[ PRE-INSTALL AUTOMATOR v1.1 ] for easily installing vanilla snow leo.

dj nitehawk

281 posts in this topic

Thanks for the tutorial. DD's script looked a bit overwhelming for me so I gave yours a try.

The script was really easy to follow...but...

My mother board bios had all settings you mentioned except the intel xd. I tried a few different settings and reboots but all stopped at the same spot of the load.

Chameleon loads but during the white letters on black loading screen, it stops at a line that says "System uptime in nanoseconds:20344..."

Any ideas?

I've tried a few times with different kexts added and once with only the kexts you supplied for us. Same results though.

This is my first time to post. I hope I'm doing this right. My signature has my machine info. hope it shows up. :thanks_speechbubble:

I did use uinstaller to use my gfi string everytning is fine except for the boot flag

there is some voodoo {censored}e happening with the -v flag... cos i cant get my machine to wake up from sleep if i dont boot up with the -v flag...

and i dont use 64bit cos i find 32bit on my system to be more stable... so cant really help with any 64bit stuff... cos i havent used 64bit much...

My mother board bios had all settings you mentioned except the intel xd.

it stops at a line that says "System uptime in nanoseconds:20344..." Any ideas?

dont worry about intel xd... my machine works fine with or without it... i only mentioned it only to be double safe...

i might be able to get a better idea of whats going on if i could see a pic of the error messages...

also, what type of hdd's u using? ide or sata? ahci enabled?

in the meantime:

confirm that the following file exists on your snow volume...

/Extra/dsdt.aml

cos if it didnt, that means there was a problem patching ur dsdt and the file didnt get created... most machines are unable to boot without a patched dsdt.aml file...

we'll take it from there...

Hi many thanks for your hard work on this. Hoping to be able to get my system up and running with Snow Leopard with it.

I have a question you may be able to help with.

After completing your instructions, my PC runs through the Chameleon startup and runs the last line which is 'Starting Darwin x86' My screen goes blank and then it reboots.

Do you know what might be causing this?

I have Leopard running on the same machine but only with the following options set from the IPC OSX86 - UNIVERSAL 10.5.6 - PPF5 install Disk

9.4.0 STAGEXNU UNIVERSAL KERNEL

INTEL ICHx SATA DRIVERS (Chipset Drivers)

NVDARWEN256 (Video Driver)

APPLE AZALIA AUDIO (Audio Driver)

FIXES & PATCHES: CPUS=1 (ONE CORE FIX) & APPLE SMBIOS PATCH - (APPLESMBIOS TOH)

I would love to get the retail version up and running and have been trying for days to get this to work, any help would be much appreciated!!

My PC Spec is below, THANKS!

Jon.

Intel (South Lake 3 G5) 915GV Motherboard

Intel® Pentium® 4 processor 519 with Hyper-Threading Technology 
Operates at 3.06 GHz, 533 MHz FSB - Features MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, NX-Bit, C1E

2GB 533 MHz (PC4200) DDR2 memory

NVIDIA GEFORCE 6200 256MB PCI Graphics Card

Realtek ALC860VU On Board Sound

Cheers.. worked a treat on my Asus T3-P5G31-Q6600-GeForce 7300 GT all i had to do was put the 64 bit voodoo hda enabler on it and its flawless!

In 10.5 I used a spare hdd I had laying about to install with this util' and my retail 10.6 DVD, then i botted off it and repeated the process on the SATA HDD that 10.5 was on.

attached my DSDT and the HDA enabler I used.

Cheers again! :blink:

VoodooHDA_Pref.zip

dsdt.aml.zip

Could I use your "DSDT.AML" for my Giga EX58 UD4P motherboard and BFG 9800GX2 1GB graphic card?

u can and should use the dsdt.aml that my script generates...

u should not use other ppl's dsdt.aml files unless their motherboard is exactly the same as urs... even then, if ur hardware config varies even the slightest bit, you will have trouble booting... for ex say that ur running a core2 duo processor and the person u borrowed the DSDT from is running core2 quad, u will not be able to boot with his/her dsdt.aml file...

if u are somehow able to run without the dsdt.aml by using "DSDT=nothing.aml" boot flag, your DSDT may be good enough for snow... most of us havent been that lucky :-)

i have never been able to get my intel dg33fb mobo to work fully without a patched dsdt.aml...

After completing your instructions, my PC runs through the Chameleon startup and runs the last line which is 'Starting Darwin x86' My screen goes blank and then it reboots.

im not familiar with running snow leo on pentium 4 systems... u could try doing:

1. disconnect ur 10.5 drive to see if snow is conflicting with that somehow

2. try using basic graphics by using "GraphicsEnabler=No" boot flag

3. try using "CPUS=1" boot flag

look at a guide for running snow on pentium 4 and see what specific requirements it needs...

