D-Link DWA-547 with Atheros 5008 will not work

stephanchen

24 posts in this topic

Maybe you should search the forum...

It's working fine in 32 bits mode only, because there's no 64 bits drivers available for Atheros chipset (look at Extensions in System info, it will tell you that AirPortAtheros is not 64 bits).

ok, thanks

i understand:

- new install

- edit com.apple.boot.plist with arch=i386, x86_32

- reboot

- dwa-547 will work

1) correct? no new kext needed?

2) where i must the kernel flag insert in my my com.apple.Boot.plist? :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Boot Banner</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

</dict>

</plist>

No need to reinstall, you only need your SL installation to boot in 32 bits mode.

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</string>

(i you use Chameleon RC3, otherwise, with PC_EFI it's : -x32)

Before restarting I should recommend to rebuild kext cache etc... (use Kext Utility).

FWIW, I could not boot 32-bit mode with the lifehacker kexts. They must not have included the 32-bit mode versions in their distribution. Once, I decompiled the mkext, found the 32 bit versions, and recompiled the mkext as 32-bit I was able to boot 32-bit and use my dlink network card with no problems.

Right now, my only problem is that the system ignores my kernel flag of arch=i386 from my boot.plist on the usb key. That said, I've seen some notes on it not working from there and it is no big deal to that in each time I reboot as I don't do so often.

i have modified

com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra folder

of my snow leopard-install drive:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386, x86_32</string>

after rebuilding kexts with kexthelper, i have restartet my computer.

but the restart fails ......

can anybody tell me, how i can retail-install snow leopard working witch my dwa-547-card?

i have used the files from the lifehacker-tutorial. also the dsdt.aml-file. no own compile.

files in /Extra/Extentions folder from lifehacker:

com.apple.Boot.plist (edit with 32-bit settings)

DSDT.aml

Extentions.mkext

OldExtentions.mkext.zip

smbios.plist

/Themes (folder)

I would suggest :

<string>arch=i386</string>

and nothing else.

except if you don't have Chameleon RC3, then it's :

<string>-x32</string>

And prefer Kext Utility v2.3 (search this forum) because I'm not sure that Kext helper is rebuiling mkext in Extra folder ! I've never managed to reboot in 32 bits mode until I use Kext Utility.

FWIW, I could not boot 32-bit mode with the lifehacker kexts. They must not have included the 32-bit mode versions in their distribution. Once, I decompiled the mkext, found the 32 bit versions, and recompiled the mkext as 32-bit I was able to boot 32-bit and use my dlink network card with no problems.

Right now, my only problem is that the system ignores my kernel flag of arch=i386 from my boot.plist on the usb key. That said, I've seen some notes on it not working from there and it is no big deal to that in each time I reboot as I don't do so often.

hi,

can you post your mkext-file for download please ?

thanks

Can you please try removing the hpet option from your dsdt and see if it then picks up the card? Apparently this helps.

Also does it work in leopard for you?

Ive got a very pissed off person i'm trying to help getting it to work because alot of people claim to have this card working but then say nothing else. 32bit is clearly not the only thing that makes it work.

flash

I do have the same card DLINK DWA-522.I believe it had the same chipset Atheros 5008,Snow Leo pickup right away as airport on 32 bit mode,but when I enable it I got kernel panic right way.Is any one get it to work properly please help.Thanks

disable ethernet ...

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I'm not running SL, just the latest IATKOS v7 Leopard (w/chameleon 3) and my system doesn't recognize any pci cards at all. My mobo sees the correct card, but lspci shows nothing.

I'm trying to use the D-Link DWA-547 as this was stated as working in the wiki (would someone please change?). I don't get a green light on the board or anything.

I've searched around the net looking for any glimmer of hope and have seen nothing. Can someone shed some light on this card please?

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD

2.93Ghz Core2duo

4GB RAM

9500 GT

Frigging DWA-547

Thanks in advance!

Mick

The card won't work for me either. I tried to manually add the Device and Product ID to the AirportAtheros kext in 8011 family kext, but it still isn't picked up.

Maybe it broke with 10.6.1 or D-Link released a new revision that ain't working.