you're my hero

Yoni Yoni

Yoni Yoni

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

what version of the bios are you running
so that I try and find it, bacuase I think the new bios is the reason sleep doesn't work even with same settings and dsdt as you have

Well, that's weird. In the two boxes I tested it it worked. Box one is running the default Bios version, box two is running the updated version SK45U10I.BIN. I have IDE disabled and Force Gen II enable.

These are the kext in my extra folder if I'm not mistaken

ALC662.kext
fakesmc.kext
IONetworkingFamily.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
OpenHaltRestart.kext
PlatformUUID.kext

I have an extra K45 box here which I'm also gonna be setting up soon. I'm gonna video tape the entire process and post it here

CrCoOl

CrCoOl

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

as Hawk said running 64bit won't do much
running 64bit app will speed up (try geekbench 32 vs 64bit)
but since 32bit kernel can run 64bit app (unlike windows 32bit) than you won't have speed increase in 64bit at all...

the only reason why you would use 64bit kernel
is if you have more than 4GB of Ram AND if one of your software need more than 4GB on it own
i.e. allowing photoshop to use more than 4GB (which won't happen anyway since it is running in 32bit, thus limited to 4GB even in 64bit kernel...)
as of now I don't have one single 64bit software that uses more than 4GB
(I would if they had 64bit version like photoshop, Maya, etc ....)
so even on my workstation with 8GB I run in 32bit... (but I can boot in 64 without problem)

if you have more than 4GB but no software using 4GB just for itself you won't see one difference in 64bit (well it would be very insignificant)....

Since you have a k45/k48 which are both limited to 4GB max (2x2GB) you absolutely won't see any difference

furthermore, VMware fusion does not work in 64bit kernel... which I use on my workstation (also a hackintosh)

for all these reasons Apple have all their machine booting in 32bit (even the MacPro 8core with 32GB of ram), only their server run in 64bit kernel

thus I'm not going to break my head to make it work in 64bit

as hawk said the only thing that won't let you go into 64bit kernel is the kext in the extra folder
in my pack some are 64bit compatible

except voodoopowermini
and IOATAFAMILY is maybe 32bit only (IDE)
and IOnetworking is maybe 32bit only (LAN)
and ALC662 is maybe 32bit only (sound)

but still you won't see a difference in speed...

;)

Thanks for the update.

Yoni Yoni

Yoni Yoni

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Ok, here it is! - How to get Sleep to work in your K45

Regardless which Bios version you are using this should work for you. I have tested it myself in 3 Shuttles so far.

The newer Bios version is actually better.

I'm attaching my DSDT, SleepEnabler.kext and IOUSBFamily.kext

This DSDT works fine on 3 different Shuttles (No reasons why it won't work for you)

1- Download DSDT, SleepEnabler.kext and IOUSBFamily.kext
2- Drop the DSDT in your /Extra/ folder
3- Drop the SleepEnabler.kext in your /Extra/Extensions/ folder (x32 and x64)
4- Using Kext Utility, drag the /Extensions folder into Kext Utility and let it do it's work (It's repairing permissions and packing kext files to mkext cache file.
5- Using Kext Helper install the IOUSBFamily.kext
6- Open Disk Utility and repair permissions OR using terminal "sudo diskutil repairpermissions /"
7- Restart
8- Get into the CMOS Setup (Bios).
Make sure "RUN VGABIOS if S3 RESUME" is disable in your configuration.
9- Boot up
10 -Test Sleep and enjoy!

Youtube Video:

Attached File  Kexts.zip   1.08MB   60 downloads

Eliade

Eliade

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
Great thanks, I'll try that very soon and let you know
edit
IT WORKED but only once per boot
second time I sleep it the power light stay's on, and I must kill the system, then must actually kill the PSU otherwise it hangs during boot (without KP), I've seen people with a similar problem a long time ago...
this is with IDE disabled but still have the IDE kext, I'll try without it
I'll also have voodoopowermini, I test without it too

wake on lan works from sleep which is great news
BUT just like my my workstation hackintosh, as soon as I boot Snow Leo wake on lan stops working from full shutdown, still works from sleep though which is the most important
shutting down the PSU, start booting and force shutdown, makes WOL work from full shutdown, or booting in another system and shuting down WOL still work from full shutdown
I wonder what in snow leo makes that happen...

