[How To] ALC882 Sound

Rammjet

204 posts in this topic

For this error:

The system extension “/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOHDAudioFamily.kext“

was installed improperly and cannot be used.

Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update.

In my case it was caused by installing Sound Blaster USB drivers during OS installation (required for logitech usb headphones). I couldn't figure out a way to fix it after the fact so I did a clean install (without sb usb) and used the fix posted on this thread and all is well with onboard sound. Installing the SB USB drivers after this fix was applied also works well and now both devices are detected.

Ok Boys, and girls!

my 882 has line in because i use the applehda.kext from 10.4.3 in my installed 10.4.5!

When i delete the applehda.kext i've got sound out but no sound in!

Hi, can you post this, so we can try this too...?

that would be nice...

thx.. Rene

It would be nice to get sound input. My mic just sits here doing nothing...plus, my front headphone jack/mic/line in doesn't work. Only the back line out works. Are there any updates?

I think no, sorry.

Have made a Search around the Forum yesterday, but found nothing works....

Rammjet, the instructions you gave me were perfect. You explained it down to the very last detail. I really appreciate you taking the time to type all that out for me just now. As for the other guy posting in this thread... just do what Rammjet says!

Thanks again, I wish more forums had people that were willing to explain things this clearly.

Have ALC880 chipset. Tried this guide, but getting following error. Any ideas?

kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext appears to be valid

15IOHDAudioStream is not compatible with its superclass, 8OSObject superclass changed?

kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

Have ALC880 chipset. Tried this guide, but getting following error. Any ideas?

kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext appears to be valid

15IOHDAudioStream is not compatible with its superclass, 8OSObject superclass changed?

kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

In my experience, this either means you entered one of the strings in the wrong format or you altered the plist in some other way - added spaces, or a return character or changed the indenting.

For ALC880, the first string is probably "0x10ec0880" and the 2nd string is most likely of the form "0xZZZZ8086" where ZZZZ are 4 characters similar to (but may be different than) "27d8". If you used strings that are not like these, then review how you arrived at those strings. Remember, the 2nd string is backwards from first string. The first string is "0x" followed by (vendor id) followed by (device id). The second string is "0x" followed by (device id) followed by (vendor id).

Go back into the files and verify that things look right. Indenting is consistent, nothing seems to be out of place, no extra spaces, no extra characters.

Good luck!

After 2 days of tinkering and crashing my osx installation it worked but still can some one try to post how to get the line in working thnx in advance :D

i'm not sure if there will ever be

Need Help to get this working! Have a Asus P5WD2-E Premium with ALC882M. Did Rammjet guide, after restart, no errors but still no sound from any Sound jack!!

<key>IOHDAudioCodecVendorID</key>?<string>0x10ec0882</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>?<string>0x27d88086</string>

PLS Help!!!

<key>IOHDAudioCodecVendorID</key>?<string>0x10ec0882</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>?<string>0x27d88086</string>

If these are the actual strings from your info.plists, then 2 things bother me. What is that question mark (?) doing in there? And why isn't the <string> below the <key>? You must maintain the formatting and indenting of the info.plist.

It should look like this:

<string>AppleAzaliaAudioCodecALC880</string>
		<key>IOHDAudioCodecVendorID</key>
		<string>0x10ec0882</string>

and

<string>AppleAzaliaController</string>
		<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
		<string>0x27d88086</string>

If these are the actual strings from your info.plists, then 2 things bother me. What is that question mark (?) doing in there? And why isn't the <string> below the <key>? You must maintain the formatting and indenting of the info.plist.

It should look like this:

and

THANKS FOR QUICK REPLY! Yep, sorry I was in a rush and did a quick Copy of wrong code! Here is the right stuff! Looks the same as above and your guide. As I said, other methods caused error messages but your don't, so must work right. But Still no sound from any of the jacks? I did Permi repair and also disabled, then re-enabled sound in Bios, just to see if a miracle might appear. Must AppleHD.kext be deleted as per your guide, this I did or can one use it? You got the same board right? What Bios V. U on? Me 0604 Only on asus.com.tw site! Could this change anything?

then

Regards

1) Not my guide. It is aRt's guide as I explain in the beginning of the guide. I just formatted it and added the appendix to explain where to get the device id's.

2) My sound works fine following the guide. Yes, you must delete AppleHDA.kext in addition to the Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache files.

3) My mobo BIOS is v0601, but I doubt that this matters. Sound comes out of the sound-out jack (green).

Same here, though I did found something under Linux. And I have an AMD board with ATI chipset, so I have no clue what this other device is. I do have Windows, but I'm using (under Linux and Windows) my soundcard. But bad sound is better than no sound, so it would be nice to have the onboard stuff working.

Edit: Oh well... me = stupid. I should activate the onboard sound... works perfect now.

1) Not my guide. It is aRt's guide as I explain in the beginning of the guide. I just formatted it and added the appendix to explain where to get the device id's.

2) My sound works fine following the guide. Yes, you must delete AppleHDA.kext in addition to the Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache files.

3) My mobo BIOS is v0601, but I doubt that this matters. Sound comes out of the sound-out jack (green).

Hi

My V & Dev id's are the same as yours.

<key>Realtek ALC880/ALC860 Codec Driver</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleAzaliaAudio</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>10000</integer>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOHDAudioCodecDevice</string>

</dict>

&

I followed every step and tried it over and over again. OS X shows the following error Message.

*The system extension “/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOHDAudioFamily.kext“ was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update.

*The system extension “/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext“ was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update.

I did Disk Per Repair, Help???

I followed every step and tried it over and over again. OS X shows the following error Message.

*The system extension “/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOHDAudioFamily.kext“ was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update.

*The system extension “/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext“ was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update.

The error messages mean you have somehow corrupted the kexts. Continuing to edit them without fixing the corruption is futile. You should replace the kexts and edit them again.

One way to replace the kexts: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=174836

The error messages mean you have somehow corrupted the kexts. Continuing to edit them without fixing the corruption is futile. You should replace the kexts and edit them again.

One way to replace the kexts: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=174836

Thanks.

Always best to just do a clean install. Doing this now and will try again! Will update you later.

U Rock, Thanks man...

I am running 10.4.3 and upon install my ALC880 output worked perfectly for 2 days. Then while I was watching a video when the volume control disappeared from the taskbar and has not come back since.

Sound Specs:

Mobo: Abit AA8XE

DeviceID: 0880

VenderID: 10ec

I have tried the Guide Rammjet posted and still no audio. Here are the ids i tried

The follow Settings did not work

AudioAzaliaAudio.kext

- IOHDAudioCodecVendorID

- 0x10ec0880

- IOPCIPrimaryMatch

- 0x088010ec

AudioAzaliaAudio.kext

- IOHDAudioCodecVendorID

- 0x10ec0880

- IOPCIPrimaryMatch

- 0x27d88086

I also tried the AppleHDA.kext changes however I always got a kernel panic using that method.

If anyone has anything else I can try it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mike