P5K-SE Snow Leopard 10.6 Vanilla Installation

JD Apolo

54 posts in this topic

I too am having the random KP after booting into SL for a few minutes. I'll just be doing nothing, and it KPs.

I am running p5k deluxe wifi/ap, C2De6700, 8600 and 8800 vids, 4gb ddr2

did any of you that had this same problem figure it out?

• 1 month later...

Good FAQ :) . I have allmost working Snow Leo. For my video GTX260 i'm used NVEnabler from kexts.com. But my network card Attansic L1 doesn't fully working. I have a LAN connection, but can't connect to VPN(use for internet) :( .

my conf:

Processor: C2D E6750

Mobo: P5K-SE

Video: Inno 3D GTX260

HDD's: 3x1Tb WD SATA + 500 gb seagate iDE

Ram: DDR2 800

DVD: SATA DVD-RW

P.S. sorry for my english, i'm from Ukraine. :)

hi there and thank you for a nice an easy guide :censored2:

i also get waiting for root..

i can see when i boot in safe mode "apple hda controller not found and kextd not available in early boot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello.

I followed that guide but when rebooted, I've got this:

ACPI_SMC_platformPlugin: :start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

I removed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext from Snow/System/Library/Extensions

I removed NullCPU...from Snow/Extra/Extensions

But still got the same message

How to solve it ?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for the excellent guide! So far everything is working flawlessly except my video card. I have a nvidia 8400GS that I get full resolution with "out of the box" however it shows up as:

ATI Radeon HD 4870:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 4870

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x06e4

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: 113-B7710C-176

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.318

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Display Connector:

I have tried adding EFI strings to my com.apple.Boot.plist using OSx86 Tools, EFIStudio and also tried a couple enablers (nvinject, nvdarwin). So at the moment I have a good resolution but no QE/CI etc...

Anyone know why my card is showing up as a ATI Radeon HD 4870?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Apolo,

great guide! It got me a nearly flawless Snow Leopard, with hardly any prior knowledge.

There's just one thing: I can only successfully boot using the -f flag. When I let the machine boot without it, it runs into the well known. 'Waiting on root device' error.

I could live with pressing F8 on every boot and entering -f, but if anyone knows a way how i get it to boot without it, I would be very grateful.

• 2 weeks later...

JD:

I've used your tutorial a few months ago and it works fantastic! My computer has been running for about 2 months now. The first few times I tried your tutorial, things didn't work; I'm not sure why, but now things work very well. Thanks again!

Hi everybody! From the tenth time i've GOT Snow Leo!!!! Fully worked. Now I write from the snow leo. Only one but the difficult problem - my NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT. Everything that I do - uselessly! I tried EFI Studio - no. OSX86Tool - no. NVKUSH metod - no. NVINJECT - no. UINSTALLER - no. I have resolution 1280x1024 and that's all! In hardware window i see that my video have a name ATI Radeon HD 4870. How can i resolve it? Any ideas?

I've got my video is fully worked!!!Write special for users,who have P5K-SE & GeForce 9800GT(i'm not sure about other geforce cards).You must DELETE only one file from directory Snow Leo HD>Extra folder>EVOenabler.kext Then fix permissions with KextUtility. Reboot. That's all what you must to do. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Apolo,

My name is Joaquim Morgado from Portugal and I follow your guide, but I'm stuck in item 7 because i cannot reboot. it shows the Apple image and nothing goes further.

What it goes wrong?

Need some help.

My setup is:

Mother board: P5K-SE

Processor: Intel Core2 Duo 2.33 Ghz

RAM: 4x1GB

Graphic Card: Asus Geforce 8600 GT 256 Mb

Snow HD: SATA1

DVD: SATA1 DVDRW

Thanks.

my email is joaquim.morgado@netcabo.pt

Boas Joaquim!

You must have to edit AGAIN the Info.plist of PlatformUUID.kext (right-click on the file then choose Show Package Contents) AND of the file com.apple.Boot.plist too both from the Extra folder.

Hi Apolo,

My name is Joaquim Morgado from Portugal and I follow your guide, but I'm stuck in item 7 because i cannot reboot. it shows the Apple image and nothing goes further.

What it goes wrong?

