ATI Radeon HD 2600 on Snow Leopard

errandwolfe

46 posts in this topic

Please, i have satellite with hd 2600 but i can't make it work with 10.5 (ipc final release)

After install, the leopard hang saying i must restart the system.

Can anyone help me on this, on the installation everthing works fine but after restart my system hang. if i don't install hd 2600 pro the system doesn't hang but the screen is glitechd and i don't see nothing.

many thanks

• 2 months later...
I deleted the X2000 kext but i still can't change the resolution :2cents:

My radeon 2600 pro is id 9589, what can i do to change resolution?

Add device id to kexts and install Natit (don't remember what exactly but can get it from my friend if needed - he has 9589)

And it's hard to work without QE, so change it to 6600GT or 7300LE/GS - I don't think they're very expensive (6600GT is FASTER than 7300GS).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I truly wish that someone with the knowledge and talent, such as Netkas, could take some time to enable ATI HD 2600 users to have QE/CI support in Snow Leopard. It is quite confusing why this is so difficult. I have a board with a GMA900 working in Snow Leopard with full QE/CI.

I'd be willing to donate to this cause.

• 2 weeks later...

As netkas said before there isn't a way to get it to work. Snow Leopard no longer uses QE/CI. It has been replaced by OpenCL which is not related to QE/CI. As previously stated the 2600 HD cards are not capable of supporting OpenCL. The reason that the 2600 HD cards work in imacs is that they are mobility cards. Even though they share the same name they are different cards just like the 2600 is different from the 3870. So the fact that one works and the other doesn't means nothing. The reason that ROM dumps won't help is that the cards don't support the new OpenCL, so even if you have the ROM and the means to edit it nothing you do to it would allow the card to support it.

As netkas said before there isn't a way to get it to work. Snow Leopard no longer uses QE/CI. It has been replaced by OpenCL which is not related to QE/CI. As previously stated the 2600 HD cards are not capable of supporting OpenCL. The reason that the 2600 HD cards work in imacs is that they are mobility cards. Even though they share the same name they are different cards just like the 2600 is different from the 3870. So the fact that one works and the other doesn't means nothing. The reason that ROM dumps won't help is that the cards don't support the new OpenCL, so even if you have the ROM and the means to edit it nothing you do to it would allow the card to support it.

Thanks for the reply, but OpenCL didn't replace QE/CI, OpenCL is a technology that let the system use the graphic card instead of the CPU to compute complex calculation. If you look at 10.6.0 HCL (http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...10.6.0#NVIDIA_2), you will see that some card have QE/CI (2D and 3D Hardware acceleration), without OpenCL.

So that's right that HD2600 doesn't support OpenCL, but it didn't mean that they can't support QE/CI on snow leopard.

Moreover, HD2600 mobility and HD2600 are the same card with little differences, i have a 2600 Mobility, and i used the 2600 desktop driver on Leopard, the only thing that didn't worked was the internal screen, because mac and pc version of the mobility doesn't use the same connector for the internal screen, so the mac driver didn't find the internal screen.

But it worked full QE/CI and resolution change using an external screen on the VGA port.

So the question remain, why these card won't work on Snow ?

Thanks for the reply, but OpenCL didn't replace QE/CI, OpenCL is a technology that let the system use the graphic card instead of the CPU to compute complex calculation. If you look at 10.6.0 HCL (http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...10.6.0#NVIDIA_2), you will see that some card have QE/CI (2D and 3D Hardware acceleration), without OpenCL.

I have 7300 GT installed on the other computer, which works perfectly with Snow Leo (and also isn't support OpenCL).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
To post a direct answer to your question: There is no good solution. You should have read that you will be able to boot into a default video mode that is usable, however you won't get OpenCL (what used to be QI/CE accelleration supported) and therefore won't get QT or any other video enhancements to work. In my opinion, that renders everything pretty much unusable.

The issue is how the OS handles Pixelshading. Evidently Apple has not chosen to re-write the drivers to support the 2600 seres even though the Card's firmware is capable of handling them in the same fashion. Since Netkas has done work to support 90% of what's out there (ATI-wise) worrying about that last 10% isn't high on the priority list (nor should it be with the wonderful stuff he's spitting out at the rate he's doing it.)

Netkas probably won't spend a whole lot of time trying to get the 26xx stuff dialed in. for SL. He's probably figuring Apple/AMD will get around to it as the 2600 line was an official Apple product; I don't know for sure.

In any case, it may be a while. Its probably time to drop some coin on a replacement card anyway. If you're going to have a Hackint0sh for a while, most Hacks have GeForce chipsets. I'm a die Hard ATi guy (with a 2600) so I'll wait it out with 10.5.8 or drop the coin on a 4870 or something with more HP.

PAX.

S_L

Check out this link: http://store.apple.com/us/question/answers...C7J2JKCFDXU9FUJ

It's basically telling us that, yes, this card will work with SL.

Just wanted to share my 2 cents.

Hey Baley,

Uou just get confused between OpenCl and OpenGl, I assume what you mean is OpenGl not OpenCl. Then OpenGl is what make acceleration in mac (leopard or snowleopard) and so make QE/CI work. Only Nvidia since 8XXX series and ATI since 4XXX series supports OpenCl but just lot of other card could work with snow.

These cards are not 'supposed' to work (but who knows ?) just because Apple drops the driver in Snow.

• 2 weeks later...
These cards are not 'supposed' to work (but who knows ?) just because Apple drops the driver in Snow.

Well, that isn't entirely true either. I have an iMac 27" with an HD2600XT running 10.6.4 with full QE/CI. I have this exact chipset on one of my ATI HD 2600 XT PCI-e cards and it will not work with QE/CI. The drivers are there, the framebuffer or something else was changed. It would be nice if a Pro like netkas or prasys could figure this out.

Though, I too am sick and tired of people confusing QE/CI and OpenCL. QE/CI is still in Snow Leopard and was not replaced with OpenCL. OpenCL is an entirely different technology altogether. People need to get their facts straight before correcting someone.

Well, that isn't entirely true either. I have an iMac 27" with an HD2600XT running 10.6.4 with full QE/CI. I have this exact chipset on one of my ATI HD 2600 XT PCI-e cards and it will not work with QE/CI. The drivers are there, the framebuffer or something else was changed. It would be nice if a Pro like netkas or prasys could figure this out.

Though, I too am sick and tired of people confusing QE/CI and OpenCL. QE/CI is still in Snow Leopard and was not replaced with OpenCL. OpenCL is an entirely different technology altogether. People need to get their facts straight before correcting someone.

Maybe I'm wrong but I believed imac had a hd 2600 mobility which is totaly different of hd 2600 pcie.

• 1 month later...
Maybe I'm wrong but I believed imac had a hd 2600 mobility which is totaly different of hd 2600 pcie.

HD2600XT also shipped in Mac Pros for a while. I have one of these apple shipped cards as well as a generic "PC" one and i cant get either to work in SL on a hacint0sh. Both used to work fine in 10.5.

This is very strange especially since the mac version will work fine in a mac pro with SL.

It too is my wish that someday these cards will be brought back to life. netkas, are you out there? :(

g\

HD2600XT also shipped in Mac Pros for a while. I have one of these apple shipped cards as well as a generic "PC" one and i cant get either to work in SL on a hacint0sh. Both used to work fine in 10.5.

This is very strange especially since the mac version will work fine in a mac pro with SL.

It too is my wish that someday these cards will be brought back to life. netkas, are you out there? :(

g\

I don't know why netkas not explains clearly where is the problem in ati 2600 series. I think there is a solution because my mac pro support my ati 2600 xt. but it's not easy to find ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...