P5K-SE Snow Leopard 10.6 Vanilla Installation

JD Apolo

54 posts in this topic

Hi! This is my first post here in the forums! I've been following this for quite some time now. It took me some time and some unanswered queries from the "P5K masters" to finally figure it out and have an almost perfect 64bit Vanilla installation.

So I just decided to make this Vanilla tutorial for Snow Leopard for users of P5K-SE motherboard since many of us are currently struggling looking for tutorials everywhere when there can actually be one tutorial where we could share our experiences with the board in using Snow Leopard. So here it is! :wacko:

By the way, I wanted to make this as simple as possible so that more users can follow it without too much complication. And, I'm just going to share the specific way I did it. But as they say, there are a thousand ways to skin a cat--and in our case, it's a Snow Leo cat. :P

Here's my setup:

Mobo: P5K-SE

Proc: Q6600

RAM: 4x2GB Corsair 667

VC: ATI Radeon 4870

Snow HD: SATA1 (Tried in SATA2 as well)

DVD: IDE DVDRW

Here are the steps I did:

1. Partition the Snow Leopard HD as GUID **I used a single partition but I think it can work in an HDD with more than 1 partition

2. In your working Leopard, open the Snow Leo image then open OSInstall.mpkg (Command+Shift+G to /Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/)

3. Follow with the installation process and chose custom install and unselect everything except Additional Fonts then install

4. After the installation, install Chameleon-2-1.0-r431 from the Post Install 1 folder

5. Next, replace the boot file in the root with PC-EFI 10.1 folder's boot file from Post Install 1 folder **Note that the root boot file is hidden

6. Then, in your Extra folder in your Snow Leo partition, delete everything then copy everything from the Extra folder of Post Install 1 folder **The dsdt.aml "might" not work with your specific setup so just use the DSDT app to generate your own dsdt.aml file then put it in the Extra folder too

7. We're ready to reboot! Just make sure to flag -f -v (no need for -x32 since we can boot natively in 64bit :)

8. After the boot process, we can now answer Snow's post install setup

9. Finally, we're now in Snow Leopard's desktop. Almost done now. Just need to setup sound, LAN, SATA3&4, IDE HDD & DVD (If you have an IDE like mine :)

10. So the next thing you have to do is, delete everything in your Extra folder again then copy everything from the Extra folder of Post Install 2. **Again, you might need your own dsdt file here

11. Install Chameleon 2 RC3 from the Others folder from Post Install 2.

12. Reboot, again flag -f -v to check if there are any errors and then cross your fingers. :)

13. If you are able to boot into the desktop again, good! If not, report so here so we can figure out what might went wrong.

14. Go to S/L/E folder in Others from Post Install 2 folder. Drag the 3 kext files to Kext Helper b7 and install them. **These 3 kexts should be installed directly into your S/L/E folder in your Snow Leo partition.

15. Double-click the prefPane file from the same folder.

16. Open the 32- or 64-bit Kernel Startup Mode Selector app in the same folder then choose "start in 64bit mode"

17. Restart and again flag -f -v for errors, then cross your fingers again.

18. That's it! You've got an almost perfectly working Snow Leo vanilla install in your Hackintosh! :)

Why almost? Well, here are the things working from the setup we've just built. All SATA ports (1-4), IDE (both esp if your DVD is IDE like mine), LAN, Video (QE/CI), and Audio out in back panel and headphones. Mic is not working yet as well as Autosensing. But I think the reason here is because the 64bit audio kext is not the official one released by the Voodoo team yet (or at least that's what I'm supposing).

And no, I think it's still too early to ask for the sleep function to work. Though I'd love to hear from someone who discovers a way to do so for our board. :D

So that's it! I hope many (if not all of you) get their P5K-SE boards working. If you have any suggestions or questions, let's share it in this post so we can help (or have help from) others in creating a perfect Snow Leo vanilla install for our Hackintoshes! Cheers!

Here's the link for the files by the way (please help mirror it as this will expire in a few days):

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jfequd

UPDATE 09/13/09

You have to edit the Info.plist of PlatformUUID.kext (right-click on the file then choose Show Package Contents) AND of the file com.apple.Boot.plist too both from the Extra folder. Make sure you update the mkext in the Extra folder btw after editing PlatformUUID.kext. Use the Kext Utility to do that.

For PlatformUUID.kext

<key>PlatformUUID</key>

<string>59271646-4C5F-3D17-8FEA-20903C07862B</string> <---EDIT THIS PART WITH YOUR UUID

For com.apple.Boot.plist (You can check your UUID through Disk Utility)

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>boot-uuid=59271646-4C5F-3D17-8FEA-20903C07862B</string> <---EDIT THIS PART WITH YOUR UUID

That should bypass many of the user's "still waiting for root device" issues.

Hi,

Thanks for your work.

I appreciate your effort.

You indicate that it is too early for the sleep function, short, you havent test it?

Otherwise try "SleepEnabler.kext" ie. "http://www.kexts.com/view/21-sleepenabler_%2832--64-bit%29.html"

Greetings,

Wally

PS. as requested here is a double: "http://sharebee.com/68669953"

Thanks for the mirror Wally!

