Thinkpad T41 won't boot - to anything

agoraphone

4 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm very new to OSx86 but have been playing around with trying to get OS X on my Thinkpad T41. At this point I'll be happy to get just about ANY OS running on it.

Here's what I did:

A while back I burned IATKOS (v5 i think) to a DVD and was able to boot up from the DVD and run the installer. The installer froze up half way through so I rebooted BUT then it wouldn't start from the IATKOS DVD. I just got a black screen with a flashing cursor. I played around in the BIOS some, and used the built-in "emergency restore" which I guess was supposed to install windows on the hard drive or something. After I did that, I was able to start booting from the IATKOS DVD, but I only got to the apple screen with the "no can do" symbol (/) on it. Kept trying to reboot, but then i just got the black screen with blinking cursor again.

Next I tried removing the hard drive and doing a snow leopard install on it (with kexts, chameleon, etc mentioned on boards) but still getting the black screen with flashing cursor.

Now I'm trying to boot from a windows vista DVD and that's not working either. Black screen. Flashing cursor. I've tried the boot sequence with diagnostics on - doesn't seem to find any problems. I've got the DVD chosen as first in the boot sequence.

Anyone have an idea how I can get this laptop to boot again??? I'd love to get OS X on it, but at this point, I'd settle for Vista or even XP.

Ideas appreciated. TIA!

its probably your boot loader, what you need to do is boot to your Vista DVD straight w.o going to your HDD.

to do that, use like F8 or del or somthing. its diff for every computer but just get to boot to dvd.

PS go with win7, its awesome

its probably your boot loader, what you need to do is boot to your Vista DVD straight w.o going to your HDD.

to do that, use like F8 or del or somthing. its diff for every computer but just get to boot to dvd.

PS go with win7, its awesome

Thanks, but as I mentioned, I've got the DVD selected in Bios as first in the boot order. Shouldn't that make it boot from the DVD?

I can also hit F12 at startup and get a list of volumes to boot from and I choose the DVD but it doesn't work.