Does your SL really work ok

starobrno1

12 posts in this topic

I´ve been trying out a few methods for about a week now but with no real luck so I´m beginning to think Snow leo is a bit harder to get a grip on than people like to admit. There´s lots of guides around, some with dstl.aml way (but the guides to get that working are actually mildly spoken really crappy) some without but you allways for some reason find a dstl.aml in there anyway.

Anyway lets talk about what you can and can´t do once you have your SL up running be it you managed to do with or without a boot 132 disc or whatever. Can you run Logic, record a desktop film in qucktime, open up a couple of safari windows, burn a two dvds using your two or more dvd burners you have in your computer and at the same time download and install whatever software you might want at the same time without KPs? I can´t and whatever I do I can´t even boot up without the GD dvd not if I wan´t the computer to boot up with my two videocards working like they should. If I boot with the disc and also in Leo they do work ok so there´s nothing wrong with them or the driver/NVinject.kext I use for them.

Sorry guys but I´m getting a litlle tired and pissed of here cause to me it looks like it´s all talk. Hell I even have problems getting two different SL installs (installed using the same method for both of them) on two seperate hardrives of the same make and type (seagate) act the same way.

OK so you get no KPs no matter how many apps you´re running at the same time. For example you can record your desktop in quicktime at the same time burn two dvds, install SL to a sep harddrive, download a file or two, have a couple of safariwindows open, do whatever other normal stuff one usually do (listen to music, watching film, typing or whatever), run two videocards four displays all at the same time and no KPs?

My setup works fine here as well, but it took a lot of trial and error to get to that point. No one said hackintoshing was easy :D .

Unfortunately, everyones hardware is different, so what ended up working stable for me, may not and probably will not work for you. Ultimately, you just got to keep experimenting until you (hopefully) get it working.

I know it can get pretty frustrating at times, but don't give up. Anythings better than Windows :P

What's your hardware? These steps below are what I do and I'm assuming your hardware is more or less in line with mine. Not a safe assumption I know, but I know this route is simple and it works. And I agree.. a lot of the info here isn't really written from a 'technical writing' point of view and can be hard to glean. I'm also assuming a minimum of unix/osx knowledge (like running shell scripts, how command line works, etc).

--

SL is working great here.. but in-spite of having very standard hardware, wasn't working for me until the real SL Boot132 was released.

Here's what worked for me; it's ultra simple, minimum fidgety, and really has only one step (DSDT) beyond a standard 10.5 hack installation, or the exact same # of steps as a 10.5.7/8 install. If you have 10.5.7/8 installed already, use your existing DSDT. If you don't, but you have Leopard running already, make your DSDT first - makes trouble shooting a lot easier.

1. Download, burn and boot SL Boot132. Swap for SL disc and start SL.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t184338.html (original SL Boot132)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t180954.html (I use this one - includes all of the kexts/tools/DSDT apps/etc)

2. Partition your drive (GPT) and install. After finished and rebooting, swap for your SL Boot132 disc.

3. When SL Boot132 loads, this time select your new Installation and finalize your install.

4. After setup is finished and you are logged in, install Chameleon RC3, copy fakesmc and openhaltrestart kexts. Those are the minimum you need.

�€��€� So far, this is exactly like a Leopard Boot 132 install (except for the new RC3 and kext) �€��€�

At this point, before going any further, make sure your system works. Add your EFI string for video/ethernet, etc. Run stuff. Make sure you don't have any KPs, etc.

5. Time for making a DSDT. This is actually pretty simple.

Download DSDT Patcher 1.0.1.e

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=38192

In Tools folder, do a ./getDSDT.sh and rename output to DSDT.dsl. Open your DSDT.dsl in Textedit and edit away. For my Gigabyte board, I only needed to edit Device (HPET) - reenable sleep - and Device (RTC) - fix cmos corruption on reboot. Check my attached DSDT.dsl for comparisons.

When done editing, do a ./iasl DSDT.dsl - assuming no errors, your DSDT.aml will be on your desktop.

Copy into /Extra and you should be good to go.

---

I use external USB audio ($15 on newegg) so I don't have to worry about audio hackery and I use EFI strings for video. I keep it as simple as possible because it makes troubleshooting and debugging that much easier.

Good luck.

