[ PRE-INSTALL AUTOMATOR v1.1 ] for easily installing vanilla snow leo.

dj nitehawk

281 posts in this topic

nice!!!

and i dont know... i personally dont update my hacks...

once i get them to function properly, i just leave em at that... i never touch working systems :-)

in ur current osx 10.5, is ur hdd detected as ide or ahci? does it say "xxx AHCI controller" in "system profiler" > "sata"?

or what does it say???

and what kexts are u using with ur 10.5 install? how did u get ur graphics working in 10.5?

its gonna be pretty difficult to get snow running on laptops in my experience... but not impossible...

have u tried asking other lenovo y300 users for help?

I noticed i dont have a Extensions.mkext on my system? should I have one?

Oh and now I dont have a dvd drive! because I deleted those files! maybe there a patch copy?

I noticed i dont have a Extensions.mkext on my system? should I have one?

Oh and now I dont have a dvd drive! because I deleted those files! maybe there a patch copy?

having an extensions.mkext is not compulsary... if u dont know how to make one, dont bother...

and yes... its because u deleted the whole ioatafamily.kext i think...

try only removing the stock appleinteliixata.kext and adding the modified one from netkas to /E/E

dude dunno what you meant so pls look at screen shot

i used i deneb 10.5.6 for leo

pls suggest some way

found this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...182887&st=0

try some of the stuff there... and in the meantime, download this and post a screenshot of ur devices...

http://rs768.rapidshare.com/files/271683580/DPCIManager.dmg

Just a few more questions.... :P

1. Do I have to have the " GraphicsEnabler=Yes" thing in my apple.boot.plist.

2. I tried to use the Natit.Kext for my 7300GS Card with out the " GraphicsEnabler=Yes" but it wont work with out GraphicsEnabler=Yes

2. What is /E/E is it Extensions/Extra?

4. How do I change the hard drive icons back to normal!!! hahaha I hate Yellow!

5. I think my system is booting into 64bit mode I took arch=x86 out of the apple.boot.plist?

1. Do I have to have the " GraphicsEnabler=Yes" thing in my apple.boot.plist.

2. I tried to use the Natit.Kext for my 7300GS Card with out the " GraphicsEnabler=Yes" but it wont work with out GraphicsEnabler=Yes

2. What is /E/E is it Extensions/Extra?

4. How do I change the hard drive icons back to normal!!! hahaha I hate Yellow!

5. I think my system is booting into 64bit mode I took arch=x86 out of the apple.boot.plist?

1: u dont have to...

2: whatever that works mate!!!

3: yep

4: use this kext in /E/E

5: if u want 32bit, put it back in...

try this first... this is from another thread for dg31pr... apparently this fixed their KP:

if all else fails, u might have to ditch ur ide drive and get a sata... but im positive that by removing the stock ide kext and replacing it with netkas's kext will sort u out...

Thanks, I'll try all this out, and hopefully it get solved :wacko:

I have gone through all the 10 steps and have completely gone through this particular forum thread. I have a different problem from all that have been reported.

Intel DG33FB mobo, Q6600 processor, Nvidia 9600 GT 1gb, 4gb Ram, 250gb Sata HDD, 80gb IDE HDD and an external portable 80gb HDD.

I use my 250gb Sata for Windows and have Leopard 10.5.6 installed on the 80gb IDE drive. I have tried other guides but this was the one which took me farthest. Thanks for the code again.

I ran your script and ripped Snow Leopard to my portable USB drive, it works great. When I boot my system using my USB drive it gose till the Installation screen.

Here as per your instruction I have to run the Install script once again, but I don't find any other hard drive or partition listed. I even checked it in Disk Utility, it only shows my USB portable hard drive and nothing else.

I don't know what is wrong, as I have enabled everything required in BIOS.

Can you help me figure this out....

thanks. APJ

Here as per your instruction I have to run the Install script once again, but I don't find any other hard drive or partition listed. I even checked it in Disk Utility, it only shows my USB portable hard drive and nothing else.

thanks. APJ

Snow Leopard HATES!!!!!!!!!!!! IDE! If I were you i would get rid of anything IDE! and go SATA II

OR us a patched appleinteliixata.kext in your /E/E folder (Extra/Extensions) of the installer drive

Good luck!