Need some help.

My setup is:

Mother board: P5K-SE

Processor: Intel Core2 Duo 2.33 Ghz

RAM: 4x1GB

Graphic Card: Asus Geforce 8600 GT 256 Mb

Snow HD: SATA1

DVD: SATA1 DVDRW

Thanks.

my email is joaquim.morgado@netcabo.pt

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your guide JD!

I've been putting off going from 10.5.8 to 10.6 for a while and decided to give it a try. Your guide worked flawlessly!

As I have an nVidia GeForce 8800GTS 512, I removed the EVOenabler.kext as mentioned above by Ibananov and after using my own dsdt.aml, edited the com.apple.Boot.plist with this additional entry:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

Everything works perfectly!

• 2 weeks later...
Hello.

I followed that guide but when rebooted, I've got this:

ACPI_SMC_platformPlugin: :start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

I removed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext from Snow/System/Library/Extensions

I removed NullCPU...from Snow/Extra/Extensions

But still got the same message

How to solve it ?

Thanks.

It's normal when u have no AppleIntelCPUPM or have NullCPUPM, which disables AppleIntelCPUPM. It's useful when you have no DSDT patch for HPET and processor section.

To all guys with still waiting for root device! You must add device id to AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext, which is inside IOATAFamily.kext. Info.plist says ICH8, and it's PCIPrimaryMatch is 0x28828086, and it's needed to add 0x29218086 0x29268086 (don't remember exactly). Or copy all the ICH8 and paste it as ICH9 2-port. I don't konw why, but it loads only with the -f flag.

It works on my friend's machine.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm sorry but can somebody clarify this tutorial?

1. Partition the Snow Leopard HD as GUID **I used a single partition but I think it can work in an HDD with more than 1 partition

2. In your working Leopard, open the Snow Leo image then open OSInstall.mpkg (Command+Shift+G to /Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/)

3. Follow with the installation process and chose custom install and unselect everything except Additional Fonts then install

what is the snow leopard hd? and it goes directly to in your working snow leopard version do the following. so is this after having installed the snow leopard onto a pc or is it something I have to do on my MacBook pro with the dmg file?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. i've tried to install SL on MBR partition with modified osinstall.mpkg (cause it install only on GUID) and got still waiting for..

uuid i wrote in PlatformUUID.kext and com.apple.Boot.plist with fixed permissions. any ideas? thanks.

• 2 months later...
my also. "still waiting for root device"

on first boot.

This board is a bit of a problem as you can't set the SATA to AHCI in the bios, only available option is IDE. I installed Snow Leopard from the iATKOS S3 V2 distro and finally got passed "still waiting for root device" by selecting 'Intel SATA/IDE' (was about to give up)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

hi all

installed 10.6.3 retail (The [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] + [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] ) on P5K-SE with modiffied bios that enable AHCI in bios all was great ( got Nvidia GT240 work oob) lan need eazy pach (kext site) only problem is Sound after ud to 10.6.7 since now can t made it to work if any one can help pls used too many ones but none worked)

mobos is

Asus P5K SE

/ Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300, 2500 MHz

/ 4096 Mo (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)

/ AMI bios modified (AHCI enable)

/ NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 - 1Go

/ Sound : Realtek ALC883 @ Intel 82801IB ICH9 <-- Need help not working on snow leopard 10.6.7

/ Lan Atheros L1 Gigabit

• 3 weeks later...
hi all

installed 10.6.3 retail (The [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] + [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] ) on P5K-SE with modiffied bios that enable AHCI in bios all was great ( got Nvidia GT240 work oob) lan need eazy pach (kext site) only problem is Sound after ud to 10.6.7 since now can t made it to work if any one can help pls used too many ones but none worked)

mobos is

Asus P5K SE

/ Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300, 2500 MHz

/ 4096 Mo (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)

/ AMI bios modified (AHCI enable)

/ NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 - 1Go

/ Sound : Realtek ALC883 @ Intel 82801IB ICH9 <-- Need help not working on snow leopard 10.6.7

/ Lan Atheros L1 Gigabit

Hi,

I have 10.6.7 working with Voodoo HDA Audio full working! also Mic and Line In...!

Regards.-

• 1 month later...