Dell Inspiron 1720 Help. Stuck at Apple loading screen.

Crishbk

35 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have been trying to install Leopard using Iatkos V7 for 3 weeks now. I have tried a lot of different things I have read from guides posted all over this website. However, I can't seem to get past the Apple boot screen. I've tried many different things. If I try to just let it install straight from the DVD it results in a Kernal Panic. I've tried maxmem=2048 and cpus=1 but that just gets me to the apple loading screen and then it stops. Any suggestions would help immensely. I really would like to experience the wonders of a full working Hackingtosh. :)

My specs are as follows:

2.00 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo

WDC WD1200BEVS-75UST0 [Hard drive] (120.03 GB)

4 gb ram

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or any help. :P

Surely you're selecting a wrong kernel dude, try not selecting anything but the base system and applications and if you still fail, select base system, Voodoo 9.5.0 and Seatbelt Fix and applications(don't select anything other than mentioned), and if still fail, write the Observations here.

Surely you're selecting a wrong kernel dude, try not selecting anything but the base system and applications and if you still fail, select base system, Voodoo 9.5.0 and Seatbelt Fix and applications(don't select anything other than mentioned), and if still fail, write the Observations here.

So how would I do that? Is there an input for that? Also could it possibly be a display issue? Everytime I input "?" for input help the only thing that shows up is the Timeout input. Thank you for your help.

I tried going directly from the DVD but it came up as a kernal panic. I tried Maxmem=2048, Kernal Panic. After doing cpus=1 and a combination of cpus=1 and Maxmem=2048 it still stopped at the apple scrolling screen. Any other suggestions? Thank you both for your help.

Hey,

I had same problem 2 months ago with my Inspiron 1720.

Found my solution over at uphucks board.

Also used iAtkos v7

Now everything works fine.

You need to boot with these flags:

mach_970 busratio=20 -v -x

With these I passed the Apple loading screen.

Found it here:

http://uphuck.ggrn.de/forum/viewtopic.php?...129&p=37555

Good Luck...

Need to change Wireless Card right?

Pretty easy on 1720.

Not so on NC10. ;)

For me it only works in ATA Mode.

Not so good but a problem I can life with.

Sry for my english ;-)

Thanks for the suggestion but it didnt work. I even tried adding cpus=1 and maxmem=2048. Still no dice. ;) any other suggestions? Thank you all you are all being very helpful.

Check page 10 of the thread I linked and try those flags. If all else fails try iAtkos v5. I've installed v2,v5 and retail on mine. They all work fine you just need to p,lay and learn.

Thanks for the link GimmeRed but it was not helpful at all. In fact it confused me even more. However, I have tried to use Iatkos 5i and Still have the same problem. After different flags it still ends up at the apple scrolling screen and nothing happens.

Actually I had already done that before I even started this post. The entire time it's been on ATA and no luck. I tried it again with just those flags but it ended in a kernal panic. I tried adding Cpus=1 and it finished, all entries came all the way down and it said "mac framework successful" but then it stopped there. I got rid of -v and it still stopped at the apple scrolling screen. :happymac: Thank you for you help but it didnt work.

GimmeRed you were right. IT WORKED! but now I have a really weird dilemma. It finally got past the apple scrolling screen and then I stopped it cuz I wanted to swap out hard drives. I got a 120gb with Windows 7 and Vista on it which I'm using now and I used to do those flags. Then I switched it out for an 80gb to practice the install. (took it from my ps3) It resulted in a kernal panic. So angrily I tried repeatedly. Kernel panic. So I swapped them again expecting it to work. Now I'm getting a kernel panic with my 120gb as well. What did I do wrong? Why did it work once? Should I keep trying? Thank you so much GimmeRed

GimmeRed you were right. IT WORKED! but now I have a really weird dilemma. It finally got past the apple scrolling screen and then I stopped it cuz I wanted to swap out hard drives. I got a 120gb with Windows 7 and Vista on it which I'm using now and I used to do those flags. Then I switched it out for an 80gb to practice the install. (took it from my ps3) It resulted in a kernal panic. So angrily I tried repeatedly. Kernel panic. So I swapped them again expecting it to work. Now I'm getting a kernel panic with my 120gb as well. What did I do wrong? Why did it work once? Should I keep trying? Thank you so much GimmeRed

Keep trying. If you want to practice put try it in an external drive. I used an ide drive in an external USB enclosure and loaded a retail install on to it. You can do any install on those.

Another suggestion is to put in a second smaller partition and load Mac on the hard drive twice. I setup a 15 GB partition and named it safe. I test out all updates on that partition so I mess up y primary OS.

You could even throw in a second hard drive in these if you wanted to keep you existing OS safe.

i actually got it to work by doing "-v -x acpi=off busratio=20 cpus=2 maxmem=2048" somehow it worked! :thumbsup_anim: but then the install failed any suggestions for that? once again thank you very much.

You probably made a wrong selection somewhere. Try to select as little as you can. If you need to add something later you can with pacifist. Just try to get working first.

i tried to install with as little as possible but nothing. i tried the voodoo 9.5.0 kernel as well and tried selecting some drivers but it didnt work. any suggestions to get the install to work?

These run the vanilla kernel. Also what video do you have? Don't select any drivers.

sorry for the late reply ive been busy. i tried just using the 9.5.0 kernel and nothing else but tht still didnt work. any other suggestions? thank you all once again

I would love to help you out here and I'm sure a lot of others would too, but you need to gives us more information.

What exactly do you mean by it didn't work? Are you getting a kernel panic? Is it booting and going black? Is it turning into a pumpkin? What is it doing?