PS.....GET RID OF IDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Thanks dj nitehawk,

So far so good, but I have three issues:

A. I have to boot with the -x flag because my Radeon HD 3650 video card is not Snow Leopard compatible. If I don't boot into safe mode all I get is a black screen, I'm pretty sure it's booted, I just can't see it. Does this seem correct?

B. I am stuck at step #8. My USB Hard Drive boots into the Mac OS X Installer and lets me open Terminal - but it can't run the script. Terminal keeps telling me "No such file or directory". (I've tried using the full name, etc.) How do I get the installer to run, and can I do it after the OS X install finishes?

C. Disk Utility From the Mac OS X Installer freezes every time I try to use it, causing me to have to reboot. Weird, right?

Thanks again

Thats weird.... Only thing im concerned about is the graphics card not using the Naitit.Kext Im sure its using something else,

When I put the Naitit.Kext in my extensions folder it dont do anything? Maybe I need a extensions.mkext

extensions.mkext is just a cache of the kexts... so that will not solve ur natit issues...

ok so bottom line: if GraphicsEnabler doesnt work by itself (while natit is removed), just put natit in there...

if natit doesnt work without GraphicsEnabler, do use GE...

looks like there's some sort of dependency between them two...

graphics enabler only injects some device properties at startup so that the stock nividia kexts can detect most nvidia cards...

so if the auto device property injection works for ur card with natit (and not stock nvidia kexts), that is ok... thats why i said, whatever that works :-)

if u go to "system profiler" > "graphics/displays" what does it say under "rom revision"

it only shows my USB portable hard drive and nothing else.

what this means is snow installer is unable to access ur hdds cos it hasnt detected ur hdd controllers...

u and i have the same mobo dg33fb... and my sata disks works out of the box... go to bios and set drive config to use NATIVE and mode to AHCI and remove any ide drives until u get snow to boot... then add support to it later...

Thanks dj nitehawk,

So far so good, but I have three issues:

A. I have to boot with the -x flag because my Radeon HD 3650 video card is not Snow Leopard compatible. If I don't boot into safe mode all I get is a black screen, I'm pretty sure it's booted, I just can't see it. Does this seem correct?

B. I am stuck at step #8. My USB Hard Drive boots into the Mac OS X Installer and lets me open Terminal - but it can't run the script. Terminal keeps telling me "No such file or directory". (I've tried using the full name, etc.) How do I get the installer to run, and can I do it after the OS X install finishes?

C. Disk Utility From the Mac OS X Installer freezes every time I try to use it, causing me to have to reboot. Weird, right?

Thanks again

a. sounds correct... ive only seen these kexts for r.hd.3650... not sure if they'll work for snow though... have u tried asking other 3650 owners what they use for snow?

b. thats because u havent copied my script and accompanying files from your desktop to the usb drive. copy "desktop/snow-installer" and paste in "ur-usb-drive/" meaning top/root folder... it worked for everybody else, so it looks like u've either not copied the files over or copied em to the wrong place...

c. without using disk utility, type "diskutil list" in terminal... if that lists all ur drives, they are detected fine... find out from ur mobo manufacturers website if ur mobo uses intel/via/jimicron sata/pata controllers... and add kexts to support those..

if u go to "system profiler" > "graphics/displays" what does it say under "rom revision"

ROM Revision: xx.xx.xx - internal

Im just concerned that my graphics card isnt being used fully? do I have full graphics? for games etc? like in 10.5.8

PS.. I updated to 10.6.1 no problems!

I now have IDE drives! using the kext file from http://netkas.org/?p=125

64bit mode works but I get KP when using somethings like internet, Logic pro 9 etc.

so i went back to 32bit mode.

I now have NO yellow icons!

so thats me 100% running now!

EMU 0404 PCI Card also works in 32bit mode! (not 64bit as the KX Audio Driver is 32bit)

if anyone have any questions about the badaxe2 and how I done my system please let me know!

Big thanks to dj nitehawk for talking me through some parts!!

