 [QUICK GUIDE] SHUTTLE K45/K48 running Snow Leopard

Squirrelf

285 posts in this topic

do any of you still have leopard with ide working?

if so download osxtools

http://p c w i z c o m p u t e r . c o m /index.php?Itemid=48&id=91&option=com_content&task=view

click the view pci device / vendor id

do whatever it ask you to do

at some point you'll get a screen with a bunch of stuff

copy and paste it here

that screen may have valuable info about our board ich7/ide

Not having ide enabled in bios I don't think we'll have the info... that's why it must be on leo where ide worked

Eliade, do you mean the LSCPI info? This is mine running 10.5.8 with (working) IDE enabled:

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ/P/PL Memory Controller Hub [8086:2770] (rev 02)

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2772] (rev 02)

00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller [8086:27d8] (rev 01)

00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 [8086:27d0] (rev 01)

00:1c.1 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 [8086:27d2] (rev 01)

00:1d.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 [8086:27c8] (rev 01)

00:1d.1 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 [8086:27c9] (rev 01)

00:1d.2 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 [8086:27ca] (rev 01)

00:1d.3 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 [8086:27cb] (rev 01)

00:1d.7 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller [8086:27cc] (rev 01)

00:1e.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge [8086:244e] (rev e1)

00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Bridge [8086:27b8] (rev 01)

00:1f.1 IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller [8086:27df] (rev 01)

00:1f.2 IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller [8086:27c0] (rev 01)

00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller [8086:27da] (rev 01)

02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller [11ab:4364] (rev 12)

yes exactly,

I'm sur the k45/48 have the same exact thing

only thing is that the k45 has a "crippled" video card

and k48 has a "crippled" PCI port

besides that I'm sure they are 100% identical especially related to IDE/Sata

I don't have time to look into it right now (english essay and physics exam) but around this friday I'll see what I can do...

So if you change the version number to 2.9.9

instead of 2.5.0, it will load from extra/extentions (otherwise KP)

and still have a vanilla system, meaning that after an update to 10.6.x ide should still work

same as from the other thread, only thing I changed is the version number in the info.plist (in 3 places)

IOATAFamily.kext.zip

so this thing should work until version 2.9.8

if there is a 2.9.9 then just change the version number to something higher

guess you could set it to 9.9.9 lol

I suppose this is safe enough to install osx on an IDE drive

===================================

===================================

I believe that's it ...

our mini hack is absolutely perfect (besides sleep for some), and should hopefully fly through any updates of snow leopard

and technically I think all the kext are 64bit compatible, as I said not needed for us, but the option is there

I'll update the pack on the first post with everything

Hank61, have you tried dual monitor?

OK!! Sleep works in snow Leopard!!!!

Here it is my DSDT

Backup your own before you use mine!!!!

I believe it should work for you just fine. I have tried in 2 different K45 boxes.

Make sure you disable "RUN VGABIOS if S3 RESUME" in the CMOS Setup.

post-64173-1254103287_thumb.jpg

Hope this help

what version of the bios are you running

so that I try and find it, bacuase I think the new bios is the reason sleep doesn't work even with same settings and dsdt as you have

... Hank61, have you tried dual monitor? ...

No, only one at DVI running. As far as I know, a 2nd monitor would be possible independently at VGA/analog, but I found a analog connection at 1280*1024 poor quality; thus I will rather "upgrade" to a 1900*1200 panel than use a 2nd one. (K48 has no PCI port for an extra gfx card)

By the way: the kext of the link already resides within /extras, the version no. doesn't seem nessacary. But I will check over the weekend.

I also had no luck with sleep (which doesn't matter for me). If i try, always hard shutdown is needed, and this seems to crash /extra permissions every time - I cannot boot until I repair permissions in /extra and /s/l/e with terminal.

No, only one at DVI running. As far as I know, a 2nd monitor would be possible independently at VGA/analog, but I found a analog connection at 1280*1024 poor quality; thus I will rather "upgrade" to a 1900*1200 panel than use a 2nd one. (K48 has no PCI port for an extra gfx card)

By the way: the kext of the link already resides within /extras, the version no. doesn't seem nessacary. But I will check over the weekend.

I also had no luck with sleep (which doesn't matter for me). If i try, always hard shutdown is needed, and this seems to crash /extra permissions every time - I cannot boot until I repair permissions in /extra and /s/l/e with terminal.

