Can I boot from a usb stick and install 10.6?

xzhang

5 posts in this topic

Here is my situation:

- My macbook has Snow Leopard installed already.

- I used Chameleon 2 RC3 to make a bootable USB stick (8G) on my macbook.

- I restored Snow Leopard installation image (.dmg) into the USB stick on my macbook.

- I have a PC with 2 hard disks. Now it's running Windows XP on it.

- I boot my PC with the USB stick and in Chameleon I choose to boot from USB stick - so installation starts.

At the very beginning it looks good - i can see gray background, Apple logo and a spinner running under it. After about 20 - 30 seconds, loading finished up and i got a blue screen (not MS blue screen but the Apple style, light blue...). Then nothing happened any more... :D

I read a lot from many places and it seems that all successful installation need a Leopard installed on the PC first.

Is there anyway that i can install it via the USB stick? how can I get DSDT.aml file (and other files needed...) on my Windows?

My Gear:

GIGA 965P DS3 rev2.0

Intel Core Duo 2 E6300 1.86GHz

Nvidia 7900GS 512M

Here is my situation:

- My macbook has Snow Leopard installed already.

- I used Chameleon 2 RC3 to make a bootable USB stick (8G) on my macbook.

- I restored Snow Leopard installation image (.dmg) into the USB stick on my macbook.

- I have a PC with 2 hard disks. Now it's running Windows XP on it.

- I boot my PC with the USB stick and in Chameleon I choose to boot from USB stick - so installation starts.

At the very beginning it looks good - i can see gray background, Apple logo and a spinner running under it. After about 20 - 30 seconds, loading finished up and i got a blue screen (not MS blue screen but the Apple style, light blue...). Then nothing happened any more... :)

I read a lot from many places and it seems that all successful installation need a Leopard installed on the PC first.

Is there anyway that i can install it via the USB stick? how can I get DSDT.aml file (and other files needed...) on my Windows?

My Gear:

GIGA 965P DS3 rev2.0

Intel Core Duo 2 E6300 1.86GHz

Nvidia 7900GS 512M

Use PC EFI 10.1 on your USB-stick.

Then restore your DVD to it

Use this in apple.com.Boot.plist

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1024x768x32</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-x32</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>3</string>

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string></string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>No</string>

These Kext Extentions in Extra folder;

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

JMicronATAInjector.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

That's it no need to use kext util first. You should be able to boot and install without KP's

After install boot again from USB and hit a key when bootloader shows and choose your fresh installed disk.

When you'r in your new system disable immediately spotlight from indexing your HD and install Chameon 2 RC3

Put your kext in extra folder, use kext util, patch dsdt and put new DSDT.aml in extra folder, put smbios.plist with your correct UUID in it. Also the PlatformUUID.kext with your UUID. craete an EFI-string for you Graphics Card and put it in apple.com.Boot.plist.

Reboot but now change yur bios to boot from your fresh install.

That would be it!

You can enable spotligh agian

Hi Edkroket,

I thought you might be able to help me here:

I followed instructions here (Adam Pash, Lifehacker) to:

1. Created a USB disk (GUID Table), HFS+ partition

2. Dumped an original 10.6 (upgrade) .CDR to my USB disk

3. Installed Chameleon RC3 (tried RC2 too), fdisk -f boot0 -u -y.... dd in=boot1h of=....

4. Copied PC_EFI V10.1 (netkas.org) to root directory of my USB disk

But when I tried booting that same USB disk on:

1. AMD64 PC - Showed Chameleon. When loading the installer, it hanged at the Apple loading screen.

2. Intel PCs HP DC7600 (Intel Pentium 4 521), DC7700 (Core 2 Duo) - Both couldn't boot into Chameleon.

Any ideas what went wrong? ;)

I also added downloaded the Extra.zip and copied the Extra folder over to the USB disk. However, I didn't do anything to the files inside the Extra folder. Do I need to do anything to:

com.apple.Boot.plist

DSDT.aml

Extensions.mkext

smbios.plist

inside the Extra folder? I just left the files there.

Any clues?

Hey I followed Adam's instruction too, and everything worked until I booted from the thumb drive. it brings up the grey apple logo screen with the spinning wheel underneath the logo for a few minutes and then asks me to restart. i restart and the same thing happens again. any suggestions?