Original Mac ads with Bill

13 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...

If u guys see "Pirates Of The Silicon Valley", you will realize Microsoft was a partner of Apple at that time. Microsoft at the time was outfit in Alberquerque with a Hand Painted Sign, while Apple was this huge company with a million dollar funding from Intel. Bill Gates at that time partnered with Steve Jobs and stole the whole GUI idea from Apple. Apple had stolen this from Xerox.

Apple had stolen this from Xerox.

The movie makes it clear that Xerox gave the stuff to Apple (and they did, because Xerox owned a stake in Apple and Xerox execs. decided not to develop it themselves).

This idea that Apple (Jobs) stole the idea of GUI from Xerox is a myth. Microsoft is a different story, too bad we did not have software patents back them.

That movie is a MUST SEE for computer owners. Yes Xerox gave the stuff, to Apple and Jobs are in the clear but Bill stole it all and even today with Vista coming out, he is copying Apple yet again. Plus Bill didn't even write DOS, he bought it from a guy.

• 3 weeks later...

For me, this was the best part:

"Some mice have two buttons. Macintosh has one. So it's extremely difficult to push the wrong button."

Haha, way to go marketing. Now just how hard is it to push the wrong mouse button with only one mouse button- extremely difficult you say?

Thanks Apple for protecting me from two mouse buttons!

This idea that Apple (Jobs) stole the idea of GUI from Xerox is a myth. Microsoft is a different story, too bad we did not have software patents back them.

Patenting software sucks - copyright law is sufficient protection for software developers.

I think I have just sprouted more grey hairs, I remeber these ad's. I've had the 8086/8088, the Lisa the Apple II family (C, E, & GS), the Atari, Amiga, and Commadore bunch... and the original Macs, well to make it short, I'm just an old {censored}...lol

The movie is fluff; read the book. Hollywood loves to take the printed word from the author and just overdramatize it to extremes, and they took a lot of liberties with the original story.

Microsoft was a partner with Apple at the time, yes, and that's how they got "behind the scenes" access to the Macintosh/Lisa in their earliest stages of development - and that also opened the door for Microsoft to emulate/duplicate/rip-off the GUI in the those days.

Same way Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak got "behind the scenes" access to Xerox PARC and came out knowing they were going to change the world by standing on the shoulders of the giants there that truly created the first real GUI for a computer OS - and then stomping on those shoulders to make a buck.

It is true about what happened at Xerox PARC and is noted in many books and articles over the years, even Steve Jobs has admitted as such in several interviews that he came away from the tour of Xerox PARC "knowing how to change the world, and it wasn't by using that GUI in some obscure lab someplace no one would ever find out about it. It was on the desktop, with a computer designed for personal use."

I liked the "add a second, high-capacity (400 kilobytes) 3 1/2" disk drive...". If they could have seen the future they wouldn't haved used quite that wording. Although, they probably would have disposed of Gates and saved us all BSODs...