• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

tdtran1025

tdtran1025

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
None of the suggestions or examples here work for me (grey screen hang). I am always able to boot using disk method with just 1 kext- fakesmc or dsmos. My board is Asus P5Q pro and it has been very vanilla friendly and I have never been stuck at grey screen before so I don't know what causes it. I even put in NVInject just to hope...The thing is I don't have any error show up on verbose mode.
Some body has to be getting what I am getting. Please share.

BladeRunner

BladeRunner

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 688 posts

Quoted form the first post :

I saw the comment about the kernel. I don't understand it. You can recognize a kernel with a regular expression like "mach_kernel*". You already have the code to add the rd(0,0) to a file named "mach_kernel". Why not apply it to files named "mach_kernel*"?

This is not a big issue, and can't the /Etensions folder be usefull to boot with -f flag ?

How could that be? Is the ram disk writable during boot? I don't think so.

Azimutz

Azimutz

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Interests:At the moment, OSx86.. In general, music, audiophile, computers.. to much to mention...
Hum.. be careful with the E/E folder guys. I don't know about the pre boot but, on my HD install, if i leave the Extensions folder together with Extensions.mkext, the folder is loaded instead of the mkext. And if i leave it "empty", it's still the folder that loads.. not pretty :P
I never use both, just left it there to make more tests later and just deleted the kexts.. again, not pretty.. took me a bit to figure out the problem, so used i am to delete Extensions folder.

Anyway, i got a better one to share with you guys.. it seems Trauma must be doing some magic on the app :) voodoo, or something...
Well, while the DVD is loading i get these yellow messages (long time no see) about aicpmanagement.kext not loading and more surprisingly, also messages about no HPET available, that i never had. I found this very strange and decided to try boot without Disabler.. got this feeling.. and the damn thing just boots :( no kp and still the yellow messages.
Trauma, what have you done, mate?!? i want my kp back :D
I'm not kidding on this...!!

Trauma!

Trauma!

Took too much...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts
Hey,

Ok, Extensions folder removing after mkext packing done. I also added few things to the app :

• BootCDMaker now can erase|burn the ISO instantly after its creation.
  • Extensions folder cleanup after mkext packing.
  • Few plist options added : DropSSDT, EHCIacquire,UHCIreset, Kernel Flags, Legacy Logo

I've fixed Applescript errors when using from 10.5, and clean up a bit the code (again).

It's steel need some more tests before next release.

I saw the comment about the kernel. I don't understand it. You can recognize a kernel with a regular expression like "mach_kernel*". You already have the code to add the rd(0,0) to a file named "mach_kernel". Why not apply it to files named "mach_kernel*"?

Well it easier to rename the kernel file to the "supported" name as it's to implement it. :) I'll think about that but using wildcards in a bash script isn't easy as that.

And if i change the code on this feature, i think i will use a file selection popup or a text input dialog.

Anyway, i got a better one to share with you guys.. it seems Trauma must be doing some magic on the app voodoo, or something...

If id did i swear it was conscienceless ;) I'll think about this strange legacy behavior. It might be related to the ramdisk loading.

Cheers guys.

Azimutz

Azimutz

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Interests:At the moment, OSx86.. In general, music, audiophile, computers.. to much to mention...

If id did i swear it was conscienceless :P I'll think about this strange legacy behavior. It might be related to the ramdisk loading.

Cheers guys.

I'm sure you didn't do it on purpose :) the voodoo man here is me..
I forgot to use kexts/kernel according to retail version, 10.5.4.. was using 5.8 ones :P i need osx86 vacations!!
I still have some errors about not finding library/startupitems (folder is there) and mDNSResponder. Nothing serious.
Will take a better look next round...

Stay safe..

vbetts

vbetts

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts
Here's a quick question I have, but could this be used to boot up a usb drive with the sl image mounted? I don't have a dual layer dvd burner sadly, and I have a 32 gb usb drive.

Trauma!

Trauma!

Took too much...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts
vbetts,

Basically yes, restore the dmg to your USB key and the CD will boot it. you can also install chameleon alongside SL on the USB key.

Regarding BootCDMaker i've just updated the software to release 1.1, nices new features on the menu :)
First post updated.

Bye.

afiser

afiser

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
i get an EBIOS error 0x09 with both legacy and default mode... help much appreciated. the disc is clean and i just verified the md5 sum once again so im fairly sure its not the disc.

