Dell Inspiron 1720 Help. Stuck at Apple loading screen.

Crishbk

35 posts in this topic

sorry. that would be helpful. it says installation failed. it doesnt even install.

I downloaded v7 and have been working with it a little to see if I could give you an easy guide but it is a little frustrating as it only boots about one out of 5 times. I have gotten it to boot by using -v cpus=2 flags but I've gotten a lot of kernel panics after I installed it. I'll play with it a little more and see if I can help you out. I think the video kext will work from that install disk.

Ok I've finally gotten a pretty decent install from iAtkos v7. I had to boot with the "-v cpus=2" flags and I had to keep rebooting to it until it stopped hanging. Sometimes it goes right through and sometimes it takes several attempts.

These are the selections I used.

Chameleon V2.0

DSDT

Apple Decrypt

SMBios-EFI-Air

EFI Strings for Intel

GMA X3100 p

Voodoo HDA Driver

Apple PS/2 Driver

Laptop Battery

NTFS 3G if you want to write to windows

Broadcom BCM440x

Post Install

The first time it reboots the screen will go blue and then black. I thought I would use the 11 min 20 second trick (pull the power cord and shut the lid) to see if that would work but when I opened the lid the laptop was asleep. System sleep works out of the box, this is a big advantage as the x3100 video works correctly after a sleep cycle. Push the power button and it will wake back up and you can type in your information. Be sure to tell it it does not connect to the internet so it doesn't automatically register you with apple. They will send you E-Mails telling what you can do with your new Mac. After it finishes with the personal information it will try to launch but it will likely give you a kernel panic. It did me every time. Simply hold the power button and shut it off and restart.

When you restart it will the screen will go blue and then black again. You will see hard drive activity for a while after it settles down a little push the power button briefly and the push the S key. This should put the system to sleep. You blue

power light should slowly blink. If it does push the power button again and it will wake back up and you will have video again.

When it wakes up it will be trying to figure out what keyboard you are using, just close it out and enjoy Mac. I don't know how familiar you are with Mac but you will need to set up a hot corner for your sleep display. It is in the System preferences /screen savers and find the hot corners button. Your also want to calibrate your display, it will look a lot better if you do.

I haven had a lot of time to check everything out yet but I did notice the sound was a little choppy I'll check it out more later but the system does shut down right with the voodoo HDA drivers.

Edited to add that the audio works fine until after the system has been put to sleep and then it doesn't work so well. There maybe fixes listed here somewhere if you dig around for it.

so i did exactly as you said but the installation still failed. it said "the Installer could not validate the contents of the '10.5.7.intel' package. contact the software manufacturer for assistance."

it can't be a faulty disc can it? i made sure the md5 checksum was correct and i burned it at the slowest speed possible.

so i did exactly as you said but the installation still failed. it said "the Installer could not validate the contents of the '10.5.7.intel' package. contact the software manufacturer for assistance."

it can't be a faulty disc can it? i made sure the md5 checksum was correct and i burned it at the slowest speed possible.

I'd try to burn another.

i redownloaded it, i reburned, and i tried to install it again but once again installation failed. it also is frstrating that the boot flags result in a kernel panic 9 times out of 10. is there any step that im missing or is my computer simply not compatible?

i redownloaded it, i reburned, and i tried to install it again but once again installation failed. it also is frstrating that the boot flags result in a kernel panic 9 times out of 10. is there any step that im missing or is my computer simply not compatible?

It is compatible, that I know. I'm not sure why it hangs when it is loading but it does it on mine too.