OK so you get no KPs no matter how many apps you´re running at the same time. For example you can record your desktop in quicktime at the same time burn two dvds, install SL to a sep harddrive, download a file or two, have a couple of safariwindows open, do whatever other normal stuff one usually do (listen to music, watching film, typing or whatever), run two videocards four displays all at the same time and no KPs?

Yeah, actually, I can. Only differences would be I only have one graphics card, one monitor, and one dvd drive, but other than that, I have done all these things at the same time on my Snow Leopard install. lol

Hey guys thanks this is the kind of replys one like to get here, ever since new owners took over here this place has not been it´s good old self. I´m glad to see the spirit´s still on top and "new blood" take over.

First of all my first language is not english so please forgive if what I write comes out a bit strange. Second is I´m sorry I forgot to tell what HW I have and that I actually have managed to install Leo all the way from back in the Kaly 10.5.1 days over to retail 10.5.6 on if I remember it right something like 7 PCs.

My first was my old Asus P4 P800 SE mobo with a P4 3 Ghz cpu (still have it). That one worked so good I decide to get me another one and I found a mobo on ebay from down in Hongkong, the cpu (same) I bought here back home. Still have that one to and at the moment a friend of mine is borrowing it, he´s a poet and records his poems on it, really cool. I´m trying to talk him in to add video to his poems to that could be cool.

Well then there´s two of the mini itx cool intel mobos with onboard cpu and video, one with single core Atom cpu and one with dual core cpu (Atom). The first one I use as a mediacenter here at home, run it using my 42 inch flatscreen TV and the second I put together for my mother. That one has Dual boot both win xp and osx.

Well anyway my two latest hackmacs are one GA P35 -DS3R and one GA EP45-DS3 both with a Q6600 cpu and only Sata disks. These guys I run on retail Leo 10.5.6 and my main app is Logic cause I´m an amateur music kind of freak/songwriter. I have a Safire Pro 10 i/o FW and the M-audio delta 1010 and 44 pci and a phonic firelfly 302 (also fw) soundcard and all the rest mics and stuff/apps you need to make music. In theese two hacks I have two cheap noname 7300gs 512 mb pcie videocards I found on ebay (also from Hongkong), really cheap stuff but they work ever so good with a NVinject.kext I found here a few years ago and edited a bit myself. I even have a thread here with this kext uploaded to it, it also works with the GA Geforce 7300gs 512 mb pcie videocard and the PNY agp8x 256 mb ddr.

I am actually typing this from a SL install so it´s not that I can´t get it to work basically cause that´s no problem. and my two noname videocards work just fine (have 3 displays running just fine even in SL). But I can´t boot without the boot 132 disc and that´s the problem i can´t get over nomatter what guide I use.

Well I actually can but then I loose one of my videocards and the resoloution gets really crappy on the one I "get" and no PS2 mouse or keyboard no matter what I do or what guide I follow. I also have about all the chameleon versions there is.

What I have´nt done so far is taking that dive in to the DSDT.aml. Call me lazy it´s OK hehe

Have it good guys as we say over here

I assume you´re supoused to cd your way over to the DSDT_Patcher1 folder and then do the ./getDSDT.sh in terminal. For sure I get an outputfile but when I change its extension to .dsl and open it in textedit I get a very strange looking result not even close to yours.

5. Time for making a DSDT. This is actually pretty simple.

Download DSDT Patcher 1.0.1.e

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=38192

In Tools folder, do a ./getDSDT.sh and rename output to DSDT.dsl. Open your DSDT.dsl in Textedit and edit away. For my Gigabyte board, I only needed to edit Device (HPET) - reenable sleep - and Device (RTC) - fix cmos corruption on reboot. Check my attached DSDT.dsl for comparisons.

When done editing, do a ./iasl DSDT.dsl - assuming no errors, your DSDT.aml will be on your desktop.

Copy into /Extra and you should be good to go.

Good luck.

Sorry this does´nt work at all - do a ./getDSDT.sh and rename output to DSDT.dsl. Open your DSDT.dsl in Textedit and edit away.

Hi Starobrno1

I was having the same problem as you with DSDT files until I found this app iaslMe.app it can decompile/compile DSDT files for you so they can be edited easily in textedit. I did not create the app i think this was done by cVad. I can remember where i downloaded it from but can send it to you if you cant find it on google all the best