EDIT:
even without the IDE kext and without voodoopowermini I have the problem

Yoni Yoni

Yoni Yoni

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Great thanks, I'll try that very soon and let you know
edit
IT WORKED but only once per boot
second time I sleep it the power light stay's on, and I must kill the system, then must actually kill the PSU otherwise it hangs during boot (without KP), I've seen people with a similar problem a long time ago...
this is with IDE disabled but still have the IDE kext, I'll try without it

wake on lan works which is great news (doesn't work on my workstation hackintosh, as soon as I boot Snow Leo wake on lan stops working from full shutdown, still works from sleep though which is the most important)

I do not have the IDE kext. You know this is a hit or miss thing. I have sent my K45 to sleep over 10 times, it works for me. Give it a try without the IDE Kext.

Posted Image

I do not experience that issue after a restart. IDE kext could be the problem... Remove it, rebuild /Extensions cache and restart.

Neither the old Bios not the new one gives me that issue. Let's keep working on it. We are getting closer every time :(

Eliade

Eliade

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
I'm trying optimized default, maybe i did something someday
only disabling IDE
and vga wake from S3 set to NO

EDIT:
that didn't do it, same problem, after second sleep, screen blanks out but power light remains on
I'll try the mkext

Yoni Yoni

Yoni Yoni

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

I'm trying optimized default, maybe i did something someday
only disabling IDE
and vga wake from S3 set to NO

EDIT:
that didn't do it, same problem, after second sleep, screen blanks out but power light remains on

Are you using my DSDT and the kexts I posted? Make sure you drag the /Extensions folder to the Kext Utility to rebuild cache and repair permissions

Eliade

Eliade

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Are you using my DSDT and the kexts I posted? Make sure you drag the /Extensions folder to the Kext Utility to rebuild cache and repair permissions

yes, exactly the same kexts
edit:
went a little fast I actually have IOUSBFAMILY in my extra
in the mkext it should load
what is it for?
is it the usb removal fix after sleep ?

well mkext didn't change a thing
I'll try IOUSBFAMILY in S/L/E

Yoni Yoni

Yoni Yoni

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

yes, exactly the same kexts
edit:
went a little fast I actually have IOUSBFAMILY in my extra
in the mkext it should load
what is it for?

Did you finally get it working?

Pretty much. I edited the Info.plist in System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBEHCI.kext/Contents/

Added these lines

<key>OSBundleCompatibleVersion</key>

<string>1.0</string>

under

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>3.7.5</string>

Because the system will disable the mouse and keyboard after coming from sleep.

Use Kext Helper or terminal. Yeah, load it from it in S/L/E that's the fix you are missing.

I think we really got it this time :( Now I need a beer

Eliade

Eliade

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Did you finally get it working?

Pretty much. I edited the Info.plist in System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBEHCI.kext/Contents/€

Added these lines
€€ <key>OSBundleCompatibleVersion</key>
€ <string>1.0</string>€

€under
€€ <key>CFBundleVersion</key>€
<string>3.7.5</string>

Because the system will disable the mouse and keyboard after coming from sleep.

Use Kext Helper or terminal. You have to have IOUSBFamily.kext in System/Leopard/Extensions. It works only 1 time for you because it is not loading the kext after coming from sleep the first time.

then it must already be loading because using it in E/E
my mouse would still work
I'll try anyway in S/L/E

-----

FROM SLE IT WORKED, so it wasn't loading from E/E
I'll try changing the version to make it work from E/E

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

------

can you elaborate on the OSBundleCompatibleVersion line you added
I'd like to understand

Yoni Yoni

Yoni Yoni

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
KOOL!

Thank YOU for providing this great guide for everyone to success with the SL install. Glad you got it working.

Eliade

Eliade

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
GOT A BETTER WAY

no SLE changes at all

using Sleepenabler and DSDT fix (same fix used on my workstation)
no more usbehci kext mod
so we still have vanilla system and 99% update proof

that's worth a new Pack update :)

-------------------

Pack is now updated with working SLEEP, using dsdt and sleepenablerr.kext

should work on any K45/k48 and any bios version
wake on lan from sleep works great for those interested

I also added the how to DSDT fix at the end of the first post if you want to do it manually...