Im sure there will be more questions! hahah

ROM Revision: xx.xx.xx - internal

Im just concerned that my graphics card isnt being used fully? do I have full graphics? for games etc? like in 10.5.8

xx internal is what mine says as well... it only says that when using the graphicsenabler option... if i use efi strings, it doesnt...

i have full graphics (even though QI/CE info is not shown in system profiler anymore)... if launching the dvd player app doesnt give u an error msg, QI/CE is enabled... at least, thats what ive read...

64bit mode works but I get KP when using somethings like internet, Logic pro 9 etc.

so i went back to 32bit mode.

yep me too... some processor intensive things gave me KP in 64bit as well and i find 64bit to be not so stable on my system as 32bit... and my wifi card doesnt have 64bit kexts yet... so im just fine with 32bit...

so thats me 100% running now!

Big thanks to dj nitehawk for talking me through some parts!!

good to hear that and ur welcome...

u and i have the same mobo dg33fb... and my sata disks works out of the box... go to bios and set drive config to use NATIVE and mode to AHCI and remove any ide drives until u get snow to boot... then add support to it later...

I already have the drive setting as Native and Mode as AHCI. Should I disconnect my IDE drive till the system boots using my USB portable HDD (hosting installer) and then connect it? coz I think the system wouldn't detect my IDE HDD after booting.

As Logicpro8_user stated I have even put the appleinteliixata.kext file in my Extension folder. It did not help.

I don't have an option of installing SL on my SATA drive as it hosts my Windows, which i use for school work. My only go is with IDE drive.

Edit: Thought this might be useful: While booting, Chameleon detects all my hdds (Leopard, SnowInstaller, Windows).

Thanks for your help.

APJ

dj nitehawk you said you have the same DG33FB mobo, if that is the case can you tell me if the kexts that are in the "snow-installer" enough or did you install any other kexts for Audio, network etc....

I already have the drive setting as Native and Mode as AHCI. Should I disconnect my IDE drive till the system boots using my USB portable HDD (hosting installer) and then connect it? coz I think the system wouldn't detect my IDE HDD after booting.

As Logicpro8_user stated I have even put the appleinteliixata.kext file in my Extension folder. It did not help.

I don't have an option of installing SL on my SATA drive as it hosts my Windows, which i use for school work. My only go is with IDE drive.

Edit: Thought this might be useful: While booting, Chameleon detects all my hdds (Leopard, SnowInstaller, Windows).

Thanks for your help.

APJ

dj nitehawk you said you have the same DG33FB mobo, if that is the case can you tell me if the kexts that are in the "snow-installer" enough or did you install any other kexts for Audio, network etc....

You might have to wait for a Snow Leopard Distro then... a vanilla install needs sata drives. maybe there will be a fix somewhere, try google "Install Snow Leopard 10.6 from IDE" or something like that.

Or jst buy a new Sata II hard drive you can get 80GB one for very little these days. and while your buying that get a $6 SATA II dvd drive to match. you will be much better off with SATA for installing. Im not sure if SL will even boot from and IDE drive.

One thought!!!! TRY THIS!

on your IDE drive you prepared for the installer.

1. delete "/volumes/YOUR IDE DRIVE/system/library/extensions/ioatafamily.kext"

(YOU WILL HAVE TO SEE ALL HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDER TO SEE THIS AND MAKE SURE THE ABOVE FILE IS 100% DELETED!)

2. then add the patched "AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext" from http://netkas.org/?p=125 to>>>

"/volumes/YOUR IDE DRIVE/snow-installer/filez/Extra/Extensions" folder

3. restart and then see if it boots ok. It should.

Remeber to have your bios set to boot from this IDE drive 1st! and select

hpet(high precision event timer), sata ahci, intel xd(execute disable bit), intel vt (virtualization technology), acpi 2, s3 sleep state, intel speedstep if you have any of these!

You might have to wait for a Snow Leopard Distro then... a vanilla install needs sata drives. maybe there will be a fix somewhere, try google "Install Snow Leopard 10.6 from IDE" or something like that.

Or jst buy a new Sata II hard drive you can get 80GB one for very little these days. and while your buying that get a $6 SATA II dvd drive to match. you will be much better off with SATA for installing. Im not sure if SL will even boot from and IDE drive.