Cheers.. worked a treat on my Asus T3-P5G31-Q6600-GeForce 7300 GT all i had to do was put the 64 bit voodoo hda enabler on it and its flawless!

In 10.5 I used a spare hdd I had laying about to install with this util' and my retail 10.6 DVD, then i botted off it and repeated the process on the SATA HDD that 10.5 was on.

attached my DSDT and the HDA enabler I used.

Cheers again! :P

beee aaa uuu tiii fuuuullll :-)

note to others: only use Jabbawok's dsdt.aml if ur config closely matches his...

thanks for sharing Jabbawok!!!

Sorry it does´nt work as so many of the other guides for that matter. Good try though

if u post screenshots of ur error msgs and tell us more about ur hardware config, we might be able to help :-)

then again we might not be :-)

ive tried installing snow for about 15 of my friends and only about 6-7 of those machines were able to run snow off the bat... the rest of them required custom attention and troubleshooting...

digital_dreamer says it best...

Building a 'hackintosh' is a technical acheivement

Greatly appreciate your quick reply, you said I could use your DSDT.AML for my Giga EX58 UD4P. Is this mean, your motherboard is the same one as I have (UD4P) and 9800GX2 will also be supported by your DSDT?........Thanks a lot!

u can and should use the dsdt.aml that my script generates...

u should not use other ppl's dsdt.aml files unless their motherboard is exactly the same as urs... even then, if ur hardware config varies even the slightest bit, you will have trouble booting... for ex say that ur running a core2 duo processor and the person u borrowed the DSDT from is running core2 quad, u will not be able to boot with his/her dsdt.aml file...

if u are somehow able to run without the dsdt.aml by using "DSDT=nothing.aml" boot flag, your DSDT may be good enough for snow... most of us havent been that lucky :-)

i have never been able to get my intel dg33fb mobo to work fully without a patched dsdt.aml...

Hi,

Im with P5QL-E video Gigabyte nvidia 8500GT

Some info because i try 2-3 methods

I restore image on partition and try to boot from it but have kernel panic or stuck on gray screen I can move mouse but 10 minutes nothing appears.I run with -v option but no output when i see gray screen

Im with 10.5.7 i flash my BIOS before install 10.5 but I dont need to upgrade it again or i need !?

Today I will try to change video with palit 9500GT and see what will happend.

Greatly appreciate your quick reply, you said I could use your DSDT.AML for my Giga EX58 UD4P. Is this mean, your motherboard is the same one as I have (UD4P) and 9800GX2 will also be supported by your DSDT?........Thanks a lot!

ok let me explain... when u run the script it reads ur DSDT info from your actual bios, fixes the problems with it, and saves it at "/extra/dsdt.aml"... that file doesnt have anything to do with my motherboard at all... that file is totally specific to your bios/mobo/cpu etc...

thats why u shouldnt use other ppl's dsdt.aml files...

if u look inside the folders after u extract my zip file, there is no dsdt.aml file in there... it is only generated from ur bios after u run the script on ur machine...

the dsdt patching software is by a guy called Fassl from this forum... ive simply integrated it to my script to make things easier...

hope this explanation helps...

Hi,

Im with P5QL-E video Gigabyte nvidia 8500GT

Some info because i try 2-3 methods

I restore image on partition and try to boot from it but have kernel panic or stuck on gray screen I can move mouse but 10 minutes nothing appears.I run with -v option but no output when i see gray screen

Im with 10.5.7 i flash my BIOS before install 10.5 but I dont need to upgrade it again or i need !?

Today I will try to change video with palit 9500GT and see what will happend.

i dont really know about ur specific configuration but sounds like an issue with ur graphic card... have u tried booting with basic graphics? ie: without any efi strings/enablers etc for ur card...

if booting without graphic card support works, u gotta find out what works for ur specific g.card model...

Yeah sorry forgot to post what gear I have it´s:

GA EP45-DS3

Q6600

Sata drives

Typing this from SL using one of these 132 boot discs. Works 90-95% OK but I can´t boot without the disc not without loosing one of my videocards and I get really crappy resoloution on the dsiplay that do work.

The problem with this was it said it could´nt find my USB "stick" I´ll give it a shot again tonight.

Sorry if it came out bad was´nt my meaning it just that I´ve been trying out pretty many of these guides some work like the one I have now but some does´nt work at all, not for me anyway. Short story -frustration.