I tried on my usb install hd

and I needed the version change in order to work

haven't tried with original version number in extra of my snow leo partiition

even if it is working now without changing the version no, I beleive that when a new version of that kext is released by apple, it will have priority over the one in Extra/extensions

about sleep same for me

and today I couldn't boot, it would stall but without KP

powering off the power supply for 30sec however fixed it

===================

does your dsdt has all the fix I posted in the how to?

if so could you post it and I'll add it to the pack...

This is my DSDT (for Shuttle K48) incl. the fixes in your how-to and the patch described for GMA950 within your download files.

DSDT_aml_K48.zip

Thanks Eliade and Hank61, i got my shuttle k48 to work with the information you provided, but its running on 32bit mode. When I remove arch=i386 -v from the com.apple.Boot.plist i get a PK, is there something i am missing or SL for the K48 only can run in a 32bit mode?

FYI:

Bios is set to default, no changes(disabled/enabled) where made.

Thanks Eliade and Hank61, i got my shuttle k48 to work with the information you provided, but its running on 32bit mode. When I remove arch=i386 -v from the com.apple.Boot.plist i get a PK, is there something i am missing or SL for the K48 only can run in a 32bit mode?

FYI:

I just haven't tried 64-bit yet, also because I'm sure it will not speed up anything right now. But FYI:

To run 64-bit, ALL your kexts have to be 64-bit (other than applications: 32-bit apps can run inside 64-bit kernel).

You can check with System profiler -> Software -> Extensions in the "64-bit (Intel)" column - I'm sure you have some "no's" there ...

FYI:

as Hawk said running 64bit won't do much

running 64bit app will speed up (try geekbench 32 vs 64bit)

but since 32bit kernel can run 64bit app (unlike windows 32bit) than you won't have speed increase in 64bit at all...

the only reason why you would use 64bit kernel

is if you have more than 4GB of Ram AND if one of your software need more than 4GB on it own

i.e. allowing photoshop to use more than 4GB (which won't happen anyway since it is running in 32bit, thus limited to 4GB even in 64bit kernel...)

as of now I don't have one single 64bit software that uses more than 4GB

(I would if they had 64bit version like photoshop, Maya, etc ....)

so even on my workstation with 8GB I run in 32bit... (but I can boot in 64 without problem)

if you have more than 4GB but no software using 4GB just for itself you won't see one difference in 64bit (well it would be very insignificant)....

Since you have a k45/k48 which are both limited to 4GB max (2x2GB) you absolutely won't see any difference

furthermore, VMware fusion does not work in 64bit kernel... which I use on my workstation (also a hackintosh)

for all these reasons Apple have all their machine booting in 32bit (even the MacPro 8core with 32GB of ram), only their server run in 64bit kernel

thus I'm not going to break my head to make it work in 64bit

as hawk said the only thing that won't let you go into 64bit kernel is the kext in the extra folder

in my pack some are 64bit compatible

except voodoopowermini

and IOATAFAMILY is maybe 32bit only (IDE)

and IOnetworking is maybe 32bit only (LAN)

and ALC662 is maybe 32bit only (sound)

but still you won't see a difference in speed...

:)

what version of the bios are you running

so that I try and find it, bacuase I think the new bios is the reason sleep doesn't work even with same settings and dsdt as you have

Well, that's weird. In the two boxes I tested it it worked. Box one is running the default Bios version, box two is running the updated version SK45U10I.BIN. I have IDE disabled and Force Gen II enable.

These are the kext in my extra folder if I'm not mistaken

ALC662.kext

fakesmc.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

I have an extra K45 box here which I'm also gonna be setting up soon. I'm gonna video tape the entire process and post it here

as Hawk said running 64bit won't do much

running 64bit app will speed up (try geekbench 32 vs 64bit)

but since 32bit kernel can run 64bit app (unlike windows 32bit) than you won't have speed increase in 64bit at all...

the only reason why you would use 64bit kernel

is if you have more than 4GB of Ram AND if one of your software need more than 4GB on it own

i.e. allowing photoshop to use more than 4GB (which won't happen anyway since it is running in 32bit, thus limited to 4GB even in 64bit kernel...)

as of now I don't have one single 64bit software that uses more than 4GB

(I would if they had 64bit version like photoshop, Maya, etc ....)

so even on my workstation with 8GB I run in 32bit... (but I can boot in 64 without problem)

if you have more than 4GB but no software using 4GB just for itself you won't see one difference in 64bit (well it would be very insignificant)....