BladeRunner

BladeRunner

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 688 posts
I just finished testing the new version 1.1. I placed the following files in "Extra Contents" and ran the app.
com.apple.Boot.plist
dsdt.aml 
mach_kernel
smbios.plist
Extensions/
It asked about the various Boot.plist options and also if I wanted custom kernel options. A few seconds later I had a bootCD.iso file. I checked the content of the Preboot.dmg file and everything looked good. I burned the CD using Disk utility and restarted the system. I got a never ending list of bios errors.

I rebooted the system and used Toast 10 to burn another CD. When I restarted the system this new CD loaded without any Bios Errors. Swapped the CD with the SL install DVD, pressed F5 and It continued the boot to the OS X Installer without any problem.

I must admit, this is very easy to sue once you have the required set of support kext identified.

I have no idea why burning the CD with disk utility would result in bios errors and Toast would not. Strange.

afiser

afiser

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
i used toast and i still got the error. in fact for some reason i cannot use disk utility, mac refuses to support my drive.

Azimutz

Azimutz

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
Disk Utility is made to support drives Apple use on their machines so, it's not surprising that it doesn't support (or gives troubles with) other drives, specially IDE drives. My SATA drive works fine but, it shows all the time on DU "Burn Support: Unsupported" (though on System Profiler shows "Burn Support: Yes (Generic Drive Support)"). The tendency here is to get worse.. On Snow, most of the IDE support was dumped so, people with IDE drives are going to have troubles.

Toast uses his own drivers to control burners, mount images, etc.. it doesn't use any of the system resources. If you guys still have troubles with discs burned with Toast, suspect of your driver!
It's "probably" not BootCDMaker's fault.
All i can suggest is, use SATA drives in AHCI mode as much as you can! For CD/DVD drives try using another controller if you mobo has one (jmicro, etc..). Else look/wait for patched drivers or use USB to restore the OS X installer image (maybe that works).

Edited by Azimutz, 15 September 2009 - 07:25 AM.

BladeRunner

BladeRunner

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 688 posts

Disk Utility is made to support drives Apple use on their machines so, it's not surprising that it doesn't support (or gives troubles with) other drives, specially IDE drives. My SATA drive works fine but, it shows all the time on DU "Burn Support: Unsupported" (though on System Profiler shows "Burn Support: Yes (Generic Drive Support)"). The tendency here is to get worse.. On Snow, most of the IDE support was dumped so, people with IDE drives are going to have troubles.

Toast uses his own drivers to control burners, mount images, etc.. it doesn't use any of the system resources. If you guys still have troubles with discs burned with Toast, suspect of your driver!
It's not BootCDMaker's fault.
All i can suggest is, use SATA drives in AHCI mode as much as you can! For CD/DVD drives try using another controller if you mobo has one (jmicro, etc..). Else look/wait for patched drivers or use USB to restore the OS X installer image (maybe that works).

I wouldn't use the word "fault". I don't know if the bios errors are an artifact of the way the iso is created or not. Still, I do have other preboot disks burned under SnowLeo using disk utility and they don't experience the bios errors. I plan to make another test where the BootCDmaker app burns the CD directly and see if that makes a difference.

Both my HDD and DVD drive are SATA drives. However the only SATA option I have is IDE/ICH5. That's why I need to use a patched copy of AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

Edit Update: I just finished running a test where I allowed the BootCDmaker app to initiate the burn process. I first inserted a blank CD-R disk and it kept being ejected. Next, I inserted a used DVD-RW disk and it was accepted, erased and burned. when I rebooted the system using that BootCD there were NO bios errors.

Therefore, one can conclude that the bios errors are either related to non re-writable media or the way the burn process is initiated - or the phases of the moon :P

shardie

shardie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
Worked perfect for me on my Gigabyte GA-EG31M-S2 motherboard.

After installing and booting into SL, I copied my dsdt.aml and extras folder to SL and it booted without the boot cd.

BladeRunner

BladeRunner

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 688 posts
I did some additional testing with disk utility burning the bootCD. When I used a DVD media, either -R or -RW the system boots without any ebios read errors. If I used a CD media and the BootCDmaker iso I got an endless string of ebios read errors. I don't currently have any CD-RW media so I couldn't test that.

I also created a preboot CD using the Chameleon boot-132 package. With that one I got 3 or 4 ebios read errors on a CD media but then the Chameleon boot prompt came up and it worked. That could be because it uses a different cdboot module or there may be some differences in the command used to create the iso file. For reference, the command used to create the boot-132 iso is:
hdiutil makehybrid -o cdboot.iso cdboot/ -iso -hfs -joliet -eltorito-boot cdboot/cdboot -no-emul-boot -hfs-volume-name "SL boot132" -joliet-volume-name "SL boot132"
Only Trauma! could say if there is any difference there.

