Time machine doesn't properly backup

Vert

24 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I just got my Hackintosh to work almost 100% under Chameleon 2.0 RC3.

I have updated successfully into 10.6.1. Just when I thought I'd start using Time Machine, it doesn't backup. It would countdown as if it's preparing to do the first full system backup but when the countdown is finished, nothing happens. It will tell you when the next time of backup will be, but when that time comes still nothing happens.

Has anyone meet similar issues?

Try putting the time machine icon into the menubar, and then clicking it and hitting "back up now."

however, I've been having a problem where i can't boot my restored TM image...on a GUID partition, it gets stuck loading, and on MBR, it gets a kernel panic. If you manage to get the backup good to go, can you tell me how the restore went?

Try putting the time machine icon into the menubar, and then clicking it and hitting "back up now."

however, I've been having a problem where i can't boot my restored TM image...on a GUID partition, it gets stuck loading, and on MBR, it gets a kernel panic. If you manage to get the backup good to go, can you tell me how the restore went?

Hey, I did try hitting Back Up Now but still nothing would happen except having another countdown. And of course I can't help you out with the restore yet. ;)

Thanks for chiming in though!

There's probably a problem with your ethernet card - look in your logs for UUID errors when launching applications. I had that with my EP45-UD3R motherboard using the built-in Ethernet - no Time Machine backups. I slapped in a PCI Ethernet card, disabled on-board ethernet, and boom, worked like a charm.

Tried all the UUID.kext stuff to no avail.

-Dan

I have the same problem as you Vert. I used that platformuuid kext too. makes a new back up of the entire system again Looking for a fix now

http://bluedog.com.au/default/Welcome.html

this widget reports

Starting standard backup

Couldn't find en0.

Backing up to: /Volumes/1500/Backups.backupdb

Couldn't find en0.

Backup content size: 4.6 GB excluded items size: 554.5 MB for volume Sn0W

No pre-backup thinning needed: 4.88 GB requested (including padding), 719.16 GB available

Indexer unavailable (200)

Copied 6 files (18.3 MB) from volume Sn0W.

Couldn't find en0.

Backup canceled.

and

the next back up

Starting standard backup

Couldn't find en0.

Couldn't find en0.

Backup content size: 4.6 GB excluded items size: 547.8 MB for volume Sn0W

No pre-backup thinning needed: 4.88 GB requested (including padding), 719.15 GB available

Copied 87224 files (3.6 GB) from volume Sn0W.

No pre-backup thinning needed: 100.0 MB requested (including padding), 715.68 GB available

Copied 130 files (97 KB) from volume Sn0W.

Starting post-backup thinning

No post-back up thinning needed: no expired backups exist

Couldn't find en0.

Backup completed successfully.

see what this widget reports about your Time Machine Vert

I bet we have similar issues. anyone see any clues? I tried searching for some of the reports but got nothing much

L8

http://bluedog.com.au/default/Welcome.html

this widget reports

Starting standard backup

Couldn't find en0.

Couldn't find en0.

Backup content size: 4.6 GB excluded items size: 554.5 MB for volume Sn0W

No pre-backup thinning needed: 4.88 GB requested (including padding), 719.16 GB available

Copied 6 files (18.3 MB) from volume Sn0W.

Couldn't find en0.

Backup canceled.

and

the next back up

Starting standard backup

Couldn't find en0.

Couldn't find en0.

Backup content size: 4.6 GB excluded items size: 547.8 MB for volume Sn0W

No pre-backup thinning needed: 4.88 GB requested (including padding), 719.15 GB available

Copied 87224 files (3.6 GB) from volume Sn0W.

No pre-backup thinning needed: 100.0 MB requested (including padding), 715.68 GB available

Copied 130 files (97 KB) from volume Sn0W.

Couldn't find en0.

see what this widget reports about your Time Machine Vert

I bet we have similar issues. anyone see any clues? I tried searching for some of the reports but got nothing much

L8

Hmmm. Have you tried adding a Ethernet EFI string to your boot.plist?

I wonder what's taking up en0 or what port your current Ethernet is taking up (You can look at your NetworkInterfaces.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration)

regards,

MAJ

Hmmm. Have you tried adding a Ethernet EFI string to your boot.plist?

I wonder what's taking up en0 or what port your current Ethernet is taking up (You can look at your NetworkInterfaces.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration)

regards,

MAJ

I used efi studio to add my ethernet card for snow. I had to do this for 10.5 to get the time machine working. It didnt fix the my issues though.

the report:

Couldn't find en0

This has something to do with my network interface? I would think Adding a string would have fix the prob.

