Snow Leopard partition as the boot drive

dragosani

3 posts in this topic

Good Day,

OK, I completely ditched my windows 7 dual boot situation.

So, only have guid partitions now, no windows, no mbr (want this desktop as a hackintosh only)

Just did a clean install of Kalyway 10.5.2 on SATA drive (for the umpteenth time)

Now I want to install SL onto my other SATA drive, now here are my questions.

- since i just installed Kalyway is there anything i need to install bootloader wise on this partition, or just leave darwin as is?

-once i install SL - do i need to set the Snow Leopard partition as the boot drive? If so, how?

I think the partitioning is where I am getting confused, cuz believe me, i have been running leopard and windows for sometime without issues. But i really want Leopard and snow leopard to work on this box.

I have tried every chameleon version known and after installing SL, it just never shows up for me to select - so i am missing something, somewhere.

Thanks for reading and thanks for any suggestions.

So you want to install SL on a seperate hard drive, not on a partition on the same hard drive as Leopard, right? In that case, look around in your bios for something like "hard disk boot priority" and set the other hard drive (the one you'll install SL on) as the first, so you'll system check that hard drive at boot for a bootable OS / bootloader. This way when you install Chameleon in SL, it won't touch the bootloader on your Leopard drive and the two can live happily together. By the way, I recommend making a small partition on your SL drive for installing Chameleon on. For doing that, you could follow this guide. Good luck!

So you want to install SL on a seperate hard drive, not on a partition on the same hard drive as Leopard, right? In that case, look around in your bios for something like "hard disk boot priority" and set the other hard drive (the one you'll install SL on) as the first, so you'll system check that hard drive at boot for a bootable OS / bootloader. This way when you install Chameleon in SL, it won't touch the bootloader on your Leopard drive and the two can live happily together. By the way, I recommend making a small partition on your SL drive for installing Chameleon on. For doing that, you could follow this guide. Good luck!

Awesome, thanks Cinner!

Well i have discovered my Dell BIOS does not support changing the boot priority order, it must be on SATA port 0, which is why when SL is installed i have so much trouble selecting the 2nd SATA drive. So, my next theory is to go through the guide you linked to, get the USB setup, install SL then physically switch SATA cables so SL is in SATA port 0.

SHould work in theory at least in my mind :-)

Thanks again for your assistance!