It seems also people add a DSDT.aml to every guide around and it´s hard to know if it just somekind of a standard/should work if you´re lucky or if the installationprocess gives you one that´s specific for your own hardware. You say I get one for my hardware but still it seems I have to edit it so I´m getting confused.

Also it´s hard to really get if this DSDT.aml really is the one and only key to get SL working or if it´s just the new thing so that´s why everybody´s heading in that direction. I have about four hacks at home and two more out of the house at the moment and I have never used DSDT.aml on any of them and they all run really good but on Leo though.

Yeah sorry forgot to post what gear I have it´s:

GA EP45-DS3

Q6600

Sata drives

Typing this from SL using one of these 132 boot discs. Works 90-95% OK but I can´t boot without the disc not without loosing one of my videocards and I get really crappy resoloution on the dsiplay that do work.

dude u forgot to mention what graphics card u use... if its an nvidia card it should be real easy to get going... i've never used anything else with hacks cos nvidia has buitin support from the osx drivers...

The problem with this was it said it could´nt find my USB "stick" I´ll give it a shot again tonight.

where and when, does it say that??? i never coded in that error msg to my script so it cant be my script... if u dont like explaining, taking a snap and posting it would be the best thing...

Sorry if it came out bad was´nt my meaning it just that I´ve been trying out pretty many of these guides some work like the one I have now but some does´nt work at all, not for me anyway. Short story -frustration.

dont get discouraged bro... we've all had that... doing some research as to why things happen the way they do is the best way ive found to deal with frustration...

besides, hacking-macin-tosh-os is supposed to be a hobby and a fun thing to do... so dont take it too serious... if something goes wrong, just take a break and try again later... as they say, just flow with life, dont fight with life :-)

It seems also people add a DSDT.aml to every guide around and it´s hard to know if it just somekind of a standard/should work if you´re lucky or if the installationprocess gives you one that´s specific for your own hardware. You say I get one for my hardware but still it seems I have to edit it so I´m getting confused.

first off... u dont have to edit ur dsdt.aml file unless ur mobo is suffering from the bios/cmos reset problem...

Also it´s hard to really get if this DSDT.aml really is the one and only key to get SL working or if it´s just the new thing so that´s why everybody´s heading in that direction. I have about four hacks at home and two more out of the house at the moment and I have never used DSDT.aml on any of them and they all run really good but on Leo though.

ya ive never used a dsdt.aml with leo either... this snow leo is a totally differnt beast and having a fixed/patched clean dsdt is what enabled my leo to detect and boot into my sata drives and also fixed some problems with my sleep/resume functions... u should read up on what exactly DSDT is... just use google or look in the "tutorials/genius bar" forum here...

th_MOV00064.jpg

Sorry forgot that, it´s two noname 7300gs 512 mb pcie videocards I found on ebay. Store´s in Hongkong. Check out the link over here. The resoloution is not so great cause I had to use my cellphone camera.

The strangest thing is they do work ok with this Slimbuild-preboot disc I downloaded and SL if I install an NVinject.kext I found here a while back (and edited myself). This kext works with a few other videocards too, got it uploaded here somewhere in hardware graphics in a thread of mine. I even get PS2 mouse and keyboard working ok booting with this disc using the old "PS2" kexts. But without booting with the disc I get only one card working and also only one display and only USB mouse and keyboard.

The case is I actually can boot without this disc and even without the DSDT.aml that comes with it, at least it seems so. You see I did a test install and installed a fresh SL to an USB harddrive and for what I know no DSTDT.aml or anything else besides what´s on the SL disc would´nt get installed if you do like this even if you use one of these 132 boot disc form around here.

Maby you can understand my frustration now I mean there´s just so many guides around here and I´m beginning to suspect you don´t need a DSDT.aml at all.

But I´m truly sorry if what I say here comes out wrong man it´s not easy writing in another language.

It go to late at night so I´ll have to wait till tomorrow before I can give your guide another try.

Thanks bud

Have it good as we say over here

I´m going to edit this reply if it shows my film/link overe here does´nt load ok

ok try doing this...

1. extract my zip file to ur desktop

2. get the nvinject.kext (the one u have modified - which works on ur system) and also any other kexts ur system might need to boot, and place them here:

desktop/snow-installer/filez/extra/extensions

4. edit the following file:

desktop/snow-installer/filez/extra/com.apple.boot.plist

and change where it says "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" to "GraphicsEnabler=No"

5. restore the snow installer dvd to ur usb drive...