Since you have a k45/k48 which are both limited to 4GB max (2x2GB) you absolutely won't see any difference

furthermore, VMware fusion does not work in 64bit kernel... which I use on my workstation (also a hackintosh)

for all these reasons Apple have all their machine booting in 32bit (even the MacPro 8core with 32GB of ram), only their server run in 64bit kernel

thus I'm not going to break my head to make it work in 64bit

as hawk said the only thing that won't let you go into 64bit kernel is the kext in the extra folder

in my pack some are 64bit compatible

except voodoopowermini

and IOATAFAMILY is maybe 32bit only (IDE)

and IOnetworking is maybe 32bit only (LAN)

and ALC662 is maybe 32bit only (sound)

but still you won't see a difference in speed...

;)

Thanks for the update.

Ok, here it is! - How to get Sleep to work in your K45

Regardless which Bios version you are using this should work for you. I have tested it myself in 3 Shuttles so far.

The newer Bios version is actually better.

I'm attaching my DSDT, SleepEnabler.kext and IOUSBFamily.kext

This DSDT works fine on 3 different Shuttles (No reasons why it won't work for you)

1- Download DSDT, SleepEnabler.kext and IOUSBFamily.kext

2- Drop the DSDT in your /Extra/ folder

3- Drop the SleepEnabler.kext in your /Extra/Extensions/ folder (x32 and x64)

4- Using Kext Utility, drag the /Extensions folder into Kext Utility and let it do it's work (It's repairing permissions and packing kext files to mkext cache file.

5- Using Kext Helper install the IOUSBFamily.kext

6- Open Disk Utility and repair permissions OR using terminal "sudo diskutil repairpermissions /"

7- Restart

8- Get into the CMOS Setup (Bios).

Make sure "RUN VGABIOS if S3 RESUME" is disable in your configuration.

9- Boot up

10 -Test Sleep and enjoy!

Youtube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjC9rUpdjFc

Kexts.zip

Great thanks, I'll try that very soon and let you know

edit

IT WORKED but only once per boot

second time I sleep it the power light stay's on, and I must kill the system, then must actually kill the PSU otherwise it hangs during boot (without KP), I've seen people with a similar problem a long time ago...

this is with IDE disabled but still have the IDE kext, I'll try without it

I'll also have voodoopowermini, I test without it too

wake on lan works from sleep which is great news

BUT just like my my workstation hackintosh, as soon as I boot Snow Leo wake on lan stops working from full shutdown, still works from sleep though which is the most important

shutting down the PSU, start booting and force shutdown, makes WOL work from full shutdown, or booting in another system and shuting down WOL still work from full shutdown

I wonder what in snow leo makes that happen...

EDIT:

even without the IDE kext and without voodoopowermini I have the problem

Great thanks, I'll try that very soon and let you know

edit

IT WORKED but only once per boot

second time I sleep it the power light stay's on, and I must kill the system, then must actually kill the PSU otherwise it hangs during boot (without KP), I've seen people with a similar problem a long time ago...

this is with IDE disabled but still have the IDE kext, I'll try without it

wake on lan works which is great news (doesn't work on my workstation hackintosh, as soon as I boot Snow Leo wake on lan stops working from full shutdown, still works from sleep though which is the most important)

I do not have the IDE kext. You know this is a hit or miss thing. I have sent my K45 to sleep over 10 times, it works for me. Give it a try without the IDE Kext.

463e2c66cf6feca24ecf125721e1d932.png

I do not experience that issue after a restart. IDE kext could be the problem... Remove it, rebuild /Extensions cache and restart.

Neither the old Bios not the new one gives me that issue. Let's keep working on it. We are getting closer every time :(

I'm trying optimized default, maybe i did something someday

only disabling IDE

and vga wake from S3 set to NO

EDIT:

that didn't do it, same problem, after second sleep, screen blanks out but power light remains on

Are you using my DSDT and the kexts I posted? Make sure you drag the /Extensions folder to the Kext Utility to rebuild cache and repair permissions

Are you using my DSDT and the kexts I posted? Make sure you drag the /Extensions folder to the Kext Utility to rebuild cache and repair permissions

yes, exactly the same kexts

edit:

went a little fast I actually have IOUSBFAMILY in my extra

in the mkext it should load

what is it for?

is it the usb removal fix after sleep ?

well mkext didn't change a thing

I'll try IOUSBFAMILY in S/L/E

yes, exactly the same kexts

edit:

went a little fast I actually have IOUSBFAMILY in my extra

in the mkext it should load

what is it for?

Did you finally get it working?

Pretty much. I edited the Info.plist in System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBEHCI.kext/Contents/

Added these lines

<key>OSBundleCompatibleVersion</key>

<string>1.0</string>

under

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>3.7.5</string>

Because the system will disable the mouse and keyboard after coming from sleep.

Use Kext Helper or terminal. Yeah, load it from it in S/L/E that's the fix you are missing.

I think we really got it this time :( Now I need a beer