One thought!!!! TRY THIS!

on your IDE drive you prepared for the installer.

1. delete "/volumes/YOUR IDE DRIVE/system/library/extensions/ioatafamily.kext"

(YOU WILL HAVE TO SEE ALL HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDER TO SEE THIS AND MAKE SURE THE ABOVE FILE IS 100% DELETED!)

2. then add the patched "AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext" from http://netkas.org/?p=125 to>>>

"/volumes/YOUR IDE DRIVE/snow-installer/filez/Extra/Extensions" folder

3. restart and then see if it boots ok. It should.

Remeber to have your bios set to boot from this IDE drive 1st! and select

hpet(high precision event timer), sata ahci, intel xd(execute disable bit), intel vt (virtualization technology), acpi 2, s3 sleep state, intel speedstep if you have any of these!

I think I have miscommunicated somewhere. Just avoid confusion: I have my Leopard running on my IDE drive, currently I use Chameleon to boot my Leopard. I ran the script from Leopard and ripped the installation DVD image into my portable USB drive. When I restart the system (enabling everything required in BIOS and setting to boot using Portable USB drive), I get the Chameleon screen where all my drives are listed. I select my Portable USB drive (which hosts installer dvd) and the system boots to the installation screen without any trouble. Here I am unable to find any other hdd listed.

My observations:

1) I have a SATA as well as IDE drive, so if the IDE does not work at least the SATA drive (which hosts Windows) should have been detected.

2) I lent another external HDD (Western Digital SATA) which is also connected through USB. When I boot to installer it shows this external drive along with my portable drive.

3) I do not have ioatafamily.kext on my installer drive (my portable drive) and have already added AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext to the Extensions folder. It does not work, well actually I don't know if placing the file in extensions folder is enough or I have to do some terminal stuff.

I am googling right now and I do find people who have installed SL on an IDE. I will keep looking...

sorry for the long post, just wanted to make sure i was clear. Thank you.

I think I have miscommunicated somewhere. Just avoid confusion: I have my Leopard running on my IDE drive, currently I use Chameleon to boot my Leopard. I ran the script from Leopard and ripped the installation DVD image into my portable USB drive. When I restart the system (enabling everything required in BIOS and setting to boot using Portable USB drive), I get the Chameleon screen where all my drives are listed. I select my Portable USB drive (which hosts installer dvd) and the system boots to the installation screen without any trouble. Here I am unable to find any other hdd listed.

My observations:

1) I have a SATA as well as IDE drive, so if the IDE does not work at least the SATA drive (which hosts Windows) should have been detected.

2) I lent another external HDD (Western Digital SATA) which is also connected through USB. When I boot to installer it shows this external drive along with my portable drive.

3) I do not have ioatafamily.kext on my installer drive (my portable drive) and have already added AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext to the Extensions folder. It does not work, well actually I don't know if placing the file in extensions folder is enough or I have to do some terminal stuff.

I am googling right now and I do find people who have installed SL on an IDE. I will keep looking...

sorry for the long post, just wanted to make sure i was clear. Thank you.

Ok my bad... It seems that either you mobo is not picking up your IDE drive, does it show in your bios that the drive in connected?.

Try this again.

From your current Leo install.

1. delete this file "YOUR PORABLE USB/system/library/extensions/ioatafamily.kext"

(do you know how to do this?, show hidden files and folder?) MAKE SURE ITS GONE!

2. Then add the patched "AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext" from http://netkas.org/?p=125 to

"YOUR PORABLE USB/snow-installer/filez/Extra/Extensions"

3. at boot press the down arrow key to interupt the bootloader, Press "B" and type in at the bottom of the screen -v -f to make sure all the kexts are being loaded.

Try that and see shows the HD

This sounds like a BIOS problem to me...

But it dont show internal drives? sounds like something isnt right in your BIOS settings

3) I do not have ioatafamily.kext on my installer drive (my portable drive) and have already added AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext to the Extensions folder. It does not work, well actually I don't know if placing the file in extensions folder is enough or I have to do some terminal stuff.