Yup, I already tried installing that Sleepenabler.kext. There are two files I downloaded: One is 115kb then that one which is 135kb. I tried putting each of them, first in the Extra folder then I refreshed my mkext with Kext utility. Both files didnt work in that folder so I tried using Kext Helper to put each of them in S/L/E but still, no go for it.

When I choose Sleep, the LCD just turns off but all the fans and LEDs still work as is. Nothing happens if I move the mouse, type on the keyboard or press the power button. So I think it's a no-go for now for us. But well, let's just hope for the best. :(

When I choose Sleep, the LCD just turns off but all the fans and LEDs still work as is. Nothing happens if I move the mouse, type on the keyboard or press the power button. So I think it's a no-go for now for us. But well, let's just hope for the best. :(

Hi,

his reminds me of 10.5.8. without SleepEnabler.kext. That is exactly the same.

Gr

Wally

Really appreciate your work, JD! :happymac:

Will try to use ur guide to install tomorrow.

One thing I would like to ask, what is included in ur DSDT.AML?

I mean the Lan/GFX/Audio and the CMOS reset fix, which is included?

I think other readers of ur guide also want to know these details.

By the way, which app u r using to generate the DSDT.AML?

Sirius

Hi JD Apolo,

Just tested your method and unfortunately it does not work.

1. The system hangs and remains report: "Evoenabler: Probing", overall the computer won't boot.

2. If I thereafter remove this kext driver (Evoenabler.kext) then the computer continues hangs on:

"Waiting on com.apple.AppleFSC Compression Type Zlib load succeeded"

3. I have tried an external driver.

Unfortunately also the patched "EVOenabler.kext" through "http://www.kexts.com/view/6-evoenabler.kext.html" does not work.

4. Obviously I have also rebuild the "Extensions.mkext" driver, thus without "Evoenabler.kext".

Regrettably this makes no appreciable difference.

All this applies to your guide: step 7.

Got a suggestion?

Thanks,

Greetings,

Wally

PS. My system works perfectly on 10.5.8. including: sleep, shutdown and restart > (also after sleep).

But that aside.

Really appreciate your work, JD! :P

Will try to use ur guide to install tomorrow.

One thing I would like to ask, what is included in ur DSDT.AML?

I mean the Lan/GFX/Audio and the CMOS reset fix, which is included?

I think other readers of ur guide also want to know these details.

By the way, which app u r using to generate the DSDT.AML?

Sirius

Thanks Sirius! I generated the dsdt file using DSDTPatcherGUI_1.0.zip from PC wiz.

I just used the generated file as is. :D

1. The system hangs and remains report: "Evoenabler: Probing", overall the computer won't boot.

3. I have tried an external driver.

Unfortunately also the patched "EVOenabler.kext" through "http://www.kexts.com/view/6-evoenabler.kext.html" does not work.

4. Obviously I have also rebuild the "Extensions.mkext" driver, thus without "Evoenabler.kext".

Hi Wally! The evo kext I think is for an ATI 4870 specifically. What's your video card? I think what you can do is remove it then install the driver specifically for yours. Either through other kexts or adding the GFX strings to your com.apple file.

2. If I thereafter remove this kext driver (Evoenabler.kext) then the computer continues hangs on:

"Waiting on com.apple.AppleFSC Compression Type Zlib load succeeded"

Which SATA are you using? Try 1 first because I also got that when I was trying it in other ports.

i got KP'ed several seconds after the launch of finder and desktop

i use it for sometime then boom!!! there KP comes

Which step are you already? It would be great if you could post a screenshot too. But I can say that it's already a good thing that you were able to boot into the desktop. :)

Anyway make sure you're not flagging to -x32 because that's how I get that KP before.

Guys, I think it would good if you could post a screenshot of where you get the KP and also which step are you already in. And your system specs too. Cheers! :)

Got it!

i've managed to complete the steps after 7th from my 10.5.8 system and it works like a charm

for still waiting for root device error you need to enter your drives UUID to com.apple.boot.plist and PlatformUUID.kext

you can check your harddrives UUID from Disk Utility by simply left clicking to it and selecting info. copy that id and paste it to com.apple.boot.plist and info.plist of PlatformUUID.kext.(you should add it to the guide some time JD Apollo)

you'll see some numbers and letters in the files that looks like familiar to your id. delete them and paste yours ;)

Thanks for the guide by the way!! very very nice work apollo :)

cheers

Got it!

i've managed to complete the steps after 7th from my 10.5.8 system and it works like a charm

for still waiting for root device error you need to enter your drives UUID to com.apple.boot.plist and PlatformUUID.kext

you can check your harddrives UUID from Disk Utility by simply left clicking to it and selecting info. copy that id and paste it to com.apple.boot.plist and info.plist of PlatformUUID.kext.(you should add it to the guide some time JD Apollo)

you'll see some numbers and letters in the files that looks like familiar to your id. delete them and paste yours :D

cheers

thanks for the suggestion.

i did put my hd uuid and its still the same.

other methods i used always kp'ed

this method seems to be the easiest of them all and hopefully someone can help me fix that "still waiting for root device"

May I know how to copy the PC-EFI 10.1 folder's boot file to the root of the Snow partition?