Thanks for the input Digital_Dreamer

Hey guys,

I just got my Hackintosh to work almost 100% under Chameleon 2.0 RC3 with the hardware spec as follows:

Intel E8500 C2D 3.16GHz

Gigabyte EP45-UD3R

OCZ 8GB ram

GF9800 GTX+ 512MB

I have updated successfully into 10.6.1. Just when I thought I'd start using Time Machine, it doesn't backup. It would countdown as if it's preparing to do the first full system backup but when the countdown is finished, nothing happens. It will tell you when the next time of backup will be, but when that time comes still nothing happens.

Has anyone meet similar issues?

The issue I am having is that when I open up Time Machine no drive appears for me to select where I want to back up

Hey guys, I'm having the exact same problem with my TM continuously backing up my entire system. I made a post about it in the 10.6 Install forum to no avail.

I found this post after looking at my log file and also seeing the "couldn't find en0" error. I checked my library/preferences/systemconfig/preferences.plist and saw that airport is set as en0. I'm using a DWA-542 wireless n card which only works with a 32bit kext (used to work out of the box in Leopard).

I'm on a Shutte XPC SG31G2 with vanilla 10.6 / chameleon 2 RC3 and have the following kexts installed:

NVEnabler

dsmos

IOATAFamily

IONetworkingFamily

NullCPUPowerManagement

OpenHaltRestart

PlatformUUID

Sleepenabler

VoodooHDA

Anyone else have any ideas?

After looking around the forum some more I think the problem may be that my airport is set as en0 and lan set as en1. I've read several times that lan has to be set as en0 for TM to work properly.

Currrently my networkinterface.plist reads as:

Interfaces

Active

BSD Name

en0

IOBuiltin

IOInterfaceType

IOInterfaceUnit

IOMACAddress

ABsR6G6P

IOPathMatch

IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/HUB0@1E/IOPCI2PCIBridge/pci168c,23@9/AirPort_AthrFusion/AtherosFusionInterface

SCNetworkInterfaceType

IEEE80211

Active

BSD Name

en1

IOBuiltin

IOInterfaceType

IOInterfaceUnit

IOMACAddress

ADAbgeDe

IOPathMatch

IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PEX1@1C,1/IOPCI2PCIBridge/ethernet@0/yukon2osx/yukon/IOEthernetInterface

SCNetworkInterfaceType

Ethernet

I'm a little confused as to how I should go about correcting this though. Would switching en0 and en1 be as simple as editing the networkinterface.plist? I don't want to chance it blindly crash my computer...

Hi, this is my report

Starting standard backup

Couldn't find en0.

Backing up to: /Volumes/backup/Backups.backupdb

Couldn't find en0.

Event store UUIDs don't match for volume: Snow

Node requires deep traversal:/ reason:must scan subdirs|new event db|

No pre-backup thinning needed: 3.66 GB requested (including padding), 31.24 GB available

Copied 29117 files (2.4 GB) from volume Snow.

No pre-backup thinning needed: 793.1 MB requested (including padding), 28.59 GB available

Copied 363 files (333 KB) from volume Snow.

Couldn't find en0.

I think the difference is "Indexer unavailable (200)" I have spotlight indexing all my discs without none of them in Private.

Best regards from Spain. I apologize for my english

Hi, this is my report

Starting standard backup

Couldn't find en0.

Backing up to: /Volumes/backup/Backups.backupdb

Couldn't find en0.

Event store UUIDs don't match for volume: Snow

Node requires deep traversal:/ reason:must scan subdirs|new event db|

No pre-backup thinning needed: 3.66 GB requested (including padding), 31.24 GB available

Copied 29117 files (2.4 GB) from volume Snow.

No pre-backup thinning needed: 793.1 MB requested (including padding), 28.59 GB available

Copied 363 files (333 KB) from volume Snow.

Couldn't find en0.

I think the difference is "Indexer unavailable (200)" I have spotlight indexing all my discs without none of them in Private.

Best regards from Spain. I apologize for my english

to all you with this problem, there is a way around it. I went out and bought a USB ethernet unit. Radio shack had one for 25 (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2806154), thats the exact one I got. Get that and turn off your on-board ethernet card in your bios. Make sure you can do that 1st. My gigabyte had no prob turning on board ethernet off.

and dats how I solved it

I too am getting the "can't find en0" popping up in the logs. Turned off LAN in bios, TM did not work. Added a PCI Ethernet card, and that did not work either.

TM just sits in my menubar. Mocking me.

So your using this new pci lan for internet now? Just to be clear. Nice Avatar btw BSG rocks