You NEED AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext in your installer drive! its a 100% MUST you dont need to do any terminal stuff for this file, if its in the right place YOUR USB DRIVE/snow-installer/filez/Extra/Extensions

DEFO check your BIOS! make sure its all set correctly for SL!

hpet (high precision event timer) <<<<< this is a must

sata as ahci <<<<< this is a must (make sure its NOT set to IDE!

Enable ATA

intel xd (execute disable bit)

intel vt (virtualization technology)

acpi 2

s3 sleep state,

Ok my bad... It seems that either you mobo is not picking up your IDE drive, does it show in your bios that the drive in connected?.

Its alright. I see all the 4 drives in the BIOS.

Try this again.

From your current Leo install.

1. delete this file "YOUR PORABLE USB/system/library/extensions/ioatafamily.kext"

(do you know how to do this?, show hidden files and folder?) MAKE SURE ITS GONE!

I have done that and checked the hidden files also.

2. Then add the patched "AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext" from http://netkas.org/?p=125 to

"YOUR PORABLE USB/snow-installer/filez/Extra/Extensions"

Checked. Except that I have added this file not only in the above destination but also in "PortableUSB/Extra/Extensions". Should I remove it?

3. at boot press the down arrow key to interupt the bootloader, Press "B" and type in at the bottom of the screen -v -f to make sure all the kexts are being loaded.

Haven't tried this. Will try and get back.

This sounds like a BIOS problem to me...

But it dont show internal drives? sounds like something isnt right in your BIOS settings

The bios shows all the 4 drives including my portable USB and the borrowed USB drive. Even my Leopard installation shows all the 4 drives when booted. I am not sure if there is any problem with the BIOS. 

DEFO check your BIOS! make sure its all set correctly for SL!

hpet (high precision event timer) <<<<< this is a must

sata as ahci <<<<< this is a must (make sure its NOT set to IDE!

Enable ATA

intel xd (execute disable bit)

intel vt (virtualization technology)

acpi 2

s3 sleep state,

I will try to get a snapshot of my bios in the next post, maybe you can catch something I have missed ^_^

Thanks again.

Tried this also, it seems it loads all the kexts (not sure though) but in the end, same result. 

I am also attaching my bios screen shot, please have a look and tell me if anything is wrong.

post-306741-1253278513_thumb.jpg post-306741-1253278563_thumb.jpg post-306741-1253278571_thumb.jpg post-306741-1253278578_thumb.jpg post-306741-1253278588_thumb.jpg

Thanks.

APJ.

phew... i think i have a solution for ya... took me a while to hunt down this info...

still no promises though... too bad i dont have any IDE drives to test this out... mabbe i should visit my nearest museum and borrow one (just kidding mate...)

okkay here's the deal...

the IDE controller on our dg33fb boards is not made by intel... its made by marvell tech... which is why adding the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext didnt work cos that kext is for controllers made by intel...

ive managed to hunt down a kext that did support the marvell ide controllers back in the leo 10.5 days and ive patched it with the dg33fb's ide controller device-id...

this kext is called appleviaata.kext...

my only worry is that this kext was made for 10.5 and not 10.6... but... i was able to load this kext dynamically in my 10.6 with the 'kextload' command and it did load without any error msgs... and looking at the io-device-tree with the io-reg-explorer showed that a new IDE controller was available... but im unable to test wether it actually works with an ide drive since aint got one...

so ive attached it to this post for u to test...

now since u've messed around with ur current 10.6 installer i like to suggest u start fresh... and unplug all ur sata drives and any other hdds except for ur target IDE internal drive and ur installer USB drive before booting up with the installer again... just so we can get the basics running first...

and the only other kexts im using with my dg33fb are: voodoohda for sound and intel82566mm for ethernet... both are attached in the zip file...

note: sound + ethernet kexts dont work from /extra/extensions

im not sure if appleviaata works from /extra/extensions either so try that first, if not move it to /S/L/E...

so yeh let us know how u go...

thanks for helping out in here mannn...

really appreciate it...

im getting a bit exhausted tryin 2 help everyone all by my self :-)

cheers!!!

PS: wonder where all the "well experienced" hackintoshers are???

intel_DG33FB.zip