to connect to another WRT54G running WEP64 encryption. Same issues with random disconnects. Very weird. The router isn't mine - so im not messing with FW etc, but its worth noting that the issue could be with WEP security.

Anyone else using a linksys unit with WEP?

Hi All,

My brand spaking MacBook seems to found a dislike for Linksys WRT54G wireless routers. It wont stay connected to them. It hooks up, works, then will drop the connection for no reason.

I connected to a Netgear Wireless router, and (touch wood) its being ok. Whats causing this?

rich

its not your macbook, its a bug in the linksys product, umm its the same with most macs i read the articale in macformat a few months ago, i would type the exact thing up for you put im moving home so the mag is packed up in a box sorry

Dont worry about typing it up.

I have my Linksys running on WPA2 and its been fine. It appears to be a WEP/Linksys issue.

As long as it doesnt affect the laptops ability on public WiFi hotspots, I dont care. WEP is pants anyway :D