Out of the box Wireless-N snow Leopard Compatible Wireless card?

brendankoch

28 posts in this topic

My Dlink DWA-547 (less than 40 US$ or 40€) is working out of the box under SL but only in 32 bits mode (no 64 bits atheros drivers available yet). It's recognized as Airport and is a PCI card (Dlink is selling a PCI-E model too, same wireless chipset).

Does the Linksys WMP300N (either revision) work in 64bit mode?

(please reply ASAP as my dad is getting pissed at me 'trying' to run LAN cables round the house for my hackintosh :()

from the info in the last few posts, you'd see that rev 2 will not run in 64bit mode

Based on this post i bought a DWA-547,

It is not detected in either 64 bit obviously or 32 bit. abit miffed really.

Is there anything anyone can do to help point me in the right direction, do i need to add device id's some where or what?

flash

Does anyone know of any wireless-N wireless cards that work oob as airport extreme with snow leopard?

I've searched all over but haven't come across anything...

Preferably pci cards, but pci-e or USB adapter are ok too.

Thanks

Dlink DWA 552 or 556

552 is PCI

556 is PCIe

Works OOTB in snow leopard 32 bits... until apple releases a 64 bit driver..

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Is anybody has a result with a linksys WMP300n rev2 ??

The mine is causing kernel panic in Snow leopard when I try to connect to a network.

It's a problem I have too with Leopard.

In leopard I've to change the IO80211Familly.kext, but when I do it on Snow leopard I can activate the airport ...

Any idea?

My Linksys WMP300n-RM (refurbished revision ONE) works perfectly under snow, all I did was add the PCI string in the 80211 kext. Then I installed it back in /System/Library/Extensions (not in /Extra/Extensions/). Do a permissions repair, boot with -f, recreate your DSDT.aml with the card plugged in (note sure if this does anything but I did it anyway) and recreate Extensions.mkext

Good luck :D

PS: your PCI string thing could be different? perhaps check whether you can see "BCM43X" (IIRC) when you run lspci (OSx86 tools>View PCI

EDIT: changed revision 2 to correct info; revision ONE

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any way to load a kext in 32 bit mode, while loading the rest in 64 bit mode? I ask because my DLink 2320 (atheros 5212 chipset) works fine in Snow Leopard 32 bit, but not in 64 bit. Obviously I want to boot into 64 bit if possible, and plus, in 32 bit my firewire ports cease working.

HELP ;)

Dlink DWA 552 or 556

552 is PCI

556 is PCIe

Works OOTB in snow leopard 32 bits... until apple releases a 64 bit driver..

Kamikaze

would like to know how you get Dlinkd DWA 552 work in Snow Leo?Mine is

detected as airport but every times I turned it on and connect to a network

I get KP right away as is the same thing happened report by other user.If you

got the solution how it fix please let us know.Thanks

Get one of these: http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/MP2W.html

Then get a Broadcom BCM94321MC.

Both can be found off eBay - and everything works on both 32/64-bit kernels.

Is it working OoB, you sure ?

Just received my BCM94321MC. Shove it in my eee 901. It is indeed recognized as Airport but for some reasons I can't connect to any network...

I can see the networks, I can try to connect but when I enter my WPA password I get a connection timeout.

Any idea of what I'm doing wrong ?

• 2 weeks later...

The PCI Edimax nMax card is officially supported under Mac, and I have been using it since Tiger without a hitch: http://bit.ly/xB5tz ($50)

Only 32-bit right now with a Ralink 2860 chipset, but Ralink is hopefully working on 64-bit drivers as they have updated other chipsets with support. You can keep your eye out for the new drivers here: http://bit.ly/2fOnt5

:)

My DWA-552 is recognized as AirPortExtreme natively but I get KP/freezing as soon as I connect to a network and no problems if I'm not connected. Can anyone help me with this as I want my wireless to work and people have been recommending that card to the OP.

Thanks

Same problem (freeze/KP) here with Linksys WMP300N PCI (Atheros) as soon as it connects to a network.

We should try re-creating DSDT.aml with the card plugged in, perhaps in a different PCI slot, as it has been reported to work some posts above.

I am so curious though how it works for the happy ones :(

EDIT: I've just noticed the post refers to Broadcom based wireless cards :unsure:

Same problem (freeze/KP) here with Linksys WMP300N PCI (Atheros) as soon as it connects to a network.

We should try re-creating DSDT.aml with the card plugged in, perhaps in a different PCI slot, as it has been reported to work some posts above.

I am so curious though how it works for the happy ones :)

EDIT: I've just noticed the post refers to Broadcom based wireless cards :(

it's working brilliantly here, I'm using the card to post right now. But yeah, its the broadcom one. I got lucky when I ordered a WMP300N-RM (which is refurbished). Seems logical the refurbished cards will be the older ones, and thus the revision 1 (broadcom)

sorry but I haven't got the slightest idea on how to get your Linksys chips to work :(

nice :)

yours is only 54mbit but the ability to continue wireless after a system sleep is worth it.

need to get me the same card then..

errrr, its actually not 54mbit. Running at 130mbit currently (I'm miles from the router) and is actually draft 802.11n

I am so curious though how it works for the happy ones :P

EDIT: I've just noticed the post refers to Broadcom based wireless cards :P

Any chance you have an nForce 4 motherboard? Some people have been telling me there is interference between the ethernet and wireless pci cards on nforce bords making them KP. I would really love to get this fixed and have tried almost everything. Any help? :D