Even I make the file into visible in finder by using:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

I still cannot copy the file into the root.

It prompts me: The item "boot" cannot be replaced because it is invisible.

May I know how to copy the PC-EFI 10.1 folder's boot file to the root of the Snow partition?

first delete your existing boot then copy :rolleyes:

this method seems to be the easiest of them all and hopefully someone can help me fix that "still waiting for root device"

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem.

Apple usb ...................

still waiting for root device

I have replaced "EVOenabler.kext" and as bonjoey, integrated my hdd id in "com.apple.boot.plist" and "info.plist" of "PlatformUUID.kext".

Has anyone an idea perhaps?

Greetings,

Wally

PS. Who is actually already using Snow as his/her primary system?

I myself remain in 10.5.8. for a while.

I only use Mac OS X. neither Windows or anything like that.

Got it!

you'll see some numbers and letters in the files that looks like familiar to your id. delete them and paste yours :(

cheers

Oh yes, thanks acbardakci! I forgot about that part. :) You have to edit the Info.plist of PlatformUUID.kext (right-click on the file then choose Show Package Contents) AND of the file com.apple.Boot.plist too both from the Extra folder.

For PlatformUUID.kext

<key>PlatformUUID</key>

<string>59271646-4C5F-3D17-8FEA-20903C07862B</string> <---EDIT THIS PART WITH YOUR UUID

For com.apple.Boot.plist (You can check your UUID through Disk Utility)

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>boot-uuid=59271646-4C5F-3D17-8FEA-20903C07862B</string> <---EDIT THIS PART WITH YOUR UUID

That should bypass many of the user's "still waiting for root device" issues. Make sure you update the mkext in the Extra folder btw after editing PlatformUUID.kext. Use the Kext Utility to do that.

Thanks again acbardakci!

Hi Sirius, that's easy. :) Just delete the boot file in the root first then copy the new boot file. That's it! :)

PS. Who is actually already using Snow as his/her primary system?

I myself remain in 10.5.8. for a while.

I only use Mac OS X. neither Windows or anything like that.

I am. :) And jeez, I hope more people could experience the super snappiness of Snow Leo. As in, it boots in seconds! And almost all the programs, especially native ones like Safari and Mail, open in a snap--NO BOUNCING DOCK ICON while waiting for the programs to open anymore.

Currently working with a video project using After Effects, Premiere, Final Cut and Photoshop. And since I have to boot into Leopard sometimes, I get to really "see" the speed and snappiness difference more. So just hope for the best guys and keep on trying! Make my current experience an inspiration, and I really would, if I could help out more.

I have exactly the same problem.

Apple usb ...................

still waiting for root device

Can you tell me more about your system? Which port are you using? Which devices are attached? Make sure you update the mkext in the Extra folder btw after editing PlatformUUID.kext. Use the Kext Utility to do that.

On an ASUS P5KPL\1600 the machine autorestarts. CPU is Pentium D 915 1.8 ghz

Had same problem with kalyway 10.5.1 but then it worked when I selected kernel vanilla ACPI fix. Please help!!

Hi, I can't really answer that more because my board is P5K-SE. But if you could give us more info about your machine specs, maybe we could help too. Thanks!

Oh and it's JD Apolo (with a single L) by the way. Lol! :)

Hi, I can't really answer that more because my board is P5K-SE. But if you could give us more info about your machine specs, maybe we could help too. Thanks!

My system also autorestarts using Kalyway 1.0.5.1 but then it worked when I selected option kernel ACPI fix in Kalyway installer customize options. My computer 

Motherboard ASUS P5KPL\1600 (Similar to P5KSE in chipset) deteails here

Hard disk 250 GB Hitachi SATA

Graphic card XFX NVIDIA GEFORCE 8500 1 GB

LAN Realtek (works natively in OS X)

Processor Intel Pentium D 915 2.8 Ghz L2 4mb cache. 

I tried this method on a P5KC and it works. er...kinda. I have no sound and i cannot repair permissions under disk utility. Says no installation packages. theres is packages in library/reciepts however. Is anyone else having this problem? also getting kernal panics now. Anyone had any luck on P5KC? thanks

Hi forum members,

After some try and tests on the basis of this and some other tutorials on this forum.

Now I can boot Snow 10.6 properly.

Unfortunately I get in a few minutes after I've logged in, a kernel error.

That even if I do nothing right after the login process.

There are still many sharp edges.

Thus I feel that Snow is not 100% ready to operate on a P5K-hakintosh right now.

What do you think?

Greetings,

Wally

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there, I'm trying your install method at the moment and I've having some difficulties. I'm at step 7, and as I try to reboot into the new Snow for the first time, it just says very quicky "loading HFS Kernel" or something to that nature, then immediately gives me a black screen, at which point the only option is a reboot. No warnings, no errors, just a black screen. This is with the -f and -v flags. I'm installing snow from a different and working Leopard partition on a different drive. Any thoughts?