Help with ATI Radeon 4850 in Snow Leopard

kougei

43 posts in this topic

Congratulations,

To check QE/CI just play Chess from applications, a movie, a screensaver if it works then u have QE/CI.

By the way, Evoenabler works from /Extra/Extensions (my case) either 32 or 64 bit.

Thanks , I can certainly move pieces around, OK, so looks like it's all good. I'll checkout 64-bit, but need to sort out the networking which 'definitely' doesn't work in 64-bit currently.

OMG

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

It worked!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sapphire ATi 4850 512MB

>>>>

2. I downloaded Kexthelper and installed Evoenabler.kext and modified ATI4800Controller.kext

(I did this because I read in the digital_dreamer install thread that Evoenabler doesn't work in /Extra, as it's an x86_64 file and needs to be in /System, and as modifed ATI4800Controller.kext also showed as this type I reinstalled that.

4. reboot arch=i386

YAYAYAYAYAY Thank you soooo much

How do i check QE/CI ?

OMG

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

It worked!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sapphire ATi 4850 512MB

>>>>

2. I downloaded Kexthelper and installed Evoenabler.kext and modified ATI4800Controller.kext

(I did this because I read in the digital_dreamer install thread that Evoenabler doesn't work in /Extra, as it's an x86_64 file and needs to be in /System, and as modifed ATI4800Controller.kext also showed as this type I reinstalled that.

4. reboot arch=i386

YAYAYAYAYAY Thank you soooo much

How do i check QE/CI ?

It seems you run the CHESS program in Applications, and as long as you7 can move the pieces it proves the hardware acceleration is working fine

I have 10.6.1 installation and Sapphire HD 4850 1024 Mb GDDR3 graphic adapter.

Please somebody help me, I'm going mad. Because with standard netkas QE_CI_Exotic_cards_10.6.1 package I can only boot in safe mode or normally but getting the final gray/black with white squares screen.

I tried to add my devid to ATI4800Controller.kext file but it didn't work for me. Still gray screen.

By installing both EVOenabler.kext and ATI4800Controller.kext I have had some problems using the safe mode.

Could it be ATY_Init.kext. Should I remove it? Can somebody share a working package for SL 10.6.1? Please ;)

I have 10.6.1 installation and Sapphire HD 4850 1024 Mb GDDR3 graphic adapter.

Please somebody help me, I'm going mad. Because with standard netkas QE_CI_Exotic_cards_10.6.1 package I can only boot in safe mode or normally but getting the final gray/black with white squares screen.

I tried to add my devid to ATI4800Controller.kext file but it didn't work for me. Still gray screen.

By installing both EVOenabler.kext and ATI4800Controller.kext I have had some problems using the safe mode.

Could it be ATY_Init.kext. Should I remove it? Can somebody share a working package for SL 10.6.1? Please :(

For me all the files/kexts are original Native Snow Leopard files.

All i have then done is :-

1. Modify ATI4800Controller.kext and re-install with KextHelp

2. Download Evoenabler.kext and install with KextHelp

3. No other files (ATI_Init.kext or other packages) were required

ad 1: With what did you modified the ATI4800 Controller.kext? What did you inserted, etc..?

As documented in root post

Original :-

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x94401002 0x944a1002</string>

After Editing :-

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x94401002 0x944a1002 0x94421002</string>

• 1 month later...

Hello!

After installing evo and modifing the ATI4800 kext i reboot and it starts booting normaly and then black screen, monitor lose signal and pops a message from the monitor: Recommended resolution 1680x1050.

btw the hdd has activity!

is it possible that the drivers alredy have a custom resolution bigger than mine?

Thanks!!

Hello!

After installing evo and modifing the ATI4800 kext i reboot and it starts booting normaly and then black screen, monitor lose signal and pops a message from the monitor: Recommended resolution 1680x1050.

btw the hdd has activity!

is it possible that the drivers alredy have a custom resolution bigger than mine?

Thanks!!

this is what bugging me for a week now.

after i insert the extra key in ati4800.kext my monitor loses signal.

i've tried editing com.apple.boot.plist with <key>kernel flag</key><string>"Graphics Mode"="1920x1080x32"</string> but still i lose signal. I've tried evoenabler, deleting 4500 and 4600 ait kext etc etc

also -x doesnt work either. When i use "?video" at chameleon boot to see all the supported video type, 1920x1080x32 is there, all weird resolutions? :(

Hi all,

@muff : you also should install in your /extra directory the netkas LegacyATI4800Controller.kext.

I've got QE/QI working, my HD4850 is well recognized. But when I wake my mac after hibernation, I've got a video artefact ( blue images and mixed screen), I have to shutdown my system to restart it.

I also installed EVOEnabler.kext in /Extra.

Do I have to change something in the dsdt.aml file?

Thanks for your help,

Hi all,

@muff : you also should install in your /extra directory the netkas LegacyATI4800Controller.kext.

I've got QE/QI working, my HD4850 is well recognized. But when I wake my mac after hibernation, I've got a video artefact ( blue images and mixed screen), I have to shutdown my system to restart it.

I also installed EVOEnabler.kext in /Extra.

Do I have to change something in the dsdt.aml file?

Thanks for your help,

i do have legacyAti4800controller in /volumes/OSX/Extra

but the resolution that osx uses 1920x1080 @60 hz is ntsc format? My montiro says it doesn suppor it.

Whn i use remote managment i tried to change to a different resolution, but no change. I hve my sapphire connected wih vi to a dvi input on my samsung 22 inche 1920 x 1080 monitor.

Is there a way for me to fix this?

• 10 months later...

How to run ATI Radion 4850 HD 10.6.4 x86_64 ?

On arch=i386 working 1920x1080@32

HDMI - No signal

(VGA-->VGA) The VGA output only works when the HDMI cable is pluged in, when I unplug it, VGA output stops working.

On x86_64 Kernel Panic ... :blink:

How to run ATI Radion 4850 HD 10.6.4 x86_64 ?

On arch=i386 working 1920x1080@32

HDMI - No signal

(VGA-->VGA) The VGA output only works when the HDMI cable is pluged in, when I unplug it, VGA output stops working.

On x86_64 Kernel Panic ... :(

Scroll to bottom, Posted method for SL 10.6.4 and soon for SL 10.6.5