 [QUICK GUIDE] SHUTTLE K45/K48 running Snow Leopard

Squirrelf

285 posts in this topic

I'm sure they do, thanks for the link !!! well now there is hope

(btw I have lion running on my ga-ep45-ud3r yippi)

after reading that post on blow capacitor, I know it is the problem...

thankfully not the same capacitor between the two K45, 8 are blown on the newer K45, but only 1 on the older K45 (a different one), so if one capacitor exchange can revive at least one k45 that would be great... I lost my soldering iron, so unless I find it tonight or tomorrow, I'll go buy a new one and start working in it next week... then will order new caps for the second k45, only problem is I don't have another cpu or ram to run the second k45

well you might all see me back very soon...

While you have them both open, you might as well upgrade them both with all new caps.

Maybe you'll do a Lion HowTo in the future?

While you have them both open, you might as well upgrade them both with all new caps.

Maybe you'll do a Lion HowTo in the future?

as soon as i have at least one working I will post a how to lion...

I have a little time in front of me right now, I'll look if i can find that lost soldering iron.

edit:(FOUND IT)

but I'll eventually order new caps for both shuttle

wasn't easy, but I did it, since one board had only one bad cap (which was good on the other board) I did the cap transfer...

IT BOOTED it's alive !!!

now I need caps to revive the second shuttle

thank you Mage66

I had that hard drive in my other machine with lion on it already

it booted without issues, I now still have

no ethernet,

no sound

no video support (one one resolution available)

no sleep

... but it is running !!!

restart works

===================================

AND it died again.... :thumbsup_anim:

after 40min of life.....

I rebooted it a few time to test new kext and post screen never came back after a couple reboot

same as before, fan spin, won't post ...

well now it seems I'm doomed to buy new better quality caps to revive them...

====================================

Would anybody know,where and what brand and specific choice of capacitor i need ?

I now which capacitance and voltage but beyond that I'm lost

1000uf - 10v (RLP 0832 105°C) (a single one per motherboard)

the other motherboard (non burned version of those is RLP 0816 instead of 0832)

1800uf - 6.3v (RLZ 0736 105°C) (8 of those one one board, but I'll change all the ones on that other board even if not dead yet, so I need 16 of those)

are my current bad ones

=============

And it is Alive again... I don't understand

seemed like letting it rest helped, but as soon as I plugin the HD again it would not post...

I change power supply, and it worked

========

and it's dead again....

something is definitely wrong...

============

still won't post...

but it will post after a little while, while the PSU is connected, could it be an almost dead capacitor charging up very slowly... and only when it has enough juice, the machine will start... who knows... I have basic knowledge but not an expert in anyway...

well I'm done for now

but if anyone could help with capacitor that would be awesome !!!

wasn't easy, but I did it, since one board had only one bad cap (which was good on the other board) I did the cap transfer...

IT BOOTED it's alive !!!

now I need caps to revive the second shuttle

thank you Mage66

GREAT!!!!

Glad I could help you.

I hope it might help you.

I got the same problem and fixed it. Now it's been 1 year and half to use it with no issue.

I did exactly the same as this following link :

http://us.shuttle.com/scgforum/tm.aspx?m=3212

And, I ordered and used this capacitor kit :

http://www.badcaps.net/store/product_info....products_id=121

It worked great.

And, now, I have question. I wanted to install SL on my K45. but every time I try to install it, it reboots even before I see the white screen with apple logo.

Could you help me out? I've built several machine and all successful except for this K45.

I used your method (usb) and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]+[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method. same result; boot with whatever boot cd, choose usb drive that I restored 10.6.3 retail to, and black screen, 3 sec later, auto reboot.

I really want to install on it. Please help me.

• 9 months later...

Installation method:

1) ###### + ###### + 10.6.3 "retail" DVD,

2) User DSDT specified,

3) Voodoo 32-/64-bit specified,

4) 32-bit com.apple.Boot.plist specified,

5) Apply 10.6.7 Combo Update, and, finally,

6) Restart into 10.6.7.

Presently running 10.6.7 with all software updates, and with updated Developer code, too.

I've got 10.6.3 running successfully using the steps from the March 11, 2011 update at the top of this thread using a retail DVD, but I used the files from "

Shuttle_K45_K48___SnowLeopard_10.6.6.zip"

and did NOT use ######.

can I just do the following on my working 10.6.3 system:

1)

###### + ###### + 10.6.3 "retail" DVD,

(skip, start from working 10.6.3)

2) User DSDT specified,

do I use files from

2011_03_22X_Shuttle_dsdt.aml.zip (I am usng a SATA HD)

3) Voodoo 32-/64-bit specified,

(skip, but I don't care about sound)

4) 32-bit com.apple.Boot.plist specified,

(done)

5) Apply 10.6.7 Combo Update, and, finally,

6) Restart into 10.6.7

Also, can I use the 10.6.8 combo update and get the same results?

Many thanks, m.

• 2 years later...

I recently pulled my Shuttle K45 off the shelf, and decided to play with it again. It had 10.5.8, and that is quite old now.

I upgraded the processor to a Core 2 Duo 2ghz, and added a GB of RAM to make 2gb total. It also has a 400gb SATA drive and a slimline DVD-RW drive. I bought a $5.00 Ralink USB wireless adapter on eBay to add WIFI to the system.

Many things don't run on 10.5.8. So, I decided that since it wasn't useful, I'd try this guide and bring it up to 10.6.x.

I had a 10.6.3 Install DVD, and used that to make the USB stick. I followed the instructions, and all went pretty well. But, when I ran the software update to go to 10.6.8, the system would crash on boot.

Based on the text on the screen, there was something about 64bit Kernel mode that it didn't like.So, I put it back to 10.6.3 and found the terminal command line to default the system to 32bit Kernel. I only have 2gb of RAM anyway, so no advantage to 64bit Kernel.

This time, the upgrade to 10.6.8 took, and all I had to do was copy the AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.2 to get the sound back. SleepEnabler.kext crashes the system, so since I don't care about sleep mode, I removed it using terminal, while booted to the USB stick.

Seems to be runing ok now. Though a few things like VLC Player don't install properly.

Anyone know if I can put anything newer on here?