AS OF TODAY, WE OFFICALLY HAVE ONE OF THE BEST HACKINTOSH EVER, LOL
ABSOLUTLY, and I MEAN ABSOLUTLY EVERYTHING WORKS, every little thing is working
(unless you find something wrong :D )

IDE
SATA
SLEEP
GIGABIT ETHERNET
BONJOUR
SPEEDSTEP
WAKE ON LAN
and 99% update proof, because it's 100% vanilla
Chameleon WORKS GREAT FROM EFI PARTITION
and freaking easy to install

whoever tells me 64bit doesn't work just read my previous "long" post about it, in a few words, you will have no speed increase because K45/K48 is limited to 4GB anyway, but I'm not saying that 64bit app won't be faster, they are faster, but they already run faster in 32bit anyway... and real mac run in 32bit kernel too

in the system pref / energy saver , even schedule wake from full shutdown works....

Yoni Yoni

Yoni Yoni

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Great job!

This is by far the easiest installation I have ever made. I don't believe there is other guide simpler than this one out there. Good to know everything has been tested and most likely we will end up with a 99.9% vanilla install.

You've done a lot. Like the idea of loading it from the DSDT better :)

I believe my next & last step is to run soft-RAID0 in the K45 I wanna see how it performs with a Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM in a RAID0 disk array

This little box is powerful enough.

Eliade

Eliade

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Great job!

This is by far the easiest installation I have ever made. I don't believe there is other guide simpler than this one out there. Good to know everything has been tested and most likely we will end up with a 99.9% vanilla install.

You've done a lot. Like the idea of loading it from the DSDT better :(

I believe my next & last step is to run soft-RAID0 in the K45 I wanna see how it performs with a Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM in a RAID0 disk array

This little box is powerful enough.

good luck
it's not very hard, raid itself can be done without much explanation apple made it so simple with the disk utility (I use raid0 on my workstation for my timemachine disk on two 160GB)
the hardest part is where and how to setup chameleon, because the bios can't read the a split boot file, but there are nice tutorials for that ... one trick is that a tiny standalone partition exist on at least one of the disk that your bios can access and read the boot file... and from there it's just automatic magic with chameleon RC2 once booted, does the rest of the job to boot OSX :-)
I did raid0 by fooling around once very temporarily on snow leo drive on my workstation... 110MB/s read/write....

Yoni Yoni

Yoni Yoni

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I have done soft-RAID for data storage many times. Though, I have never configured RAID0 in my hackintosh as my main OS drive. I'll have to research. I know for a fact I need 2 drives, set them as RAID0 and clone my OS drive into the RAID array. From there I have to actually google to see how it is done. I have no idea, specially because I know that there will be 1 small extra partition in my RAIDed disks. Getting that to boot properly takes some research first.

Hank61

Hank61

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
Thanks to Eliade and Yoni Yoni - now sleep and everything else is running perfectly on my K48 (ok, except Bootcamp, I think ...)! Yes, we have a fantastic box now; I would NOT change this for a Mac mini (laptop technology - not ideal for whole-day work) or an iMac (glossy "mirror" display - absolutely inacceptable)! If Apple had a better product conception in theit budget and midrange lines (and other prices with their Pro macs), I think hackintosh would not be such a topic.

By the way - do you have 2 or 4 GByte of RAM working? I've heard in former forums, that our chipset would only support 3 GByte RAM within Mac OS even if 4 GByte is installed, but don't know if this is still valid with SL ... If not, of course it now would make sense upgrading to 4 Gigs.

Yoni Yoni

Yoni Yoni

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

By the way - do you have 2 or 4 GByte of RAM working? I've heard in former forums, that our chipset would only support 3 GByte RAM within Mac OS even if 4 GByte is installed, but don't know if this is still valid with SL ... If not, of course it now would make sense upgrading to 4 Gigs.

3.3GB is the max usable RAM.

Eliade

Eliade

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

ok, except Bootcamp, I think ...

LOL :P

You understand what book camp is?
it's basically chameleon in reverse
chameleon emulate EFI using a real bios, then OSX runs natively
whereas bootcamp is emulating BIOS from real efi, then windows run natively, and bookcamp is also an easy to use installer and a package of driver for windows, designed with only apple products in mind.... so of course it won't work a hackintosh like we have ... ;)

I didn't know OSX only saw 3.3GB with the shuttle...

peco

peco

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I cannot manage to make the install work on my k45.
I just followed exactly the procedure but the installation process when graphics part comes up only shows a grey screen!
The k45 is not freezed because I can see the usb stick led blinking when I use keyboard ... but nothing on the screen.

Please can somebody help me ?

Thanks a lot,
Greg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy