 [QUICK GUIDE] SHUTTLE K45/K48 running Snow Leopard

Squirrelf

285 posts in this topic

Oops I didn't saw the kext. Thanks again, EIST now works just fine ! (checked with CpuX)

For the mute key, no it wasn't working in leo neither. Not a big loss anyway.

And about the sleeping, I was wondering if is there is a way to make the k45 sleeping or to display the Sleep/Reboot/Restart menu by pressing the box power button ?

I've seen a power button dsdt fix, that is supposed to display the box sleep/reboot/Restart

I didn't incorporated it in the dsdt... I suppose you don't have a sleep button on your keyboard, because that will bring the menu too...

...one min later...

ok added the fix, can you try it please, and let me know if it works

DSDT_PWRB.zip

basicaly the fix was (found on the internet):

Device (PWRB)

{

Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C0C")) ---> Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0C0C"))

edit:

HERE is another DSDT: with PWRB fix too

but I also removed AC97 section

so first off all need to test if sound still works and if mic still works

if both do then maybe mute button will, but I don't have high hopes....

my wild thought is that sounds works from HDEF, and mute button was somehow assigned to AC97 thus will not work if AC97 does not...

DSDT_noAC97.zip

Hi everybody.

First of all thanks for sharing.

I have no computer running some kind of OSX and I failed to install Kaliway on my K45se (very similar to K45) with no succes ( com.apple.Boot.plist not found).

So did someone have successfull install of Snow Leopard using Boot 132 method and can give me link to an iso (that I can burn with Nero on Window or Brassero on Ubuntu/Linux OS) ?

Or the way I can create one (with no OSX running system).

Thank you for your help.

@+

Eric

Hi everybody.

First of all thanks for sharing.

I have no computer running some kind of OSX and I failed to install Kaliway on my K45se (very similar to K45) with no succes ( com.apple.Boot.plist not found).

So did someone have successfull install of Snow Leopard using Boot 132 method and can give me link to an iso (that I can burn with Nero on Window or Brassero on Ubuntu/Linux OS) ?

Or the way I can create one (with no OSX running system).

Thank you for your help.

@+

Eric

I'm making you one, wait a min or two

edit

OK try that and let me know if it works

temporarily there: (10 download only then link will stop working)

http://rapidshare.com/files/301411480/Boot...EO.iso.zip.html

I'll find a better hosting if it works

I'm making you one, wait a min or two

edit

OK try that and let me know if it works

Thanks a lot Eliade, not at home for the moment, I will try and let you konw.

(I should also be able to buy a Apple SL Install DVD, out of stock yesterday :unsure: )

Edit :

I was lucky enough to buy the Apple Snow Leopard retail DVD but I can't upload your ISO at RapidShare (This file can only be downloaded by becoming a Premium Member. There are no more download slots available for free users right now. If you don't want to become a premium member, you might want to try again later.) :(

Edit : I was able to download it this morning, I'll try this evening and let you know (I'm in France so be aware with the clock ;) ).

Hi

BootCD do not work (or I don't know how make it work).

I insert it, after a few second screen Darwin86 invite me to change the BootCD with my SL Retail DVD.

I put the retail DVD in, wait à little and press F5 as mentionned.

Then I see 'boot from OSX DVD' and I hit enter.

But it boot from my HD (Ubuntu 9.10 installed to control that all is working good after building the box).

I see no Kext in the folder Extra on the BootCD, is this normal (I open it with XP) as I was figuring that some kext should be in to enable run OSX Retail Install DVDKext.

Thank you for your help.

Eric

Quicknote:

anybody who is looking forward using the new apple magicmouse:

it might work using a bluetooth device like this onebelking bluetooth

it worked out of the box and i successfully isync with my mobilephone (sony erricson w595). :)

i have to save up some money first and wait for apple to send the mous over!

Hi. Thanks for this excellent guide, it made installing SL on one of our K45s so easy!

We are very keen to get dual screen working - either on one of our existing K45s or by buying a K48. Has anyone been successful in getting dual screen working using the onboard video heads on the K48?

We tried a couple of PCI graphics cards which we had kicking around here but to no avail. I suppose that the advantage with the K48 is PCI-e which i'm sure we could use as an alternative to the onboard graphics.

The intended use is primarily for business so high performance graphics & gaming is not necessary - just a decent resolution!

Another thing that we have noticed on the K45 is that Gig Ethernet isn't working. We had to manually set the ethernet interface to 100Mbps and then it would work fine. If it was left with automatic settings or manually set to 1000Mbps it would always show 'cable disconnected' when connected to a gigabit switch.

Thanks again for the guide!

Phil

Hi. Thanks for this excellent guide, it made installing SL on one of our K45s so easy!

We are very keen to get dual screen working - either on one of our existing K45s or by buying a K48. Has anyone been successful in getting dual screen working using the onboard video heads on the K48?

We tried a couple of PCI graphics cards which we had kicking around here but to no avail. I suppose that the advantage with the K48 is PCI-e which i'm sure we could use as an alternative to the onboard graphics.

The intended use is primarily for business so high performance graphics & gaming is not necessary - just a decent resolution!

Another thing that we have noticed on the K45 is that Gig Ethernet isn't working. We had to manually set the ethernet interface to 100Mbps and then it would work fine. If it was left with automatic settings or manually set to 1000Mbps it would always show 'cable disconnected' when connected to a gigabit switch.

Phil

Hi

The K48 has no PCI nor PCI-e port, basically no extensions card possible... but does have the dual head (VGA + DVI)

I don't know if it will work, but dual monitor may work on the K48, someone has to try (I only have a k45)

I don't have a PCI video card to test dual monitor... (I do have two monitors though)

High Performance graphic is NOT possible on the K45, unless you change the Power Supply

(which I did, but only because the 100Watt PSU died, I now have a 350Watt PSU sitting outside the back on the K45, but no video card to test)

Unless you have a different point of view of what high perfomance is... in my opignoin high perfomance is what have in my workstation, for example a 8800GTS, on it's own the card uses probably more than 100W...

But there are tons of card that I would call decent that are much better than the onboard 950, but you will have to change your Power Supply

my K45 is connected to a Gigabit switch with another machine wth gigabit ethernet (my workstation)

1000Mbit is working, because I transfered 1 GigaByte file in about 20sec (speed here is limited to Hard drive read/write about 54MByte/s)

with 100Mbit it would have taken a lot longer

100Mbit/s x 8 = 12.5MByte/s, thus 1min and 20sec, which didn't happen...

I didn't change any settings, it just worked that way

cheers

Hi

BootCD do not work (or I don't know how make it work).

I insert it, after a few second screen Darwin86 invite me to change the BootCD with my SL Retail DVD.

I put the retail DVD in, wait à little and press F5 as mentionned.

Then I see 'boot from OSX DVD' and I hit enter.

But it boot from my HD (Ubuntu 9.10 installed to control that all is working good after building the box).

I see no Kext in the folder Extra on the BootCD, is this normal (I open it with XP) as I was figuring that some kext should be in to enable run OSX Retail Install DVDKext.

Thank you for your help.

Eric

The Kext are under preboot.dmg (you could consider it like an iso file of some sorts, well actually it's a a disk image)

a file type you can't open directly in Windows, but you can in MacOS

Well I don't have a CD/DVD on my k45 so I'll test a similar boot cd on my workstation (with kext for that specific machine)

but this disk should work

I made it with that:

http://darwinx86.org/software/darwinx86_software.html

edit:

It worked perfectly well on my workstation

booted, press f5 after waiting few seconds

selected the OSX INSTALL CD pressed enter, waited

and I was at the installer

The Kext are under preboot.dmg (you could consider it like an iso file of some sorts, well actually it's a a disk image)

a file type you can't open directly in Windows, but you can in MacOS

Well I don't have a CD/DVD on my k45 so I'll test a similar boot cd on my workstation (with kext for that specific machine)

but this disk should work

I made it with that:

http://darwinx86.org/software/darwinx86_software.html

edit:

It worked perfectly well on my workstation

booted, press f5 after waiting few seconds

selected the OSX INSTALL CD pressed enter, waited

and I was at the installer

Thank for you explanation, i'll try another time this evening (thus I mean it's exactly what I've done, but Ubuntu started up no the OS X Installer).

Try this one

DOWNLOAD: SHUTTLE_K45_K48_SnowLeo_BootCD.iso

Should not change anything in term of booting the disk instead of ubuntu

but I removed the Extensions folder, only kept the mkext file

and this hosting is not limited

Any ones else with a K45/48 with a dvd drive could please try that if you have the original OSX 10.6 Disk to see if it works

thanks

Download it

Boot it

Change Disk, remove bootCD and insert your OSX Install DVD

Wait 5 seconds

Press [F5]

Selected the OSX INSTALL DVD

Press [Enter]

Wait

Then the installer should appear within a min or two...

Try this one

DOWNLOAD: SHUTTLE_K45_K48_SnowLeo_BootCD.iso

Should not change anything in term of booting the disk instead of ubuntu

but I removed the Extensions folder, only kept the mkext file

and this hosting is not limited

Any ones else with a K45/48 with a dvd drive could please try that if you have the original OSX 10.6 Disk to see if it works

thanks

Download it

Boot it

Change Disk, remove bootCD and insert your OSX Install DVD

Wait 5 seconds

Press [F5]

Selected the OSX INSTALL DVD

Press [Enter]

Wait

Then the installer should appear within a min or two...

I'll give it a try.

Thank for your work and your help.

Phil

i just tried - standard setup following eliade's guide: DUAL SCREEN is running

i just tried - standard setup following eliade's guide: DUAL SCREEN is running

That's great news! Will have to pick up a k48 now....!

The K48 has no PCI nor PCI-e port

Oh my mistake - thanks for pointing this out.

As for the gig ethernet - we'll do some more testing.

As the intended use for this is business, high end graphics is not a requirement. In our experience the k45 is capable of stable running with a pci graphics card and we haven't ever seen any stability issues playing video or low/mid intensity games.

I would say though that the power supplies aren't of very good build quality. We've had a few psus fail, ranging from dodgy fans to completely bricked. In every instance it's been on a box doing nothing more than serving files so it wasn't from overloading the psu - just crappy build quality.

Other than that they are surprisingly robust little machines.

Phil

STEP ONE : BOOT THE INSTALLER

- boot and press the [DELETE] key on boot to get to your BIOS, goto power management and set "Run VGABIOS if S3 Resume" to "NO", f10 save, system wil reboot

(needed for sleep to work, if you don't care about sleep do it anyway)

-Download the BootCD...Boot it

-Change Disk, remove bootCD and insert your OSX Install DVD

-Wait 5 seconds...Press [F5]

-Selected the OSX INSTALL DVD...Press [Enter]

This work fine but :

-Wait...Then the installer should appear within a min or two...
Black screen and after some second Shuttle screen logo and then the OS installed on the HD start (in my case Ubuntu 9.10 on ext4 partition if this help).

Is my bios seeting wrong ?

Should I try to inverse my sata cable (one for the slim optical drive installed by Shuttle, the other for my WD Caviar Black 500Go) on the mother board (an stupid idea I think but at least ....).

Uhmmm i know this may sound stupid, but how do i boot SL in 32 bit mode? and can i change the boot the show less verbose information?

32 bit is for my wlan driver Zydas1215. And less information because i dont need it anymore :)

I suppose you took my com.apple.boot.plist from my extra folder

then you are already in 32bit mode, you can check it by going to apple menu -> about this mac ->more info -> software

on the right hand side of the windows you will se " 64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No"

(or "Yes" if you are in 64bit)

in /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist

(open that file with textedit)

basically it needs "arch=i386" for 32bit

and in that same file right next to it there is a "-v", remove it to get the apple logo instead of verbose

This work fine but :

Black screen and after some second Shuttle screen logo and then the OS installed on the HD start (in my case Ubuntu 9.10 on ext4 partition if this help).

Is my bios seeting wrong ?

Should I try to inverse my sata cable (one for the slim optical drive installed by Shuttle, the other for my WD Caviar Black 500Go) on the mother board (an stupid idea I think but at least ....).

I wish someone else with a DVD player and a 45/48 woudl test the BootCD to see if they get to the install screen...

all I know is that it worked fine in my workstation (SATA DVD drive), where I have 6 hard drive mix of IDE and SATA, and it worked perfectly well without being confused...

if I have time this week end I'll pull ou out the DVD player and connect it to the shuttle and see...

I suppose you took my com.apple.boot.plist from my extra folder

then you are already in 32bit mode, you can check it by going to apple menu -> about this mac ->more info -> software

on the right hand side of the windows you will se " 64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No"

(or "Yes" if you are in 64bit)

in /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist

(open that file with textedit)

basically it needs "arch=i386" for 32bit

and in that same file right next to it there is a "-v", remove it to get the apple logo instead of verbose

Thanks i will try it tonight. As for your bootcd, i have an ide dvd player, do you need to test it with one fo those?

I wish someone else with a DVD player and a 45/48 woudl test the BootCD to see if they get to the install screen...

all I know is that it worked fine in my workstation (SATA DVD drive), where I have 6 hard drive mix of IDE and SATA, and it worked perfectly well without being confused...

if I have time this week end I'll pull ou out the DVD player and connect it to the shuttle and see...

Similar with mine: message "booting from CD" and after a few seconds starting from my normal HD installation. The ISO I used initially waited for an input (drive no. in hex) and then started. I don't have the old link available, but if this is important for you, I can search a little deeper. In any case I have that old CD-ISO and could post it anywhere.

Similar with mine: message "booting from CD" and after a few seconds starting from my normal HD installation. The ISO I used initially waited for an input (drive no. in hex) and then started. I don't have the old link available, but if this is important for you, I can search a little deeper. In any case I have that old CD-ISO and could post it anywhere.

Ok Hank61, do you want to mean that the BootCD work for You ?

With it I can boot to my HDD (Ubuntu 9.10 or now iATKOS V7) but I can't start the Snow Leopard Retail Install DVD, it see it, I select it (via chamelon screen) but instead of launching it, it boot to my HDD.

I finally succeded on installing IATKOS V7 in my K45se (tested USB/LAN/Sound working, shut down not working) but my goal is still Snow Leopard retail Install from the Install DVD I bought.

So now I'll try to install via USB method (perharps via external USD HDD as I don't how a USB Stick of 8Go). But I think I'll found some probleme as I can't boot on my Ubuntu Live USB (9.04 on a 1Go USB Stick) with my K45se (whar do you choose as first bott device in Bios, mine is version F and I can choos USB FDD, USB Cdrom, USB Zip, ....).

Thank you evrybody for your help, after reading a lot I start to understand the Kext, DSDT and other (a bit but it's new for me and very interesting).

Ok Hank61, do you want to mean that the BootCD work for You ?

Thymallus, sorry for writing misunderstandingly. No, the BootCD doesn't work; same as yours, only that your system boots into your Ubuntu HD and mine in my existing OS X one.

When I initially installed 10.5, I used this Boot-CD-ROM ISO:

http://redirectingat.com/?id=292X457&u...F%3Fzkemd1lz3yy

(This comes from post #110 on page http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...9009&st=100 )

This one boots "correctly" by giving you an option to choose a boot device (here: re-choosing CD) and starting the 10.5 installer, but it DOES NOT start the 10.6 install. So maybe anyone is able to modify this ISO into anything that contains components needed for 10.6 installation. Anyway, this is only interesting for anyone who doesn't have any access to an existing OS X system for setting up the thing as Eliade described.

no yet

many people have problems, but it will be possible for us

with my latest pack, I think the only thing we need to make sure is that we have the latest sleepenabler.kext

so just remove the one we have and the mkext if you have one (and reboot) then update to 10.6.2

then use that sleepenabler after you have at least rebooted once:

http://files.netkas.org/10.6.2/SleepEnabler.kext.zip

the computer will most likely reboot twice after the update, that's how leopard handled updates (even on real macs), so don't think it's broken after the first reboot

if anyone is brave enough and with enough time in front of you and who has a time machine backup, use the latest pack (minus sleep enabler) so that we are all on the same page.

then go ahead and update and let us know, if it doesn't work just start the reinstall process, and at the install screen select "restore from time machine" (in one of the toolbar menu), you may have to run kext utility to repair some permissions

then use that sleepenabler (not matter what, whether you are in 10.6.1 or 10.6.2)

http://files.netkas.org/10.6.2/SleepEnabler.kext.zip

So now I'll try to install via USB method (perharps via external USD HDD as I don't how a USB Stick of 8Go). But I think I'll found some probleme as I can't boot on my Ubuntu Live USB (9.04 on a 1Go USB Stick) with my K45se (whar do you choose as first bott device in Bios, mine is version F and I can choos USB FDD, USB Cdrom, USB Zip, ....).

that's what I use, a USB HDD (I don't have an 8gb flash drive either), along with snow leopard dvd (bought in an apple store)

it should be recognized under HDD just like any internal one ( I have a western digital my passport)

the critical part to boot on the USB drive is to install chameleon rc2 and replace boot file (or chameleon RC3)