BootCDMaker

Trauma!

126 posts in this topic

Hi Scorched

You don't need a preboot image to build a bootable USB memory stick. The easiest way is to format your USB stick with a GPT, run the Chameleon package installer and point it to your USB stick. Then in the Extra folder, add all your files (com.apple.Boot.plist, kexts, etc.)

You can have a look at my GA-EP45-DS3L USB dmg I have in my 10.6 thread for reference if you like. See the Files section at the bottom of the front page post.

Hi Scorched

You don't need a preboot image to build a bootable USB memory stick. The easiest way is to format your USB stick with a GPT, run the Chameleon package installer and point it to your USB stick. Then in the Extra folder, add all your files (com.apple.Boot.plist, kexts, etc.)

You can have a look at my GA-EP45-DS3L USB dmg I have in my 10.6 thread for reference if you like. See the Files section at the bottom of the front page post.

Thanks. I was finally able to make a boot flash drive. I had made one before with a similar process but it didn't work. I think my OS X install was messed up at the time though. The only thing I can't seem to get working on my GA-EP35-DS3R is my SATA DVD-Drive in IDE mode. I had to set it to IDE mode for Windows 7 to install from it. But I can just switch the bios setting back to AHCI for the rare occasion when I need to use the drive though.

And thank you Trauma for a great utility!

Looks very good but i cannot get any files copied to the 'extra" folder.

I am running it from the desktop on a SL install, have tried copy paste,drag and drop, and keyboard shortcut for paste.

Any help will be appreciated.

Simply drag the app onto the utility alias or any where else out of the dmg... You can not run BootCDMaker from the dmg file because it's read only.

Great work Trauma!

I want to create a BootCD for SL.

As we know that the Graphics and Ethernet built-in injection on Chameleon2 are for pci0 only.

but my mobo use pci1.

How do if I want to replace it with the "boot" file of PCEFIv10.3 so I can use pci1?

TIA

Yes, that is better, did a clean install using IDE DVD drive on jmicron controller.

Have one small problem, when i get to "Disk Utility" one of my sata drives don't show.

It is an older 80 WD drive, i have switched sata ports but makes no difference.

Must be missing kext.

Good work Trauma, much appreciated.

Edit:

Got rid of that old 80 gb test drive, Boot CD helped install SL Retail perfectly on SATA replacement, no "Install Failed" errors.

Very nice indeed.

Spruce

Hi Scorched

@BlackOSX

Hi, I try the metod you suggest to put the Trauma Boot CD to an USB stick, but it didn't work for me. My steps:

Partition GUID the USB Drive -> Install Chameleon 2 RC3 to USB -> copy the Extra folder from the working Boot CD to the USB stick

The result: a correct boot. Then when pushing Enter on my OSX partition a rapid error appear on the upper left side of the screen: "can't find mach_kernel". Then the screen reset to the previous status. Another Enter and the system seems to start loading, but few seconds and the 4 languages "Need to restart..." error brings up.

If I push reset and restart with Trauma boot CD all is OK...

Any idea?!? Putting the Trauma Boot CD on a USB stick will be great for a fastern and clean boot!!!

Thanks in advance!

I will soon release a new version of BootCDMaker which should definitely fix EBIOS errors. Much thanks to iNDi for helping me to debug that part :) We will now be able to burn ISO on CD's safely.

I'll post the updated link soon.

Bye.

Hi Trauma, sorry if this is not applicable to your thread but can I answer this?

@BlackOSX

Hi, I try the metod you suggest to put the Trauma Boot CD to an USB stick, but it didn't work for me. My steps:

Partition GUID the USB Drive -> Install Chameleon 2 RC3 to USB -> copy the Extra folder from the working Boot CD to the USB stick

The result: a correct boot. Then when pushing Enter on my OSX partition a rapid error appear on the upper left side of the screen: "can't find mach_kernel". Then the screen reset to the previous status. Another Enter and the system seems to start loading, but few seconds and the 4 languages "Need to restart..." error brings up.

If I push reset and restart with Trauma boot CD all is OK...

Any idea?!? Putting the Trauma Boot CD on a USB stick will be great for a fastern and clean boot!!!

Thanks in advance!

I suggested to Scorched about building a bootable USB stick, but you don't want to do this by adding the Extra folder from a bootCD.

Are you attempting to build a bootable USB stick to allow you to install Snow Leopard from the retail DVD? if so then that won't work. You need to have a bootCD for that and Trauma's app will help you do it.

Or are you attempting to build a bootable USB stick to allow you to boot an already installed Snow Leopard system from your hard drive? If so then all you need is to install Chameleon (manually if you are using 10.6) on to your USB stick, add the RC3 boot file (or PC EFI v10.x), then add your kexts etc. to the Extra on the USB stick. With the USB stick plugged in, boot the computer, select the USB as the boot drive in BIOS and away you go. It will work :wallbash:

If you say you are getting "can't find mach_kernel" error, then you are selecting a partition without an installed bootable system on it.

Hope this helps, but if not and you want to carry on this conversation then maybe PM me as it's not right to hijack Trauma's thread with this.

Made one of my recent decisions on how to manage the resources on my RIG easier!

Thanks, made one BOOTCD yesterday and installed SL fine.

But I have an older RIG that isn't vanilla, so I need to use an alternative KERNEL.

Does this KERNEL should be placed on the EXTRA CONTENT FOLDER?

Best regards.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, i'm very surprised when i take a look on this video:

A well known here, named f41qu3, claim's he's the author of this app. This is, of course, totally false.

What we can read on his forum, (very well protected isn't it? check the google cache: http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:Fvqbl...p;client=safari

Due to the large number of people having errors with the BootCDs available, I decided to share the app that generates these CDs

HMBT BootCD Maker by f41qu3

What i can say... well done f41qu3!

f41qu3: you claim in your sig, i quote, "the truth is out there". Well, now it is!

Well, i'm very surprised when i take a look on this video:

A well known here, named f41qu3, claim's he's the author of this app. This is, of course, totally false.

What we can read on his forum, (very well protected isn't it? check the google cache: http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:Fvqbl...p;client=safari

What i can say... well done f41qu3!

f41qu3: you claim in your sig, i quote, "the truth is out there". Well, now it is!

Oh yeah this F*CKER deleted my post and my account on this brasilian forum, he really doesn't seem to like the truth to be out here lol

Is it a pain in the ass to credit people for their work ?

all that is really pitiful,

making up an application and claims it's your work... man what a f*ck is going on in your brain !! I guess you f41qu3 have a big issue with your ego.

First i was very angry to see this video one you tube, then i've downloaded the FAKE thing, and realized how badly it was diverted, man you could have take the time to "tune" things better... you did not even took the time to change the boot cd theme... for you advice f41qu3 the "DarwinX86" logo you've forget to remove is the brand of my team... pretty strange for an authentic HMBT product.

Shame on you f41qu3 and shame on your probably one man team HMBT.

;) this is really lame! Didn't saw that one coming...

oh well, one more to add to the blacklist.. shame...

Thanks again for the app, Trauma :)

Both app and resulting iso working fine. In fact, these pre-boot CD's are the only boot solutions i can trust atm

as a rescue booter, since i can't make a USB booter out of Chameleon/PC-EFI that works properly since rc2.

Edit reason: ..to cut a bit on the "drama" :P

Edited by Azimutz