Trauma!

Trauma!

Took too much...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts
Well that's actually the exact same command to create the ISO file. What i can see is the "cdboot" used by "the Chameleon boot-132 package" is older than the one i've included in the app.

Thanks guys to look after this EBIOS errors source, i hope we will find a solution soon. But it's look like symptoms are really differents from one case to another. That's wired. I'll try to burn the iso on a CD here, cause i never had a single EBIOS error here (i'm using a DVD-RW).

About the burning feature of BootCDMaker, it can in fact only burn RW media for now. Don't worry i'll fix this soon.

Azimutz

Azimutz

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
Just a quick stop by...

Trauma.. Burn feature with CD-RW (that's all i've been using), only erases the media, even when it's erased :rolleyes:

Gave it a try on Leo, had to use it from the Desktop folder, or it will not run (check attached pic).
I'm just mentioning this because, my Home folder is on a different partition.. on Snow it's set as Home on my account and the app works fine. Check the path to the app on the pic.
On Leo, the Home folder is on the same volume as system.

Still no ebios errors.

Attached Files

Swhay

Swhay

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Thanks for the easy to use app and to zef, sonotone, JrCs, Trauma for all of your had work on this.

This does not work on my system, just keeps rebooting right after the cd boots.

Trauma!

Trauma!

Took too much...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts
Ok i've fixed the issue about burning feature. Now you have the choice to Erase/Burn or Burn.

@ Azymutz: I was unable to reproduce this bug. I've executed the app from other devices, 10.5 and 10.6 and from various places. It's always work as long as there no spaces in the file path. Unfortunately i didn't fixed this yet.

@ BladeRunner : I've burned the same ISO to a CD and a DVD, and you were right there is EBIOS errors when using a CD, where all work fine on a DVD.

About the differences of errors number between BootCDMaker ISO's and the "the Chameleon boot-132 package" : i'm pretty sure this caused by the fact BootCDMaker ISO's use a custom theme. The is far much data to load from the drive than if you use the embedded theme of chameleon.

According this conclusions : errors are generated by the media type and the amount of blocks the loader have to read.

I hope we will find a fix soon.

Cheers.

BladeRunner

BladeRunner

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 688 posts

Ok i've fixed the issue about burning feature. Now you have the choice to Erase/Burn or Burn.

@ Azymutz: I was unable to reproduce this bug. I've executed the app from other devices, 10.5 and 10.6 and from various places. It's always work as long as there no spaces in the file path. Unfortunately i didn't fixed this yet.

@ BladeRunner : I've burned the same ISO to a CD and a DVD, and you were right there is EBIOS errors when using a CD, where all work fine on a DVD.

About the differences of errors number between BootCDMaker ISO's and the "the Chameleon boot-132 package" : i'm pretty sure this caused by the fact BootCDMaker ISO's use a custom theme. The is far much data to load from the drive than if you use the embedded theme of chameleon.

According this conclusions : errors are generated by the media type and the amount of blocks the loader have to read.

I hope we will find a fix soon.

Cheers.

By all means, let's keep the custom theme. I like it much better than the default one. The boot prompt instructions are a great idea.

Azimutz

Azimutz

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
Trauma.. and all..
Well, i haven't much to add.
Decided to partition HD, make clean Snow install (was still running updated one), refresh Home folder, get rid of HD installed booter, etc...
Perfect boot, perfect install, no glitches on Snow retail, using CD-RW. After reading you guys posts, i guess there's no need for me to try DVD-RW. Using DVD-RW is a nice alternative to CD-RW.. they always seem to me, to work better under OS X.

About the app failing to launch, let it roll.. if no one else reports it :) I can't try it at the moment because i removed Leo and i still didn't decided if i'm gonna restore it again.. probably. If i do, i'll try again.
As you can see in the pic, i have no spaces in the path.. i rarely use them to avoid problems.

As a side note, i'm still surprised by that voodoo stuff.. aicpm.kext wasn't panicing. The fact that i forgot to use matching version kexts, had nothing to do with it. Using matching kexts only gave me a cleaner boot. The hpet/aicpm messages only show when i use fakesmc but, even using appledecript and no disabler the installer still booted :withstupid:
Will give it a try later.

Now, going to set up the rest of the stuff on my HD..
See ya..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy