Complete Newbie to Macs

Riven67

1 post in this topic

Ok so like I said I am a complete newbie to the Mac OS. I have never even touched a Mac before today! The only Apples I have ever been exposed to were in a Best Buy store. So you may ask why do I want to build a Hackintosh? Well truth be told I stubled upon this site and it intrigued me. I thought this would make a good project for that Intel D945GCLF2 that has been sitting here waiting to be put to use. So after some extensive reading of this and other forums I decided to take the plunge. I used Onetrack's method and needless to say it worked like a charm. ( the only issue I had was making the usb image as I am using Windows 7 so in order to make it work I needed to elevate the command prompt before running makeusb.bat) otherwise you will get an error message and it will not make the usb bootable. It took about an hour or so to finish but it worked well!! :whistle:

So now I have a working computer running Mac OS X 10.5.6 let's see the motherboard was $96 but it came with a 2 Gig stick of ram, the case I got for $49 and included the power supply, the hard drive was one of many I have lying around, I bought the Samsung Dvd Writer for $24, and the rest keyboard, mouse, speakers all are like the hard drive just lying around collecting dust before today! So the grand total is $169! Not bad for a Mac clone! LOL

So now I will play around with it and get to know the Mac OS X for awhile before trying to upgrade it to a higher version level. I may even try to go all the way to Snow Leopard. So far the forums look promising! I just want to say in closing that I originally took on this project as a challenge but as it turns out with all the hard work you guys here have done it made it so simple that there was no challenge at all. So for all you other NEWBIES out there don't be afraid to try it but please read everything you can first and you will have no problems, I didn't !!! :D