6. run "desktop/snow-installer/installnow" and select ur usb as the target

7. copy the "desktop/snow-intaller" to ur usb drive root folder

7. boot from the usb drive

8. launch terminal via "utilities" > "terminal" and type:

/snow-installer/installnow

then select where u wanna install snow as the target

9. exit terminal and continue with the snow installer

10. reboot and boot into ur new snow leo volume...

if that doesnt work dude i dont think i can be of any more service...

ps: just to be safe and to make sure that things dont confict... please try to install snow with this method to a clean HDD (where there are no other snow or leo installations)

do a clean install... wipe hdd first...

Dear all!

I've done everything right by the guide, and so my SL is up and running. The only problem I have is that when I need to start-up from my HDD where SL lives, it doesn't boot, only the blinking cursor I see on top of the screen. No boot options available too. So the only way I can start-up is launching with F8 from my USB drive where I installed my SL from and choosing the drive with SL. I guess there's something with bootloader probably, nothing helps.

I'm not very good in MAC OS but aint a deep noob also. Could someone please help.

Thanks in advance!

Dear all!

I've done everything right by the guide, and so my SL is up and running. The only problem I have is that when I need to start-up from my HDD where SL lives, it doesn't boot, only the blinking cursor I see on top of the screen. No boot options available too. So the only way I can start-up is launching with F8 from my USB drive where I installed my SL from and choosing the drive with SL. I guess there's something with bootloader probably, nothing helps.

I'm not very good in MAC OS but aint a deep noob also. Could someone please help.

Thanks in advance!

to make things easy, make sure ur SL partition is GUID, and not mbr...

and also if there are no other OS partitions (for ex: windows, linux, etc) on the same disk, that would help troubleshoot things too...

boot up into the SL installer on ur usb... run the script again in terminal "/snow-installer/installnow"

once the script finishes, scroll back up to the part where it says "installing chameleon boot0..." and take a snap of that screen and attach here... so we can have a look to see whats going wrong with installing the bootloader... (if u see no apparent erros on that screen, it might pay to take snaps of the rest of the screens too and attach here... so we can figure out whats going wrong...)

then try booting without the usb and into ur SL partition...

if still the same, boot back into SL on ur hdd using the help of ur usb and launch terminal...

type the following one after the other...

sudo fdisk -e /dev/diskX

f XX

w

q

y

replace the X with the disk number of the actual disk ur SL is installed on...

replace XX with the parition number of ur SL install...

u can get a list of disks by using the following command in terminal...

diskutil list

we'll take it from there...

OK thanks I´ll give it a try, if it works drinks on me hehe. There´s a few things you say here in this last tip that looks interesting specially the line to make graphics not to load.

Well I´m 50+ maby the motor´s running a bit slow these days hehe.

Thanks for the help.

ok try doing this...

1. extract my zip file to ur desktop

2. get the nvinject.kext (the one u have modified - which works on ur system) and also any other kexts ur system might need to boot, and place them here:

desktop/snow-installer/filez/extra/extensions

4. edit the following file:

desktop/snow-installer/filez/extra/com.apple.boot.plist

and change where it says "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" to "GraphicsEnabler=No"

5. restore the snow installer dvd to ur usb drive...

6. run "desktop/snow-installer/installnow" and select ur usb as the target

7. copy the "desktop/snow-intaller" to ur usb drive root folder

7. boot from the usb drive

8. launch terminal via "utilities" > "terminal" and type:

/snow-installer/installnow

then select where u wanna install snow as the target

9. exit terminal and continue with the snow installer

10. reboot and boot into ur new snow leo volume...

if that doesnt work dude i dont think i can be of any more service...

ps: just to be safe and to make sure that things dont confict... please try to install snow with this method to a clean HDD (where there are no other snow or leo installations)

do a clean install... wipe hdd first...

So here is where i am at now!

I followed the guide step by step, everything went well!!! wicked little guide!

There is a problem though.......

1.Booted from my sata drive where the SL install image/DVD was restored to.

2. Install of SL went 100% ok.

3. It asks me to restart after 100% install.....

3. rebooted then I get this panic when the new SL install drive boots.

Can anyone shine any light on this?

Would be great to sort it out! OH I forgot to say, I now no longer have a 10.5.8 install to work from!!

Only the Boot drive! and a broken SL install..... My system details are in my Sig.

post-431746-1253102147_thumb.jpg

So here is where i am at now!

I followed the guide step by step, everything went well!!! wicked little guide!

There is a problem though.......

1.Booted from my sata drive where the SL install image/DVD was restored to.

2. Install of SL went 100% ok.

3. It asks me to restart after 100% install.....

3. rebooted then I get this panic when the new SL install drive boots.

Can anyone shine any light on this?

Would be great to sort it out! OH I forgot to say, I now no longer have a 10.5.8 install to work from!!

Only the Boot drive! and a broken SL install..... My system details are in my Sig.

{censored} on a cracker mate!!!

okkay... by the looks of the error msg it looks like u've installed SL onto an IDE harddisk (or maybe even a laptop)... is this assumption correct?

if ur SL does not reside on an IDE hdd (or a laptop), please tell me what ur hardware config is and what additional kexts u have added in step 3 of the guide...

also helps to make sure that all ur hdds are running in AHCI native mode by going through ur bios settings...

so if u r using an ide hdd (or a laptop) - or even if not, just try doing the following:

1. download the attched file, extract it and place the kext at "/snow-installer/filez/extra/extensions" on ur SL INSTALLER drive (the one that u restored the image to)...

2. boot into the installer again, launch the terminal and run the following commands

• rm -R /volumes/NAME-OF-UR-SL-VOLUME/system/library/extensions/ioatafamily.kext
  • kextcache -u /volumes/NAME-OF-UR-SL-VOLUME

3. when the above is done, run my installer script again, without quitting terminal with the following:

• /snow-installer/installnow

4. boot into ur SL drive...

if that didnt work, reboot and while chameleon is starting, interrupt it by pressing the down arrow key and select "ignore boot caches" and select ur SL drive with the left/right keys and hit enter...

if that didnt work, tell me all about ur hardware config...

My system details are in my Sig.

ooooops..... sorry i missed that part.. yeh so ur using the badaxe mobo...

yeh just take the above steps to remove the ioatafamily thing on ur SL drive and u should be good...

let us know...

just found this:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1256148

by the looks of it, u might not need to add the attached kext... just need to delete the stock kext from ur SL installation...

I use Terminal to input following

sudo rm -rf /Volumes/XXX/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

XXX is the Label of you drive.

so first try only deleting the file as instruction in the quoted text above.... if that didnt work, try my initial instructions (add kext + delete file)...

report back what happens......

IOATAFamily.kext.zip

Hey man, thanks for getting back to me.

I mounted the DVD of SL onto a sata external drive, The target drive is a ITB westeren digital sata 2 drive.

I deleted the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext from the mounted DVD SL drive

1. Mounted the image to the drive with MBR, followed your steps, added Nait.kext for my video Card ...all went well!

2. Rebooted.

3.Formated the Target 1TB drive with GUID

4. Ran your scrpt again. all went well.

4.installed SL no problems at all.

5. rebooted and get Kernel Panic.....

Now its stuck on this KP and no matter what I chage in the Bios, It wont work....

I will report back!

thanks for your help

Do I need to remove IOATAFamily.kext or just AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext which is inside that kext?

I removed AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext but still getting the same KP

Tried booting with "Ignore Boot caches" but same KP again.

Defo need to write a Bad Axe 2 Guide for SL. Bios info etc etc.

Thing is its boots fine and installe 100% then I reboot and BOOM! KP!

Must be something I missed!

Hey man, thanks for getting back to me.

I mounted the DVD of SL onto a sata external drive, The target drive is a ITB westeren digital sata 2 drive.

I deleted the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext from the mounted DVD SL drive

1. Mounted the image to the drive with MBR, followed your steps, added Nait.kext for my video Card ...all went well!

2. Rebooted.

3.Formated the Target 1TB drive with GUID

4. Ran your scrpt again. all went well.

4.installed SL no problems at all.

5. rebooted and get Kernel Panic.....

Now its stuck on this KP and no matter what I chage in the Bios, It wont work....

I will report back!

thanks for your help

Do I need to remove IOATAFamily.kext or just AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext which is inside that kext?

I removed AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext but still getting the same KP

Tried booting with "Ignore Boot caches" but same KP again.

Defo need to write a Bad Axe 2 Guide for SL. Bios info etc etc.

Thing is its boots fine and installe 100% then I reboot and BOOM! KP!

Must be something I missed!

others only say u need to delete AppleIntelPIIXATA. but if ur KP still says AppleIntelPIIXATA that means it hasnt been deleted... not properly anyways...

did u delete it from the DVD installer partition or ur ultimate/target snow partition? u should delete it from everywhere...

if that doesnt work together with "ignore boot caches", go ahead and delete ioatafamily.kext from both locations... that kext is for IDE drives... if u dont have any IDE u can safely remove it... which looks like the cause of KP on bx2...

can u take a snap of the KP after removing the culprit kexts?

look here:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.6.0

search for the text "badaxe2" and read the notes there...

gotta delete that kext...